1.1 pick or 1.4 & 1.7 picks

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.1 pick or 1.4 & 1.7 picks

Postby jordanzs » Sun May 23, 2010 11:36 am

I'm interested to hear the feedback that I'll get from the DLF community on this one:

10 team league (so are rosters are a little bit more stacked than normal)

We can start 2RBs/4WRs or 3RBs/3WRs. 1 starting QB

My QBs: Ryan, Kolb, Sanchez, Smith, Whitehurst
My RBs: SJax, Greene, Addai, Brown, Lendale, Harrison, Choice
My WRs: Calvin, VJax, Crabtree, Jennings, Smith (NYG)
1.4 & 1.7 rookie picks.

I've been offered Vince Young/1.1 for Whitehurst/1.4/1.7. To me, the QBs are a wash, I'll need to cut a QB eventually, so in essence, I'm looking at possibly trading the 1.4 & 1.7 picks for the 1.1

Or rookie/fa draft isn't until August, but it's looking like the 1.4 pick will be the spiller/best coinflip, and the 1.7 is looking like demaryius thomas.

Matthews would look really nice in my RB stable, and also there's a team out there hurting for WRs, and he's expressed interest in a Crabtree&Ryan or VJax&Ryan trade for MJD. If I was to grab Dez, he could replace Crabtree.

Or I could grab Dez & have a pretty good lockdown on elite WRs for years to come.

Pull the trigger or hang tight & add Spiller/Best + Demaryius (or possibly Benn if Thomas gets snaked first)????

tra151
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tra151 » Sun May 23, 2010 11:53 am

You have a talented, deep, and fairly young roster. I think I would take the trade and aim for the more elite talent.

I also like the mjd trade for you. You could take dez at 1.01, and be in very good shape for now and the future. You'd just be putting alot of faith in kolb(which alot of people are). You could then look to add a decent veteran qb for some insurance to bridge the gap if kolb struggles early.

I like both deals for you.
10 team dynasty ppr (1qb,2rb,3wr,1te,1k,1dst)
26 man roster
QB-Rodgers, Carr, Rudolph
RB-Mixon, Guice, Cohen, Drake, Dion Lewis, Damian Harris, Darwin Thompson, Mattison, Mostert, ADP
WR-Davante Adams, Tyreek, Golladay, AJ Green, Fitz, Josh Gordon, Westbrook, Robby Anderson, N’keal Harry
TE- Kittle, Jimmy Graham
NE DST Jax DST

GridIronFavre
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby GridIronFavre » Sun May 23, 2010 12:06 pm

Jump on that deal and pick up Young and the 1.1. I think Young could develop into a good fantasy QB this season and with your roster I would much rather have Mathews than two lesser players who will sit on your bench, as you already have quite a few studs.
Start: 2 QB, 3 RB, 5 WR, 2 TE (All TDs=6, 1 per 10 rush/rec, 1 per 25 pass, NO PPR) 8 teams
QB: Rodgers, Vick, Cutler, Schaub, Luck
RB: Rice, CJ, McFadden, Richardson, Stewart, Ingram, Spiller, Vereen
WR: Green, Marshall, Roddy, Jennings, Roddy, Bowe, Maclin, Britt, A Brown, Williams (TB), Collie, Smith (STL)
TE: Graham, Finley, F Davis, Cook
Taxi Squad: Tebow, Crabtree, Jeffrey, Hill, Gordon

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Sun May 23, 2010 1:18 pm

I would take it. As much as I like Whitehurst, that is an upgrade at QB. And Mathews or Bryant at 1.01 make it a win.

-oo-

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Sun May 23, 2010 1:24 pm

I think I would rather have Best and Thomas than Dez or Mathews...it's very close though...

blacksheep
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby blacksheep » Sun May 23, 2010 4:26 pm

I'd rather have the 1.01. Take the trade.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sun May 23, 2010 5:09 pm

If this were strictly about the picks, I'd definitely prefer the 1.4 and 1.7 as any RB you take there could be just as good or better than Mathews over the long term. With the QBs in the picture, its closer. However, you don't have a need for Young at all on your team. I'd stick with Whitehurst and the picks.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Sun May 23, 2010 5:15 pm

I think it all depends on your view of Mathews or Bryant. If you are really confident of either one of them being studs going forward, I think it makes sense to take the deal and grab either one. People could make an argument for either one being an impact player for years to come and I am one of them. But you have to believe in them. If you have doubts, keep your picks and take 2 shots at getting the "right" guy at 4 and 7.

As far as the QB's go. I think they both have nice upside, but likely won't see your starting line up any time soon.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Sun May 23, 2010 5:31 pm

When we have to trim our rosters down, Whitehurst would definitely get the axe. If I get Vince Young, then I'll have to decide who to cut.....him or Alex Smith. So yeah, the QB's aren't that big of an issue for me.

My 5WRs are really strong. Even if I have Demaryius, I'm not sure how often I'd ever play him. Matthews would rise up & play as 1 of my 3RBs, and who knows how much longer SJax would play.

And I also wouldn't feel bad grabbing Dez & then moving Crabtree or VJax, either one of them can get me a top RB.

Our draft isn't until the middle of August, so I'd have a few weeks in preseason to watch & evaluate Matthew & Dez.

I left the original trade offer from the other team, but I sent back Young/1.1/2.10 for Whitehurst/1.4/1.07. If I can get the 2.10 from him, that balances it out a little more. Our league plays IDP players, so guys like McClain can start flying off the board in the 2nd round, and maybe I'll get a Mike Williams or Damian Williams type of player. 10 team league means that the 2.10 is the 20th pick, and there's still some good prospect talent there. We'll see.....

