Peterson or Lynch

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.

Who would you rather have with your first pick:

Adrian Peterson
77%
Marshawn Lynch
23%

Total votes: 35

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:50 pm

I'm an oddball that liked Lynch better before the draft - but then I liked Maroney better than Bush last year. I'd probably take AP if I had the first pick because of peer pressure :wink: but I'd prefer to pick 2nd and grab Lynch...

-oo-

houdini
Captain
Captain

Postby houdini » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:51 pm

I won't even consider Lynch at 1.01. Peterson behind Hutchinson - money. And passing Taylor on the depth chart - easy as pie. Chester is an above average backup but a below average starter. Johnson's the only other consideration for me at 1.01.

houdini
Captain
Captain

Re: Peterson

Postby houdini » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:03 pm

khrolltop wrote:I have the #1 pick in our draft this year. I will be taking Peterson. A trade of the pick is being discussed however. The trade would be: 1.01 for 1.03 and L. Maroney. Even though I love Peterson(big Sooner fan),I might have to take that trade.
Are you sure it's Maroney and not Morency? Morency isn't enough, Maroney's way too much.

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:39 pm

houdini wrote:
khrolltop wrote:I have the #1 pick in our draft this year. I will be taking Peterson. A trade of the pick is being discussed however. The trade would be: 1.01 for 1.03 and L. Maroney. Even though I love Peterson(big Sooner fan),I might have to take that trade.
Are you sure it's Maroney and not Morency? Morency isn't enough, Maroney's way too much.
I agree. But, if it's right. Do it now.
16 team PPR Est. 2002 (Champion: 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2016)
Start: QB, 2-4WR, 2-3RB, 1-2TE, K, D
QB: Russell Wilson, Zach Wilson
RB: Barkley, Mixon, Chubb, Hunt, G. Bernard
WR: Adams, Metcalf, Callaway, Shepard, Watkins, Fuller, T. Williams, Proche
TE: Kelce, Pitts, Njoku, Seals-Jones
K: Gay
D: Vikings

khrolltop
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby khrolltop » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:41 pm

houdini wrote:
Well, 4 months later, one hour before our draft, the trade was made in a slightly amended form. I traded 1.01 and 4.10 for 1.03 and L. MARONEY, not V. Morency.

Draft went:
1.01: A. Peterson
1.02: C. Johnson
1.03: M. Lynch

Even though I'm a big fan of Peterson, I love this trade. Time will tell who comes out on this one.

ScottD
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby ScottD » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:41 pm

That's just criminal.
"Baseball is what we were. Football is what we have become." - Mary McGory.

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:37 pm

ScottD wrote:That's just criminal.
:lol:

I agree.

Very well done.

dlf_kenm
Administrator

Postby dlf_kenm » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:14 pm

Are you kidding me? That's a huge trade! Excellent, very nice.

Cojo 2020
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Cojo 2020 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:38 am

I had the first pick in both of my dynasty leagues, and took Peterson in both. I think he is a HOF player if he can stay healthy, and in dynasty format, I had to look past just this year where Lynch might be a better pick.
ROCHESTER ROADKILL: 10 team league: Starts 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR,, 1 TE, 1 PK, 1 DST 1 flex RB/WR, 1 superflex QB/RB/WR/TE.

Superflex, PPR, Pass TD = 6 pts.

QB: Mahomes, Hurts, Lance, B.Young, A.Richardson, M.Cunningham
RB: Chubb, A.Jones, Bijan, Gibbs, J.Williams (DEN), Dobbins, Dillon, Z.White, T. Spears, R.Johnson, Z.Evans
WR: Lamb, Higgins, M.Brown (ARI), Ridley, Pittman, E.Moore, J.Williams (DET), Dotson, Doubs, Q.Johnston, Smith-Njigba
TE: Schultz, Kincaid
PK: Koo
DST: Chiefs. Lions
2024 picks: 1.02, 1.05, 1.06, 2.06, 3.02, 3.08, 3.10
League Champion: 2017, 2018, 2020, 2022

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Postby kris_kapsner » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:54 am

In the preseason Peterson looked outstanding. I wouldn't go as far to say he's a future HOF but he definitely is a natural runner with all of the ability to be a perennial top 5 RB.

