David Johnson - Code Red Panic? - Traded to Houston

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Jecked
Starter
Starter

Re: David Johnson to ARI

Postby Jecked » Fri May 01, 2015 8:13 pm

Telperion wrote:He'll get early down work from time to time initially. But Ellington owners should sell before he has a chance to take over the backfield.
Ellington is the better pure runner to me, Johnson a great receiving back.

Telperion
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Telperion » Fri May 01, 2015 8:14 pm

Neither one is the long term solution, but you don't want to be holding the bag on Ellington.
- Don't waste your time on late round NFL draft picks: Success rates by NFL draft round and speed.
- Team(s): Team 1

Jecked
Starter
Starter

Postby Jecked » Fri May 01, 2015 8:17 pm

Telperion wrote:Neither one is the long term solution, but you don't want to be holding the bag on Ellington.
There are very view Rb's in the NFL that you can say are long term solutions, just take the production now with them.

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Fri May 01, 2015 8:17 pm

I guess I just don't see it with Johnson. I don't expect Ellington to be a true 3-down back, but I also don't expect David Johnson to take over the lion's share of RB touches either. I think Ellington's been severely undervalued this offseason, and if David Johnson is the best RB that ARI adds to their roster, then I'd feel a lot more comfortable as an Ellington owner. I still think Ellington's a top 15 PPR RB with low RB1 upside this season.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

Never Veto1
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Never Veto1 » Fri May 01, 2015 8:26 pm

As an Ellington owner in only one league where I'm hurting bad at RB, this pick doesn't worry me at all
12 Team 1QB PPR
8 Starters - QB 1, RB 2(4), WR 3(5), TE 1(3)

QB - Kyler Murray, Derek Carr, Kenny Pickett
RB - Christian McCaffrey, Bijan Robinson, Kyren Williams, Travis Etienne, James Conner, Antonio Gibson, Chris Rodriguez
WR - Tee Higgins, Jordan Addison, Michael Pittman, Nico Collins, Rashee Rice, Christian Watson, Jerry Jeudy, Rashod Bateman
TE - Sam Laporta, Kyle Pitts, Darren Waller, Isaiah Likely
Picks - 2.10, 3.10, 4.10, 5.10

sunnyd23
Role Player
Role Player

Postby sunnyd23 » Fri May 01, 2015 8:57 pm

This just seems to muddle the situation. Johnson looks more like a late 2nd-3rd rd pick at this point.
10-team, Superflex, PPR, performance, 25-man roster
QB(Start 1-2): L.Jackson, S.Darnold, D.Carr
RB(2-3): J.Mixon, M.Mack, C.Edwards-Helaire, J.Taylor, J.K.Dobbins, A.J.Dillon, Z.Moss, L.Miller, , Ja.Williams, G.Bernard
WR(3-4): D.Hopkins, A.Cooper, A.Theilen, K.Golloday, C.Davis, L.Fitzgerald, Z.Pascal, M.Boykin
TE(1-2): D.Njoku, D.Waller
'21 - 1,4

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Fri May 01, 2015 9:01 pm

As an Ellington owner I'm somewhat uncertain. On one hand it isn't an elite option. On the other it isn't a power back, rather has a similar skill-set to Ellington. Part of me wishes it has been more of a plodder, but at the same time I don't think David Johnson is any sort of sure thing, and Ellington was previously given the respect to be The Guy, so clearly they shouldn't just defer his primary skillset to another option.

Time will tell how this plays out, but truthfully I'm not certain what to think yet. Seems like a similar strength situation to me, just with more size...
Last edited by FiremanEd on Sat May 02, 2015 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Furyball
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Furyball » Fri May 01, 2015 9:03 pm

I had been shopping Ellington trying to use Julius Thomas to upgrade my RB position. I may sit on Ellington now and target Johnson in mid to late 2nd.
9-7 (3rd place), 8-8, 8-8 record x3 seasons
QB: Andy Dalton, Eli Manning, Matthew Stafford
RB: L. Bell, Forsett, D. Martin, L. Murray, C. Sims, J. Allen, D. Williams, D. Henry, W. Smallwood, D. Sproles
WR: Dem. Thomas, A. Cooper, S. Watkins, Decker, V. Jackson, T. Lockett, J. Gordon
TE: Greg Olsen, Eric Ebron, Vance McDonald,Tyler Higbee
DST: Ravens, Steelers, Dolphins

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Fri May 01, 2015 9:24 pm

I would have been much more concerned with a 220+ thumper in Arizona .. I kind of agree this helps Ellington some and may look like more of a 1-2 punching combo ...

Will be interesting, looks like I'll be watching all the Cardinal games again this year!
@PlankMelody

Krang
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krang » Sat May 02, 2015 7:44 am

Plank wrote:I would have been much more concerned with a 220+ thumper in Arizona ..
You do know Johnson is listed at 224, right? Or are you just not considering him to be a "thumper"?

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Sat May 02, 2015 7:58 am

I like the spot for Johnson. I am hoping he lasts into the 15-18 range in rookie drafts
Especially with the line upgrades in AZ I think the fit is good.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Sat May 02, 2015 7:59 am

Krang wrote:
Plank wrote:I would have been much more concerned with a 220+ thumper in Arizona ..
You do know Johnson is listed at 224, right? /quote]

...and 6' 3" !!!

Jecked
Starter
Starter

Postby Jecked » Sat May 02, 2015 8:03 am

Krang wrote:
You do know Johnson is listed at 224, right? Or are you just not considering him to be a "thumper"?
He's not a thumper in style, he's a bigger Ellington as a receiving back but Ellington is a better pure RB.

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Sat May 02, 2015 8:11 am

I'd almost say it's a good thing for both RBs, is that possible?
Ellington makes out because they didn't draft a super high RB that would have automatically regulated him to a 3rd down role, he still has a chance and the inside track to be the starting guy, and should have a role regardless. I wouldn't call this best case scenario for Andre owners, but it could have been a lot worse.
As for Johnson, he goes to a team that only has Ellington in front of him, not a clear cut number 1 like a Forte or Bell or something. I think he is a good fit for the system, and expect he should get a chance to compete for significant snaps if not wrestle the starting job away.
In reality, if you are a believer in either of these two players, now may be a good time to be buying in. I may kick the tires on Ellington myself.

Jecked
Starter
Starter

Postby Jecked » Sat May 02, 2015 8:17 am

In a league if i have Ellington i would consider johnson with a mid second pick, no higher though.

Made the mistake of passing on Beckham jr who i loved with the last pick in the first round (12th overall) to draft Mason as i had Zac Stacy.

NEVER AGAIN.