James Jones @ the Panthers

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
junk_monkey
Role Player
Role Player

James Jones @ the Panthers

Postby junk_monkey » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:10 pm

So Jones has been talking about how he'd love to go to the Panthers - of course he would, he's unemployed - but if he did go, where does his value go to? Who would be a suitable comparison?
The DynaBowl Fantasy Football League (Commissioner) est 2014
10 team non-PPR, $600 salary cap, full IDP (big play), 50 Roster spots, 10 Taxi
QB, 2-3 RB, 3-4 WR, 1-2 TE (2 offensive flex), K, PN, 1-2 DT, 2 DE, 3-4 LB, 2 CB, 2 S (1 defensive flex)
Team: Dynablaster Bombermen
Roster - Too big to post(!)
2019 - Champions; 2016 - 3rd

The ChatterBowl Redraft Fantasy Football League - est 2012 - 16 team, non-PPR
2014, 2015 - Champions, 2012 - 3rd, 2017 - 4th

DYNOmite
All Pro
All Pro

Re: James Jones @ the Panthers

Postby DYNOmite » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:27 pm

I expect he'd would get a lot of targets and could catch 70 passes for 950 yards, but Cam has never thrown more than 7 TD's to any WR/TE.

tackling dummies
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby tackling dummies » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:31 pm

Somewhere around G Jennings/ R Wayne/ B Hartline.

WR2 with WR3 downside.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:03 pm

:whistle: Lateral move imo. Going from Rogers and GB, being one of several targets of a great qb in a semi pass heavy offense to being a higher play by play read of Cam Newton, more known as a running qb, in a run heavy - no name offense with a very good defense.... meh.... Not a lot to get too excited about when it comes to J.Jones imo. He is an end of the bench guy for good fantasy teams and a wr2 or 3 on teams with wr depth issues.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:52 pm

DYNOmite wrote:I expect he'd would get a lot of targets and could catch 70 passes for 950 yards, but Cam has never thrown more than 7 TD's to any WR/TE.
He hasn't exactly had anything special at WR or TE. Smith was a special receiver in his prime, but not with Cam.

ajb3313
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ajb3313 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:22 am

Agree that it'd be more of a lateral move than a decisive upgrade or downgrade. It goes without saying that his 14 TDs in 2012 was flukey, but I think that might cause some people to overrate his value ("he scored 14 TDs as the Packers' WR3, image if he was a team's #1 receiver!"). He's one of those guys who are helpful to your team if you have him, but who you probably shouldn't trip over yourself to acquire.
(12 Teams, Non-PPR, 15 Keeper Dynasty)
QB: Ryan Tannehill
RB: Eddie Lacy, Jeremy Hill, Charles Sims, Dion Lewis, Ameer Abdullah, Dwayne Washington
WR: Brandin Cooks, Keenan Allen, Donte Moncrief, DeVante Parker, Josh Gordon, Corey Coleman, Quincy Enunwa, Laquon Treadwell, Dorial Green-Beckham
TE: Travis Kelce

sleepnsurf
Role Player
Role Player

Postby sleepnsurf » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:35 am

I disagree with the lateral move thinking. The problem with him in the past was he would get 1 catch for 8 yards one game and 9 for 123 another. I think in Carolina his numbers become consistent so he is now a much better wr 3/4 option. I never trusted him enough at any position on my team when he was with Green Bay.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:02 am

sleepnsurf wrote:I disagree with the lateral move thinking. The problem with him in the past was he would get 1 catch for 8 yards one game and 9 for 123 another. I think in Carolina his numbers become consistent so he is now a much better wr 3/4 option. I never trusted him enough at any position on my team when he was with Green Bay.
I will agree to an extent as long as you are willing to agree that J.Jones will never see 9 for 123 again with Cam throwing him the ball. Hence - lateral move even if he is a touch more consistent. - Which is speculation anyway at this point.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

ajb3313
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby ajb3313 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:47 pm

He's a Raider. Yuck.
(12 Teams, Non-PPR, 15 Keeper Dynasty)
QB: Ryan Tannehill
RB: Eddie Lacy, Jeremy Hill, Charles Sims, Dion Lewis, Ameer Abdullah, Dwayne Washington
WR: Brandin Cooks, Keenan Allen, Donte Moncrief, DeVante Parker, Josh Gordon, Corey Coleman, Quincy Enunwa, Laquon Treadwell, Dorial Green-Beckham
TE: Travis Kelce

breeze
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby breeze » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:55 pm

As a Raider. WR5 material. WR4 ceiling.
Twitter: @BreezeIDP

Water Buffalo
Legend
Legend

Postby Water Buffalo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:58 pm

Aaaand so much for James Jones as a potential fantasy asset.

KingsKing
Captain
Captain

Postby KingsKing » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:59 pm

If the Raiders bring in Schaub or Freeman he will be fine, both those Qb's have been able to support decent WR numbers in the past. If the Raiders draft Watkins suddenly the offense isn't looking so bad.

breeze
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby breeze » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:09 pm

Moore and maybe even Streeter are better than Jones IMO. I don't see how is he anything more than bench material in fantasy
Twitter: @BreezeIDP

tackling dummies
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby tackling dummies » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:34 pm

KingsKing wrote:If the Raiders bring in Schaub or Freeman he will be fine, both those Qb's have been able to support decent WR numbers in the past. If the Raiders draft Watkins suddenly the offense isn't looking so bad.
Not so sure on Freeman, even with nothing else on the roster. Schaub is a placeholder, but he has some value left. Tons of garbage time opportunities for the WRs though.

Krang
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krang » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:43 pm

ebreeze12 wrote:Moore and maybe even Streeter are better than Jones IMO. I don't see how is he anything more than bench material in fantasy
Based on the small sample size from last year, I might even go so far as to say that I like Andre Holmes better than Jones (probably than Moore, too), at least from a fantasy potential standpoint. But, they didn't pay Jones what they did to let him rot on the bench, so I'm sure he'll get plenty of targets, so there's that.