DGB Discussion

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
SlimJim958
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Re: DGB Discussion

Postby SlimJim958 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:52 pm

Cameron Giles wrote:
SlimJim958 wrote:I will be drafting him at 1.04. Top WR (talent) in the draft. If he busts for whatever reason you want to come up with then so be it. The risk is well worth the reward IMO.
At 1.4, I'm not sure the risk (with players like Parker, White and Strong available) is worth the reward unless DGB becomes a Top 5-10 WR.
In your opinion. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me. BTW, Strong isn't in the same category as DGB, White, and Parker. But go ahead and take him in the top 6 - 8 picks if YOU like him because that's YOUR opinion.

ajmyk
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ajmyk » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:59 pm

Something i want to understand.

OK, the guy had off-field issue, and most of the discussion on him are on this subject.

What I don't get is people assuming that if we put aside the off-field concern, he's a great player. Some argue, the best WR of this class.

But the guy didn't even give himself the occasion to break out in college.
He had a nice but season when a sophomore, but still a mere 59/883/12 looking really raw on tape.
It's totally excusable for a sophomore, but how do you know he would have stepped up to stardom in Junior season ?
it's a blank there, and everyone goes on assuming he would have put numbers similar to Amari Cooper (124/1727/16) , Kevin White (109/1447/10) and Parker (43/855/5 in 6 game only). You don't know this. You don't know if he would have looked more polished.
We didn't see any of that, but anyone is talking him up like it happened. why ?

The only thing we know about him is his freakish athleticism. But it's far than enough to succes in the NFL.
1. 14-teamer, .5 PPR, 2 Flex, 16 keepers
QB :Palmer, Bridgewater, RG3
RB : Gurley, Hyde, Yeldon, McKinnon
WR: Dez, Jeffery, Evans, Watkins, Marshall, Diggs, Sharpe
TE : Eifert, ASJ,
IDP : Mosley, Olegtree, Collins &Stuff

2. 12-teamer, standard, 6 PTD, full dynasty
QB: Rodgers, Bortles, Petty
RB : McCoy, Forsett, Spiller, Lewis, KRob, Ridley, Haynes
WR : Julio, AJ Green, Tate, Latimer, Lee
TE : Gronk , Hill, Chandler

SlimJim958
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby SlimJim958 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:37 pm

I agree with you, we don't know and I have never claimed to have a crystal ball regarding any player. That's part of the beauty about fantasy football. White and DGB both could bust or boom. As previously stated, there is more risk with DGB. A risk I'm going to take.

ConnSKINS26
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ConnSKINS26 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:55 pm

ajmyk wrote:Something i want to understand.

OK, the guy had off-field issue, and most of the discussion on him are on this subject.

What I don't get is people assuming that if we put aside the off-field concern, he's a great player. Some argue, the best WR of this class.

He had a nice but season when a sophomore, but still a mere 59/883/12 looking really raw on tape.
It's totally excusable for a sophomore, but how do you know he would have stepped up to stardom in Junior season ?
it's a blank there, and everyone goes on assuming he would have put numbers similar to Amari Cooper (124/1727/16) , Kevin White (109/1447/10) and Parker (43/855/5 in 6 game only). You don't know this. You don't know if he would have looked more polished.

The only thing we know about him is his freakish athleticism. But it's far than enough to succes in the NFL.
Posted this a while ago:

Listen guys, I'm already a DGB owner in a devy league, so I have a vested interest.

But the outlook on these forums of his talent is really, really rosy.

He's not a perfect prospect if you set aside the off-field stuff, guys. Not even necessarily a great one. His agility is questionable, his YAC ability is questionable and other than a play or two where he drives his legs through weak tackles on the highlights everyone has seen, it's hard to find film of him actually getting YAC. Which is fine, that's not really his game. He's 6'6" and he was just perfecting his high pointing skills before he got booted from the team.

That doesn't change that 75% of his highlights (and it's hard to find anything other than highlights) consist of him catching deep balls behind college defenses or skying for four TD's over the same crappy 5'9" college CB in the same game.

Hey, he could be an absolute stud. His production was increasing at an acceptable rate year to year for a great prospect if he kept playing, his big plays pass the eye test. But he is no can't-miss prospect even if you ignore the off-field stuff. I think we need to temper our expectations here.

I think it's one of three things:

1. He doesn't have the body of work available to us on tape to prove he's a complete WR.
or
2. He's not a complete WR, but can vastly improve because of his ceiling.
or
3. His "ceiling" is more a construct of the draftnik/dynasty community's collective hopes for another Calvin, inflated by his recognizable name and pedigree as a famous recruit, than any real potential to be an elite WR1. Maybe rather than Calvin or Moss or Green or even Evans, he's a taller Jon Baldwin (tall, straight line, minimal short area quickness and get-off ability, disappointing hands in comparison to his highlight reel).

