Spencer Ware (and rest of KC backfield) 2019 outlook

General discussion and team advice concerning Redraft & Keeper leagues.
DLF3000
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Spencer Ware (and rest of KC backfield) 2019 outlook

Postby DLF3000 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:50 pm

Rookie back is the most likely scenario, but then again, it's proven time and again you don't need to draft RBs high (in the NFL). If some guy you never heard of with the name "Gus" can nail down a starting tailback job, you can pretty much expect the unexpected at RB.
35 Team Dyn PPR, 3 x Copy SF start 2TE Super Prem (TE 2 PPR, 8pt TD), 6 pt/non-TE TD, 1pt/20 yds pass (300 +3pt), 1pt/10 yds rush/rec (100 +3pt)

Start 12: 1QB 1SFLX 2RB 4WR 2TE 2FLX | 30 Active Roster, unlim Taxi, 3 IR/Out (+) | est. '21 | playoffs '21, '22

QB - J Allen, T Lawrence ...
RB - A Ekeler, S Barkley, J Cook, I Pacheco ...
WR - AJ Brown, C Ridley, G Pickens, C Sutton ...
TE - D Njoku, D Knox ...
® 2024 - | 2025 -

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:29 pm

Bumping after Dame Williams 2nd straight solid start. Just from the eye test, he has more juice than Ware. Both FA, but I can't imagine they'd be expensive to retain.

Williams has looked the part in that offense. Averaging 131.5 yards per game in his two solo starts.
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Downs, Mims, Douglas, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.08, 1.14, 2nd x2

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:49 am

Has to be durable, motivated, and 3 down capable. Reid will find another 3rd round gem. I must say Damien Williams looks the part (for now). I do not think it will be a huge contract RB (see motivated). Many times after a huge signing we see a player go into cruise control and I know Reid is cognizant of that.

James McGhee
Captain
Captain

Postby James McGhee » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:57 pm

I notice people seem to infer that an NFL team drafting a RB in anything before the very late rounds of the NFL Draft means that they are definitely seeking to replace their current back. I think it's possible that is the reason for drafting a mid round running back, but that it could also mean they're simply looking for depth or injury insurance, not complete replacement. I don't think Kareem Hunt was drafted by KC in the 3rd because they wanted to replace Ware, but that Kareem Hunt profiled as a competent, though not all that exciting, running back who COULD replace Ware one day but would serve as depth and insurance. It turns out they needed the insurance when Ware went down. And it turns out that Kareem Hunt was a suitable replacement in a great offense.

I say all of this because I think Ware is a capable, though not all that exciting, running back who would would fill the 1a role in KCs run game well. And even though he is a FA, how much can he possibly fetch on the open market after missing all last season, and being a back-up to Hunt early this season and then mostly hurt after Hunt was cut? I think Ware knows his best bet would be to settle for a relatively inexpensive 2 or 3 year deal with KC that's front loaded with an easy out in year's 2 and 3. This gives them a known quantity at running back with the flexibility to move on from him when it's time to extend Mahomes. Then they can draft another RB in the 2nd or 3rd and have them on a cheap contract while Mahomes makes $$.

Not saying this WILL happen but I don't see it as an unreasonable possibility. I think it's also likely they retain one of the Williams and draft a back in the middle rounds again and then Ware takes the 1a role next year on a new deal.

Just my two cents. I wouldn't be trying to acquire him because I'm not all that confident in the possibility above, but if you have him he's worth holding on to or trying to flip for a profit.

I could also see them acquiring Ingram for the 1a role because he's not going to fetch much more than $5-6M a year on a short deal because of his age. He'd be awesome in the KC offense.
12 team league; 15 man roster; .5 pt PPR;
QB/RB/2 WR/TE/2 FLX/K/DEF

Tom Brady, Cam Newton
Mark Ingram, Kerryon Johnson, Rashaad Penny, Ronald Jones
AJ Green, Keenan Allen, Michael Thomas, Marvin Jones, Golden Tate, Keelan Cole
Rob Gronkowski
Will Lutz
Minnesota Defense

12 team league; 30-man roster; full PPR
QB/2 RB/2 WR/TE/3 FLX

Rodgers, Goff, Carr
Bell, J. Stewart, Foreman, Perine
Hopkins, K. Allen, Cooks, Hurns, Kupp, Lee, C. Samuel, Patterson, Taywan Taylor
Howard, Hooper, S. Anderson

pvillebiker
Captain
Captain

Postby pvillebiker » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:23 pm

ajf235 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:42 am I think Ware’s dynasty value is next to nil. Ware had a just-below pro bowl caliber season in 2016 as the Chiefs starting RB and they still drafted Kareem Hunt in the third round of the 2017 draft.

I think the Chiefs address the RB situation in the draft or potentially sign someone like Tevin Coleman this offseason. I doubt Ware stays the guy. Why would he when they didn’t allow him to be the guy after a more productive season when he was a two years younger than he is now.
Seems a bit like revisionist history to me. Ware was the guy even after they drafted Hunt. Until he got injured. Then as we all know Hunt literally ran away with the job.

