Tips for Creating a League

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
yougothawk
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Tips for Creating a League

Postby yougothawk » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:51 am

I've played dynasty for a couple years and play in one league, I'm looking to start a league but had a few questions for the experienced community.

It will be 12 team, PPR, standard scoring. $50 a year.

1)
I think the best way to insure a league lives is having players pay 1 year in advance, so in essence when the league starts you will pay for two years and every year after will pay for one year, always paying one season ahead.

The reason I like this is because if someone leaves a team they have run into the ground it may be hard to find a new player to take over, the money would be used as incentive.

Will this turn people away or give them a sense of security?

2)
This was I thought I had and from everything I've read on here it seems as though it isn't being done.

I'd like to make it a no rookie league, to be in the league the player must have completed one season, every year instead of a rookie draft we would hold a first year player draft.

I like this idea for two reasons. First, the draft is a crapshoot, sure Sammy Watkins looks special, but we'll know a lot better this time next season. Keenan Allen went 2.04 in my draft last year. I just think having a year to see the player in the NFL gives you a much better sense of what you're getting.

Second, parity. Simple as that, it gives the worse teams a better chance to get the best young players in the league. Instead of taking Tavon Austin with the 1.01 last season, this year you'd be picking out of Gio, Lacy, Allen, Patterson, Stacy (just looking at ADP data) with those top 3-5 picks, Tavon would probably be around late 1st early 2nd where he belongs. This would assist the worse teams in getting back to the pack while making it more difficult for the best teams to stay so far above.

Also you couple theoretically draft, whenever, after week 16, although I'm assuming you would wait until at least after the Super Bowl.

I know this is "out there" and may turn some people off, I think it's unique and with so many types of dynasty players around 11 more along with myself would give it a go.

3)
My last questions is on divisions and scheduling, How do you set that up, I want it to be very structured. The league I play in now is 4 divisions of 3, you play two division teams twice for 4 games then 8 non-division teams once, leaving one team you never play. I'm a bit of a perfectionist so that really bothers me.

I may have just solved this in writing that out, go from 4 week playoff to three and play all non-division teams once.

Okay that would work but I'm more looking for 3 divisions of 4 if anyone has any good formulas for that.

-

That's a bit of a read but if you were able to make it through I appreciate any input you may have.

Also if you have any interest in playing feel free to leave your email in the comments. I'm thinking of getting this going in the next couple weeks and will draft whenever everyone is ready, no need to wait for the draft!

Thanks for any help you may have for me!

patiloman13
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Tips for Creating a League

Postby patiloman13 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:25 am

I love seeing new ideas, as that's what the league I'm commishing this year is as well. Only problem I see with it is you're making a shallower player pool to play with, by not having rookies on any rosters. There are plenty of them that do end up starting and being fantasy relevant, so it just leaves less to play with, but that's not necessarily a reason not to do it. I do like how it would increase the parity, but what if you drafted half way through the season or something? That way at least late fantasy season and playoff time you'd be able to use those rookies. As I'm typing it I don't know if you would use current standings or last year's for that draft, so maybe that's not a good idea. Anyway, I do like the thought with it, would be interested in seeing how it plays out.

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:30 am

My main recommendation to you would be to screen potential owners. Ask them questions about their dynasty experience and get links to their leagues. You can see past trades they made, msg board posts, and how recently they logged in etc. Basically their dynasty history is right there for you to look at.

As far as prepaying goes, i don't do that in the leagues i run and i've never had an issue filling an opening. If it's a good league others will want to join. Besides if getting an orphan for free one year is an incentive wouldn't that owner have to pay double the next year so he too is paying 1 year ahead?

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:39 am

I've found that the best schedule format for a 12 team league is as follows:

3 divisions of 4 teams.

Reg season weeks 1-13 playing 1 doubleheader in week 1 (This is a scheduling option on MFL). This allows you to play your div teams twice and EVERY non div team once.

6 team playoffs in weeks 14-16 top 2 seeds get a first round bye.

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:48 am

I don't like the no rookie plan. IMO most of what makes dynasty fun is player evaluation and projection. If you wait to see which rookies hit in year one before drafting it takes most of that away. Hell, i have a 14 team league that actually drafts 2 weeks BEFORE the NFL draft so that owners must use their rookie eval skills instead of relying on situation. It's a blast and my owners love it. We draft in 26 days

sportstalkryan
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby sportstalkryan » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:37 am

In my new 16 team startup, we're paying 1 year ahead. I had no problems finding owners.

Personally, I find the no-rookie idea intriguing. But that is mostly because I'm not a college football guy and have no idea who the rookies are when they come in and feel like I'm at a disadvantage. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a bunch of team owners who felt the same way, though. Dynasty players love themselves some rookies.

I like the double-header scheduling solution mentioned above. And doing it in week1 works as there are no byes and minimal injuries so the teams are at max strength.

Take some time to think about your playoff seeding and $ payout. What happens if the 2 best, or even 3 best, teams are all in the same division? Do they have a shot at getting the 2 best, or 3 best, payouts? Or will they be killing each other for a chance at just making it to the championship game while a lesser team gets $ from making it to the big game by representing a lesser conference/division?
Commish of 4 leagues. Prefer full roster, IDP, salary cap, contract leagues designed to replicate the NFL GM experience as much as possible. Because THAT'S the fantasy.

CrimsonKodiak
Starter
Starter

Postby CrimsonKodiak » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:56 am

I'm not a big fan of the 1st year draft Vs rookie draft.

There is a pay off between parity and diluting draft risk. Creating parity just for the sake of parity doesn't seem to justify not taking rookies. And while I agree you are trying to strengthen the weaker teams; you are placing a heavier penalty for winning teams.

I love rookie drafts, I love the anticipation, the suspense, the crushing defeat of someone who tanks, the joy of a 2nd or 3rd rounder rising up. This is what the "off season" is about and I would feel slighted if I didn't get to experience that if I sophomore drafted.

don't get me wrong I would love to compare rookie draft ADP and 1st year draft ADP to see some of the major movements/similarities that occur in one year. Any trends might help improve my rookie "lottery". so if you do go down this route please post your sophomore drafts.
DLF Premium league (QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, W/R/T, W/R/T) PPR
QB - Brady, Carr, Hoyer, Lynch
RB - CJA, Miller, Langford, Henry, Vereen, J. Allen, McCluster, Darkwa
WR - Sanders, Woods, Funchess, Jo Brown, Hogan, Ph. Cooper, Heyward-Bey, Wright, Marquess Wilson, Hunter, Goodwin, Fuller
TE - Gronkowski, Ebron, Chandler, Boyle

2017 1,2,3