Ronnie Brown - Fantasy Tease, Reality Nightmare

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
skip
GOAT
GOAT

Ronnie Brown - Fantasy Tease, Reality Nightmare

Postby skip » Mon May 24, 2010 5:05 am

The Jamaal Charles thread turned into a pro- and anti- Ronnie Brown thread, so it made total sense to simply start up this thread. And I have titled it appropriately, imho... I have done so in order to post this:

Ronnie Brown (Lisfranc fracture) admitted that he's still not 100 percent and sometimes still has soreness in his foot.
Brown surprisingly participated in last week's offseason workouts, but isn't even certain he'll be completely healthy by training camp. He appears to be ahead of schedule, but will be a big injury risk on fantasy draft day.

Rather than wait until the season to get hurt this year, Brown has already set the red flags waving early in the offseason in order to give his current and potential owners enough time to prepare for the inevitable.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

nightmarion
All Pro
All Pro

Postby nightmarion » Mon May 24, 2010 5:30 am

And like I posted in the Charles thread, he has only missed significant time in 2 of his 5 seasons. Not the first top back to do that and won't be the last

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon May 24, 2010 5:50 am

Here are several items I don't like about Ronnie Brown:

1) Injuries - He has missed significant playing time in 2 of the last 3 seasons.

2) Age - Everyone points to an aging Ricky Williams; Ronnie Brown is already 28 and turns 29 at the end of 2010 - though the mileage isn't there, the injuries are and they will limit the longevity of his career.

3) Lack of production - Only 1 season has he managed to be available for all 16 games of the season, but in no season has he passed 250 carries. While this alone isn't an overwhelming statistic (9 players passed the mark last season, 13 in 2008, 12 in 2007), with Ricky Williams on the team Brown stands no chance of passing or really approaching this number. Evidence: 2008 - with both players fully healthy for all 16 games, Brown had 214 carries to Williams' 160. 200 carries may be in reach again, but it will be touch-and-go.

At best, Ronnie Brown is the Marion Barber of the Miami Dolphins. That may put him in the top 15-20 range statistically this coming season. Add in the other contributing factors and he isn't a desirable fantasy option.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Mon May 24, 2010 7:43 am

skip wrote:Here are several items I don't like about Ronnie Brown:

1) Injuries - He has missed significant playing time in 2 of the last 3 seasons.

2) Age - Everyone points to an aging Ricky Williams; Ronnie Brown is already 28 and turns 29 at the end of 2010 - though the mileage isn't there, the injuries are and they will limit the longevity of his career.

3) Lack of production - Only 1 season has he managed to be available for all 16 games of the season, but in no season has he passed 250 carries. While this alone isn't an overwhelming statistic (9 players passed the mark last season, 13 in 2008, 12 in 2007), with Ricky Williams on the team Brown stands no chance of passing or really approaching this number. Evidence: 2008 - with both players fully healthy for all 16 games, Brown had 214 carries to Williams' 160. 200 carries may be in reach again, but it will be touch-and-go.

At best, Ronnie Brown is the Marion Barber of the Miami Dolphins. That may put him in the top 15-20 range statistically this coming season. Add in the other contributing factors and he isn't a desirable fantasy option.
At least not to teams looking to win :lol:

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Mon May 24, 2010 7:49 am

He's not bad to have if you don't have rely on him as a starter. Unfortunately, his value makes that impossible. But I wouldn't mind having him as an RB 3 :)

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:06 am

Orca wrote:He's not bad to have if you don't have rely on him as a starter. Unfortunately, his value makes that impossible. But I wouldn't mind having him as an RB 3 :)
Exactly. I have him in one league paired with someone else as RB3...bye week filler and potential flex play but nothing more. I wouldn't want to count on him at all

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Mon May 24, 2010 8:34 am

I guess it all depends on your expectations. If you draft him as a starter you will more than likely be disapointed, but if he's your RB3 or lower then he could end up being a very serviceable bye week fill in for your team...

