Dynasty startup draft advice.

This is the place for team advice - should I make this trade, should I draft that player, etc.
darkadun
Role Player
Role Player

Postby darkadun » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:16 pm

So I have picks 1.09 and 2.12 in a startup draft. First time doing dynasty. I'd be tempted to grab Luck or Lacy if available but I feeling both will be gone. I feel strongest building around receivers anyways. Hoping to grab two here and stock up on young receivers later.

So, I should be able to grab two out of D.Thomas/Evans/Cobb/Jeffrey/Megatron.

Love Thomas, but I question how effective he will be in two years if Manning is gone. He might still be good, but elite? Not sure. Evans is a beast, but he seems dependant on TD's and that worries me a bit. I'd rather a guy give me 16-20 points every week instead of 30 points one week then 8 the next. Thats what drove me crazy about Dez last year.

I really like the idea of Cobb and Jeffrey actually. Cobb seems great with a elite QB for at least 4 years, and Jeffrey has elite talent and say what you will about Marshall but he can throw the ball up for Alshon to catch. Both guys under 25 years old.

Then there is Megatron. Is he getting to old to build around? Not sure, but I don't want to discount how good he can be.

What do you guys think? Which two building blocks would you pick if you could?
QB: Lamar Jackson, Matthew Stafford
RB: Dalvin Cook, D'Andre Swift, Chris Carson , Jerrick McKinnon, Alexander Mattisson
WR: DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, Adam Thielen, Will Fuller, Darius Slayton, Brandon Aiyuk, Keelan Cole,
TE: Evan Ingram, Drew Sample, Cole Kmet

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Dynasty startup draft advice.

Postby Bot101 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:00 pm

I think Julio and Calvin are the best WRs you can build around :)

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Postby djeternal2 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:22 pm

Bot101 wrote:I think Julio and Calvin are the best WRs you can build around :)
I don't disagree in regards to Julio; but, unless the OPs draft goes very much sideways Julio isn't going to be there at 1.9. If he is of course that would be great. That said I personally don't like going into a draft with any "set plan" I let my drafts come to me; but, I agree building around WR is the general consensus as the best way to build a startup dynasty team. Granted it's not the only way to build a dynasty team. As for concerns about DT I see this quite often and don't quite understand the logic. Have people really forgotten that in DTs second yr he wasn't a starting WR until the last 5 games of the 2011 season and with Tebow throwing to him here's what he did in the 7 games (5 reg season & 2 playoff):

7 78 1
7 116 0
4 76 0
3 34 0
4 204 1
6 93 0

If you watched those games you'd see he really was starting to come into his own. I feel he's talented enough to be QB proof just like Julio, Mega, etc. So for me out of the 4 you listed I'd be grabbing DT & Evans. Cobb is a very close third.
10 tm ppr 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 2 Flex, TE, K, TDEF (Yr 6)
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson
WR - AJG, Watkins, ARob, A. Cooper, K Allen, M Williams, Godwin, Callaway, JJAW
TE - Gesicki, I Smith, Herndon, Eifert, Sternberger, Dissly

10 tm TE prem 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex, K, 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB (Yr 5)
QB - Mahomes, Mayfield, Wentz,
RB - Zeke, Chubb, Kerryon, Duke, Edmonds, B Hill
WR - Nuk, AJG, ARob, JJS, Samuel, MVS, T Smith, D Hamilton, Gallup, K Johnson
TE - Njoku, Eifert, Herndon, I Smith, I Thomas, Moreau
DL - Watt, K Clark, Q Williams
LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

DLF Early Birds - 16 tm SF (1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex, 1 SF
QB - A Rodgers, Darnold, Rosen, M Rudolph, Luck
RB - Damian Williams, J Howard, Duke, AP, Gore
WR - Julio, Golladay, Kirk, Stills, Manny Sanders, N Harry
TE - Jarwin, Gesicki, Boyle, Sprinkle

Novacane
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Novacane » Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:40 pm

djeternal2 wrote:
I don't disagree in regards to Julio; but, unless the OPs draft goes very much sideways Julio isn't going to be there at 1.9. If he is of course that would be great. That said I personally don't like going into a draft with any "set plan" I let my drafts come to me; but, I agree building around WR is the general consensus as the best way to build a startup dynasty team. Granted it's not the only way to build a dynasty team. As for concerns about DT I see this quite often and don't quite understand the logic. Have people really forgotten that in DTs second yr he wasn't a starting WR until the last 5 games of the 2011 season and with Tebow throwing to him here's what he did in the 7 games (5 reg season & 2 playoff):

7 78 1
7 116 0
4 76 0
3 34 0
4 204 1
6 93 0

If you watched those games you'd see he really was starting to come into his own. I feel he's talented enough to be QB proof just like Julio, Mega, etc. So for me out of the 4 you listed I'd be grabbing DT & Evans. Cobb is a very close third.
True. But also, unless OP's draft is REALLY slow, these are all moot points.
Team 1

12 Team .2 PPR (1 PPR after 5 rec), salary cap.

1QB, 1-3 RB, 2-4 WR, 1-3 TE.

QB: Eli, Wentz, Romo
RB: DJ, Freeman, Hyde, Coleman, Mathews
WR: OBJ, ARob, Watkins, Moncrief, White, Gordon, Hogan, Woods
TE: Gronk, Ebron

2017 Picks: 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

Team 2

12 team .2 PPR (full point after 5 receptions), salary cap. 1QB, 0-3RB, 2-5 WR, 1-3 TE.