We just don't have the tape to know for sure, it's tough to find anything other than highlights and his big game vs. Kentucky. Mike Evans mainly broke out his last year in school, and yet we had TONS more tape of him doing the types of things people freely attribute to DGB, plus a ton more ability to work the sideline and work back toward the QB. Maybe if DGB had played another year, and being higher profile and draft eligible, we'd have the tape to know for sure and he would have proven to be what many are saying he already is. But we can't know that.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:34 pm

ConnSKINS26 wrote:
ajmyk wrote:Something i want to understand.

Posted this a while ago:

Listen guys, I'm already a DGB owner in a devy league, so I have a vested interest.

But the outlook on these forums of his talent is really, really rosy.

He's not a perfect prospect if you set aside the off-field stuff, guys. Not even necessarily a great one. His agility is questionable, his YAC ability is questionable and other than a play or two where he drives his legs through weak tackles on the highlights everyone has seen, it's hard to find film of him actually getting YAC. Which is fine, that's not really his game. He's 6'6" and he was just perfecting his high pointing skills before he got booted from the team.

That doesn't change that 75% of his highlights (and it's hard to find anything other than highlights) consist of him catching deep balls behind college defenses or skying for four TD's over the same crappy 5'9" college CB in the same game.

Hey, he could be an absolute stud. His production was increasing at an acceptable rate year to year for a great prospect if he kept playing, his big plays pass the eye test. But he is no can't-miss prospect even if you ignore the off-field stuff. I think we need to temper our expectations here.

I think it's one of three things:

1. He doesn't have the body of work available to us on tape to prove he's a complete WR.
or
2. He's not a complete WR, but can vastly improve because of his ceiling.
or
3. His "ceiling" is more a construct of the draftnik/dynasty community's collective hopes for another Calvin, inflated by his recognizable name and pedigree as a famous recruit, than any real potential to be an elite WR1. Maybe rather than Calvin or Moss or Green or even Evans, he's a taller Jon Baldwin (tall, straight line, minimal short area quickness and get-off ability, disappointing hands in comparison to his highlight reel).

We just don't have the tape to know for sure, it's tough to find anything other than highlights and his big game vs. Kentucky. Mike Evans mainly broke out his last year in school, and yet we had TONS more tape of him doing the types of things people freely attribute to DGB, plus a ton more ability to work the sideline and work back toward the QB. Maybe if DGB had played another year, and being higher profile and draft eligible, we'd have the tape to know for sure and he would have proven to be what many are saying he already is. But we can't know that.

So true. Couldn't have said it better myself.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Swampdonkey17
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Swampdonkey17 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:16 am

To anyone who doesn't think he deserves to be top WR, which I don't argue at all, this is all opinion. Is it possible for him to become the top ranked WR to you? If (and I get it, this is hypothetical) he smokes the combine, good landing spot, and it appears he's turned the off-field issues around...then what? I've read in the past week reports of him seriously turning his life around while at OK.

While I agree his off-field issues are a concern, I feel like it's been magnified with Gordon/Rice/AP/Hardy issues in the past year. I'm not excusing them, and don't think they should be wiped away, but I think it's been, I dunno not blown out of proportion, but bigger than it needs to be. He was a kid, and in his world everyone out there was telling him he was a god. Same as young actors. I did some dumb bleep as a kid myself, nothing like what he did, but it can also be a maturing process, not just a sign of things to come.

Could he be Josh Gordon, sure. He could be Dez Bryant too. Or he could be Stephen Hill. But his ceiling I think is the highest of the entire draft. I think the closer we get to dynasty drafts, he will (and personally I think there's 7 players as of right now) be considered in the 1.01 discussion.
Journal of my first orphan rebuild. If you're in a rebuild and want to get ideas or give some, feel free.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=92442
QB: Andrew Luck,Andy Dalton, Brett Hundley, Trevor Siemian
RB: Lamar Miller, Eddie Lacy,Carlos Hyde,Dion Lewis, Mark Ingram, Thomas Rawls,Terrell Watson, Legarette Blount, Daniel Lasco, DJ Foster
WR: Deandre Hopkins,Alshon Jeffrey,Randall Cobb,Kelvin Benjamin,Jarvis Landry, Devante Parker, Tyrell Williams,
TE: Greg Olsen, Eric Ebron,Julius Thomas
D: Denver, Baltimore

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:58 am

"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:32 am

SlimJim958 wrote:I agree with you, we don't know and I have never claimed to have a crystal ball regarding any player. That's part of the beauty about fantasy football. White and DGB both could bust or boom. As previously stated, there is more risk with DGB. A risk I'm going to take.
So in theory, how high would you be willing to draft DGB as of today? For me he's out of the question in the top 3. It's Gordon/Gurley/Cooper in some order. I also really like Parker, so I feel confident that at this point I'd take him before DGB as well.

That puts him in the 1.05-1.07 tier for me, along with White/Strong. Of course so much can/will change between now and when we actually make out picks. For now though, that's the range I'd put him in. I just don't see the depth of elite talent in this draft (especially at WR), to justify knocking DGB down any further than that.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

SlimJim958
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby SlimJim958 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:07 am

BuckeyeNation wrote:
SlimJim958 wrote:I agree with you, we don't know and I have never claimed to have a crystal ball regarding any player. That's part of the beauty about fantasy football. White and DGB both could bust or boom. As previously stated, there is more risk with DGB. A risk I'm going to take.
So in theory, how high would you be willing to draft DGB as of today? For me he's out of the question in the top 3. It's Gordon/Gurley/Cooper in some order. I also really like Parker, so I feel confident that at this point I'd take him before DGB as well.

