Zach Mettenberger to start..

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Zach Mettenberger to start..

Postby Phaded » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:48 pm

As mentioned briefly in the Justin Hunter thread and now confirmed..

Zach Mettenberger name popping up again and it seems he WILL in fact be starting..

So, what does this means for the Titans offense?

I'm sure many of you Hunter owners are curious to see what Mettenberger's cannon arm does..

Monkey
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Zach Mettenberger to start..

Postby Monkey » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:15 pm

I'm very interested to see what he does. I'm in a league where QBs are very valuable.. curious if I should pick him up, but not sure he's worth dropping Austin Davis, Bridgewater, or McKinnon over before he proves anything.. might make a trade offer in another league..

balaberda
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby balaberda » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:26 pm

Scooped him in my 2 dynasty leagues 2 hours ago. Houston has a good defense. You think they are going to stick with him?

Can he be a long term starter?

adammc44
Starter
Starter

Postby adammc44 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:56 pm

sweet I hadn't seen this, took a chance on him in our fa draft, he's taxied, would love if he could take over the job and give me some peace of mind at backup qb.
The Man with the Golden Gloves (14 teams, 6 pt all tds, no ppr, 18+3 rookie taxi squad spots (up to 2 years))
start: 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te no flex, d, k
QB: Cousins, Darnold
RB: David Johnson, A Jones, D Freeman, Gio, Hyde, Malcom Brown
WR: Adam Thielen, C Godwin, T Williams, J Landry, A Miller
TE: Waller, Herndon
Taxi: P Williams, Jonnu Smith, Gesicki
IR: Crowell

Matticus
Captain
Captain

Postby Matticus » Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:24 pm

Played in a Cam Cameron pro-style offense at LSU and I saw a ton of improvement his final year in college (I also saw him play his JUCO ball since I live 5 minutes from the stadium).

Strengths: ARM STRENGTH, toughness (will get killed to make a throw), eyes stay down field under duress, played in a pro-style offense

Weaknesses: Absolute statue in the pocket, 0 mobility, can have Cutler-like gunner games where the INTs pile up.

Guy has guts in the pocket and plays hurt. I'm a fan, but in reality I have no idea whether he is Ryan Mallet 2.0, Good Eli, or something in between. He has more potential than a guy like Austin Davis. He has some nice young weapons to grow with and a solid OL. That's more than most other rookie QBs can say.

Jimmy Jones
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Jimmy Jones » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:01 pm

I picked him up in my 2QB league around week 3 after Locker got hurt. If he can start for me week 9 with Rodgers and Orton on bye I'll be thrilled!
The Green Bay Packers
10 Team Superflex, Pass Heavy Scoring
1QB, 1QB/RB/WR/TE, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Def, 1K
Passing: 2pt/20yds 5pt/TD; Rushing/Receiving: 2pt/10yds; 1PPR

QB's: ARod, Rivers, Sanchez, Manziel, Mallett, Mettenberger
RB's: Charles, Lacy, Ellington, Oliver, Davis, Starks, CMike
WR's: Julio, Maclin, Sanders, Watkins, Crabtree, Patterson, Quick
TE's: Graham, Kelce, ASJ

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:05 pm

I immediately added him following the report. Why not, if you have the room. Could be decent.

His immobility doesn't really bother me. That's what pre-snap reads and pocket-feel are for.

I'm much more concerned that I seemed to see a tendency to stare down receivers in preseason, although he didn't pay too much for it at the time.
Last edited by ninotoreS on Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

BlackOmega
All Pro
All Pro

Postby BlackOmega » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:07 pm

Jimmy Jones wrote:I picked him up in my 2QB league around week 3 after Locker got hurt. If he can start for me week 9 with Rodgers and Orton on bye I'll be thrilled!
Good luck with that since he's on bye in week 9 also!

Jimmy Jones
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Jimmy Jones » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:18 pm

BlackOmega wrote:
Jimmy Jones wrote:I picked him up in my 2QB league around week 3 after Locker got hurt. If he can start for me week 9 with Rodgers and Orton on bye I'll be thrilled!
Bahahaha! Well bleep me! Rodgers, Orton, Lacy, Julio, Watkins, Woods, Bills D, Bryant.. Guess I'm going with Oliver in my Superflex..here's to hoping Mathews and Beown are out another week!
The Green Bay Packers

Matticus
Captain
Captain

Postby Matticus » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:19 pm

BlackOmega wrote:
Hahahaha :wall: :boohoo: Funny stuff.

flexcapacitor
Captain
Captain

Postby flexcapacitor » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:34 pm

balaberda wrote:Scooped him in my 2 dynasty leagues 2 hours ago. Houston has a good defense. You think they are going to stick with him?

Can he be a long term starter?
It doesn't look like Locker is going to be the answer for the Titans. They might as well see what the rookies can bring to the table because they have to figure out their QB situation for the future. I just picked him up so this news is really good timing.

evorzan
All Pro
All Pro

Postby evorzan » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:21 am

My thoughts have been that Locker isn't the answer so Mettenberger will get a shot this season, but the team will still struggle and the Titans may be looking at another QB again next year - whether it is early in the draft or later remains to be seen based on how Mettenberger plays. I don't know enough about him to predict his production, but from what I've read he probably won't be the long term answer as most teams like a little stability at QB and as someone mentioned above, Mettenberger can have Cutler-like INT games.
Follow me @evorzan on Twitter
Formerly posting as Steveeb

ajb3313
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ajb3313 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:43 am

For the Titans, there's basically no reason not to start him the rest of the year. If they don't "know what they have" in Locker by now -- three and a half years in -- they probably never will. And what he seems like is a serviceable quarterback with monumental difficulties staying healthy. If you can't trust your quarterback to stay healthy, much less play well consistently, then he's probably not your quarterback.

And obviously the team is awful anyway. They're probably even worse than their 2-5 record shows. They may as well give the rookie a shot. The season is lost either way so there's not much downside.
(12 Teams, Non-PPR, 15 Keeper Dynasty)
QB: Ryan Tannehill
RB: Eddie Lacy, Jeremy Hill, Charles Sims, Dion Lewis, Ameer Abdullah, Dwayne Washington
WR: Brandin Cooks, Keenan Allen, Donte Moncrief, DeVante Parker, Josh Gordon, Corey Coleman, Quincy Enunwa, Laquon Treadwell, Dorial Green-Beckham
TE: Travis Kelce

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:29 am

So it is sounding like he will be the starter for the rest of the season. Essentially, they want to see what Mettenberger has got to determine if they need to use a first round pick on a Quarterback next year or not from what I read.

With that said - if (and very likely) he performs poorly against the Texans, do not abandon ship quite yet. As an immobile QB, having to go up against JJ Watt, (maybe) Clowney & that Texans D can be quite the task as his first NFL game. Should he actually look good against THAT pass rush, it is definitely something to monitor going forward.

Jimmy Jones
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Jimmy Jones » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:52 am

He was a 6th round pick. That's all you need to know. Yea yea Tom Brady, ACL, diluted urine sample, blah blah. It takes more than just a strong arm to succeed in the NFL. I hope he does well, which is why I picked him up for my team, but I'm expecting more of a Case Keenum situation from last year. The Titans don't have next years starting QB on thier roster. Whether they draft him in the first round next year, or sign a stop gap and delay it till 2016 remains to be known. For all we know, they might be pulling a 2011 Colts here and using him to tank into Mariota. Clipboard Jesus isn't that good, but he's got enough veteran experience to win them a few more games here and there.
The Green Bay Packers