Best Dynasty Podcasts?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Best Dynasty Podcasts?

Postby jordanzs » Mon May 13, 2019 5:14 pm

By far my favorite is The Fantasy Footballers.

But that's because I like their presentation & sense of humor. I also like their non-fantasy football podcast called "Spitballers Comedy Podcast".

Bot101
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Bot101 » Mon May 13, 2019 5:52 pm

jordanzs wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:14 pm By far my favorite is The Fantasy Footballers.

But that's because I like their presentation & sense of humor. I also like their non-fantasy football podcast called "Spitballers Comedy Podcast".
I love the Ballers for redraft. For awhile I tended to throw their dynasty takes out the window. But I will say they have improved in that area lately. Mike was ahead of Andy and Jason but they've caught up.

jordanzs
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby jordanzs » Mon May 13, 2019 6:01 pm

Yeah they are getting much better on the dynasty takes.

Also I feel like I get so much dynasty intel from sites like this, but the podcasts that I lean on more are the weekly lineup advice episodes, and for that, redraft or dynasty is the same :)

NFLMAX
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby NFLMAX » Mon May 13, 2019 6:03 pm

I used to listen to John Hansen at FantasyGuru back in the day. Not sure if they have upped their game for dynasty though, it's been a while.

ColdZealDonkeyStrike
MVP
MVP

Postby ColdZealDonkeyStrike » Tue May 14, 2019 5:56 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:18 pm Probably means Rotounderworld. Regardless of whether or not you like Matt Kelley, I find him the most entertaining. He brings the "professional Wrestling" tactic as he puts it, to other podcasters he doesn't like. Nick Whalen being the latest. His show is meandering but his editing and flow has become very refined from his earlier days, so a 2 hour show doesn't seem to drag. Some people find him abrasive, and I used to, but it's definitely a character of sorts, and you either like it or you don't, I think.
Spot on with Kelley. He's abrasive and his schtick is to be kind of a DB, but he a) understands he is podcasting on a game derived from a game and doesn't take himself too seriously, and b) is simply a good entertainer who produces entertaining content. I don't care one way or another for his final verdicts on players, but then I feel like I have been playing long enough that I am not looking for advice as much as I am just wanting to hear other points of view on the news I have been paing attention to. He also usually has top notch guests.
Dynasty player since 2002.
I probably should have done something more productive with that time...

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Tue May 14, 2019 11:35 am

This is very helpful. We should have this "pinned" or "stickied".

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Tue May 14, 2019 12:49 pm

M-Dub wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 4:12 pm I mainly just listen to Matt Kelley and JJ Zachariason. Kelley cracks me up, but I also appreciate that his perspective is entirely metrics driven and not influenced by TV watching. JJ’s pods are pretty short (almost always under 20 min). He’s not the showman that Kelley is, but he’s really bright and packs a lot of info into such a short run time.

That’s about all I have time for, since I’m also a huge wrestling nerd and listen to Busted Open every weekday, in addition to occasionally checking out Jim Ross and Jim Cornette’s pods.

That said, if anyone has any recommendations for other analytics focused, non-film grinder dynasty pods, I’m all ears.
Rotation for useful ideas:
Matt Kelley's Podcast. He can bother me at times, but he can also make me laugh. He's also incredibly reliable when it comes to sniffing out 2nd round and 3rd round rookie draft value plays. He consistently finds guys that make rosters and contribute and often break out. Only one other podcast does that as consistently for me.

Rotoviz: That's the other podcast I trust for digging up successful rookie draft value plays outside round 1. They're also just fantastic in general. Love the Tradecast podcast for trade ideas, and listen to the podcasts w/Shawn Siegele, and with and Matthew Freedman in particular. Blair Andrews is a brilliant guy but his voice (nothing he can control) is just incredibly distracting.

DTC: They round out probably the most informative, again w/trade ideas.

In terms of Entertainment:
DynastytradesHQ:
DHH: Not funny, but they usually have interesting ideas.
Trade Addicts: My favorite for humor along with HQ.

Others I listen to:
Blueprint: Just a solid one.
UTH: They annoy the hell out of me, and I don't think they're nearly as good as they seem to think.
Sharp Football Analysis: It would go in the informative group, but I think he's only doing it during the season.

