Why is PPR the new standard?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Re: Why is PPR the new standard?

Postby TommyL31 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:34 am

I've played in a league where QBs, RBs, and WRs all get 1 pt per yard (and touchdowns only count for 10 points). It was the opposite of a TD league, it was essentially a yardage league. If you want something that mirrors the real NFL that certainly did. We actually had to have a backup QB rule in place that if your QB was injured in the first half and didn't play a snap in the second half you could count the points from your backup QB instead because in a league like that a QB can easily win or lose a matchup for you.

That being said, I'm glad I don't play in a league like that anymore. It may have resembled the NFL in many ways but it's not as enjoyable in my opinion.
"whiners kill more leagues than incompetent trades" - clarion contrarion

DFFL - Flea Flickers, 12 team PPR dynasty
Legends of the Gridiron - Boss Hawgs, 12 team PPR Superflex Salary Cap league
USFL - Memphis Showboats, 12 team PPR Superflex Tiered Salary Cap League

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:38 am

I understand the reasons to play PPR in that it adds avlue and does deepen the rb pool sort of but by over weighing the importance of simply catching the football
E.G. 1 catch for no gain equals a bruising 10 yard run where a runner breaks 4 tackles I think actually minimizes rb play rather than maximizes it. I would rather watch one 17 yard run than twenty 7 yard wr screen where the corner is giving up a 10 yard cushion
personal preference I know but it is troubling to reward the players the same points to me.
I do commish 1 league that pays .33 per catch but it also pays .05 per carry I did that because it is a 16 team league and it helps a guy like say jaquizz rodgers have flex or bye week value.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

imi814
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby imi814 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:03 am

My league is also .5 and I love that scoring.
10 team start 2QB salary cap .5 PPR 2QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1 Flex(WR/RB/TE)

QB: Stroud, Lamar Geno, Dobbs, Young
RB: CMC eitiene, Hall, Jevante Williams, Perine
WR: Jefferson, Waddle, Pittman, Olave, d Smith, N brown
TE: Goedart, Chig

2024 3ones
2025 5ones

Team 2: 12 team salary cap PPR 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1 Flex(WR/RB/TE)

QB: Burrow, Lawrence, Richardson, Young
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, Taylor, Swift, sanders, Roshon
WR: Chase, Lamb, waddle, Olave, Watson, Ridley
TE: Pitts, Johnson, Mayer

2024 5 ones 3 twos

ccj
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ccj » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:14 pm

clarion contrarion wrote:I understand the reasons to play PPR in that it adds avlue and does deepen the rb pool sort of but by over weighing the importance of simply catching the football
E.G. 1 catch for no gain equals a bruising 10 yard run where a runner breaks 4 tackles I think actually minimizes rb play rather than maximizes it. I would rather watch one 17 yard run than twenty 7 yard wr screen where the corner is giving up a 10 yard cushion
personal preference I know but it is troubling to reward the players the same points to me.
I do commish 1 league that pays .33 per catch but it also pays .05 per carry I did that because it is a 16 team league and it helps a guy like say jaquizz rodgers have flex or bye week value.
And then Mike Tolbert makes a 1 yard dive for a TD, has a 3 TD day and puts both the PPR guy and bruising rusher to shame.

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:36 pm

ccj wrote:
clarion contrarion wrote:I understand the reasons to play PPR in that it adds avlue and does deepen the rb pool sort of but by over weighing the importance of simply catching the football
And then Mike Tolbert makes a 1 yard dive for a TD, has a 3 TD day and puts both the PPR guy and bruising rusher to shame.
td vultures can be discouraging especially on a 3td day for my opponent
but a td is a td anyway you slice as as opposed to a 7 yard wr screen being one of the lamest plays possible to gather that many points.
I personally think any pass caught behind the LOS should be a carry rather than a catch.
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

zounder
Role Player
Role Player

Postby zounder » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:57 pm

A lot of misconception about "parity" in this thread.

Attempting to create "parity" is trying to equate the RB12 with the RB1. That's not at all what the topic at hand is.

However, there is in fact an attempt to make the positions themselves more balanced. Think of an extreme example where RBs scored 10 points per touchdown. Who would draft anything else? the variance across RBs would be absolutely insane.

PPR makes it so that you don't just draft primarily RBs in the first round. Now, wait a sec, because this dynasty, WRs are already inflated in value. But it seems to me this topic is about scoring in general, including redraft.

The OP attempted to use variance to describe how, in fact, PPR was -not- creating balance across positions, but I think there's an issue with those numbers. First, adding those "variance" scores together makes no sense to me since there's overlap in both cases. Second, I don't know why "top 36" has less variances than "top 12" unless I misunderstand what those scores are. I am interpreting "top 12" as the difference between the WR1 and WR12. it's impossible for that difference to be smaller than the WR1-WR36 difference.
-Nick Canzanese
@FF_NickCanz

TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TommyL31 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:36 pm

clarion contrarion wrote:
ccj wrote:
td vultures can be discouraging especially on a 3td day for my opponent
but a td is a td anyway you slice as as opposed to a 7 yard wr screen being one of the lamest plays possible to gather that many points.
I personally think any pass caught behind the LOS should be a carry rather than a catch.
They are. That doesn't mean you can't have a catch for negative yards though because a WR can go backwards to try to go around and get to the corner.

