Jay Cutler

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
SpaderDude
Captain
Captain

Jay Cutler

Postby SpaderDude » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:54 pm

Ok. There's the haters and the supporters. Don't mind hearing from both. As a Bronco fan (at least a former one), I have also watched many games from Cutler prior to his 1st season as a Bear.

Love him or hate him, I am of the opinion that Cutler is ultra-talented, and has shown the ability to take over games, while picking defenses a part. And I, certainly, have also seen him make poor decisions at times. In Denver, he posted really decent numbers, in a pass-happy offense.

While I think the pressure of being the "savior" may have lead to his poor season with the Bears, I think the pressure that defenses applied was more of the reason for his woes. Not a Bears fan, but watching games, it was clear to me that the line was atrocious. Not to mention, all the dropped passes.

In 2008 as a Bronco, Cutler was sacked 11 times. In 2009 as a Bear, he was sacked 35 times. That's not counting hurries or knock-downs! He was basically running for his life.

In my league, he still finished 11th for QB's during a dreadful season by all NFL standards. He's not perfect, but I see him bouncing back if they can protect him. Any opinions?
Team1

10 Team Dynasty, Roster-30, (must contain 2K & 2Def.) Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D

Stafford, Eli, Rivers
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Stewart, Mark Ingram, J. Bell, Christine Michael, Mike James, Tolbert
Calvin, AJG, Julio, Antonio Brown, Gordon, Da'Rick, Streater
Tony G, Finley, Housler, L. Green, Gresham

5, 2014 First Rounders

Team2

12 team, 30-man rosters, 1ppr. Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1K, 1D

Brees, Big Ben
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Ingram, Stewart, C. Michael, Franklin, D. Brown, Helu, B. Rainey, CJ Anderson, Tolbert
Calvin, Nicks, Gordon, Stills, Toon, M. Wilson, Drew Davis, Da'Rick
Gronk, Daniels, G. Graham, Celek

thewhyterabbit
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby thewhyterabbit » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:29 pm

top 10 qb, buy low.

skip
GOAT
GOAT

Postby skip » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:43 pm

From a fantasy perspective, I agree that Cutler is a top 10 QB.
If you can't leave at least a 20% tip, you can't afford to eat out.

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Steelersfan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:15 pm

skip wrote:From a fantasy perspective, I agree that Cutler is a top 10 QB.
Same here, I've trashed him in the past but he really didn't have a lot to work with last season.

Shawn
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Shawn » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:18 pm

Public perception is pretty low on this guy right now, shaky situation with the Bears, turnover machine last season, Mike Martz and coaching instability, lack of playmaking receivers, poor attitude, etc. etc. These are perfect things to bring up to someone when you're trying to trade for him, as he's a good buy low guy right now :wink: I wouldn't expect his Denver numbers again, but he can definitely improve on his Bear numbers and move higher up the rankings starting this coming season.
“I had a couple of drinks. I started in 1970 and finished in 1985. It was a very big drink.” - Alice Cooper
“I’m sick to death of people saying we’ve made 11 albums that sound exactly the same. In fact, we’ve made 12 albums that sound exactly the same.” - Angus Young of AC/DC
"Every album Van Halen did was actually an Eddie solo album" - Eddie Van Halen
"Don't hate me because I'm fabulous" - Prince

Misfit74
Legend
Legend

Postby Misfit74 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:05 am

skip wrote:From a fantasy perspective, I agree that Cutler is a top 10 QB.
I am also of that belief, but Cutler isn't firmly within the top 10. He's very close to 10th in my rankings (9th). He could just as easily be as low as 14th for me right now.
#GoHawks / @am_misfit / Fractal Audio / Matrix Amplification / Axe FX II XL+ / ESP, Schecter Guitars

hosler427
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby hosler427 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:58 am

Misfit74 wrote: I am also of that belief, but Cutler isn't firmly within the top 10. He's very close to 10th in my rankings (9th). He could just as easily be as low as 14th for me right now.
x2. I have Cutler at #12 right now and his lack of consistency is my main issue. There are a lot of QB's that are steady with their production and on a normal week it isn't very helpful to have a QB drop a 2 on you. :shock:

yumbo
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby yumbo » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:13 am

thewhyterabbit wrote:top 10 qb, buy low.

I don't now that he is a top 10 QB, but I bought "low" on him! :D

You may have been born and bred in old Kentucky, but you're just a crumb up here! TM 3 Stooges

SpaderDude
Captain
Captain

Postby SpaderDude » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:14 am

Totally agree with the "consistency" or lack there of comment. If he can get help, make better decisions, and lower his INT's, I believe he can be a 30+ TD per year guy and I'd certainly take that. With the high # of INT's the last couple of years, he has been getting into the high twenties already. I know that a lot of things have to go right, but it's hard to find really good, young QB's in Dynasty leagues. I'm going to hang in there with him, at least for another year.
Team1

10 Team Dynasty, Roster-30, (must contain 2K & 2Def.) Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1K, 1D

Stafford, Eli, Rivers
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Stewart, Mark Ingram, J. Bell, Christine Michael, Mike James, Tolbert

5, 2014 First Rounders

Team2

12 team, 30-man rosters, 1ppr. Starters: 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Flex (RB/WR/TE), 1K, 1D

Brees, Big Ben
Forte, TRich, D. Wilson, Ingram, Stewart, C. Michael, Franklin, D. Brown, Helu, B. Rainey, CJ Anderson, Tolbert

Orca
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Orca » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:44 am

Inconsistent, immature, selfish, poor leader with a knack for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. He's a modern Jeff George with more interceptions. Fantasy wise, he'll win you a few games with big weeks but lose you just as many with god awful performances.

SpaderDude
Captain
Captain

Postby SpaderDude » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:25 am

Inconsistent, immature, selfish, poor leader with a knack for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. He's a modern Jeff George with more interceptions. Fantasy wise, he'll win you a few games with big weeks but lose you just as many with god awful performances.
Don't disagree with any of this, but I have seen him win games in Denver that they had no buisness winning. His last year there, they had no running game (7 RB on IR) and their defense was awful, yet he gets much of the blame for the three game losing streak that ended their playoff hopes. The team was over achieving to begin with and probably should not have been in positon for a playoff run, but they were in many instances because of his play. He was winning games 35-31. They also asked him to pass, pass, pass. Anyone not named Brees or Manning, is bound to make some mistakes in that situation. Then he goes to Chicago and has no line and so-so recievers.

Bottom line, and I may be in the minority, I believe there is still some upside to be had, although admitedly on my team the leash will undoubtedly be short, as it was a year ago, when I picked up Favre (was a free agent due to salary cap restriction rules) and rolled with him.
Team1

Stafford, Eli, Rivers

5, 2014 First Rounders

Team2

Brees, Big Ben

jimmo
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby jimmo » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:25 pm

I really like him for this year. In the Martz offense, he'll be a great low-cost redraft QB. But for our purposes? Sell high after this year, or pray Martz gets the quick boot again. Cutler will get abused even more this year than last; the longer he QBs for Martz, the shorter his career will be.

Of course, if Martz is canned by Chicago after one year, that'll likely mean the Bears didn't do so well, which means Lovie'll be on the chopping block as well. And if the Bears are firing their coaches, the guy responsible for hiring them in the first place might very well be on the way out too. New coach, new GM? More often than not, new QB.

All those variable make for a dicey dynasty proposition. I had him 9th in our member rankings, and he's dropped a couple spots for me since then, or rather a couple guys have moved up. In my mind, most of that value is tied up in this year with Martz and then subsequent trade value.