I think the Vikings will use him more than people are guessing right now. Perhaps the split will be up to 70/30 in favor of Peterson over Taylor.

That being said, he'd hands down the #1 pick of this years rookie draft.

Johnson isn't getting thrust into the mix too quickly so things don't go to his head. But, he'll be an excellent WR in near future. Perhaps even a decent #3 WR this year even in smaller leagues. He has to be #2 when you consider that he's almost a slam dunk can't miss prospect. He may never live up to the expectations and hype that are being piled onto him. But, over the next 10 years or more, there won't be a fantasy league, dynasty or redraft, that doesn't have Johnson on someone's roster.

Lynch had a bad preseason. I think there are two main contributing factors here. 1) He's a rookie. And, as such, needs to learn the speed of the NFL and what is a hole now compared to what WAS a hole in college. Reggie Bush went through this same adjustment last year. I see this developing by the middle of this season for him. 2) The offense being run in the preseason in Buffalo is a "dumbed" down version of what they'll really be running in the regular season. People watching the training camps were impressed that a lot of passing plays were involving Lynch. In the games that never showed. In PPR leagues Lynch won't get off to quite the slow start he will in leagues that are TD based. Look for his production to pick up a bit right out of the gate.

As to trading Peterson for Lynch and Maroney, outstanding trade. Don't think twice about it even if Peterson develops into LT3. You are limiting your risk and maximizing your potential value on your roster. It was a no brainer to take that trade.

Good job.

khrolltop
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby khrolltop » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:14 am

Kris hit the nail on the head when he talked about limiting risk and maximizing potential value on my roster. This is the reason that I made the trade.
Living in Norman OK, and being a long time Sooner season ticket holder, made this trade more difficult than you might imagine. Adrian Peterson was one ot the hardest working superstars that I have seen. He is a true team player who will be a great asset to the Vikings. I have truly loved watching this wonderful football player preform before my very eyes these last 4 years. Giving him away was gut wrentching. It's the hardest trade I've ever made.

khrolltop
Charter Member
Charter Member

What do you think now?

Postby khrolltop » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:04 pm

Entering week 10, AD has set an all time rushing record, and is being heralded as the best RB in the NFL. What do you think of this Maroney and Lynch for Peterson trade now??

kris_kapsner
Legend
Legend

Re: What do you think now?

Postby kris_kapsner » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:31 pm

khrolltop wrote:Entering week 10, AD has set an all time rushing record, and is being heralded as the best RB in the NFL. What do you think of this Maroney and Lynch for Peterson trade now??
It was a fantastic trade at the time. Now, it is a coin flip. Lynch is turning into a very nice RB and I still like Maroney a lot.

Peterson is a stud for sure. But, even now, depending on my roster I would consider the trade that you made then, right now.

No one could have predicted his breaking the rushing record in only his first 8 games.

tra151
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby tra151 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:14 am

wow!!! I laughed at the two guys that didn't take peterson in our draft, and i continue to laugh at them now. His injury history was a concurn, and with only 8 games under his belt he is not out of the woods. However, he has proven he is on a far higher level than lynch.

I really don't think this guy will stay healthy with the reckless abandon he runs with, but if he does (and MINN grabs a QB) he will crush any records for rushing.
10 team dynasty ppr (1qb,2rb,3wr,1te,1k,1dst)
26 man roster
QB-Rodgers, Carr, Rudolph
RB-Mixon, Guice, Cohen, Drake, Dion Lewis, Damian Harris, Darwin Thompson, Mattison, Mostert, ADP
WR-Davante Adams, Tyreek, Golladay, AJ Green, Fitz, Josh Gordon, Westbrook, Robby Anderson, N’keal Harry
TE- Kittle, Jimmy Graham
NE DST Jax DST

Steelersfan
GOAT
GOAT

Re: What do you think now?

Postby Steelersfan » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:40 pm

khrolltop wrote:Entering week 10, AD has set an all time rushing record, and is being heralded as the best RB in the NFL. What do you think of this Maroney and Lynch for Peterson trade now??
I don't like the deal for you... :wink: