lamar miller

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
adammc44
Starter
Starter

lamar miller

Postby adammc44 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:37 pm

how does everyone feel? I just got him for pick 2.2 (pick 16). One of those trades that now that it went through I'm second guessing. I figure though where I need help is rb2 and at 16 im probably getting a guy at rb who's chances of being a solid weekly starter in the next couple years are the same if not lower than miller's. probably not the best value as the draft is so deep at wr, but i already have a bevy of young receiving talent. im hoping the gamble pays off as of course last year at this time miller probably couldn't be had for the 1.2. obviously things have changed but the talent and the reason everyone was so high on him hasn't.
The Man with the Golden Gloves (14 teams, 6 pt all tds, no ppr, 18+3 rookie taxi squad spots (up to 2 years))
start: 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te no flex, d, k
QB: Cousins, Darnold
RB: David Johnson, A Jones, D Freeman, Gio, Hyde, Malcom Brown
WR: Adam Thielen, C Godwin, T Williams, J Landry, A Miller
TE: Waller, Herndon
Taxi: P Williams, Jonnu Smith, Gesicki
IR: Crowell

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Re: lamar miller

Postby tstafford » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:43 pm

Man I don't know. I think with Moreno there a messy situation got worse. I don't think any of them will have much value. Miller is probably a low end RB3 in a 14 team league. And even that sounds optimistic to me.

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:13 pm

RBs inherently carry more value in 14-16 team leagues, so taking a stab on Miller with the 16th pick isn't terrible. What would make me shy away from doing it (at least for right now), is that most of the mock rookie drafts I've seen have the vast majority of RBs being pushed down into the 2nd round. I think there may be better prospects at the position to be had at the 16th pick. Admittedly, I've never been a big Miller supporter.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

DYNOmite
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DYNOmite » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:16 am

Sorry to say but you blew it - the #16 pick in this draft is far better than Miller.

italian_stallion21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby italian_stallion21 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:02 am

DYNOmite wrote:Sorry to say but you blew it - the #16 pick in this draft is far better than Miller.
How so? I missed when the #16 pick played his NFL games.

Spinkso
Captain
Captain

Postby Spinkso » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:08 pm

Miller wasn't a flop last year. Mike Sherman and a bottom five o line were the contributors to the disappointing season...
Everything that could have gone wrong did in Miami last year. Miller ran the ball 177 times for 709 yards for a 4YPC. He converted 26 of his 35 targets in the passing game as well. Despite playing every game last year he only got 15+ carries five times. He eclipsed 20 carries on time. It's hard to find a groove when your play is sporadic.
Sherman, quite possibly the dumbest coach/OC in the NFL is gone. He has the endorsements of Joe Bugel and Chip Kelly, and he is expected to bring some of Chip Kelly's offense with him to Miami. Point being, they're going to run the ball. I don't think for one moment that Knowshon Moreno is going to come in and be the workhorse. We forget that sans Manning, Moreno isn't very good. He'll get you exactly what is blocked, and can block. He has limitations that will force this into a time share. Lazor ran the ball 500 times last year in Philly... I expect him to run the ball a lot in Miami. We know what Moreno is, and we know Miller will get his chance. A normal workload, and hopefully some additions to a poor o line and I think he sneaks into the low end RB2/high end RB3 range.

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:47 pm

i recently recieved miller as a throw-in in a recent trade. i own moreno aswell in that same league. i think both have some talent. moreno was a top prospect that has dealt with injuries. when he has been healthy, he has perormed well.

miller is a guy who was drafted with the likes of martin, trich, and wilson. point being with miller, there is quite a few years left for him to show a little something. the real point being here is that at this time last year.....what were you paying for miller????? and right now, your telling me that the same guy is going for, or for less, than this late in a rookie draft......most of the rb's that will be available at that spot will be in similar if not worse situations and havent showed us anything. atleast when miller got an opportunity, i was wondering why he wasnt getting more. he seemed to be quite a bit better than thomas in my eyes. would have liked to see his numbers with 250-300 touches. the situation isnt bad for future opportunities. he's sitting behind moreno who most say cant play and is aging. it appears to me that he's lining up to start taking on a heavy load by the age of 25 as things are developing. that would give him 3-5 years of some solid production. whether he's performing at age 25 or 21 is really irrelevant to me. career touches are what tear rb's down.

2.2 is probably viewed as an overpay right now. but its not like you gave a top 5 here. miller is exactly the type of guys that i look to buy throughout my franchises. a guy who's at one time, value was fairly high and the bottom has fallen out for the time being. guys like nicks, wallace and harvin come to mind from this past season. its really the same concept of attempting to buy a guy before he hits and value goes up. (your paying similar prices) maybe guys like twilliams, kihry robinson (take note that buying young guys before they hit, just like getting miller right now)

of course you may miss out on a stud at 16, but you may have just landed a guy (worth a ton a year ago) for the 16th pick this year.

