Advice: Transition from Dynasty to Keeper

General discussion and team advice concerning Redraft & Keeper leagues.
Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Advice: Transition from Dynasty to Keeper

Postby Prison_Mike » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:35 am

I voted against it, but one of my leagues is transitioning from a Dynasty to a Keeper league after replacing half the owners

My buddy who will be the commish planned to just have each team KEEP 3 players and enter the rest into a redraft

Being new to Keeper leagues, is this the best way to go about it?
For example: Aren't there usually draft rounds assigned to each player being kept? Is there typically a limit to how long you can keep a player? etc.

Any advice would be helpful & appreciated!

Swids19
Captain
Captain

Re: Advice: Transition from Dynasty to Keeper

Postby Swids19 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:59 pm

There is no set rule from transitioning from a dynasty league to a keeper league. Every keeper league varies. My keeper league allows for teams to keep 6 players and everyone else goes back into the player pool for draft day. We have no rules for how long a player can be kept or assigned them any round value. You select your keepers and we draft as usual.

So for your situation, your Commish can allow for all teams to keep 3 players and the rest goes back into the player pool for your draft. This would be fair to all teams. While it sucks having to go from a dynasty format to a keeper format, I can completely understand why to do it, especially if you have to replace half the league. Not all players are dynasty caliber and they get in way over their heads”. Then when they have a bad roster that they cannot rebuild they just quit the league altogether. Then it’s tough finding players to take over orphan teams. Having a 3 player keeper league. Allows for the more “casual” player to keep 3 players and redraft from there. Your league should see less turnover in this format. Good luck.
Dynasty Team: Gridiron Knights
12 Team League, Non-PPR League, All TD's worth 6pts (Including QB's) 1pt for every 10yds Passing, Rushing & Receiving.
22nd yr in league. Won 3 Championships 2003, 2017 & 2018
QB: K. Murrary, R. Wilson
RB: J. Mixon, J. Williams, T. Etienne, A. Gibson, A.J. Dillon, C. Hubbard
WR: D. Hopkins, T. McLaurin, D.J. Moore, D. Smith, E. Moore, B. Edwards
TE: D. Knox
K: B. McManus
DEF: Buffalo
2021 Record (9-5)

6 Player Keeper League: Couchpotatoes
29th yr in league. Won 5 Championships 1993, 1995, 2005, 2015 & 2017
12 Team League, Non-PPR League, All TD's worth 6pts (Including QB's) 1pt for every 10yds Passing, Rushing & Receiving.
QB: J. Allen
RB: J. Taylor, N. Harris, D. Swift
WR: M. Pittman
TE: G. Kittle
K:
DEF:
2021 Record (11-3)

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:02 am

Swids19 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:59 pm There is no set rule from transitioning from a dynasty league to a keeper league. Every keeper league varies. My keeper league allows for teams to keep 6 players and everyone else goes back into the player pool for draft day. We have no rules for how long a player can be kept or assigned them any round value. You select your keepers and we draft as usual.

So for your situation, your Commish can allow for all teams to keep 3 players and the rest goes back into the player pool for your draft. This would be fair to all teams. While it sucks having to go from a dynasty format to a keeper format, I can completely understand why to do it, especially if you have to replace half the league. Not all players are dynasty caliber and they get in way over their heads”. Then when they have a bad roster that they cannot rebuild they just quit the league altogether. Then it’s tough finding players to take over orphan teams. Having a 3 player keeper league. Allows for the more “casual” player to keep 3 players and redraft from there. Your league should see less turnover in this format. Good luck.
Appreciate the feedback!

Well said. I forgot to mention but you're absolutely right - about half the guys that are STAYING hate(d) their rosters and wanted to do a full redraft/restart. They just didn't understand dynasty.

It was a strange league and probably poorly set up as a dynasty (10 teams with 16-player rosters, high-end young players regularly on the waiver wire, etc), so the transition might be for the best overall
Team 1:
12-team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
Start: 1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF
QB: Herbert, Kyler, Baker, Jimmy G, Mariota, DTR
RB: Taylor, Saquon, Javonte, Conner, C.Evans, TDP
WR: Chase, Diggs, Olave, Aiyuk, Hollywood, MT, Shaheed
TE: Engram, Woods, Kraft
'24 picks: 1st, 3rd, 4th

Team 2:
12-Team | PPR | SuperFlex | 0.5-TEP
(Start: QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/3FLX/1SF)
QB: Mahomes, Allen, Russ
RB: Breece, JT, Swift, Javonte, Mostert
WR: Chase, Kupp, Aiyuk, Nico, Hollywood, Kirk, MT
TE: Pitts, Njoku, Woods
'24 picks: none

Team 3:
12tm PPR SuperFlex
QB: Hurts, Dak, Stafford, Z.Wilson, DTR
RB: Saquon, Swift, Achane, Kamara, Ford
WR: Jefferson, AJB, ARSB, Nico, Diontae, OBJ
TE: Goedert, Njoku, Fant, Woods
'24 picks: 4th, 4th

Pew Dogs
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Pew Dogs » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:44 am

Another option you might want to consider is to keep one player at each of the 4 major positions. I've always liked the way that made the draft start with a lot of good players available but without some teams hoarding the best at one position. It balances things out a bit.
12 team, dynasty, ppr, 1RB, 3WR, 1TE, 3RB/WR/TEFlex
QB P.Mahomes, J.Goff
RB J.Taylor, A.Kamara, E.Elliott, T.Pollard
WR D.Chark, B.Cooks, A.Cooper, A.St.Brown, J.Tolbert, T.Marshall, D.Slayton
TE T.Kelce, H.Henry

(League champ somehow)
QB J.Burrow
RB T.Etienne, I,Pacheco, J.Cook, T.Algeier, J.Wilson
WR C.Lamb, M.Evans, M.Pittman, D.Chark, R.Moore, D.Peoples-Jones
TE T.Hockenson

12 Team Dynasty ppr, 2QB,2RB,3WR,1TE,3Flex,TE Premium

QB J.Burrow, G.Smith
RB D.Cook, J.Mixon, A.Mattison, R.Mostert, S.Perine
WR M.Evans, A.Cooper, C.Kirk, N.Collins
TE E.Engram, G.Everett, C.Okonkwo, C.Otton

QB K.Murray, J.Burrow
RB D.Cook, D.Montgomery, A.Mattison, K.Herbert, T.Algeier
WR A.St.Brown, K.Allen, A.Theilen, B.Cooks, T.Boyd, R.Moore, D.Hopkins
TE T.Kelce, D.Waller, R.Gronkowski, R.Tonyan, C.Otton

Prison_Mike
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Prison_Mike » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:50 am

Pew Dogs wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:44 am Another option you might want to consider is to keep one player at each of the 4 major positions. I've always liked the way that made the draft start with a lot of good players available but without some teams hoarding the best at one position. It balances things out a bit.
We're only keeping 3 players unfortunately.

Right now, my plan is to keep CMC, Sanders, and Adams because they're probably the most valuable. Tough call though because my team was pretty loaded. I want to have my RBs set because starting requirements & rosters will be pretty small, and I'll be picking 8th so I think most of the high-end RBs will be gone

I guess it would've been helpful to post my roster, here it is below:

10tm | PPR | 1QB
Start: 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2FLX, 1DST, 1K

QB: Ryan, Goff
RB: CMC, Sanders, Fournette, Drake
WR: Adams, DJM, OBJ, Deebo, Hilton, Parker, Miller, Harry
TE: Andrews, Henry, Fant, Herndon