David Johnson - Code Red Panic? - Traded to Houston

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Re: David Johnson to ARI

Postby ninotoreS » Sat May 02, 2015 8:20 am

Johnson's tape is lacking, but his measurables are great, and he's for sure a great pass-catcher.

I suspect Arians and company believe they can correct some of Johnson's flaws on tape, and that they haven't drafted him to play behind Ellington. I mean, Ellington doesn't really have any distinct pluses over Johnson, even with the latter's flaws. For both of them, pass-catching is arguably their best strength. Except Johnson is much bigger and presumably more durable.

We don't really think Johnson was drafted to be a bruiser-back compliment to Ellington, do we? That role doesn't align with his tape, despite his size. So why else draft him with a top 100 pick? I think we're either looking at a full time-share or a new lead-back. Let's be honest here: Ellington's profile has always been more logical as a passing-down / change of pace running-back.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Sat May 02, 2015 8:42 am

I think Johnson can easily put another ten lbs on that frame and not hurt his effectiveness. I believe he is looked at as a more durable and larger version of Ellington. With a little more weight I think they see him as a light hammer also. 235 would be a nice light hammer..

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sat May 02, 2015 8:43 am

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Sat May 02, 2015 9:58 am

Yeah, I am aware of his size, but also know he isn't a traditional thumper kind of back .. Don't get me wrong, I am very curious about David Johnson, I think he is a total throwback to beginnings of the West Coast offense ... I would love to see him get an opportunity for a role similar to Roger Craig back in the day..

I don't think we've seen a back like him in quite some time .. but, I would like to see more from him between the tackles, so trying to keep my hope in check :P
@PlankMelody

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Sat May 02, 2015 10:05 am

I like him. I thought he was very impressive in the Senior Bowl
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

voiceofunreason
MVP
MVP

Postby voiceofunreason » Sat May 02, 2015 10:17 am

He's a bigger Ellington. Just not very good vision or instincts as a runner but a great receiver. One of the strangest picks in the draft from my standpoint and pretty much kills Johnson's value. He'll need Ellington to get hurt or move to another team to be effective imo. Kind of a handcuff for the CoP back, whatever that is worth.

The Dirty Birds
Starter
Starter

Postby The Dirty Birds » Sat May 02, 2015 2:52 pm

I think you guys are all way too low on David Johnson. I had him ahead of Duke and Coleman based off tape, his measurables are the icing on the cake. I think Ellington owners should sell if people think he keeps the job, I personally think David will run away with it. But I'm no professional scout and this is just my opinion.

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Sat May 02, 2015 2:59 pm

Ellington owners should not sell, in part because you probably won't get much, but more importantly....you would think highly-regarded RBs never bust and fail to live up to their pre-draft billing.

It's not just this thread, it's almost all of them the last few days.

holy_stromboli
MVP
MVP

Postby holy_stromboli » Sat May 02, 2015 3:21 pm

This looks like Arians' new version of Mendenhall -- you're going to see an RBBC at worst, but Ellington is gonna get pulled at the goalline.

Jecked
Starter
Starter

Postby Jecked » Sat May 02, 2015 3:22 pm

holy_stromboli wrote:This looks like Arians' new version of Mendenhall.
Doesn't play like him though.

holy_stromboli
MVP
MVP

Postby holy_stromboli » Sat May 02, 2015 3:27 pm

Jecked wrote:
holy_stromboli wrote:This looks like Arians' new version of Mendenhall.
Doesn't play like him though.
This is true in that they have different style, but I think Johnson is being sold short here like posters above mentioned. Smaller RBs and Arian's don't mesh. Willie Parker had one good year before being run into the ground, and Ellington -- who was a 6th rounder, just as a reminder -- proved he could not be a workhorse. I'd take Johnson top of the 2nd round easy.

DLFiend
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DLFiend » Sat May 02, 2015 3:48 pm

What if I told you both Ellington and Johnson suck.

holy_stromboli
MVP
MVP

Postby holy_stromboli » Sat May 02, 2015 4:15 pm

DLFiend wrote:What if I told you both Ellington and Johnson suck.
That is always a distinct possibility. :lol:

At least we have seen Ellington can't cut it as more than CoP material.

Jecked
Starter
Starter

Postby Jecked » Sat May 02, 2015 4:18 pm

holy_stromboli wrote:

Do we?

He got a foot injury before the season even started which had nothing to do with workload and it lingered all season.

holy_stromboli
MVP
MVP

Postby holy_stromboli » Sat May 02, 2015 4:20 pm

Jecked wrote:
holy_stromboli wrote:

Do we?

He got a foot injury before the season even started which had nothing to do with workload and it lingered all season.
Dont forget the hernia. Or the hamstring woes dating back to the combine. He always has a ton of nagging injuries. He's also already 26 years old.