What makes the KC backfield sweepstakes so exciting to me is it really seems most all options for 2019 are legit on the table. Including Ware moving on. Or Ware being the 1a next year and at least one of the Williams 1b'ing (unless they outplay & overtake Ware too - could happen). Another option - a free agent signing could easily happen too, although I doubt it's Bell for all the reasons listed.

Given how easily RB's seem to prosper in Reid's KC system, I don't think there's any desperation or rush to settle for anything less than what Reid wants at RB next year. All this talk of "zero chance" is mis-guided by my reckoning, but we shall see.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:27 pm

pvillebiker wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:23 pm
ajf235 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:42 am I think Ware’s dynasty value is next to nil. Ware had a just-below pro bowl caliber season in 2016 as the Chiefs starting RB and they still drafted Kareem Hunt in the third round of the 2017 draft.

I think the Chiefs address the RB situation in the draft or potentially sign someone like Tevin Coleman this offseason. I doubt Ware stays the guy. Why would he when they didn’t allow him to be the guy after a more productive season when he was a two years younger than he is now.
Seems a bit like revisionist history to me. Ware was the guy even after they drafted Hunt. Until he got injured. Then as we all know Hunt literally ran away with the job.

What makes the KC backfield sweepstakes so exciting to me is it really seems most all options for 2019 are legit on the table. Including Ware moving on. Or Ware being the 1a next year and at least one of the Williams 1b'ing (unless they outplay & overtake Ware too - could happen). Another option - a free agent signing could easily happen too, although I doubt it's Bell for all the reasons listed.

Given how easily RB's seem to prosper in Reid's KC system, I don't think there's any desperation or rush to settle for anything less than what Reid wants at RB next year. All this talk of "zero chance" is mis-guided by my reckoning, but we shall see.
I'm 100% on board here. Reid could bring back Jamaal Charles if he wanted

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:23 pm

Im a little irritated at myself. I grabbed Damien for the semi finals which I still lost. So I dropped Williams (grabbed some stashes I viewed as better long term) since I viewed him simply as a 1 or 2 week rental and KC would probably bring in someone else. Now people are saying he could be the guy in 2019.

Badkins1121
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Badkins1121 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:31 pm

I hope it’s Damien but I doubt it. I have him stashed and realllly need the RB help

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:03 pm

Bot101 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:23 pm Im a little irritated at myself. I grabbed Damien for the semi finals which I still lost. So I dropped Williams (grabbed some stashes I viewed as better long term) since I viewed him simply as a 1 or 2 week rental and KC would probably bring in someone else. Now people are saying he could be the guy in 2019.
I doubt it. Journeyman play well for a few games sometimes, but a larger sample size usually reveals why they are a journeyman. Andy Reid will find himself a RB in the draft or FA IMO.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:22 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:03 pm
Bot101 wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:23 pm Im a little irritated at myself. I grabbed Damien for the semi finals which I still lost. So I dropped Williams (grabbed some stashes I viewed as better long term) since I viewed him simply as a 1 or 2 week rental and KC would probably bring in someone else. Now people are saying he could be the guy in 2019.
I doubt it. Journeyman play well for a few games sometimes, but a larger sample size usually reveals why they are a journeyman. Andy Reid will find himself a RB in the draft or FA IMO.
I believe so too. Id at least like the trade value. Ive got no picks in 2019 or 2020 lol.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:55 pm

I may have already said it in this thread, don't remember, but Damien Williams' 2019 prospects with KC probably depend on how he plays in the postseason.

If he stays hot for the duration of the playoffs, his odds of entering '19 as KC's lead-back aren't bad.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:16 pm

ninotoreS wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:55 pm I may have already said it in this thread, don't remember, but Damien Williams' 2019 prospects with KC probably depend on how he plays in the postseason.

If he stays hot for the duration of the playoffs, his odds of entering '19 as KC's lead-back aren't bad.
Totally agree. If you own him, you're holding unless someone blows you away with an offer. If he ends up the lead back there, his value skyrockets.
16 team league

Elroypedro
Starter
Starter

Postby Elroypedro » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:25 pm

Damien just got a 2 year extension, which is a really positive signal from the Chiefs. Imo only way he doesn’t start next year is if he is injured or a mid round rookie comes in and wows like Hunt did
Team 1
10 team .5 PPR, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 1Flex

QB: Brees, Cousins
RB: McCaffery, Guice, D Williams, Breida, Drake, Penny, S Ware, R Jones, J Adams, I Smith
WR: A Brown, Jeffery, Robinson, Ridley, Pettis, Miller, Shepard, Callaway, MVS, Washington
TE: Kelce, Herndon

Picks:
2019 1.10, 2.10, 3.10, 4.10
2020 1, 2, 3, 4

*2018 Champ*

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:34 pm

Elroypedro wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:25 pm Damien just got a 2 year extension, which is a really positive signal from the Chiefs. Imo only way he doesn’t start next year is if he is injured or a mid round rookie comes in and wows like Hunt did
:wall:

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:45 pm

Elroypedro wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:25 pm Damien just got a 2 year extension, which is a really positive signal from the Chiefs. Imo only way he doesn’t start next year is if he is injured or a mid round rookie comes in and wows like Hunt did
And just like that... Booyah!
16 team league