Let's talk Chris Conley

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Re: Let's talk Chris Conley

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:49 pm

Telperion wrote:
OhCruelestRanter wrote:Sure, but not being Anquan Boldin means simply that. That's a pretty reductionist argument, it's not like Anquan Boldin is on the line between viable starter and perennial bench guy; Boldin put up 3 WR1 seasons and a bunch more WR2 seasons. Funchess doesn't have to do that to have a better career than Chris Conley.
My theory is that there is a speed floor below which a player is not a viable NFL athlete.

Boldin plays a mean, physical, nasty style of football that evidently has translated into NFL success. I've seen none of those traits in Funchess so I don't see it happening. That's what I mean by not Boldin.

In light of that, I think Funchess is less likely to have success than Conley.
I don't have any problem with this. I just think it's interesting that you can treat the small success rate margin between Conley and Ajayi as though it's indisputable evidence in Conley's favor, but then immediately disregard a similar difference between Conley and Funchess when it doesn't favor your guy.

The charts you've compiled are great work. They are. They're an awesome reminder that guys like Dorsett shouldn't be falling behind taken 3 rounds later. But when you're arguing in favor of a 3rd round WR over a 5th round RB, those percentages are so small that you're doing yourself and all of us a disservice by using that tone. There's no need to be like DLFiend. You don't win any prizes for using phrases like "Period." You're much smarter and more reasonable than that. Again, no disrespect here. I really enjoy your posts/work.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:36 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote:
Telperion wrote:
OhCruelestRanter wrote:Sure, but not being Anquan Boldin means simply that. That's a pretty reductionist argument, it's not like Anquan Boldin is on the line between viable starter and perennial bench guy; Boldin put up 3 WR1 seasons and a bunch more WR2 seasons. Funchess doesn't have to do that to have a better career than Chris Conley.
My theory is that there is a speed floor below which a player is not a viable NFL athlete.

Boldin plays a mean, physical, nasty style of football that evidently has translated into NFL success. I've seen none of those traits in Funchess so I don't see it happening. That's what I mean by not Boldin.

In light of that, I think Funchess is less likely to have success than Conley.
I don't have any problem with this. I just think it's interesting that you can treat the small success rate margin between Conley and Ajayi as though it's indisputable evidence in Conley's favor, but then immediately disregard a similar difference between Conley and Funchess when it doesn't favor your guy.

The charts you've compiled are great work. They are. They're an awesome reminder that guys like Dorsett shouldn't be falling behind taken 3 rounds later. But when you're arguing in favor of a 3rd round WR over a 5th round RB, those percentages are so small that you're doing yourself and all of us a disservice by using that tone. There's no need to be like DLFiend. You don't win any prizes for using phrases like "Period." You're much smarter and more reasonable than that. Again, no disrespect here. I really enjoy your posts/work.
falling behind taken 3 rounds later = nonsensical what point are you attempting to make sonny !
but then only jackwagon grammer nazis would complain about a thing like that .
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Telperion
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Telperion » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:21 pm

Fair enough, I'll revisit my tone and dial it down. I appreciate the feedback.

I think because I've looked at this raw data so much (way too much) in list form and I've seen the names on these lists, I get a bit too matter of fact. I'm all in on draft status but I'm also keen on watching out for guys whose physical profile almost never succeeds.

Ultimately though I'm open to constructive criticism.
- Don't waste your time on late round NFL draft picks: Success rates by NFL draft round and speed.
- Team(s): Team 1

Krang
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krang » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:02 am

clarion contrarion wrote:
falling behind taken 3 rounds later = nonsensical what point are you attempting to make sonny !
Color me a jackwagon then, because you misspelled grammar. :lol:

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:50 am

:lol:

Huked ohn fonix werked fer me!

Seriously - I think we should pass the hat for all the entertainment value we get from clarion and Ranter.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:23 pm

Krang wrote:
well done I could plead typo but it was a moronic play by me regardless of the reason, no doubt !
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
TE eifert howard njoku
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
— Leonardo da Vinci

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:34 pm

Krang wrote:
Clearly I forgot a word, but yeah, that's exactly the same as writing whole posts filled with the unintelligible mish-mash of cliches that you spew. I guess you got me. Congrats on your accomplishment.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:37 pm

take heed men ^^^^ not for any useful football or strategic gems but GIFBOY will help you with any english or grammar tips.
perhaps he is a fish out of water here with adults interested in football knowledge but he is a shoo in for a charter member at
dynastyshakespearleague.com
he reminds me of the economics prof tool in back to school
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlVDGmjz7eM
QB luck- driskell
TE eifert howard njoku
2013 ACDL runner up
— Leonardo da Vinci

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:44 pm

Man, Devin Funchess believers are going to be very disappointed. Im a maize and blue homer with maize and blue goggles and i want no part of Devin Funchess. I saw every snap of his career. I loved him after his freshman season as a TE because flashed elite ability in semi limited playing time. As a sophomore his blocking was so deficient that they moved him to WR and slide a true freshman Jake Butt into the TE1 role. Butt tore his ACL (lol that just looks funny) that next February and Michigan kept Funchess at WR instead of moving him back to TE even though they really had no answer at TE.

