Proper "Punishment" For Teams Who Don't Trim Rosters?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Proper "Punishment" For Teams Who Don't Trim Rosters?

Postby MEuRaH » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:57 am

I'm one of 3 commissioners in a 72-team dynasty league.

There are still 10 teams that aren't under the roster limit of 28.

The normal roster carries 28 "Active" players, with 2 IR spots, and 4 Taxi Squad spots, for a total of 34 players.

9 of the 10 teams exceed the limit because of Taxi and/or IR spots.

One team exceeds the limit because he made trades, and his roster somehow swelled to 30 active players.

We were considering dumping their Taxi & IR players at first, but some of those guys are pretty valuable.

Also suggested suspending their 4th round rookie draft pick...

Any other thoughts? How do other leagues go about enforcing this rule?
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

Butt Liqueur
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Proper "Punishment" For Teams Who Don't Trim Rosters?

Postby Butt Liqueur » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:55 am

My league doesn't have taxi squads, but we do have 2 IR spots. While it may be late for you to do it this year, I set a hard deadline for the league that the IR needed to be cleared by the Monday following the Super Bowl. Any players that remained on their IR would be dropped from their roster and become a free agent. Only one team didn't make roster moves to clear their IR and they only ended up losing LaRod Stephens-Howling, but still it's the principle. Whatever punishment you make (if you don't already have one in place) make it a hard deadline with no excuses. For your league, a 4th round pick seems like a minimal punishment for clearly violating league rules (if they have already been stated/are in place). If you're set on draft picks being surrendered, possibly a 2nd round pick for exceeding roster limits or start with a 4th for your first player over the limit and then make them surrender a 3rd for their second player and so on. Either way, make sure you have this sorted out for next season

16 Team, PPR
(1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 FLEX)
QB: J. Cutler, M. Mariota, M. Cassel, C. Henne, A. McCarron, D. Fales
RB: J. Bell, F. Gore, R. Bush, D. Williams, R. Helu, L. Dunbar, J. Allen, K. Williams, C. Artis-Payne
WR: J. Jones (ATL), J. Nelson, A. Hawkins, C. Johnson (MIN), A. Robinson, R. Randle, K. Thompkins, B. Ellington, H. Douglas, D. Harris, M. Campanaro, J. Hardy, J. Saunders, D. Moore, I. Blakeney, T. Lippett
TE: C. Clay, A. Quarless, A. Sefarian-Jenkins, J. Cumberland, W. Saxton

Draft Picks: 2016 2 3rds, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th

DLFiend
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DLFiend » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:20 am

Just out of curiosity, how does a 72-team league work?

CrimsonKodiak
Starter
Starter

Postby CrimsonKodiak » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:12 pm

DLFiend wrote:Just out of curiosity, how does a 72-team league work?
what's the point of a 72 team league? I'm not trying to be sarcastic just curious as to the what benefit having 72 teams and 3 commissioners brings.

I'm not surprised you are having owner management issues in a league with 72 people. most businesses don't have that many people
DLF Premium league (QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, W/R/T, W/R/T) PPR
QB - Brady, Carr, Hoyer, Lynch
RB - CJA, Miller, Langford, Henry, Vereen, J. Allen, McCluster, Darkwa
WR - Sanders, Woods, Funchess, Jo Brown, Hogan, Ph. Cooper, Heyward-Bey, Wright, Marquess Wilson, Hunter, Goodwin, Fuller
TE - Gronkowski, Ebron, Chandler, Boyle

2017 1,2,3

tackling dummies
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby tackling dummies » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:53 pm

What are the current rules?

clarion contrarion
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby clarion contrarion » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:46 pm

