Denard Robinson

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Denard Robinson

Postby TommyL31 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:54 am

While Denard Robinson's performance yesterday was impressive I really don't think it's sustainable because that offensive line still isn't good. I didn't watch much of this week's game but I've watched them quite a bit this year (and last) and they're terrible. I don't think they magically got good overnight. This is just a flash in the pan like Todman's 100 yard game last year.

Is he the best RB on the roster? Maybe, still not confident enough to say for sure and maybe he could produce on another team but I don't think he's talented enough compared to other RBs in the league to warrant a starting job somewhere else. I still believe the RB of the future for the Jags isn't on the roster and likely won't be until they fix the O-Line.
"whiners kill more leagues than incompetent trades" - clarion contrarion

DFFL - Flea Flickers, 12 team PPR dynasty
Legends of the Gridiron - Boss Hawgs, 12 team PPR Superflex Salary Cap league
USFL - Memphis Showboats, 12 team PPR Superflex Tiered Salary Cap League

hailtoyourvictor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby hailtoyourvictor » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:48 am

TommyL31 wrote:While Denard Robinson's performance yesterday was impressive I really don't think it's sustainable because that offensive line still isn't good. I didn't watch much of this week's game but I've watched them quite a bit this year (and last) and they're terrible. I don't think they magically got good overnight. This is just a flash in the pan like Todman's 100 yard game last year.

Is he the best RB on the roster? Maybe, still not confident enough to say for sure and maybe he could produce on another team but I don't think he's talented enough compared to other RBs in the league to warrant a starting job somewhere else. I still believe the RB of the future for the Jags isn't on the roster and likely won't be until they fix the O-Line.
The Jags line didn't magically get good, but they are un-magically getting more experince. When you start that much youth on the O-Line, especially when you have different combinations throughout the first handful of weeks, it is going to take time to gel. Also, Bortles in over Henne can only help (even if it's just slightly this year) open the run game.

Not saying the O-Line is or will be good, just stating that the growth is showing on the field and on the statsheet.

bigchiefbc
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby bigchiefbc » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:20 am

I didn't watch the whole game, but the NFL Now highlights for this game had at least 6 or 7 of Robinson's runs, and in all of them, he seemed to really have a knack for seeing how the blocking was developing and getting to whatever hole opened up. I have him sitting at the end of my bench, but I'm not gonna go crazy about him here. I'll definitely try to watch him a little more closely in the next couple games, but won't be starting him yet obviously.

TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TommyL31 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:58 am

One thing I will say (although I'm guessing we all know this) is that you should try to get Denard if he's still available because whether or not he's the future he has the potential to be a useful trading chip. Even if he has one more game and you can flip him for a 3rd you got something for nothing and those are pieces you can use as sweeteners in later deals.
"whiners kill more leagues than incompetent trades" - clarion contrarion

DFFL - Flea Flickers, 12 team PPR dynasty
Legends of the Gridiron - Boss Hawgs, 12 team PPR Superflex Salary Cap league
USFL - Memphis Showboats, 12 team PPR Superflex Tiered Salary Cap League

Kierke
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Kierke » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:02 pm

No one would have him as high as McKinnon, but there are a few similarities: both are explosive athletes and former college qb.

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:18 pm

hailtoyourvictor wrote:
ninotoreS wrote: The only point I was making really is that Denard Robinson is never going to amount to anything, so if you want to throw the dice with anything in the Jags backfield, buy Storm Johnson for practically nothing or just don't even bother. Some people are kidding themselves about Denard. He just isn't any good, and there are no stats, deep metrics, or NFL tape that argue otherwise. At least Storm Johnson is a real running-back equipped to deal with real volume and move the offense between the tackles. He's totally irrelevant for 2014, but he'll get a shot in 2015's training-camp to make a case for himself.
Quoted for huge miss. Denard has two elite traits that he has shown in college and the NFL: Speed and vision. Those are two traits that can make someone very effective in a zone-blocking scheme. I don't think Denard will ever be a RB1, but I'd rather have him on my roster than Storm Johnson.
Agreed. Robinson is gifted with speed and vision. The guy ran varsity track he has wheels. Here's two different Sports Science features ESPN did on Robinson.

http://youtu.be/l5LvLPoNWYU

http://youtu.be/wqK2Gm7AMCk
Last edited by MARKinMI on Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snitchinsider
Role Player
Role Player

Postby snitchinsider » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:51 am

If you have Robinson, you need to be selling immediately. I've been a Jags fan my entire life. I've seen Denard Robinson since day one in Jax until now, and there's no reason to think he is our future at the RB position. At best, he's the best of a bad crop of RBs on the roster with a strong group of RBs just around the corner in next year's draft. I'd rather have Storm over him still, at least on the low percentage chance the Jags don't invest in a RB in next year's draft that is capable of flying up the depth chart.

