If Watkins goes to the Raiders at 1.5.......

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dawgs4life
Captain
Captain

If Watkins goes to the Raiders at 1.5.......

Postby dawgs4life » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:22 am

What happens to the value of the 1.1 fantasy pick if Sammy Watkins goes to the Oakland Raiders in the NFL draft? Just speculation at this point but fun to hear some opinions?

1standgoal
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: If Watkins goes to the Raiders at 1.5.......

Postby 1standgoal » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:30 am

It depends if they get a decent quarterback at some point. its possible that he could be in a "lone star on the team" situation like Larry Fitzgerald was for years on the cardinals. But the raiders have a lot of cap room to play with starting this season. I wouldn't be shocked if they surprised a lot of people this year.

As for the value of the number 1 pick. I guess it gains or loses value relative to whatever person values it the most.
2015 League Champion
12 Team Standard League
QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/TE/FLEX/DEF/K

TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TommyL31 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:59 am

I think it loses some trade value but the pick is still Watkins in my opinion.
"whiners kill more leagues than incompetent trades" - clarion contrarion

DFFL - Flea Flickers, 12 team PPR dynasty
Legends of the Gridiron - Boss Hawgs, 12 team PPR Superflex Salary Cap league
USFL - Memphis Showboats, 12 team PPR Superflex Tiered Salary Cap League

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:01 am

I dont think the 1.01 loses any value at all. The effects of a poor landing spot has little negative effect on the 1.01 or Sammy Watkins value imo. If a person says they draft talent over situation then scoffs at the Raiders as a landing spot - well then I think that just may be the definition of hypocrisy.

Imo, Watkins is in a tier of his own at this point in time. The combine could change things a bit. We'll see. But - I doubt the Raiders will suck forever, they do have a lot of cap room and I assume they will be making some changes and adding some talent throughout their organization. To be honest when you think about it - Watkins - if he were to land in Oakland would certainly be their most talented offensive player - so that can't be a bad thing can it? Considering his skills and how good he is with screens and at yac - he will be good no matter where he lands.

Remember how HORRIBLE of a landing spot DET was, or Cinci was for Calvin and AJG? Talent over situation and don't over think it. Too many do imo.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

DYNOmite
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DYNOmite » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:07 am

How bad is the Raiders' passing game:

The best season by the a Raiders WR since Randy Moss in 2005 is Darius Heyward Bey in 2011.

I think it does hurt Watkins value if they don't make a major upgrade at QB, although I think he's still the 1.01 and good enough to put up 70/1000/7 with a lousy QB.

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:17 am

The Raiders will sign Michael Vick.
Sentenced to Redraft Duty

Wentz / Goff
Jacobs / Mack / Coleman / Mixon
OBJ / Adams / Thielen / Sutton / Gallup / Davis
Ertz / Henry

joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Postby joeday » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:20 am

JFever wrote:I dont think the 1.01 loses any value at all. The effects of a poor landing spot has little negative effect on the 1.01 or Sammy Watkins value imo. If a person says they draft talent over situation then scoffs at the Raiders as a landing spot - well then I think that just may be the definition of hypocrisy.

Imo, Watkins is in a tier of his own at this point in time. The combine could change things a bit. We'll see. But - I doubt the Raiders will suck forever, they do have a lot of cap room and I assume they will be making some changes and adding some talent throughout their organization. To be honest when you think about it - Watkins - if he were to land in Oakland would certainly be their most talented offensive player - so that can't be a bad thing can it? Considering his skills and how good he is with screens and at yac - he will be good no matter where he lands.

Remember how HORRIBLE of a landing spot DET was, or Cinci was for Calvin and AJG? Talent over situation and don't over think it. Too many do imo.
This.
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – πŸ†
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – πŸ₯ˆ

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – πŸ†
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – πŸ₯ˆ

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

eNdblu
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby eNdblu » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:22 am

This is dynasty, isn't it?
Why does it matter who his QB is today when he could have a completely different QB tomorrow?
As long as you believe in his talent, take him
16tm SC w/ tiered PPR (0.25/0.5/1.0) 1QB 1RB 1WR 1TE 3FLX
QB - Burrow(2), Tannehill(1)
RB - Taylor(2), Williams(3), Gibson(2), Dillon(2)
WR - Godwin(5), Metcalf(1), Pittman(2), Mingo(5), Boutte(5), Metchie(4), Renfrow(1), Mims(3)
TE - Kelce(1), Pitts(3), Kincaid(5), Njoku(3), Gesicki(5), Thomas[WSH](2)

16tm TE PPR Prem 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2OFLX 1DL 2LB 1DB 1DFLX
QB - Murray, Winston
RB - CEH, Penny, Sanders, Mattison, Wilson
WR - Hill, McLaurin, Jeudy, JuJu, Ridley, Edwards, Ruggs
TE - Goedert, Johnson[NOS]
DL - Young LB - Kirksey, Tranquill, Walker[GB], Walker[ATL] DB - Sneed

Bronx Bomber
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Bronx Bomber » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:35 am

I think almost any QB can throw a screen pass. And we know how productive he can be on those...

TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TommyL31 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:30 pm

JFever wrote:I dont think the 1.01 loses any value at all. The effects of a poor landing spot has little negative effect on the 1.01 or Sammy Watkins value imo. If a person says they draft talent over situation then scoffs at the Raiders as a landing spot - well then I think that just may be the definition of hypocrisy.

