Mike Davis - Starting in Atlanta?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
startstopping
Role Player
Role Player

Mike Davis - Starting in Atlanta?

Postby startstopping » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:35 am

First let me preface by saying I am a huge Gamecock homer.

At USC's pro day Mike Davis just ran a 4.38 40.

Ive thought lately that Davis was being undervalued in the dynasty community and would be a incredible value in the late second or early third. He has all the physical tools. He is fast, big, breaks tackles, has great hands, pretty good vision.

After watching every single one of his touches as a fan, to me his biggest red flag is mental. He routinely takes himself out of games for minor injuries, and sometimes appears to just check out mentally when he is in the game.

If he can get his head right (which I think millions of dollars would be a good incentive to) I think he has more potential to be a 3 down back than any other RB in this class with the exception of Gurley and Ajayi.

Is he being overlooked a little bit in any one else's mind?

Swampdonkey17
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Mike Davis

Postby Swampdonkey17 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:47 am

sshhh...
Journal of my first orphan rebuild. If you're in a rebuild and want to get ideas or give some, feel free.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=92442
QB: Andrew Luck,Andy Dalton, Brett Hundley, Trevor Siemian
RB: Lamar Miller, Eddie Lacy,Carlos Hyde,Dion Lewis, Mark Ingram, Thomas Rawls,Terrell Watson, Legarette Blount, Daniel Lasco, DJ Foster
WR: Deandre Hopkins,Alshon Jeffrey,Randall Cobb,Kelvin Benjamin,Jarvis Landry, Devante Parker, Tyrell Williams,
TE: Greg Olsen, Eric Ebron,Julius Thomas
D: Denver, Baltimore

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:06 am

startstopping wrote:First let me preface by saying I am a huge Gamecock homer.

At USC's pro day Mike Davis just ran a 4.38 40.

Ive thought lately that Davis was being undervalued in the dynasty community and would be a incredible value in the late second or early third. He has all the physical tools. He is fast, big, breaks tackles, has great hands, pretty good vision.

After watching every single one of his touches as a fan, to me his biggest red flag is mental. He routinely takes himself out of games for minor injuries, and sometimes appears to just check out mentally when he is in the game.

If he can get his head right (which I think millions of dollars would be a good incentive to) I think he has more potential to be a 3 down back than any other RB in this class with the exception of Gurley and Ajayi.

Is he being overlooked a little bit in any one else's mind?

If a guy with no money cannot get his head on straight with the incentive of receiving millions of dollars, I cannot see how having the money will make that situation better....will you explain your reasoning?

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:11 am

Swampdonkey17 wrote:sshhh...
Yeah Mike Davis totally sucks. Overlooked? How about lets not look at all. Let's go back to discussing TJ Yeldon.

Telperion
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Telperion » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:38 am

I'm pretty high on Mike Davis, I like him as the 3rd RB.

That said, there's no way he improved on his 40 by a quarter second, he looks like his combine time. His true time is probably around 4.56-4.58.
Last edited by Telperion on Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Don't waste your time on late round NFL draft picks: Success rates by NFL draft round and speed.
- Team(s): Team 1

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:47 am

for me 3rd is too rich but I would happily draft him at back of the 1st or the top of 2nd . I play in all 16 team leagues so one league I have 1:13 I could see taking him there and like the value.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Telperion
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Telperion » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:56 am

clarion contrarion wrote:for me 3rd is too rich but I would happily draft him at back of the 1st or the top of 2nd . I play in all 16 team leagues so one league I have 1:13 I could see taking him there and like the value.
Right, value wise he's not worth taking at RB3 if consensus has him much lower.

I pick *.09/12 and I think that's reasonable, but my league mates are mostly dynasty newbs so I anticipate somebody better falling too far to pass up at 9. Hopefully he's there at 2.09 or I'll trade up if needed.
- Don't waste your time on late round NFL draft picks: Success rates by NFL draft round and speed.
- Team(s): Team 1

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:08 am

I have him as my rb 6/7 but I think draft spot wise we are on the same page pretty much anywhere from say 12th to 17 or 18 and if he is still there I will go get him unless he gets buried on a depth chart. Most of my rosters are loaded and I don't have much room for maybes at this point but I try to keep 1 spot available for guys I really really like that are falling for whatever reason. 1 league I have 14 17 & 19 and will absolutely draft him in that league if he is there at 14 . I have peterson hill miller andd then brandon oliver is my rb4 so he could work nicely in that mix.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:33 am

No way Davis ran a 4.38

Hottoddies
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hottoddies » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:27 pm

Swampdonkey17 wrote:sshhh...
2.09 is my 1st pick in this draft and was loving his current ADP… so shhhhhh!
"Smart people learn from everything and everyone, average people from their experiences, stupid people already have all the answers." - Socrates

Dookmarriot
MVP
MVP

Postby Dookmarriot » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:57 pm

I'm really intrigued by what I've seen. Looks like he's got all the tools to be a feature back.

But I spook easily when you hear the "lack of motivation" whispers - or even the screams. Same kind of thing makes me nervous about DGB.

Still, in an auction draft, he should come relatively cheap while others blow their stacks on Gurley and Gordon...

:think:
"I like reading the predictions of the morons on here and cashing in by doing the opposite. Especially Dookmariot." - Lotto4Life

"Because of (the Raiders), there's the no-clothesline rule, the no-hitting-out-of-bounds rule, the no-fumbling-forward-in-the-last-two-minutes rule, the no-throwing-helmets rule and the no-Stickum rule. So you see, we're not all bad." - Ted "The Mad Stork" Hendricks

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:47 pm

His 2013 film was really fun to watch and honestly I disagree with the OP that he took himself out of games with minor inuries ... He played with bruised ribs and his performance late in the year vs. Mississippi State (2013) was gutsy ..

If I have a knock on him is that he may lack the agility to avoid taking the big hits and may be injured more than most, certainly seems to be a pattern...
@PlankMelody

snitchinsider
Role Player
Role Player

Postby snitchinsider » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:48 pm

He's a guy that I suspect NFL teams are going to be on to sooner than fantasy players. As soon as an NFL team drafts him much higher than expected -- and over more respected dynasty backs -- the light will turn on and the hype train will vault him up draft boards. He's a late second in plenty of ADP data right now. I expect him to rise as far as bottom of the first / top of the second following the NFL draft.

I think the upside of Mike Davis is top-tier fantasy back. That's 2013 Mike Davis. Unfortunately, the downside to me is he comes into the league, doesn't take his weight seriously enough and becomes Mike Tolbert.
Hopkins elitist.
Abdullah apologist.
Ajayi truther.
Bortles drum banger.

iCantStop
Starter
Starter

Postby iCantStop » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:20 pm

I don't know much about the guy, but here's what I've observed so far in this thread:

"No way he ran the 40 that well" - well, you better go talk to the University of South Carolina, because they're the ones that said he did.

"Nervous about him taking plays off" - See: Moss, Randy.

Just playing devil's advocate ;)

*Edit - wrong USC .... haha. :wall:
Last edited by iCantStop on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:24 pm

Wrong USC, but still. There's no way he ran a sub-4.4 40