That puts him in the 1.05-1.07 tier for me, along with White/Strong. Of course so much can/will change between now and when we actually make out picks. For now though, that's the range I'd put him in. I just don't see the depth of elite talent in this draft (especially at WR), to justify knocking DGB down any further than that.
I have the 1.04 (via trade) and will be taking him there in my rookie draft that will have Gordon, Gurley, and Cooper going 1, 2, and 3. Personally, I have Cooper, DGB, and White all very close and then Parker. If certain things happened at the combine and at the NFL draft, I could certainly see myself taking him at 1.03 ahead of Cooper if I had that pick.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:41 am

ImageImage
@PlankMelody

Swampdonkey17
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Swampdonkey17 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:56 am

Plank wrote:ImageImage
great post, nuff said. I can honestly say I never once bought into the next Megatron BS, but I do think he could be elite in the right situation. I've changed my view slightly on the WR rankings, but not enough to completely discount him out.
Journal of my first orphan rebuild. If you're in a rebuild and want to get ideas or give some, feel free.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=92442
QB: Andrew Luck,Andy Dalton, Brett Hundley, Trevor Siemian
RB: Lamar Miller, Eddie Lacy,Carlos Hyde,Dion Lewis, Mark Ingram, Thomas Rawls,Terrell Watson, Legarette Blount, Daniel Lasco, DJ Foster
WR: Deandre Hopkins,Alshon Jeffrey,Randall Cobb,Kelvin Benjamin,Jarvis Landry, Devante Parker, Tyrell Williams,
TE: Greg Olsen, Eric Ebron,Julius Thomas
D: Denver, Baltimore

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:44 am

Thanks for the post. Where did you get these?
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

Wuppervalley
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Wuppervalley » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:51 am

He is raw - really really raw.

So here is what I will do.
Let someone else absorb the risk of drafting the guy in the top4 or so this year. Then watch how he doesn't live up to the hype at all in year one, because - guess what - he is raw.

If he can keep his off-field issues in check in that year one and stays on a roster, I'll try to buy him towards the end of the season

The risk I am taking is that he explodes onto the scene and I'll never get my hands on him, but I can live with that.
TEAM - 13 team - ppr - full IDP, 2 TE
QB: Ryan, Dalton
WR: J.Jones, Beckham, Hopkins, Cooks, Watkins, A.Robinson, D.Moncrief, D. Adams, Coleman, K. White, Perriman, Dobson, A.Wilson, Waller
RB: Hyde, Michael, Woodhead,Mason, Matt Jones, Zenner, Varga, Watson, McKinnon
TE: Eifert, Green, Amaro, Carrier, Maxx Williams
K: Catanzaro, McManus
P: Allen, Quigley
LB: Bowman, Coples, Hitchens, Ingram, Kerrigan, Trevathan, S.Thompson, Kennard, Z.Brown, G.Hodges
DE: Campbell, Clayborn, Daniels, Ferguson, Hicks, J. Smith
DT: Bromley, Logan, M. Brown
S: Ishmael, Lewis, McDonald, Searcy, Tartt
CB: Amukamara, Cox, Culliver, Trufant

John Paul
Role Player
Role Player

Postby John Paul » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:22 am

WhatWouldDitkaDo wrote: Thanks for the post. Where did you get these?
www.mockdraftable.com
10 Team PPR Dynasty (2012 Startup) 2018 1st 2019 2nd 2021 2nd

QB: Matt Stafford(Trade '22), Kirk Cousins(Trade '22), Baker Mayfield(Trade '22)
RB: Jonathan Taylor(Trade '21), ETN(trade '22), Breece Hall(1.02 '22), Deon Jackson (WW '23), Michael Carter (trade '23)
WR: Drake London (Trade '23), Jahan Dotson (Trade "23), Allen Robinson (Trade '22), Brandin Cooks (Trade '23), John Metchie III(2.02 "23), Rondale Moore(Trade '21), Kyle Philips(4.05 '22), Curtis Samuel (Trade '23)
TE: Kyle Pitts(Trade '22), Logan Thomas (WW "23)
LB: Logan Wilson (WW '22), Zaire Franklin (WW'23), Matt Judon (WW '23)
DB: M Fitzpatrick (WW '22), I Simmons (WW "23), Jamal Adams (WW "23)
DL: Chase Young(3.08/'20), Aidan Hutchinson (WW "23)

2023: 1.05, 1.06, 1.07, 1.08, 2.04
2024: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2
2025: 1, 1, 1, 2, 2

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:35 am

Well, whoever is drafting him with visions of Megatron, is likely misinformed. He's probably closer to a rich man's Justin Hunter. DGB is still really raw and hasn't played football in a few years. His talent is obviously undeniable.