Jordan Cameron

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
themburns
Starter
Starter

Re: Jordan Cameron

Postby themburns » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:35 pm

DLFiend wrote:
themburns wrote: Cameron is a player that has a physical skillset basically identical to Mike Evans, so I think he might find some comfort in that. As far as scheme goes, Washington sure fed Jordan Reed last year with Kyle Shanahan at OC, so I don't have any worries about a reduced role, especially with the ahem, talent Cleveland has at WR. I'd only rather have Graham or Gronk at the postion.

This is a perilous line of logic. Cameron and Evans are nothing alike aside from their height and weight and play different positions. How often do you recall Manziel throwing to his TE and T A&M? It was rare. He won't find much comfort in throwing to a bracketed TE unless he really likes interceptions. Cameron doesn't really know how to play TE yet either and depended on Norv getting him into space. He's gone. The fact that Cleveland has no other receiving option should scare you.

I'd rather have probably 8 TEs before Cameron. Graham, Gronk, Julius, Pitta, Rudolph, Green, Ertz, Ebron, Eifert. I could probably come up with a couple more to put in the Cameron tier.
Okay, I'll call your bluff. Here are the combine numbers in events both players tested in. Using mockdraftable.com:

Mike Evans:
Height: 6' 4¾"
Weight: 231
Arm Length: 35⅛"
Hand Size: 9⅝"
40 Yard Dash: 4.53
Bench Press: 12
Vertical Jump: 37"
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.26

Jordan Cameron:
Height: 6' 5"
Weight: 254
Arm Length: 33½"
Hand Size: 9¾"
Bench Press: 23
Vertical Jump: 37½"
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.03

Please continue taking Eric "stone hands" Ebron over a player with NFL production, it's no skin off my nose.

themburns
Starter
Starter

Postby themburns » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:47 pm

Also Fiend, love the cognitive dissonance in thinking that Cameron both doesn't know how to play the position as well as thinking he will face bracketed coverage all year. So he'll be so ineffective without Norv that he'll be the focal point of the defensive coverage? Sounds like a good problem to have.

pjh0736
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby pjh0736 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:24 pm

If defenses so single him out others like Hawkins, should get open, and as long as the ball gets to tem and they cath it they should succeed
TM1 12tmPPR 1QB, 2RB ,3WR, 1TE, 1FLEX, 1DEF
QB Daniel Jones, Dak Prescott, Jameis Winston

RB Saquon Barkley, James Conner, Joe Mixon, Chris Carson, Javonte Williams, Latavius Murray, DeeJay Dallas, Gerrid Doaks, Benny Snell

WR Davante Adams, Julio Jones, Tyler Boyd, Chris Godwin, Anthony Miller, Nelson Agholor, Robby Anderson, Zach Pascal, Rondale Moore, Jaelon Darden,

TE: Dallas Goedert, Austin Hooper, Dawson Knox

D 49ers,Ravens

Taxi Squad
Parris Campbell, Cornell Powell

Picks: 22 2nd, 22 3rd, 22 4th

Seventy5
Legend
Legend

Postby Seventy5 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:46 pm

I'm not as high on him as some in here are, but nowhere near as low as Fiend is.

I'd definitely take Graham, Gronk and Julius over him, but I'd have Cameron in his own tier after those three and before VD/Reed/Green etc.

*two players having similar combine numbers and measurements doesn't mean the two players PLAY anything alike. That would be like saying Charles Johnson plays like Josh Gordon.
DLF HOF League | 16 Team 1PPR 1QB-2WR-2RB-1TE-2FL:
QB: Deshaun Watson | Stafford | Purdy | Hooker
RB: Saquon Barkley |DeVon Achane | Deuce
RB: Alvin Kamara | Joe Mixon / Chase Brown | Tucker
WR: Tyreek Hill | Rashee Rice | Tank Dell
WR: Stefon Diggs | DeVonta Smith | MWilliams | Claypool | C Austin
TE: Higbee | Likely | Chig Okonkwo | Strange
2023: 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3

DLF Premium League | 16 Team 1PPR 1QB-2WR-2RB-1TE-2FL:
QB: Joe Burrow | Mayfield | Hooker
RB: Saquon Barkley | Tank Bigsby | Deuce
RB: Alvin Kamara | Aaron Jones | JK Dobbins | Sean Tucker
WR: Ja'Marr Chase | Christian Watson | Hyatt | Shenault
WR: Keenan Allen | Marquise Brown | Calvin Ridley | Addison | Claypool | C Jones | Shakir
TE: Sam LaPorta | Strange | Jonnu
2023: 1, 2, 2, 2, 2, 2

themburns
Starter
Starter

Postby themburns » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:28 pm

They don't have to play alike, freak measurables can't be taught. Once a player like that produces, you have to sit up and take notice. The truth of the matter is at tight end, no one is looking for baseline TE stats, similar production can be had by grabbing in the late round of your startup or waivers. Elite tight ends are both scarce and powerful, and more often than not, elite players have freakish traits that make them superior. Outside of them both catching passes from Johnny Manziel, that's why I was comparing the two. They have freakish traits that could make them perennial top plays at their respective positions. The one I'm talking about just happens to have an 80 catch, 900 yd, 7 td season already under his belt. But I own and like both players. And Charles Johnson.