I know painfully well that a pass caught behind the LOS is a catch because in 2009 (I think) I was in the playoffs. I had Kurt Warner and my opponent had Anquan Boldin. Warner throws a screen pass to Boldin for a TD and I go on to win our matchup. On Tuesday there is a scoring correction and it is ruled that Boldin caught the ball behind the LOS and therefore it was a rushing TD, I lose the points, he keeps them and I lose.

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:26 pm

TommyL31 wrote: They are. That doesn't mean you can't have a catch for negative yards though because a WR can go backwards to try to go around and get to the corner.

I know painfully well that a pass caught behind the LOS is a catch because in 2009 (I think) I was in the playoffs. I had Kurt Warner and my opponent had Anquan Boldin. Warner throws a screen pass to Boldin for a TD and I go on to win our matchup. On Tuesday there is a scoring correction and it is ruled that Boldin caught the ball behind the LOS and therefore it was a rushing TD, I lose the points, he keeps them and I lose.
Unless I am mistaken, any pass that travels from the offensive player toward the goal line for the defending team is a forward pass. However, I believe yardage for the pass is positive as long as the player advances from the point where the ball is caught (ie: positive passing or receiving yardage is earned on any play that the receiver does not move backward).

For your situation it was probably ruled that Boldin was parallel to or behind Warner's field position when the ball was caught.

TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TommyL31 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:31 am

Csl312 wrote:
TommyL31 wrote: They are. That doesn't mean you can't have a catch for negative yards though because a WR can go backwards to try to go around and get to the corner.

Unless I am mistaken, any pass that travels from the offensive player toward the goal line for the defending team is a forward pass. However, I believe yardage for the pass is positive as long as the player advances from the point where the ball is caught (ie: positive passing or receiving yardage is earned on any play that the receiver does not move backward).

For your situation it was probably ruled that Boldin was parallel to or behind Warner's field position when the ball was caught.
Not sure if I understand if you're disagreeing with me or not but I don't think you are. The play I was referring to was deemed a lateral so basically a really long sweep.

Csl312
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Csl312 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:54 am

I just meant, you can catch a ball behind the LOS and it can still be a forward pass. Rather than using the LOS for a benchmark to determine a forward pass, you use the spot on the field where the passer is releasing the ball from.

TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TommyL31 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:00 am

Csl312 wrote:I just meant, you can catch a ball behind the LOS and it can still be a forward pass. Rather than using the LOS for a benchmark to determine a forward pass, you use the spot on the field where the passer is releasing the ball from.
Ah, good point.

sportstalkryan
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby sportstalkryan » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:49 am

I think First Downs is a far superior statistical measure of player performance than, say, Receptions. Now that first downs are a readily available statistic, we can better differentiate what actually matters to a NFL team. Is a RB catching a short swing pass for a couple yards on 1st and 10 worth the same to a team as that same RB making the identical catch on 3rd and 1? Absolutely not, yet in PPR leagues they are scored the same. We can score First Downs to better distinguish plays that are more highly valued by an NFL team.
Commish of 4 leagues. Prefer full roster, IDP, salary cap, contract leagues designed to replicate the NFL GM experience as much as possible. Because THAT'S the fantasy.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:08 am

I used to be the dinosaur for being one of the last ones left who didn't like PPR... now I'm retro! :ugeek:

I've found the best compromise between the two extremes is this:
1 pt per 3 receptions
1 pt per 6 carries
1 pt per 8 completions (unless you're already giving 6 pts per TD pass, then the QBs don't need this)

-oo-

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:17 am

sportstalkryan wrote:I think First Downs is a far superior statistical measure of player performance than, say, Receptions. Now that first downs are a readily available statistic, we can better differentiate what actually matters to a NFL team. Is a RB catching a short swing pass for a couple yards on 1st and 10 worth the same to a team as that same RB making the identical catch on 3rd and 1? Absolutely not, yet in PPR leagues they are scored the same. We can score First Downs to better distinguish plays that are more highly valued by an NFL team.
:thumbup:
Download the 2019 Cohort Report for free today!

Dingram
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Dingram » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:58 am

I like Ppr. I feel like more points=more fun. I've recently joined a tiered Ppr system where the scoring is rb1, wr0.5, te1.5 & I think that system balances it out pretty evenly. Every system has it's flaws. In the system I just mentioned Jimmy Graham was ridiculous, but having studs is part of the fun IMO. Having a RB run for 80 & just getting 8 points doesn't do it for me. I MUCH prefer some sort of a Ppr system. Also like the idea of the .2 per carry system mentioned earlier. But again, that system will strongly favor certain players. IMO that the point of fantasy football. Find the players that best suit the scoring system your using that particular league, & create your rankings. Nobody is forcing anybody to play in a league they don't like.