adammc44
Starter
Starter

Postby adammc44 » Thu May 01, 2014 2:19 pm

[quote]most of the rb's that will be available at that spot will be in similar if not worse situations and havent showed us anything/quote]

this really was my thought process. it is probably a bit of an overpay in the vacuum of value, but although I bummed I won't have a rookie pick this year, I think miller is just as good and likely a much better dart throw than a rb at 16. I would have loved to get the alabama state guy, but the rest of the rookies at this point I see with less likelihood to succeed than Miller. I had been trying to move garcon for rb help, but noone in my league has bit or has seemed interested in moving forward with talks, so while moving garcon and using 16 to add a receiver would have been my ideal scenario, I'm ok knowing I have the depth at wr and rolling with one of vereen, miller, sjax, and brown being servicable at rb2 every week.
The Man with the Golden Gloves (14 teams, 6 pt all tds, no ppr, 18+3 rookie taxi squad spots (up to 2 years))
start: 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te no flex, d, k
QB: Cousins, Darnold
RB: David Johnson, A Jones, D Freeman, Gio, Hyde, Malcom Brown
WR: Adam Thielen, C Godwin, T Williams, J Landry, A Miller
TE: Waller, Herndon
Taxi: P Williams, Jonnu Smith, Gesicki
IR: Crowell

tackling dummies
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby tackling dummies » Fri May 02, 2014 4:15 am

sloth8u wrote:i recently recieved miller as a throw-in in a recent trade. i own moreno as well in that same league. i think both have some talent. moreno was a top prospect that has dealt with injuries. when he has been healthy, he has performed well.
Lost me after this. Prospect yes, but then again, isn't every incoming player? Outrunning your blocking is not something that he can do, so he's just another guy for the most part.

Re: Miller, I'm skeptical that he can amount to much other than to clog up a time share. In the bigger picture, the MIA franchise is in a bit of a transition (to a new GM) and Miller was inherited from Ireland's days. So, what does the GM do of all things? Add (in a league-wide reduction of value to the RBs) to the RB roster and essentially cut blocked Miller's time. Shaky O-line + drafted by former GM + already dropped down a peg is not an ideal picture.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Fri May 02, 2014 4:57 am

italian_stallion21 wrote:
DYNOmite wrote:Sorry to say but you blew it - the #16 pick in this draft is far better than Miller.
How so? I missed when the #16 pick played his NFL games.
because if the phins had any faith at all in miller they would not have signed knowshown ... they would have used that money on their pathetic O-Line
I had miller everywhere last year but he is at best a hold and I think with all the wrs sure to get picked in dynasty top 15s that a solid rb prospect can be had at 16th
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

Coeur de Lion
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Coeur de Lion » Fri May 02, 2014 8:20 am

Miller is a change of pace speed back. He has zero ability to break tackles and run through trash at the LOS, so he'll never be a guy that an NFL team can build a consistent ground game around. Miller splitting with Thomas last year wasn't due to coaching stupidity, or to what Thomas can do -- it was all about what Miller himself can't do. His draft pedigree, film, and career thus far are all screaming one thing; don't be the guy stubbornly insisting something else.

Rollingakg
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Rollingakg » Sat May 03, 2014 5:18 am

That is a solid move imo. Maybe to be value fair you shouldve gotten a 3rd in return but oh well. Don't know how moreno affects him this yr, but as an owner i was happy they signed him for a year, prolly less likely they go another direction with the draft. Plus i dont think moreno's $3 mill wouldve gotten too much oline help on the fa market

gunman
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby gunman » Sun May 04, 2014 1:51 pm

Miller isn't worth the pick you gave up. He's just not quite good enough to lead a team and with any competition he just can't possibly produce enough
Team 1

QB Rogers, Foles, Manuel, Glennon
RB Gurley, J Hill, Woodhead
WR Cooper, M Evans, Cooks, Hurns, J Brown, DGB
TE Green, Rodgers
Key defensive players- Atkins, M Foster, Kuechly, Vaccaro, H Smith, Cyprien, Peters, Ha Ha

Team 2

QB Wilson, A Smith, Cousins, RG3
RB Rawls, Forte, Lacy, Hyde
WR Green, Julio, Watkins, D Parker, White, Baldwin, M Bryant
TE Green, Reed
DL- Houston, Jordan
LB- Kuechly, L David, Burfict, K Alexander
Sec- H Smith, Cyprien

Starting Requirments
1 QB, 1-2 RB, 2-3 WR, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 Sec

ffmpp
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby ffmpp » Sun May 04, 2014 1:55 pm

Spinkso wrote:
*Mike Sherman and a bottom five o line were the contributors to the disappointing season
* Miller ran the ball 177 times for 709 yards for a 4YPC. He converted 26 of his 35 targets in the passing game as well. Despite playing every game last year he only got 15+ carries five times. He eclipsed 20 carries on time.
* Lazor ran the ball 500 times last year in Philly
* A normal workload, and hopefully some additions to a poor o line and I think he sneaks into the low end RB2/high end RB3 range.
This is largely where I am as well. Was he disappointing last year? Sure. Does Moreno coming in hurt him? Sure. He's being sold for peanuts right now so he's definitely a great buy-low. He's not a tackle-breaking, 25-touch-per-game kind of RB. But with his speed metrics, agility, youth, a run-focused coach, and an improved offensive line, he really has nowhere to go but up.
10-team/Standard:
QB: P. Manning, T. Romo
RB: L. McCoy, D. Martin, S. Vereen, S. Ridley, T. Gerhart, C. Michael, K. Moreno, L. Miller, D. Wilson, A. Bradshaw, B. Brown, B. Cunningham
WR: AJ Green, J. Jones, J. Nelson, V-Jax, P. Harvin, G. Jennings, S. Johnson, M. Williams, M. Brown
TE: J. Thomas, K. Rudolph, J. Fauria

Twitter: ff_mpp

sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby sloth8u » Sun May 04, 2014 2:00 pm

i am going to try to remember this thread if miller ever gets a decent work load. i think most of you are writing off a young rb who hasnt even received much of an opportunity. there really isnt anything different this year than last year when his value was much higher.