The point is Funchess only looked athletic vs LB's and slow B1G safeties. Once he moved to WR his lack of separation and explosion was painfully evident vs B1G Corners. I know he's blaming last year on an injury but he was just as slow his sophomore year. He also never played to his size. He dominated a severely overmatched Appalachian State secondary in week 1 last year but not much else against div 1 talent. Now lets talk drops... He had horrible hands last season. I know Michigan didnt roll out the most accurate QBs during his career but Funchess routinely dropped passes that were between the numbers or consider very catchable. I remember one game last season where he dropped three passes running wide open short slant routes on 3rd downs, perfectly thrown balls and he dropped all three... Resulting in 3 punts. I wish i could remember which game it was but that was the moment where i not only couldn't wait until Funchess was gone but told myself I wanted no part of him in any rookie draft. I couldve easily traded up a few spots and taken him at the end of round 2 in my last draft and wasnt even tempted. Jeremy Gallon outplayed Devin Funchess in every aspect of the game at WR. At 5"8' 183 lbs he was a better blocker and better at the catch point. Think about that for a second.. A 5"8' WR went up and grabbed/fought for the ball better in traffic than the 6"5' 236 lb WR. Gallon couldn't make a NFL roster... I just can't shake that. So basically you have a guy too weak to play TE (even a move TE) and too slow to play on the outside. A "Tweener" with questionable hands isnt a recipe for success in the NFL. I really hope I'm wrong because a Funchess success story would be great for recruiting but I just don't see it.

Now as for Conley... I love this guy. I'm pretty sure I've drafted him in every league, even in one league that drafts before the NFL draft. I think hes the perfect example of a talented player with his head screwed on right that was just in an offense that didnt utilize his position as much. Sure Alex Smith is a downer but he has a fairly clear path to a starting job and we'll see if he flashes or not. Lets face it, Maclin never had a great season with Andy Reid and Conley's Size and skillset could easily turn him into "goto" WR material down the line.
Last edited by MARKinMI on Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goirish374
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Goirish374 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:13 am

MARKinMI wrote:Man, Devin Funchess believers are going to very disappointed.
yuuuuuuup.

i could not agree with you more. He will be an astoundingly predictable bust.
Dynasty League Football Premium League Almanac:
2020 Champ: me again! (no, for reals!)
2019 Champ: me!
2018 Champ: Qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj
2017 Champ: Irishdoom
2016 Champ: DDT(wakelawyer)
2015 Champ: BigChiefBC

TheSpidersFromMars
Starter
Starter

Postby TheSpidersFromMars » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:45 am

shhhhhhhhhhhh!
12 team 0.5 ppr 25 man roster: 1 QB 2 WR 2 RB 1 TE 2 WR/RB/TE Flex

QB: Cam, Ryan
RB: Howard , CJA, Ware, Hill, Gio, Smallwood, D. Washington, Ellington, Gillislee, J. Williams
WR: Julio, Hopkins, KB, Cobb, Stills, C. Meredith, M. Mitchell,
TE: Gronk, Bennett, Maxx, Fiedorowicz
DST: Cardinals

Team Tacos
MVP
MVP

Postby Team Tacos » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:51 pm

TheSpidersFromMars wrote:shhhhhhhhhhhh!
It

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WR: OBJ, Dez, AJG, K. Allen, Crowder, K. White;
RB: Gurley, Montgomery, Lacy; QB: Wilson, Goff; TE: Eifert;
DL: Bosa, Danielle H., Ansah, Frank Clark;
LB: Telvin, Kwon, Collins, Jatavis, D. Lee; DEF: KC;
DB: Burnett, C-Dix, S. Davis; K:

Rookie Bench: C. Coleman, Doctson, N. Spence, Jaylon, Jack;
IR:

Start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 RB/WR/TE, 2 WR, 1 WR/TE, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF, 4 LB, 3 DL, 4 DB
12 teams, Non-PPR, tackle heavy w/ TFL.

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:01 am

Sooooo...

He finally got his shot, and while he was ineffecient, he showed ability against a really stout Cincy D.

With Wilson on the shelf, he'll have a role. There should be targets behind Charles, Maclin and Kelce this week.

Thing is, my Argonaut crush Dontrelle Inman is also on the waiver wire, in another plus matchup. I don't know which of my faves to pick up. I hate short benches!
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

Jason3123
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Jason3123 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:11 am

I've stashed several shares of Conley, especially in leagues with a Taxi/Practice squad. I like his talent and athleticism but I think he's a real long-term hold. Worst of all, I don't know if we ever see his true potential with Alex Smith there.

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:49 am

How has Conley looked? I didn't have a chance to watch him much the last couple of weeks. With Maclin in concussion protocol, he should continue to get snaps and could get more targets, obviously.