Cognitive Bias

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Pix
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Cognitive Bias

Postby Pix » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:33 am

Having seen this expression used by a few posters, I found this awesome list of 90 weaknesses that cloud our judgement.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases

I think it supports the argument that dynasty leagues are not like stock markets, since most of us don't invest large sums in systems to help us avoid these biases. But maybe I'm just exposing my own tendency towards confirmation bias.

So, can we use this knowledge to compensate for our biases and maybe exploit those of our leaguemates? That's one heck of a checklist to go through each time you consider a transaction.
Or if you want to start a self help group, I'll start by saying I suffer from most of them and don't understand the rest. :?
Or we could just have a game of cognitive bias bingo on the forum.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Cognitive Bias

Postby clarion contrarion » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:51 am

oh the metrics guys will love having the the waters this muddy in the search for a simple solution.

my favorite the dunning kruger effect ....people are too dumb or incompetent to not know what they don't know ... and the fact that it took two people apparently to name this grievous malady .
A man has got to know his limitations
Last edited by clarion contrarion on Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:00 am

It's good read. My favorite line is from the opening paragraph:

"It is important to remember, however, that in every day life, just knowing about these biases doesn't necessarily free you from them."

I think the biggest take from all this is two people can look at the same data and be convinced of two totally different conclusions. You can't bludgeon a potential trade partner into agreeing with your values and accepting your offer.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Telperion
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Telperion » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:13 am

Non-metric people would accuse me of falling victim to anchoring and clustering when writing off certain rookies. They would rebut me with examples of a player or 2 with terrible metrics who succeeded, and I would call the Von Restorff Effect on them.

Who's right?
- Don't waste your time on late round NFL draft picks: Success rates by NFL draft round and speed.
- Team(s): Team 1

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:24 am

Thank you for this link. It's going to come in handy for more than just fantasy football.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:16 pm

Let's try this again.
Download the 2019 Cohort Report for free today!

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:35 pm

Good call.

People reference these a lot (specifically confirmation bias, recency bias and herd instinct) to varying degrees of correct usage. The one that stands out in fantasy football to me that we don't see referenced around here is "Loss aversion", but it absolutely plays a major part in how people make fantasy decisions.

The premise is that the cost associated with losing an object is considered to be greater than the cost associated with acquiring it. Essentially, we're inclined to weigh the thought of somebody we traded away blowing up much more heavily than the idea of not acquiring a great player. We might feel bad that we turned down that offer for Montee Ball before 2014 that included Jeremy Hill, but the guy who did trade Hill away for Montee Ball feels much worse, even though it's the exact same thing.
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:04 pm

Messenger bias(not found so I'm making it up)- the validity of an argument or idea based on the perception of the merits of the messenger. Or conversely, the notion that by belittling the messenger you somehow prove that the message is less valid. I often find this bias in play in the name calling in political discourse.

*this post was in response to a parley of hostile responses that have since been swept under the rug(deleted). I guess the world would be a better place if we had more powerful janitors.
Last edited by Hottoddies on Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:16 pm

Hottoddies wrote:Messenger bias(not found so I'm making it up)- the validity of an argument or idea based on the perception of the merits of the messenger. Or conversely, the notion that by belittling the messenger you somehow prove that the message is less valid. I often find this bias in play in the name calling in political discourse.
Hey! These are actually real things, they're just not listed on that page. Great points though!
the validity of an argument or idea based on the perception of the merits of the messenger
This is the "argument from authority" logical fallacy. It's basically X said Y, and X is smart, so Y is true.
. Or conversely, the notion that by belittling the messenger you somehow prove that the message is less valid.
This is "ad hominem", and it's exactly what you said it is.

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:28 pm

OhCruelestRanter wrote:
. Or conversely, the notion that by belittling the messenger you somehow prove that the message is less valid.
Edited. You're killing me here.
Download the 2019 Cohort Report for free today!

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:32 pm

Hey Man, this is fantasy football....you guys are in rock bottom (SpongeBob reference). Waaay deep! jk :confused: :think:

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:43 pm

dlf_jules wrote:
OhCruelestRanter wrote:
Edited. You're killing me here.
I thought that one was fair! :ewink:

maxhyde
GOAT
GOAT

Postby maxhyde » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:54 pm

Nice find.
DLF HOF League 16 team PPR
QB: Brees, Bradford, Lock(3.07)
RB: David Johnson, Penny, Sanders(1.07), Montgomery(1.06), Love(2.07) Bernard, MLynch, Morris, TJLogan, Joe Williams, Shaun Wilson
WR: Jeffery,Cooper, Josh Gordon, Dede Westbrook, Cam Meredith, Brice Butler, Chester Rogers, Lockett, Switzer, Malone, Cain (IR)
TE: Gronk, Swaim, Maxx Williams