Zach Mettenberger to start..

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Zach Mettenberger to start..

Postby rubber_duck » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:27 am

4tdsIn1game4PolkHigh wrote:So nobody likes Mettenberger long term in Tennessee? Coming into this season I had him just behind the guys like Bridgewater and Bortles. I'm not saying he is their guy of the future, but Whiz has done well with qb's. I guess if i was taking a flier on someone I would rather have him or Logan Thomas over guys like Savage or Manziel.
I'm not so sure Whizenhunt has done anything good with QBs. His tenure in Arizona was a complete train wreck after Warner retired. Whiz tried and failed in multiple attempts to bring the Cardinal's passing game around. He cycled through QBs at least as fast as the Raiders do, and failed to develop any of them. If Mettenberger becomes a respectable NFL QB it may not be because of Whiz's influence. He may have played a role in the revival of Rivers. If that is the case, then it seems Whiz can do okay when working with elite talent: Warner and Rivers. But is clueless when dealing with anything less.

Unfortunately for the Titans' offense, all of the relevant offensive coaches are guys that Whiz has worked with before. Perhaps most importantly, the Titans' current QB coach is John McNulty, the same QB coach that brought along guys like: John Skelton and Ryan Lindley.

Agreeing with earlier posters: if Mettenberger has a good game, then sell immediately. You bought low, so sell high. Even if he works out, you still made a profit.

stapel0
Starter
Starter

Postby stapel0 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:01 am

rubber_duck wrote:
4tdsIn1game4PolkHigh wrote:So nobody likes Mettenberger long term in Tennessee? Coming into this season I had him just behind the guys like Bridgewater and Bortles. I'm not saying he is their guy of the future, but Whiz has done well with qb's. I guess if i was taking a flier on someone I would rather have him or Logan Thomas over guys like Savage or Manziel.
I'm not so sure Whizenhunt has done anything good with QBs. His tenure in Arizona was a complete train wreck after Warner retired. Whiz tried and failed in multiple attempts to bring the Cardinal's passing game around. He cycled through QBs at least as fast as the Raiders do, and failed to develop any of them. If Mettenberger becomes a respectable NFL QB it may not be because of Whiz's influence. He may have played a role in the revival of Rivers. If that is the case, then it seems Whiz can do okay when working with elite talent: Warner and Rivers. But is clueless when dealing with anything less.

Unfortunately for the Titans' offense, all of the relevant offensive coaches are guys that Whiz has worked with before. Perhaps most importantly, the Titans' current QB coach is John McNulty, the same QB coach that brought along guys like: John Skelton and Ryan Lindley.

Agreeing with earlier posters: if Mettenberger has a good game, then sell immediately. You bought low, so sell high. Even if he works out, you still made a profit.

This whole thing stinks of Cardinals 2.0 swapping Lindley and Skelton and Kolb indecisively.

They say they want to evaluate Mettenberger this whole season, I'll take the under on games played.

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:50 pm

Seemed pretty darn good in his debut to me. Better than I expected, honestly.

Looked like he had some rhythm/timing issues with his receivers, but considering he's a rookie making a mid-season debut on only one week's preparation with the 1st-team, an issue like that is pretty understandable. Even to be expected.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

Jimmy Jones
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby Jimmy Jones » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:57 pm

ninotoreS wrote:Seemed pretty darn good in his debut to me. Better than I expected, honestly.