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:36 pm

Seventy5 wrote: Wow. I never realized how...slightly below average he was weeks 5-17 last year. Only two games above 12 points :shock:.

Tim Wright, Delanie Walker, Martellus Bennett all scored more than him and Gates, Heath Miller, Coby Fleener, and Garrett Graham were all within 1PPG of Cameron.

Cameron's stat line went 6-11-18-12-1-8-6-8-27-5
I too admit I wasn't aware it was this bad. I knew he fell off, but never looked close enough to see the true output. Pretty bleh!

I'm unsure what to think at this point in terms of future production. Positives are it's a contract year, improved QB play (maybe..), and higher volume potential. Downside are increased defensive focus and loss of TE friendly coaches. Truthfully I think the impacts will result in a slight reduction in performance, as I don't necessarily trust Manziel either.

Now may be a good sell time if concerned, but he's also young with loads of talent and a potential new destination on the horizon in the not too distant future..

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:49 pm

I see a Johnny Football safety valve. A big, sure-handed TE is a rookie QBs best friend. With Manziel's ability to extend plays, do you think that LBs and CBs will be able to stick with JC? He can outrun LBs and outmuscle CBs. I say top 5 TE next year.

DYNOmite
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DYNOmite » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:30 am

themburns wrote:
DLFiend wrote:
themburns wrote: Cameron is a player that has a physical skillset basically identical to Mike Evans, so I think he might find some comfort in that. As far as scheme goes, Washington sure fed Jordan Reed last year with Kyle Shanahan at OC, so I don't have any worries about a reduced role, especially with the ahem, talent Cleveland has at WR. I'd only rather have Graham or Gronk at the postion.

This is a perilous line of logic. Cameron and Evans are nothing alike aside from their height and weight and play different positions. How often do you recall Manziel throwing to his TE and T A&M? It was rare. He won't find much comfort in throwing to a bracketed TE unless he really likes interceptions. Cameron doesn't really know how to play TE yet either and depended on Norv getting him into space. He's gone. The fact that Cleveland has no other receiving option should scare you.

I'd rather have probably 8 TEs before Cameron. Graham, Gronk, Julius, Pitta, Rudolph, Green, Ertz, Ebron, Eifert. I could probably come up with a couple more to put in the Cameron tier.
Okay, I'll call your bluff. Here are the combine numbers in events both players tested in. Using mockdraftable.com:

Mike Evans:
Height: 6' 4¾"
Weight: 231
Arm Length: 35⅛"
Hand Size: 9⅝"
Bench Press: 12
Vertical Jump: 37"
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.26

Jordan Cameron:
Height: 6' 5"
Weight: 254
Arm Length: 33½"
Hand Size: 9¾"
Bench Press: 23
Vertical Jump: 37½"
20 Yard Shuttle: 4.03

Please continue taking Eric "stone hands" Ebron over a player with NFL production, it's no skin off my nose.
People don't realize what an athletic freak Cameron is.

Oddball456
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Oddball456 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:12 am

Last year I had Cameron and Greg Olsen - at the end of the year I was starting Olsen over Cameron but sometimes used Cameron as my flex. Due to Cameron value being so high and Olsen never getting much respect, I was happy to ship Cameron off this off season for great value in return. I think he CAN be a great TE, but I also think he could end up being completely meh and outside of the top 10 this year. Neither would surprise me

DLFiend
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DLFiend » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:34 pm

Loss Prevention wrote:Somebody has to step up and say something.
Oh God, get off your high-horse. Cameron is extremely overvalued right now. It's the most asinine line of logic to think that's he's going to even improve on his mediocre (outside of 4 games) numbers from last year.

Loss Prevention
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Loss Prevention » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:36 pm

DLFiend wrote:
Loss Prevention wrote:Somebody has to step up and say something.
Oh God, get off your high-horse. Cameron is extremely overvalued right now. It's the most asinine line of logic to think that's he's going to even improve on his mediocre (outside of 4 games) numbers from last year.
Got it! This is sure to be tons of fun to at the end of the season. (Riding off on high horse with a full trap).

DLFiend
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DLFiend » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:25 pm

Look man, I've already told you how outside of Cameron's first 4 games, he was basically a TE2. I'm not using a 4-game sample size to justify Cameron being something he's not.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:28 pm

DLFiend wrote:Look man, I've already told you how outside of Cameron's first 4 games, he was basically a TE2. I'm not using a 4-game sample size to justify Cameron being something he's not.
Many people get too caught up in the final point total of a player and not what they actually do on a week-to-week basis.

DLFiend
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DLFiend » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:48 pm

Reminds me of when people jumped all over Kaepernick's jock after playing GB in the playoffs last year and anointed him a QB1.

We all know how that turned out.

Phaded
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Phaded » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:35 pm

DLFiend wrote:Reminds me of when people jumped all over Kaepernick's jock after playing GB in the playoffs last year and anointed him a QB1.

We all know how that turned out.
Doug Martin after his first season is my favorite. He had those 2 amazing games that greatly skewed his APPG.