Obviously I could be wrong about Robinson (I would love to be wrong, obviously), but I've seen nothing -- even from his performance Sunday-- to make me believe he's the answer at the position. Based on volume he might be worth a look as a spot starter since it sounds like the Jags might be interested in giving him a full workload to get some consistency on the ground, but that's about it. I would not invest long-term in him.

Robinson is not really all-that explosive in the game.
He's not really all-that fast in the game.
He's got decent vision and is smart enough to try and set up defenders with short step/head fakes.

If he has a future in Jacksonville, it's as a change of pace back. And not the type that will rack up points. I'd like to be wrong here, and as soon as I see something that convinces me otherwise I'll gladly say so, but I don't feel like Robinson showed anything particularly worth getting up and arms about last week. Browns were also without their top interior defender.
Last edited by snitchinsider on Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hopkins elitist.
Abdullah apologist.
Ajayi truther.
Bortles drum banger.

HawkeyeState
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby HawkeyeState » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:18 am

HawkeyeState wrote:
zfifelski wrote:I think there's a chance. However, with Bortles throwing, the team could become much more of a passing threat and make it easier for the RBs--whether Gerhart or Denard--to find success.
I was just writing a post thinking this, then decided to start looking for a current thread first.
I feel like, if everyone is so bullish on Bortles and the pass catchers, why is nobody talking about an improvement in the running game as well? Sure, JAX will be behind in almost every game they play, but they are still going to run the ball!
I would think Gerhart/Denard might be buy targets if your looking for RB2/3 type players.
Anyone else think so?
Looks like I was spot on about Robinson being a nice buy target for RB2/3
Team 1
10 TM .5 PPR, 6 pt all TDs 1/2/3/1/2Flex
Newton, Rivers
LF, Chubb, Michel, Kerryon, Hyde, AJones, Royce F, Crowell
Adams, Cooper, Alshon, Watkins, ARob, Fuller, Doctson, Funchess, Gallup, Pettis, Valdez-Scant
Gronk, HHenry, Engram
1.09, 2.09, 3.09, 4.09, 5.09

Team 2
10 TM 1/2/3/1/1Flex 6pt all TDs .25 PPR RB, .5 PPR WR, 1 PPR TE
Wilson, Big Ben
Bell, JConner, MMack, Shady, CThompson, D'Onta Foreman, C Edmonds, B Scarborough
Julio, Nuk, Fuller, Cooks, ARob, Watkins, Cooper, SShepard, CDavis, DJ Chark
Kelce, Olsen, Andrews

Team 3
10 team, 0.5 PPR RBs WRs, 1 PPR TEs, Devy Superflex League
Carr, Goff, Falk
Barkley, Dalvin, Mixon, Michel, Ballage, MDavis, Dixon, Akers*
Hopkins, JuJu, Watkins, Fuller, Agholor, Moncrief, EQSB, Valdez-Scant, CRogers
Eifert, Ebron, JJames, JCook
1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 3.04

Played against David Johnson in HS, he was a stud back then too

ninotoreS
Legend
Legend

Postby ninotoreS » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:11 pm

It was possible to take his success vs the Browns with a grain of salt (I watched that tape carefully last week, the Jags o-line was just manhandling the Browns d-line), but this week was a much tougher match-up, and although he wasn't as efficient per touch (did most of his damage on just a couple of carries), it counts. Results are results.

Robinson hadn't shown anything to me on NFL tape as of the Saturday before last, but it's two weeks later, and now there's two weeks of good tape. Gotta give him credit. Although run-blocking improvement has been part of it, I've clearly seen Robinson demonstrating plus vision and decisiveness at the light of scrimmage for seemingly the first time since he entered the league. The light-bulb has come on, I guess.