BubbaBurst
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby BubbaBurst » Mon May 24, 2010 8:40 am

Steelersfan wrote:I guess it all depends on your expectations. If you draft him as a starter you will more than likely be disapointed, but if he's your RB3 or lower then he could end up being a very serviceable bye week fill in for your team...
When healthy he is a valuable member of a fantasy lineup. hasn't it been something like 2 of the past three years he was the top rb through just about half way? hes going to trend down with the age and injuries, but I agree, as a rotational rb, hes a nice guy to plug and play.

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Mon May 24, 2010 8:42 am

BubbaBurst wrote:
Steelersfan wrote:I guess it all depends on your expectations. If you draft him as a starter you will more than likely be disapointed, but if he's your RB3 or lower then he could end up being a very serviceable bye week fill in for your team...
When healthy he is a valuable member of a fantasy lineup. hasn't it been something like 2 of the past three years he was the top rb through just about half way? hes going to trend down with the age and injuries, but I agree, as a rotational rb, hes a nice guy to plug and play.
No JB...he was only top 10 in PPG average once.

nightmarion
All Pro
All Pro

Postby nightmarion » Mon May 24, 2010 9:23 am

My rebuttle is that for the past 5 years Miami has either played from behind, or the games have been neck and neck. The Dolphins have not had a great offense. The passing game has been non-existant. So the load has been put on Williams and Brown to fight through stacked boxes. There should be more carries available to both Ricky and Ronnie as they should play with the lead more often this season. With Marshall streaking the sidelines that will open up the running lanes. I project Ronnie to stay on the field for 16 games and post 1300-1500 yards from scrimmage with 13-15 scores. And everyone who passed him up will be kicking themselves at seasons end.

Risky bidness
MVP
MVP

Postby Risky bidness » Mon May 24, 2010 9:29 am

I traded Ronnie for a conditional 2nd in 2011. If he gets 1000+ yards from scrimmage and 8+ tds that 2nd turns into a 2011 1st.

With his age and injury history I thought the deal was good for me. If he can stay healthy I think he can get those above numbers. If he gets hurt I still get 2nd. If Ronnie gets hurt again this year then he'll have basically no value. I didn't want to have to hope he comes through. You know the saying....take the money and run.

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Mon May 24, 2010 11:33 am

nightmarion wrote:My rebuttle is that for the past 5 years Miami has either played from behind, or the games have been neck and neck. The Dolphins have not had a great offense. The passing game has been non-existant. So the load has been put on Williams and Brown to fight through stacked boxes. There should be more carries available to both Ricky and Ronnie as they should play with the lead more often this season. With Marshall streaking the sidelines that will open up the running lanes. I project Ronnie to stay on the field for 16 games and post 1300-1500 yards from scrimmage with 13-15 scores. And everyone who passed him up will be kicking themselves at seasons end.

Riiiight....I guess his Lisfranc fracture has absolutely nothing to do with it :lol: :roll:

This discussion is pretty much over to me its starting to get a little ridiculous. The better back will put up the better numbers...and that back is Ricky Williams NOT Ronnie Brown.

nightmarion
All Pro
All Pro

Postby nightmarion » Mon May 24, 2010 12:17 pm

I put myself on the line saying it'll be Ronnie Brown. The season will tell the tale.

princevincexoxo

Postby princevincexoxo » Mon May 24, 2010 1:06 pm

nightmarion wrote:I put myself on the line saying it'll be Ronnie Brown. The season will tell the tale.

alright, if you say so...good luck with that.

In fact, to show how confident you REALLY ARE...u should trade for him in all the leagues u have and start him every week :D and report to us VISUALLY how your teams did. I mean...after all, thats what we're trying to do is win right? :roll:

:lol:

nightmarion
All Pro
All Pro

Postby nightmarion » Mon May 24, 2010 1:26 pm

He is my RB2 behind Gore in my dynasty league, so he'll be starting week in and week out for me. I have no problems reporting my victories every week. I run one pay league, and I made sure he was on my roster.