Looked like he had some rhythm/timing issues with his receivers, but considering he's a rookie making a mid-season debut on only one week's preparation with the 1st-team, an issue like that is pretty understandable. Even to be expected.
I was following on fantasy cast and it seemed like he didn't do anything until garbage time. The game got out if hand pretty quick which I'm guessing, led to some drastically inflated stats. Anyone see the game that can give us a better idea of how he did?
The Green Bay Packers
10 Team Superflex, Pass Heavy Scoring
1QB, 1QB/RB/WR/TE, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1Def, 1K
Passing: 2pt/20yds 5pt/TD; Rushing/Receiving: 2pt/10yds; 1PPR

QB's: ARod, Rivers, Sanchez, Manziel, Mallett, Mettenberger
RB's: Charles, Lacy, Ellington, Oliver, Davis, Starks, CMike
WR's: Julio, Maclin, Sanders, Watkins, Crabtree, Patterson, Quick
TE's: Graham, Kelce, ASJ

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:19 am

For sure he did most of his statline damage after the Texans already had a big lead, but that's not really the point I'm making. Mettenberger certainly isn't why they lost the game, and that in and of itself was a 'win' for a rookie making an unexpected mid-season debut. He threw the one pick and lost a sack-fumble, but only took one other sack aside from that one. And although he wasn't connecting with his receivers in the first half, immediately starting in the 3rd he began completing well north of 65% of his passes for a pretty respectable YPA.

You can choose to write off his relative success in fully half of the game as 'garbage time' (Texans still had their first-team defense on the field, so I don't know that that's really valid), but one could as easily suggest that his success starting then was just as much a result of the rookie simply needing some time to find his rhythm with the first-team offense he had had only a week to prepare with. Besides... the Titans offense also didn't actually see much of the ball in the first half. Tennessee's defense couldn't do anything to stop Houston's rushing attack (that's the real reason they lost), and that resulted in Houston dominating ToP.

We'll probably get a more consistent impression of Mettenberger after the bye, but for now, as I said, this really wasn't a bad mid-season debut for him. It could have easily been much, much worse, considering the circumstances.
rubber_duck wrote:He may have played a role in the revival of Rivers. If that is the case, then it seems Whiz can do okay when working with elite talent: Warner and Rivers. But is clueless when dealing with anything less.
You're forgetting Roethlisberger, dude. Developed him from a rookie-year starter drafted from a tiny mid-major college program, into a QB good enough to help his team win a Super Bowl in only his second season. Don't know that I'd quite qualify that as 'clueless'.

I'm not some huge fan of Whiz, but his QB-related resume is much more of a plus than a negative. I don't know that I can really blame him for the QB carousel in Arizona, post Warner. After Leinart proved to be a bust, the Cardinals were pretty much left standing with their pants around their ankles. Skelton/Lindley weren't drafted to be starters, and Kolb was a fashionably desperate move in free-agency. Even Bruce Arians has his Tim Couch mulligan.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:14 am

Didn't forget the time he spent with Big Ben, just didn't want to get into that murky water. Yes they did win a championship with Whiz/Ben. But it was more based on defense and run game than on what Roethlisberger did. To his credit, Ben didn't lose it for them. The stat line for Roethlisberger while playing with Whiz:

2004 (rookie)
66.4% comp% 2621 yds/pass 18 TDs 13 turnovers

62.9% comp% 2385 yds/pass 20 TDs 10 turnovers

59.8% comp% 3528 yds/pass 20 TDs 25 turnovers

Not exactly a screaming success, not exactly a total failure. Again, didn't really want to get into this part of his coaching career since it opens a can of worms.

breeze
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby breeze » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:41 am

FWIW He attempted only 13 passes in the first half. Once he started getting opportunities to make plays I think he played pretty well. He wasn't amazing or mistake free but what rookie is in their first start. Overall, I think this week was more of success than it was failure for him. Baby steps.
Twitter: @BreezeIDP

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:45 am

Breezy12 wrote:FWIW He attempted only 13 passes in the first half. Once he started getting opportunities to make plays I think he played pretty well. He wasn't amazing or mistake free but what rookie is in their first start. Overall, I think this week was more of success than it was failure for him. Baby steps.
Especially facing that Texans pass rush.

And it's not like the running game was doing him any favors.

GregOfTheDead
Role Player
Role Player

Postby GregOfTheDead » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:45 pm

Before his start yesterday, I traded Mettenberger for Tavon Austin. Eh, why not?