Patterson support group

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
balaberda
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Patterson support group

Postby balaberda » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:17 pm

Please no I told you so stuff. But I am super bummed about this guy. I bought him super cheap and avoided drafting guys like Beckham because I thought I was stacked at wr.

I was getting emails that had people asking for Julio or Patterson. He was in the same sentence. I don't know why I didn't sell. I got him cheap and I just believed the hype.

Just super bummed about it.

Is there anyone who still believes in this guy?

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Patterson support group

Postby Phaded » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:26 pm

If there are still Hunter believers - I don't see why Patterson believers won't exist.

The two are very similar in many aspects. Very high upside due to their athleticism, but also very raw and they need to put it together.

It's very possible he picks it up, but not until 2015 or 2016. It's also very possible he remains a flop.

I personally traded him away because I was tired of the headache.

PerennialChump
Rookie
Rookie

Postby PerennialChump » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:44 pm

Don't feel too badly. I picked up CJ Anderson early last season, and finally cut him this year. A week or 2 later....

You know the rest!

I'm sure we've all done things we regret - or DIDN'T do something and regretted it later. It sucks, but it's part of the fun and challenge of ff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:44 pm

To me the reasons people are low on him are nothing we didn't know about him coming into the season:

-He's raw overall as a receiver
-He doesn't know a ton of routes
-Can he consistently get open?
-He has quarterback issues (Cassel was the starter, now he has a rookie QB learning with him)
-New offensive coordinator
-New head coach

I just didn't understand the logic that Patterson was somehow going to blow up despite all of that. Don't get me wrong, I thought he would do a little better than what he has, but I still think he has the same elite potential and talent. He's a dynamite playmaker with the ball in his hands. The Vikings are going to have to do their part to get him consistently involved and Patterson is going to have to do his part to show them he can handle that. The good thing is that a lot of Patterson's problems can be fixed through development and good coaching. It just depends on if other owners are patient enough to hop in for the ride. Evidently, not many are, as they've hopped to the next shiny new toy.

balaberda
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby balaberda » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:46 pm

But if you look at the facts. The way he finished the season last year.

His long td catch in pre season and then his first game. It just seemed like he was about to go into god mode. Instead he went into David Wilson mode.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:54 pm

balaberda wrote:But if you look at the facts. The way he finished the season last year.

His long td catch in pre season and then his first game. It just seemed like he was about to go into god mode. Instead he went into David Wilson mode.
He had a strong finish to the season, but look at those games:

Week 12: 8/54
Week 13: 1/4, 2/27/TD (rushing)
Week 14: 5/141/TD
Week 15: 5/35/TD
Week 16: 3/8, 3/54/TD (rushing)
Week 17: 2/31/TD, 2/54/TD (rushing)

If we're looking strictly at his receiving lines, he had one really big game and one solid one. The rest were pedestrian games, bailed out by a touchdown or a rushing score. I typically don't expect rushing scores for WR's to translate year-to-year, so really Patterson didn't change much in the air.

I think putting him in the throne during the offseason was always premature, but I don't think his career is written in stone just yet. He has to continue learning.

flashgordon12
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby flashgordon12 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:56 pm

balaberda wrote:But if you look at the facts. The way he finished the season last year.

Woah why did you have to go there. Bad memories
Flash in the Pan: 12 team PPR (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1DEF) 25 man rosters

QB- Andrew Luck, Josh Allen
RB- MGIII, Mixon, Cohen, Devonta Freeman
WR- AB, Odell Beckham Jr., Josh Gordon, Tyler Boyd, Marqise Lee, Sutton, MVS
TE- Gronk, Higbee
DEF- Denver

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:59 pm

flashgordon12 wrote:

You're telling me.

Worst trade I've ever made was to acquire David Wilson.

flashgordon12
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby flashgordon12 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:15 pm

Patterson is still in the NFL, be thankful for that. I had Wilson in both of my leagues. I cried during his press conference
Flash in the Pan: 12 team PPR (1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1DEF) 25 man rosters

QB- Andrew Luck, Josh Allen
RB- MGIII, Mixon, Cohen, Devonta Freeman
WR- AB, Odell Beckham Jr., Josh Gordon, Tyler Boyd, Marqise Lee, Sutton, MVS
TE- Gronk, Higbee
DEF- Denver

steeltown75
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby steeltown75 » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:32 pm

PhadedCN wrote:
flashgordon12 wrote:

You're telling me.

Worst trade I've ever made was to acquire David Wilson.
I drafted David Wilson, TRich and Marcus Lattimore in a startup draft. Needless to say I finished almost dead last in that league. Thankfully I'm strong in other positions so it won't take me long to rebuild.

As for Patterson, I had him in one league and I ended up trading him. I also told a guy in my league back in the off-season that he should trade Patterson because the hype has him as a borderline top 10 guy and I don't see his production ever getting close to that. He may pan out, but he's not a top 10 guy. He has serious trouble catching the ball down the field, that's a tough issue to correct.

RavingLunatic
Starter
Starter

Postby RavingLunatic » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:37 pm

I believe the AP situation messed things up for him. No one was scared of Asiata or McKinnon (and I like McKinnon) so all the little gadget stuff and involvement they thought they'd do with CP to change things up just kind of went out the window. He still underperformed even given that reasoning, so I dont know how I feel about him going forward which sucks cuz I have in a few leagues.

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby bigchiefbc » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:43 pm

I traded CPatt for Floyd earlier this year, and then flipped Floyd for Forsett for a playoff push. I'm just glad to be well rid of both of them at this point.

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:54 pm

I don't know why this was so hard to see coming.

Nearly all of his fantasy numbers came from huge run plays.

How are huge run plays sustainable for a WR?

On top of that, what a terrible QB situation. That might not ever get fixed.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:11 pm

I think the biggest red flag for me is Charles Johnson. Coming into the season, would anyone have said that Johnson had an advantage over CPatt in anything? I mean literally anything... Johnson's strengths were that he was a solid athlete, but CPatt was much better. CPatt was raw, but Johnson was more raw. CPatt is still learning the playbook. Johnson had never even seen the playbook. And yet... Johnson passed him on the depth chart, is catching passes at a higher rate. He's producing a higher yards per reception. He's matched his TD production and is catching his yardage totals in fraction of the play time. I don't know how you can maintain a high level of expectation for CPatt at this point.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Jimmy Jones
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Jimmy Jones » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:36 pm

RavingLunatic wrote:I believe the AP situation messed things up for him. No one was scared of Asiata or McKinnon (and I like McKinnon) so all the little gadget stuff and involvement they thought they'd do with CP to change things up just kind of went out the window. He still underperformed even given that reasoning, so I dont know how I feel about him going forward which sucks cuz I have in a few leagues.
This. AP drew all the attention. And also Cassel, the guy who threw him that nice preseason TD bomb, left and this gimpy Teddy Bridgewater guy came in.

Take a look at Pattersons production. Week 1 with AP and Cassel - 100 total yards and a TD. Weeks 2 and 3 with Cassel - WR 2/3 numbers. Then he falls off the face of the Earth.
The Green Bay Packers
10 Team Superflex, Pass Heavy Scoring
1QB, 1QB/RB/WR/TE, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Def, 1K
Passing: 2pt/20yds 5pt/TD; Rushing/Receiving: 2pt/10yds; 1PPR

QB's: ARod, Rivers, Sanchez, Manziel, Mallett, Mettenberger
RB's: Charles, Lacy, Ellington, Oliver, Davis, Starks, CMike
WR's: Julio, Maclin, Sanders, Watkins, Crabtree, Patterson, Quick
TE's: Graham, Kelce, ASJ