QB: Wilson,
RB: Drake, Marshall
WR: OBJ, Alshon, TY Hilton, Jordy Nelson, Benjamin, Parker, Doctson, John Brown, Shepard
TE: Eifert, Ebron,

2017 Picks: 1.06, 1.10, 2.06, 3.01, 3.10

Team 3 (3rd Year Orphan)

12 team .2 PPR (full point after 5 receptions), salary cap. 1QB, 1-3 RB, 2-4 WR, 1-3 TE.

QB: Brees, Kaep
RB: DJ, Forte, Dion Lewis, White, Drake, Ellington
WR: OBJ, Matthews, John Brown, Fuller, Parker, White, Lockett, Treadwell, Hogan, Sharpe
TE: Brate, Ladarius, Kendricks

2017 Picks: 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 4, 5

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Postby djeternal2 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:10 pm

Novacane wrote:
djeternal2 wrote:

7 78 1
7 116 0
4 76 0
3 34 0
4 204 1
6 93 0

I disagree about the OP's draft being really slow. Per dlf's August ADP (the most recent available) DT's at 10, Cobb at 12, Alshon at 13, Mega at 14. The only outlier if he were available at 1.9 is Evans who per that adp is at 7 which really isn't a huge difference if he's there at 1.9. And it's not too uncommon that in a startup there's one or two owners that is in a redraft state of mind that grabs AP, Lacy, etc early in rnd 1 which slides a lot of guys down. In the most recent startup I did (about a month ago) I got Julio at 1.6 (something I wouldn't have even considered happening going into the draft) and AJG at 2.5 (DT went at 2.4). That brings me to one other point to the OP don't sleep on AJG if he's there. Ppl are discounting him because he was injured last yr; but, even being injured and with the red headed step child at QB he still put up 69 1041 6. I think I posted this in a different thread earlier this offseason...all 4 yrs in the NFL he has had at minimum 65 catches 1000 yds and 6 tds.
QB - Ryan, Wentz
RB - Gurley, A Jones, Cohen, Kerryon, Dam Williams, Duke, I Smith, Armstead, T Carson

LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell

trader101
Role Player
Role Player

Postby trader101 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:31 pm

AJG would be a great 1.9 IMO. DT too. I wouldn't mind going wr/rb but I may be one of the few. Of course that depends on who's there. I'd pick a rb in the 2nd round with Bell, Lacy, or possibly even Hill
2Qb, 2Rb, 3Wr, 1Te, 1Rb/Wr/Te, 1D/St, 1K. Roster 20, Keep 10, Roster 20, 0.5 ppr league
Qb: Russel Wilson, Ryan Tannehill, Tyrod Taylor
Rb: Mark Ingram, Thomas Rawls, Melvin Gordon, Jay Ajayi, Isaiah Crowell, Spencer Ware, Jordan Howard, Keith Marshall, Tim Hightower
Wr: Deandre Hopkins, Randall Cobb, TY Hilton, Michael Floyd, Corey Coleman, Phillip Dorsett
Te: Delanie Walker
K: N/A
D/ST: Arizona Cardinals

darkadun
Role Player
Role Player

Postby darkadun » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:29 am

trader101 wrote:AJG would be a great 1.9 IMO. DT too. I wouldn't mind going wr/rb but I may be one of the few. Of course that depends on who's there. I'd pick a rb in the 2nd round with Bell, Lacy, or possibly even Hill
I ended up getting Bell at 1.09 and AJ Green at 2.2. Wasn't planning on going RB/WR but Bell was too good to pass up.
QB: Lamar Jackson, Matthew Stafford
RB: Dalvin Cook, D'Andre Swift, Chris Carson , Jerrick McKinnon, Alexander Mattisson
WR: DeAndre Hopkins, Michael Thomas, Adam Thielen, Will Fuller, Darius Slayton, Brandon Aiyuk, Keelan Cole,
TE: Evan Ingram, Drew Sample, Cole Kmet

Novacane
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Novacane » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:47 am

djeternal2 wrote:
Novacane wrote:
djeternal2 wrote:I think Julio and Calvin are the best WRs you can build around :)

7 78 1
7 116 0
4 76 0
3 34 0
4 204 1
6 93 0

I disagree about the OP's draft being really slow. Per dlf's August ADP (the most recent available) DT's at 10, Cobb at 12, Alshon at 13, Mega at 14. The only outlier if he were available at 1.9 is Evans who per that adp is at 7 which really isn't a huge difference if he's there at 1.9. And it's not too uncommon that in a startup there's one or two owners that is in a redraft state of mind that grabs AP, Lacy, etc early in rnd 1 which slides a lot of guys down. In the most recent startup I did (about a month ago) I got Julio at 1.6 (something I wouldn't have even considered happening going into the draft) and AJG at 2.5 (DT went at 2.4). That brings me to one other point to the OP don't sleep on AJG if he's there. Ppl are discounting him because he was injured last yr; but, even being injured and with the red headed step child at QB he still put up 69 1041 6. I think I posted this in a different thread earlier this offseason...all 4 yrs in the NFL he has had at minimum 65 catches 1000 yds and 6 tds.[/quote]

I meant that he had already made his picks. :wall:

djeternal2
Captain
Captain

Postby djeternal2 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:52 am

Novacane wrote:
I meant that he had already made his picks. :wall:
LOL Wow I totally missed that...I blame it on lack of sleep or maybe the alcohol....hell maybe both...
QB - Ryan, Wentz

LB - D Jones, D Bush
DB - K Neal, Bell