I still hesitate to anoint him the legit future at the position for the Jags, but at least so far as the rest of this season goes, things are looking good for Robinson. The run-blocking these last two weeks seems to have turned the corner, and overall he has a pretty favorable schedule for the rest of the year.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure."
- Sun Tzu, 469 BCE

HawkeyeState
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby HawkeyeState » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:03 am

I don't think you can count on Robinson as being a RB2 staple on your roster, but if your contending and hurting at RB because of injuries or flops, robinson is a perfect hold and even a trade target. If rebuilding, Robinson is a big time sell
Team 1
10 TM .5 PPR, 6 pt all TDs 1/2/3/1/2Flex
Newton, Rivers
LF, Chubb, Michel, Kerryon, Hyde, AJones, Royce F, Crowell
Adams, Cooper, Alshon, Watkins, ARob, Fuller, Doctson, Funchess, Gallup, Pettis, Valdez-Scant
Gronk, HHenry, Engram

Team 2
10 TM 1/2/3/1/1Flex 6pt all TDs .25 PPR RB, .5 PPR WR, 1 PPR TE
Wilson, Big Ben
Bell, JConner, MMack, Shady, CThompson, D'Onta Foreman, C Edmonds, B Scarborough
Julio, Nuk, Fuller, Cooks, ARob, Watkins, Cooper, SShepard, CDavis, DJ Chark
Kelce, Olsen, Andrews

Team 3
10 team, 0.5 PPR RBs WRs, 1 PPR TEs, Devy Superflex League
Carr, Goff, Falk
Barkley, Dalvin, Mixon, Michel, Ballage, MDavis, Dixon, Akers*
Hopkins, JuJu, Watkins, Fuller, Agholor, Moncrief, EQSB, Valdez-Scant, CRogers
Eifert, Ebron, JJames, JCook
1.02, 2.02, 2.06, 3.04

Played against David Johnson in HS, he was a stud back then too

jeffster
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby jeffster » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:07 am

snitchinsider wrote:If you have Robinson, you need to be selling immediately. I've been a Jags fan my entire life. I've seen Denard Robinson since day one in Jax until now, and there's no reason to think he is our future at the RB position. At best, he's the best of a bad crop of RBs on the roster with a strong group of RBs just around the corner in next year's draft. I'd rather have Storm over him still, at least on the low percentage chance the Jags don't invest in a RB in next year's draft that is capable of flying up the depth chart.

Obviously I could be wrong about Robinson (I would love to be wrong, obviously), but I've seen nothing -- even from his performance Sunday-- to make me believe he's the answer at the position. Based on volume he might be worth a look as a spot starter since it sounds like the Jags might be interested in giving him a full workload to get some consistency on the ground, but that's about it. I would not invest long-term in him.

He's got decent vision and is smart enough to try and set up defenders with short step/head fakes.

If he has a future in Jacksonville, it's as a change of pace back. And not the type that will rack up points. I'd like to be wrong here, and as soon as I see something that convinces me otherwise I'll gladly say so, but I don't feel like Robinson showed anything particularly worth getting up and arms about last week. Browns were also without their top interior defender.
As a Michigan State grad, I endorse your denouncement of the former UofM QB whole-heartedly based entirely on my preconceived bias.

hailtoyourvictor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby hailtoyourvictor » Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:39 pm

snitchinsider wrote:If you have Robinson, you need to be selling immediately. I've been a Jags fan my entire life. I've seen Denard Robinson since day one in Jax until now, and there's no reason to think he is our future at the RB position. At best, he's the best of a bad crop of RBs on the roster with a strong group of RBs just around the corner in next year's draft. I'd rather have Storm over him still, at least on the low percentage chance the Jags don't invest in a RB in next year's draft that is capable of flying up the depth chart.

Lol..... Storm Johnson > Denard? I'm a Jags fan too and this is just stupid.

Plank
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Plank » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:20 pm

Are you buying Robinson hailtoyourvictor?
@PlankMelody

hailtoyourvictor
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby hailtoyourvictor » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:25 pm

I'm in 2 dynasty leagues. I drafted him in one league and don't own him in my takeover team this year. I wouldn't buy him at his price right now because his owners are most likely loving this ride. I think there will be a lot of talk about the Jaguars bringing in a new RB during the offseason, so that's when I'd look to buy. I doubt the Jaguars draft a RB high (contrary to popular belief). Denard is serviceable and there are plenty of other holes needed to be filled.

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:28 pm

Ugh, to think that I watched this guy sit on the WW all summer long in dynasty leagues that were as deep as 12x28. People had no interest in Denard, and it ended up being the owners that were in rebuild mode that decided to stash him. Looks like it's paying off in spades right now. I'd like to own him, but I don't think I'd move the 1st or 1st+ that his owners would want for him.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U