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Sun May 23, 2010 10:27 pm

jordanzs wrote:When we have to trim our rosters down, Whitehurst would definitely get the axe. If I get Vince Young, then I'll have to decide who to cut.....him or Alex Smith. So yeah, the QB's aren't that big of an issue for me.
Then take the QBs out of the picture entirely. You'd be cutting the QB either way...so the trade is just the 1.1 in exchange for 1.4/1.7. Look at your league's 1.1 selection the last 3 seasons and try to determine if that is where the best value pick has been before you make this move. You are definitely better off sticking with what you have.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon May 24, 2010 12:15 am

skip wrote:
jordanzs wrote:When we have to trim our rosters down, Whitehurst would definitely get the axe. If I get Vince Young, then I'll have to decide who to cut.....him or Alex Smith. So yeah, the QB's aren't that big of an issue for me.
Then take the QBs out of the picture entirely. You'd be cutting the QB either way...so the trade is just the 1.1 in exchange for 1.4/1.7. Look at your league's 1.1 selection the last 3 seasons and try to determine if that is where the best value pick has been before you make this move. You are definitely better off sticking with what you have.
The other guy wants Whitehurst, as he's a Seattle fan & he has Hasselback. I originally told him to swap me a 3rd round for a 4th round pick & he can have Whitey, but then we started Negotiating.

Last year was our startup draft, so I don't have that data from the last 3 seasons. Moreno was the 1st rookie that was taken though, Beanie was 2nd, and Brown was 3rd (taken by me unfortunately).

Turns out the guy who has the 1.2 really really wants Matthews & is willing to offer something really generous to move up to 1.1 to get him.

I told the guy who has the 1.1 pick to go for it & come back to me & I'll negotiate for his 1.2. He doesn't want Dez (he hates the Cowboys). He wants Spiller/Best AND Golden Tate, and I'm the only one who holds the keys to that car.

Gonna work on getting Charles & 1.2 for my 1.4, 1.7 and whatever else I need to throw in to get it done, but something that gives me a great deal!

I'd rather have Dez & Charles than Best & Demaryius, and I have lots of depth to add in to make it happen. Otherwise I'll just stay as is.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Mon May 24, 2010 4:52 am

jordanzs wrote: Gonna work on getting Charles & 1.2 for my 1.4, 1.7 and whatever else I need to throw in to get it done, but something that gives me a great deal!
Charles AND the 1.2 to get someone to move down for two later 1st rd picks? That something else is going to have to be pretty significant. The other owner may want both of those picks just for Charles...

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Mon May 24, 2010 5:42 am

tra151 wrote:You have a talented, deep, and fairly young roster. I think I would take the trade and aim for the more elite talent.

This is still the best advice for you. You are solid at WR, but could use one more bulwark RB - So I say take the 1.01 where you know you will get an RB who will get 250 carries this season. Any players you would get at the later picks would have a difficult time cracking your lineup, and you'd have to sit on them a couple of seasons to get any payback, while getting the elite talent now to plug into your rotation immediately solidifies your contender status.

-oo-

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Mon May 24, 2010 8:38 am

jordanzs wrote:
skip wrote:
The other guy wants Whitehurst, as he's a Seattle fan & he has Hasselback. I originally told him to swap me a 3rd round for a 4th round pick & he can have Whitey, but then we started Negotiating.

Last year was our startup draft, so I don't have that data from the last 3 seasons. Moreno was the 1st rookie that was taken though, Beanie was 2nd, and Brown was 3rd (taken by me unfortunately).

Turns out the guy who has the 1.2 really really wants Matthews & is willing to offer something really generous to move up to 1.1 to get him.

I told the guy who has the 1.1 pick to go for it & come back to me & I'll negotiate for his 1.2. He doesn't want Dez (he hates the Cowboys). He wants Spiller/Best AND Golden Tate, and I'm the only one who holds the keys to that car.

Gonna work on getting Charles & 1.2 for my 1.4, 1.7 and whatever else I need to throw in to get it done, but something that gives me a great deal!

I'd rather have Dez & Charles than Best & Demaryius, and I have lots of depth to add in to make it happen. Otherwise I'll just stay as is.
I agree, good luck!

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Tue May 25, 2010 8:38 pm

Ok, here's how it all shook out:

The guy with the 1.2 pick reeeeeeeeeally wanted Matthews. He traded his 1.2 & Percy Harvin to move up to 1.1. He also gave some better draft positioning in later rounds where he had it.

So now the guy who used to have the 1.1 has the 1.2 & Percy Harvin. Good deal for him. At 1.2, he doesn't care for The Cowboys & doesn't want Dez. He wants Spiller/Best AND Golden Tate. More instant gratification, he's a Seahawks fan, and he took over an abandoned team midway through last year & wants to rebuild it.

Sooooooo, here's the trade:

I give: 1.4, 1.7, Addai, Donald Brown, Sanchez
I get: 1.2, Jamaal Charles, Vince Young

I was originally looking at Spiller/Best & Demaryius Thomas, so I'm happy to "settle" on Dez Bryant & Charles. With Ryan & Kolb on my roster, no need for Sanchez.

The other team is pretty stoked too. I don't think he was too high on Charles, and now he gets Harvin, Spiller/Best, Tate (or better), Addai, Brown, and Sanchez. Not too bad of a makeover