i would send 1 final email telling them of your intention to cut the requisite number of players and awhich guys you will cut
(obviously bottom of the roster guys ...not starters ) . I would also post it to the league message board w/o the player names then give 24 or 48 hours whatever you deem to be fair then tell them the cuts are binding and irrevocable, They can make the cuts themselves prior to the deadline but I would then inform the league that players will lose a draft pick for every player over the limit they are on future deadlines and that you will go as far into the future as necessary to implement the punishment.
sometimes you have to be the bad guy when you are commish!
.....this has been a public service announcement from forum superstar clarion contrarion
QB luck- driskell
WR ant brown evans c davis golladay godwin gordon j washington doctson watson lazard patrick henderson
RB mixon cohen chubb aaron jones hunt malcolm brown
TE eifert howard njoku
K tucker DEF pittsburgh chicago
2012 , 2014 2015 2016 2017 & 2018 ACDL Champion 5 IN A ROW 6 in 7 years- now that is dynasty!
2013 ACDL runner up
2013 2014 2017 & 2018 (Undefeated 15-0 ) WORILDS OF HURT CHAMPION
2010 2014 & 2015 7 Rings for Steeltown CHAMPION 2011 & 2013 7 rings runner up
2018 Experts Dynasty League Champion
there is no after football
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
— Leonardo da Vinci

eNdblu
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby eNdblu » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:01 pm

I would cut the most recent adds to each of the teams that take them over the limit if they dont comply by the rules by the specified date
16tm SC w/ tiered PPR (0.25/0.5/1.0) 1QB 1RB 1WR 1TE 3FLX
QB - Burrow(2), Tannehill(1)
RB - Taylor(2), Williams(3), Gibson(2), Dillon(2)
WR - Godwin(5), Metcalf(1), Pittman(2), Mingo(5), Boutte(5), Metchie(4), Renfrow(1), Mims(3)
TE - Kelce(1), Pitts(3), Kincaid(5), Njoku(3), Gesicki(5), Thomas[WSH](2)

16tm TE PPR Prem 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2OFLX 1DL 2LB 1DB 1DFLX
QB - Murray, Winston
RB - CEH, Penny, Sanders, Mattison, Wilson
WR - Hill, McLaurin, Jeudy, JuJu, Ridley, Edwards, Ruggs
TE - Goedert, Johnson[NOS]
DL - Young LB - Kirksey, Tranquill, Walker[GB], Walker[ATL] DB - Sneed

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:51 pm

I notice that you have a team over the limit because of recent trades.... in my league, all teams must be cut down to the limit before trading opens - this type of restraint can add motivation to comply - one because you want to make trades, and two because you don't want everyone pisssed at you for holding things up.

There are many possibilities for deciding who to cut, and that is up to you - either most recent additions, IR and taxi players, or commissioner's discretion - but send a warning email to the owners, give them a deadline, and tell them that you will cut players X, Y, and Z if they don't make the cuts. Or don't even tell them which players you'll be cutting, let them sweat that out.

-oo-

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:23 pm

DLFiend wrote:Just out of curiosity, how does a 72-team league work?
CrimsonKodiak wrote:what's the point of a 72 team league?
6 divisions of 12 teams each. Each division has their own set of players, their own season, and their own 4-team playoff. The remaining teams play each other for bigger prizes. The point is to increase the prize pool from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars, while keeping the fee to play relatively small.
ULTIMATE RB GURUs
2021 RB Injury Guru: abloom "Akers will suffer an ACL injury in the preseason and does not play during the season."
2021 RB Guru: qazxswedcvfrtgbnhyuj & McCafsteez -- Winners of the Antonio Gibson Wager!

REAL RB GURUs:
CubfanAA - Anteaters - Ice - JJRules - TheNuts - jtk1234 - Bronco Billy - YouMightDieTryin - hockeyBjj - honcho55 - murphysxm - Patsfan86 - jman3134

MEuRaH
Legend
Legend

Postby MEuRaH » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:23 pm

eNdblu wrote:I would cut the most recent adds to each of the teams that take them over the limit if they dont comply by the rules by the specified date
This is the best answer I read on here. I'm going to suggest it.

EDIT: There are only 3 teams left that need to trim their rosters. The due date is the 15th. Thanks for the advice, everyone!
ULTIMATE RB GURUs

REAL RB GURUs:

MARKinMI
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby MARKinMI » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:11 pm

All of my leagues use blind bidding for waivers. If teams miss a cutdown date they are fined 25% of their yearly waiver budget. BUT this is in the bylaws and they all know about it. IMO you shouldn't just enact a punishment without people knowing it exists. Your first step should be to add whatever punishment you decide to your league bylaws and make everyone aware of it. If your league is on MFL you should also click the option that disallows trades that puts teams over the roster limit.