Hold
60%

Total votes: 62

bigmac9812
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

What to do with Ray Rice

Postby bigmac9812 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:47 pm

How the mighty have fallen, Rice was a top 15 startup pick last offseason and after a mediocre year and the assault case his value is at an all-time low. I own him and the assault cause getting moved from simple to aggravated(3-5 years in prison) is scaring me. The question/poll i have is Sell low (will it ever get higher?) Buy Low or Hold.
Twitter: @bigmac9812

breeze
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: What to do with Ray Rice

Postby breeze » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:28 pm

I voted sell low because it depends how "low" it is. If it's for scraps, then just hold.
Twitter: @BreezeIDP

project mayhem
Role Player
Role Player

Postby project mayhem » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:41 pm

I voted sell low but I was low on him before his recent indictment. It's not very often you see a strong bounce back season from someone with his amount of carries.

joekool
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby joekool » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:02 pm

Call me trigger happy, but I always try to sell a year too early as opposed to a year too late. Soon as I see something bad start, I move 'em. Chris Johnson, Arian Foster, Clinton Portis, Larry Johnson..etc.
So if you can get a decent pick or a possible breakout type of player, I'd do it in a heartbeat. If its worse than that, its probably better to likely go down with the ship on him as who knows if he returns to something usable.

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:08 pm

I bought low on Rice at the end of last year. It was a package deal where I essentially got Rice for free. He's not going to net me anything worth having at this point, so I'll just hold him since I have almost nothing invested in him. I'm not looking to buy him elsewhere and I'm not willing to give up good value for Pierce either at this point.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:28 pm

BuckeyeNation wrote:I bought low on Rice at the end of last year. It was a package deal where I essentially got Rice for free. He's not going to net me anything worth having at this point, so I'll just hold him since I have almost nothing invested in him. I'm not looking to buy him elsewhere and I'm not willing to give up good value for Pierce either at this point.
How do you get Rice for free a year after his 2012?

BuckeyeNation
GOAT
GOAT

Postby BuckeyeNation » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:34 pm

FiremanEd wrote:
BuckeyeNation wrote:I bought low on Rice at the end of last year. It was a package deal where I essentially got Rice for free. He's not going to net me anything worth having at this point, so I'll just hold him since I have almost nothing invested in him. I'm not looking to buy him elsewhere and I'm not willing to give up good value for Pierce either at this point.
The other owner hated him after his horrible 2013. His team was horrible and he over reacted trying to sell off his older players. This was around Thanksgiving, and I was on a championship run (which I got). If I remember the trade correctly it was....

Give: Hilton/Marlon Brown/Dennis Johnson/2014 2nd (ended up being 2.12)

Got: Andre Johnson/Rice/Colston.

I then flipped Colston/Bobby Rainey for Nicks the following week. So to me Hilton/MBrown/2.12 for AJ/Nicks was good value IMO. So Rice was essentially free in all of this.
-TEAM 1. Year 5 '15/'16 Champ
Ben
Freeman/Cook/Hyde/Crowell/AP/Rawls/JWill(GB)/Gallman/Vereen/Smallwood/Clement
Julio/Jordy/Crowder/Enunwa/JuJu/Zay/Treadwell/JJNelson/Anderson/Switzer
Olsen/Graham/Gathers/Kittle

-TEAM 2- Year 5 '13/'16 Champ-'14/'15 R/U
Luck/Cousins
Bell/Hunt/Gillislee/Henry/Charles/Rawls/Burkhead
Brown/Jordy/Tate/Moncrief/Enunwa/Meredith/Zay/JJNelson/Anderson/Stewart
Olsen/Ebron/Henry

-TEAM 3- Year 5
'13-'15 R/U
Cam/Smith/Trubisky
Zeke/CJA/Montgomery/Ware/Charles/Booker/Burk/Smallwood/Cohen
Brown/Hilton/Diggs/Marvin/Pryor/Parker/Maclin/Meredith/JJNelson
Reed/Doyle/Miller/Gathers

-TEAM 4- Year 3
Wilson/Mariota
Ajayi/Howard/Hyde/Riddick/Vereen/Burk/Clement
OBJ/ARob/MThomas/Landry/Adams/Crowder/MJones/White/Lee/Samuel
Olsen/Rudolph/Swoope/Barnidge

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:47 pm

Sorry, I thought you meant 'after last year' as in after 2012, which he was pretty impressive. By Thanksgiving he had out together some concern games and I can see why someone may look to sell aging assets. He sold a lot though and really only got Hilton back. You definitely won that one.

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:23 pm

The only league I own him he's behind Lynch, Bush and arguably P. Thoms next year.

As an RB 3-4 he's got upside if he does anything at all...and if not hopefully he's a nice bye week-depth guy.

I doubt anyone offers me anything significant so I'll likely be holding.

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Thu May 01, 2014 7:10 am

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... 2388.story
"He is going to make an application to the pretrial intervention program," said prosecutor Diane Ruberton. "If he's not accepted, the plea offer will be probation. We're not requesting jail time."
Download the 2019 Cohort Report for free today!

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Thu May 01, 2014 9:17 am

BuckeyeNation wrote:
FiremanEd wrote:
The other owner hated him after his horrible 2013. His team was horrible and he over reacted trying to sell off his older players. This was around Thanksgiving, and I was on a championship run (which I got). If I remember the trade correctly it was....

I then flipped Colston/Bobby Rainey for Nicks the following week. So to me Hilton/MBrown/2.12 for AJ/Nicks was good value IMO. So Rice was essentially free in all of this.
Wow. I think you totally screwed that guy. Or maybe he simply screwed himself. That was a very lopsided deal. Overtime if several deals like that go on in a league - it typically causes problems. Bad teams get worse and good teams get better. Bad team's owners leave - turnover gets more common - and long story short - the league is less enjoyable.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Thu May 01, 2014 9:25 am

JFever wrote:
BuckeyeNation wrote: The other owner hated him after his horrible 2013. His team was horrible and he over reacted trying to sell off his older players. This was around Thanksgiving, and I was on a championship run (which I got). If I remember the trade correctly it was....

Wow. I think you totally screwed that guy. Or maybe he simply screwed himself. That was a very lopsided deal. Overtime if several deals like that go on in a league - it typically causes problems. Bad teams get worse and good teams get better. Bad team's owners leave - turnover gets more common - and long story short - the league is less enjoyable.
Remember, in November T.Y. had just gone off for 7/121/3 and 7/130/0 in back-to-back weeks. Colston and Rice had been struggling all season. If this guy wasn't a contender, I could understand that move at the time. Looks like an overreaction now, obviously.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Thu May 01, 2014 9:35 am

Yeah, Your prob right Jules. Hilton was hot at the time and likely was overvalued. Rice had also slowed down and Colston was struggling. Andre was still productive though but he did have some qb issues going on in Hou. I'm still not on board with Hilton and view him as more of a mid level wr2 going forward. If he was trying to rebuild and all - getting guys like M.Brown and D.Johnson isn't really helpful. The 2.12 isn't likely going to be a huge difference maker. Basically now - in hind site it was Hilton for A.Johnson, Rice, Colston... and that is simply sad.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

tackling dummies
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby tackling dummies » Thu May 01, 2014 12:16 pm

Hold due to his '13 hip injury, but move him if he pouts together a few good games.

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Thu May 01, 2014 12:58 pm

tackling dummies wrote:move him if he pouts together a few good games.
Did you mean to post this in the Jay Cutler thread?

...Sorry. Cheap shot.