I'll second the distaste for Whalen. He's the kind of arrogant I don't like. Won't own his misses (for all his arrogance, and potentially off putting personality traits, Kelley devotes an entire multihour episode each year to bad takes after the season. I like that kind of ownership/accountability, and he also avoids "take lock" as they put it, when he's wrong, he changes his mind and goes the otherway (see Kerry Yawn Johnson for instance). Whalen just comes across as an, 'I coach football, I know football, I watch tape." that I tend to find dunderheaded. I err much more heavily towards analytics approaches.

I should listen to the rotoworld podcast more because they have some brilliant guys on/working for them.

I listen sometimes to plenty more, but most if not all of them are just filler I listen to when I haven't got a good podcast from any of the above, or Bill Burr, or Joe Rogan, or my science podcasts I'm addicted too etc.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Tue May 14, 2019 12:58 pm

RCS wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:31 am I listen to UTH every other week, I just can't stand Katie Flowers at all
Her Kyler Murray take was an all timer. I'm also just skeptical of people that haven't been playing fantasy for very long elevated to "know it all" status. I've played for what, 15 years longer than Katie and I definitely don't know it all. There's always more you can learn, and there are always mistakes to find in your approach. I just kind of find her insufferable as well, but I suffer through it anyway because she has plenty of good takes as well, she just seems to lack self-awareness at times. Not a fan of Chad either though (just seems to have a great deal of Hubris). I've gotten to like Tim more over the years as he revealed more about his frailties. That kind of honesty I can respect, and he has his share of good takes as well (and in fairness to Katie, a lot of people missed on Kyler's intentions, but her unjustified confidence in her take in him came across as pretty idiotic in short order (I'll grant, in a lot of ways, it would've been far smarter to play pro baseball if he definitely had the talent to make it as a pro (far less likely w/1st round prospects then 1st round prospects in the NFL).

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Tue May 14, 2019 1:07 pm

Krypto_King wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:22 pm I forgot about Harris Football. I think he's probably the best "tape guy" in the business.

Disagree with yall I really like Whalen and the banter he had on DTC even if I disagree with his takes.

I used to like Kelley when he would appear on other pods but now he's just too much. He always appears in my twitter feed patting himself on the back about something and all I can think about is him cackling about how good Nathan Peterman is last summer.
Lol, this really makes sense because I loathe Whalen and Chris Harris. Dropped Harris a few years ago (of course I don't do any redraft anymore, so his stuff isn't helpful anyway). Also would second that voices can bother. For a while I kept forgetting Tim Torch was a guy, and as mentioned previously, Blair Andrews just has a brutal, brutal voice. You can't control that voice so I feel kind of bad saying it, but it's absolute torture listening to those guys talk, and for that matter the two doofus dynasty nerds guys (although I really was dead wrong about them being Zeke homers because they're out of Cleveland/Ohio. For the same reason I get annoyed by fellow redskins fans who prop Maryland, and Virginia and Va Tech prospects in forums I post in. I'm just super distrustful of people when they're repeatedly propping guys out of their own backyard. I'm a Cal Alum and liked DJack, and Lynch, loved Rodgers and Allen, but viewed Goff and Marvin Jones as just solid at best (kinda missed on Jones, owned him, but didn't believe he had WR2 potential, and at times he's been that, thought he was more of a WR3/WR4 in an ideal situation if he landed it), Cal or no Cal, I know our QB's are nearly always garbage (see Webb, and Nate whats his face from 10 years ago etc), and our RB's other than Lynch are usually no more than satellite options. It's damn hard to value our WR's because the QB play is usually awful too.

Anyway, yeah, I wasn't in position to land Zeke anywhere, but I hate to think of what might've happened if I had landed the 1.01 in '16 because I was stupid enough to give serious consideration to Coleman, Treadwell, and Doctson there, probably would've traded out just because the value for me would've been in that. Thought Zeke would be a good pro, but didn't see how good he would actually become, plus was leery of drafting him for off field stupidity issues. But yeah, the Nerds guys have annoying voices (especially the sidekick) and a really dunderheaded feel, which is a shame because over the years, they've done pretty well w/dynasty rookie rankings even though I prefer other podcasts to them. They're just too hard to listen to due to the voices and the annoying style of interplay they have (for me).

