UPDATE - I'm not crazy right? Is this total BS?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: UPDATE - I'm not crazy right? Is this total BS?

Postby MARKinMI » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:58 pm

Dookmariot wrote:
joeday wrote:Yeah I'm gonna treat it like a redraft
Or, if you really wanna be Machiavellian -

Sounds like he desperately wants to win, to the point he's willing to undermine the integrity of the league to get there.

So, wait until near the trade deadline, see the team that's closest to beating him, and trade you studs to that owner for placeholders and draft picks.

If you're gonna leave, burn the guy's league to the ground behind you!
I wouldn't take this advice. No offense to the poster but everything we do in a dynasty league defines us and our reputations in the dynasty community. It's no doubt that this league is poisoned by a shady commissioner and you are well within your rights to make sure everyone knows it. You are also in the right to treat it as a redraft and sell picks to win now and then leave. Just do it the right way. Don't collude or " burn the guy's league to the ground behind you" as the poster put it. Personally as a guy who commishes a number of Dynasty leagues I wouldn't want an owner who would even consider colluding under any circumstance.

If it was me, Id just go about my business and quietly shop for deals to make one last run. The difference between doing that and helping somebody else cheat is huge. At least the new owner can always trade the pieces you acquired if he chooses to. Helping somebody cheat is just a slap in the face to the other owners who are trying to play within the rules.

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:23 am

MARKinMI wrote:
Dookmariot wrote:
joeday wrote:Yeah I'm gonna treat it like a redraft
Or, if you really wanna be Machiavellian -

Sounds like he desperately wants to win, to the point he's willing to undermine the integrity of the league to get there.

So, wait until near the trade deadline, see the team that's closest to beating him, and trade you studs to that owner for placeholders and draft picks.

If you're gonna leave, burn the guy's league to the ground behind you!
I wouldn't take this advice. No offense to the poster but everything we do in a dynasty league defines us and our reputations in the dynasty community. It's no doubt that this league is poisoned by a shady commissioner and you are well within your rights to make sure everyone knows it. You are also in the right to treat it as a redraft and sell picks to win now and then leave. Just do it the right way. Don't collude or " burn the guy's league to the ground behind you" as the poster put it. Personally as a guy who commishes a number of Dynasty leagues I wouldn't want an owner who would even consider colluding under any circumstance.

If it was me, Id just go about my business and quietly shop for deals to make one last run. The difference between doing that and helping somebody else cheat is huge. At least the new owner can always trade the pieces you acquired if he chooses to. Helping somebody cheat is just a slap in the face to the other owners who are trying to play within the rules.
Mark, it was meant tongue in cheek. But even you have to admit, the commish is currently doing a great job of burning his league to the ground on his own.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:42 am

ALTHOUGH...that said, there was a broadly similar example in one fantasy hockey league I played in. As the playoffs were about to start (and past the trade deadline, which the Commissioner arbitrarily extended), the Commissioner's team strip mined a team of a guy who had stopped managing due to marital troubles. It was a ludicrous trade - a backup goalie and a bench guy for a #1 goalie and a roto stud.

At that point the rest of us in the playoffs, tired of the antics, banded together and decided that whomever made the finals against the Commish, the rest would funnel their best players to him. The feeling was the league was dead anyway, at that point we might as well make the point that whatever he could do, the rest of us could do better. Admittedly things had already gone very sour for the rest of us to act that way, but it was a ton of fun (which is the main point of this hobby) and it's still something we look back on a laugh about.
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

Lotto4Life
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Lotto4Life » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:54 am

Dookmariot wrote:ALTHOUGH...that said, there was a broadly similar example in one fantasy hockey league I played in. As the playoffs were about to start (and past the trade deadline, which the Commissioner arbitrarily extended), the Commissioner's team strip mined a team of a guy who had stopped managing due to marital troubles. It was a ludicrous trade - a backup goalie and a bench guy for a #1 goalie and a roto stud.

At that point the rest of us in the playoffs, tired of the antics, banded together and decided that whomever made the finals against the Commish, the rest would funnel their best players to him. The feeling was the league was dead anyway, at that point we might as well make the point that whatever he could do, the rest of us could do better. Admittedly things had already gone very sour for the rest of us to act that way, but it was a ton of fun (which is the main point of this hobby) and it's still something we look back on a laugh about.
Wouldn't it have been more effective to burn down that hoser's favorite Tim Hortons?

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:09 am

Lotto4Life wrote:
Dookmariot wrote:ALTHOUGH...that said, there was a broadly similar example in one fantasy hockey league I played in. As the playoffs were about to start (and past the trade deadline, which the Commissioner arbitrarily extended), the Commissioner's team strip mined a team of a guy who had stopped managing due to marital troubles. It was a ludicrous trade - a backup goalie and a bench guy for a #1 goalie and a roto stud.

Wouldn't it have been more effective to burn down that hoser's favorite Tim Hortons?
Totally, but then, like, it was also OUR favourite Tim Hortons too, eh!

bubbamsu
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby bubbamsu » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:15 pm

If you really think the commish is trying to pull a fast one over on the league, I would send an email to RTS and state what you think is going on and have them check to see if the commish and the autodraft team came from the same IPO address.

This happened to a couple of my friends in a league this year. They had suspected something fishy was going on with the commish's team and another team for 2 years, but could not prove anything, but they sensed something was up. They emailed MFL and someone did some back ground checking through message boards about the guy and found that he had cheated other leagues in the past. MFL came back with a same IPO address for the same two teams and they got leaguesafe to give them their money back. It is pathetic, but it does happen from time to time. Obviously the league folded immediately, lessoned learned.