Trestman to the Ravens

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
breeze
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Trestman to the Ravens

Postby breeze » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:36 pm

If they resign Forsett.....he could be huge

If they let walk, any rookie with receiving skills could be huge in this offense. Gurley, Ayaji and Yeldon come to mind. Not a huge Yeldon fan but seems like a perfect fit. A bigger framed Forte.

Not good news for Taliaferro or Pierce. Not ljke it matters with Pierce though, dude is brutal
Twitter: @BreezeIDP

AZK
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Trestman to the Ravens

Postby AZK » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:45 pm

Is anyone familiar with the Ravens cap situation with Torrey, Forsett (and I believe Steve Smith) free agents would they be a team looking to spend some big time money on that offense? If so that would be an excellent landing spot for alot of FA WRs.
Ainslie-Rachlin Law, "Our decisions... are guided by the perceived values at the moment of the decision - not by the potential final value."

breeze
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby breeze » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:56 pm

I wonder if the Jay Cutler/ Brandon Marshall marriage is truly broken......

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:01 pm

doubt it. I'd say Marshall stays in Chicago and is still a main piece in the passing game, opposite Jeffery and Bennett. I'd be surprised if he leaves.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:21 pm

Agree with JFever.

I don't really like this for the Ravens. Trestman had a good first year with the Bears but then his offense just did not adjust to anything this year. The play calling was extremely predictable as well. Fantasy wise it is probably OK, since there were still some big stats put up by skill players in that system. But I have little hope for Taliaferro now unfortunately - I had pretty high hopes for him before this news.

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:24 pm

Csl312 wrote:Agree with JFever.

I don't really like this for the Ravens. Trestman had a good first year with the Bears but then his offense just did not adjust to anything this year. The play calling was extremely predictable as well. Fantasy wise it is probably OK, since there were still some big stats put up by skill players in that system. But I have little hope for Taliaferro now unfortunately - I had pretty high hopes for him before this news.
Marshall and Jeffrey were hurt in some respect all year long, and Cutler was putting up the best numbers of his career so I'm not sure his offense was the issue. I think giving up 30+ points every game was the problem.

Why is this a bad hire for Taliaferro? He had 23 catches his last in year college which was on par with most highly drafted RB's other than Sims, Grice and James White.

breeze
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby breeze » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:30 pm

italian_stallion21 wrote:

Marshall and Jeffrey were hurt in some respect all year long, and Cutler was putting up the best numbers of his career so I'm not sure his offense was the issue. I think giving up 30+ points every game was the problem.

Why is this a bad hire for Taliaferro?

Trestman likes to pass. He isn't a ground and pound play caller. He also loves receiving backs. In his career as HC/OC.....his teams averaged as the 9th most pass attempts but 22nd most rush attempts.

WhatWouldDitkaDo
GOAT
GOAT

Postby WhatWouldDitkaDo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:34 pm

From a non-fantasy perspective, I don't understand this hiring for the Ravens. They are a defensive-minded team with a run game to complement that. Trestman's offense seems to be an odd fit given how they have historically liked to operate. From a fantasy perspective, this makes Flacco an interesting buy-low as well as whoever their starting RB will be for PPR leagues.
Kittles Pox | Championships: 2015, 2017
12-Team PPR | QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST
QB: Kyler Murray, Aaron Rodgers
RB: Christian McCaffrey, Melvin Gordon, James Conner, Phillip Lindsay, Tevin Coleman, Boston Scott, Benny Snell Jr.
WR: Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, Cooper Kupp, Michael Gallup, Christian Kirk
TE: George Kittle, Travis Kelce | K: Younghoe Koo | DST: SF
PS: Mecole Hardman, Tony Pollard | 2020 Picks: 1.09, 2.10, 3.03 | 2021 Picks: 1st, 2nd

yooperbacker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby yooperbacker » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:35 pm

Does this signing increase T. Smiths value?
16 Team 53 man roster ppr tack heavy idp (1qb, 1-3rbs, 2-5wrs, 1-3te)
Qb:P. Rivers, T. Taylor, C. Daniels
Rb:D. Johnson, G. Bernard, J. Mixon, A. Kamara
Wr:S. Watkins, K. Allen, D. Moncrief, A. Cooper, K. White, Doctson, C. Davis
Te: T. Eifert, Z. Ertz, A. Derby

breeze
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby breeze » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:38 pm

yooperbacker wrote:Does this signing increase T. Smiths value?
Assuming he stays? Yes. But Ravens might bring in a true WR1. Smith obviously isn't one.

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:39 pm

Breezy12 wrote:
italian_stallion21 wrote:

Why is this a bad hire for Taliaferro?

Trestman likes to pass. He isn't a ground and pound play caller. He also loves receiving backs. In his career as HC/OC.....his teams averaged as the 9th most pass attempts but 22nd most rush attempts.
I updated my post as you posted, but Taliaferro was noted for his pass catching ability, he just happens to also be huge.

yooperbacker
Role Player
Role Player

Postby yooperbacker » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:43 pm

So take the perceived value bump and sell? I'm in a rebuild anyway and planned on moving him, but wasn't sure if he was a hold with trestman in town.
16 Team 53 man roster ppr tack heavy idp (1qb, 1-3rbs, 2-5wrs, 1-3te)
Qb:P. Rivers, T. Taylor, C. Daniels
Rb:D. Johnson, G. Bernard, J. Mixon, A. Kamara
Wr:S. Watkins, K. Allen, D. Moncrief, A. Cooper, K. White, Doctson, C. Davis
Te: T. Eifert, Z. Ertz, A. Derby

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:45 pm

yooperbacker wrote:So take the perceived value bump and sell? I'm in a rebuild anyway and planned on moving him, but wasn't sure if he was a hold with trestman in town.
I don't think you were going to get much for him in the first place, so if you want to sell you're better off holding and seeing what happens. I own him in a lot of places, so my plan is to hold, and if he starts out nicely I'll look to move him then if my team can afford it.

breeze
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby breeze » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:54 pm

Be able to catch and being a weapon out of the backfield are different things. I don't see Taliaferro being a Trestman back. I don't think he has the burst. He takes a bit of time to get going. Someone like Yeldon or Charles Sims is a much better fit IMO. I could be wrong obviously

Kyle Shanahan would have been a plus for Zo. I think Trestman is an obvious negative

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:06 pm

Breezy12 wrote:Be able to catch and being a weapon out of the backfield are different things. I don't see Taliaferro being a Trestman back. I don't think he has the burst. He takes a bit of time to get going. Someone like Yeldon or Charles Sims is a much better fit IMO. I could be wrong obviously

Kyle Shanahan would have been a plus for Zo. I think Trestman is an obvious negative
These are my thoughts on the matter. He is a little slow, acceleration is an issue, not a Forte or McCoy type who will run actual WR routes for you sometimes. Taliaferro would be better suited to be running behind the line/fullback rather than catching a lot of screens or the sort of dink/dunk plays over the middle of the field that Trestman seems to desire.

As to his teams putting up good numbers, I agree with that. I just mean if I were a Ravens fan I would not like the hire, his ability to adjust to the game and control the clock is lacking IMO. The defense was bad, but I do put part of that on not being able to sustain drives.

As a side note, why does Cutler get a ton of blame, especially this year, when he was putting up career numbers all season long, while McCown, who was not very good, gets a ton of credit for beating bad defenses for a few games, and losing to some bad teams in the others last season? Meanwhile, Trestman is still being praised as an offensive genius. I think the QB and HC should share more of the credit and blame.