Go Bucks
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Go Bucks » Tue May 14, 2019 1:31 pm

NFLMAX wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:03 pm I used to listen to John Hansen at FantasyGuru back in the day. Not sure if they have upped their game for dynasty though, it's been a while.
Love listening to Hansen in-season. Especially when Adam Caplan or Greg Cosell are guests. But it's definitely slanted towards redraft. Also has some DFS discussion. Unfortunately very little dynasty content.

stoneghost28
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby stoneghost28 » Tue May 14, 2019 2:08 pm

jordanzs wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:01 pm Yeah they are getting much better on the dynasty takes.

Also I feel like I get so much dynasty intel from sites like this, but the podcasts that I lean on more are the weekly lineup advice episodes, and for that, redraft or dynasty is the same :)
They come across as just entertainment w/the occasional nugget of useful information for me, and as mentioned, they don't or haven't had much value in terms of dynasty and so that lessens the value even further with me. Some podcasts mix excellent insight and entertainment, but that's the hardest needle for them to thread, most mix in a moderate to light amount of usable ideas w/heavier doses of entertainment value.

Krypto_King
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krypto_King » Tue May 14, 2019 10:07 pm

stoneghost28 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:07 pm Lol, this really makes sense because I loathe Whalen and Chris Harris. Dropped Harris a few years ago (of course I don't do any redraft anymore, so his stuff isn't helpful anyway).
I had stopped listening to Harris for a while too (forget why) but last season he was doing some really in depth break downs of a lot of rookies and young guys which I found quite useful and has been gearing more content towards dynasty in the offseason. He's also got tape breakdowns on his youtube channel which help me get eyes on players. Biggest issue is I can't stand his intro or outro music, super cliche hipster indie crap.

LestForce
Rookie
Rookie

Postby LestForce » Wed May 15, 2019 10:44 am

I suppose it isn’t strictly dynasty focused, but BDGE fantasy has become my go to for fantasy analysis, and appears to be switching focus more so to dynasty. Listening to his pod (not the podcast for their league) gives off a very chill vibe, and the info is rock solid.
Dynasty Fantasy Football League (12 team, 48 man roster .5 PPR) 5-7
QB: , Allen, Mayfield, Darnold,
RB: Sanders, Chubb, Javonte Williams, Harris, R Freeman, Cohen, J Wilson,T Williams, Guice
WR: Lamb, ARob, Boyd, M Thomas, G Davis, Cobb, Toney, A Rodgers, Westbrook, J Washington, Harmon, Reynolds, T Smith,
TE: Andrews, Kittle, Njoku, I Smith
K: Slye, Hopkins
DL: Ingram, Clark, Hicks, Gross-Matos, Oliver
LB: D. Jones, Warner, Murray, Williamson, Greenlaw, Barnes
DB: T. White, M. Jenkins, Neal, Willis, Apke, K. Joseph,
Picks: N/A

Star Wars Dynasty League (20 team, 2 copy SF PPR TE prem)
QB: Mahomes, Rivers, Bridgewater, Rudolph, Beathard, Driskel
RB: Kamara, Conner, Gurley, Lindsay, Mostert, McKinnon, Cohen, Gaskin, Bernard, Hyde, Wilson, Thompson, Guice
WR: AJ Brown, Allen, Cooks, Landry, Shenault, Shepard, C Wilson, Samuel, Beasley, Ford, Tate,
TE: Henry, Higbee, Brate, Eifert

ebsteelers
Role Player
Role Player

Postby ebsteelers » Thu May 16, 2019 6:45 am

do you guys listen to all the roto viz podcasts? seems like they have a few options

OhCruelestRanter
MVP
MVP

Postby OhCruelestRanter » Thu May 16, 2019 11:34 am

RCS wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:31 am I listen to UTH every other week, I just can't stand Katie Flowers at all
I wanted to give her a chance, and then she started this most recent podcast with “I’m a Libra, so...”

GROOOAAAANNNNNNNNN
COOGAN IS A CHEATER AND A THIEF