I'm not saying he drops to 1.2 and I firmly believe talent over situation but situation is still meaningful. Situations can change but you can't tell me you wouldn't prefer him to get drafted somewhere like Carolina that has a good QB with few options at WR other than an aging Steve Smith.

I think the thing that is particularly bad about Oakland which is different than Cinci when AJ was drafted (although probably not too different from Detroit when Calvin was drafted) is that they're not just a bad TEAM, they're a bad ORGANIZATION. They need help and I have less confidence in them than I do in most other franchises that they are competent enough to fix them.

Talent over situation, to me, doesn't mean situation is meaningless. It just means that talent is more important.

RonW15
Role Player
Role Player

Postby RonW15 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:38 pm

I agree in dynasty things change year to year, draft the best player and hope the situation improves. Also don't sleep on Mike Evans, Watkins is very clearly the 1.1, but Evans is a very good 1.2
12 Team 20 man Roster PPR League
QBs R. Wilson, Kaepernick, Locker
RBs A. Morris, Hunter, R. Williams
WRs AJ Green, D. Thomas, V. Jackson, V. Brown, K. Wright, Givens, A.J. Jenkins, Kerley, Quick, T.Young
TEs Fleener, Gonzalez
PK Barth
DEF Jets
2009 Champion, 2011 Champion, 2012 Runner Up

QuintorrisLopezJones
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby QuintorrisLopezJones » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:51 pm

TommyL31 wrote:

I'm not saying he drops to 1.2 and I firmly believe talent over situation but situation is still meaningful. Situations can change but you can't tell me you wouldn't prefer him to get drafted somewhere like Carolina that has a good QB with few options at WR other than an aging Steve Smith.

I think the thing that is particularly bad about Oakland which is different than Cinci when AJ was drafted (although probably not too different from Detroit when Calvin was drafted) is that they're not just a bad TEAM, they're a bad ORGANIZATION. They need help and I have less confidence in them than I do in most other franchises that they are competent enough to fix them.

Talent over situation, to me, doesn't mean situation is meaningless. It just means that talent is more important.
I'm not going to argue the point about OAK being a bad Organization, but thats EXACTLY what the Bengals and Lions were too. Both were complete jokes of franchises.

I don't think Watkins loses value, I think with an elite WR prospect like him, its almost assumed that his situation wont be great. I think its more that if he doesnt go to Oak, and if a team like Det or Car traded up to get him, that he would gain a lot of value.
10 Team League .5 PPR QB, 3WR, 2RB, TE, 2FLEX, K, DEF
QB: Brees, Big Ben, Watson
WR: Julio Jones, AJ Green, Alshon Jeffery, DeVante Parker,Sammy Watkins, Michael Crabtree, Agholor
RB: Le'Veon Bell, Todd Gurley, Fournette, Lynch, Conner
TE: Travis Kelce , Hooper, Doyle
K: Bryant
DEF: JAX

TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TommyL31 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:28 pm

The Bengals weren't a joke of a franchise. They were one year removed from a 10 win season in which they made the playoffs. They were definitely in transition because Chad Johnson was slowing down but they were an ok franchise.

But you're completely right about the Lions and you can even throw the Blackmon/Jags situation in there. A good WR will produce more often than not but I still think situation AFFECTS value even if it doesn't drastically change value.

QuintorrisLopezJones
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby QuintorrisLopezJones » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:40 pm

TommyL31 wrote:The Bengals weren't a joke of a franchise. They were one year removed from a 10 win season in which they made the playoffs. They were definitely in transition because Chad Johnson was slowing down but they were an ok franchise.

But you're completely right about the Lions and you can even throw the Blackmon/Jags situation in there. A good WR will produce more often than not but I still think situation AFFECTS value even if it doesn't drastically change value.
Regarding the value, what I meant is, at least in my mind, his value now is based off of him having a "bad" situation. That his value would increase if he got put into an ideal situation, but cant really decrease because right now its assumed that hes going to a bad team, and that he doesn't have a team yet.

Outside of that 1 season, and their recent history since, they were 100% a joke of a franchise. They were one of the biggest jokes in the league. They had either 4 or 5 wins, im not looking up the number, both in the season before and after that 10 win season. Not to mention, only 1 winning season before that since 1990, whenever the Carson Palmer torn acl playoff game was, 2005/6? OK sorry I wont hijack this and make it about the Bengals, was just about the perception of a bad situation.
10 Team League .5 PPR QB, 3WR, 2RB, TE, 2FLEX, K, DEF
QB: Brees, Big Ben, Watson
WR: Julio Jones, AJ Green, Alshon Jeffery, DeVante Parker,Sammy Watkins, Michael Crabtree, Agholor
RB: Le'Veon Bell, Todd Gurley, Fournette, Lynch, Conner
TE: Travis Kelce , Hooper, Doyle
K: Bryant
DEF: JAX

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:30 pm

I think this question should really be asking:

Is Sammy Watkins truly an elite talent?
Is his talent good enough to offset situation?
Sentenced to Redraft Duty

Wentz / Goff
Jacobs / Mack / Coleman / Mixon
OBJ / Adams / Thielen / Sutton / Gallup / Davis
Ertz / Henry