Brandon Bostick

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
TryingToWin
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Brandon Bostic

Postby TryingToWin » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:41 pm

captain howdy wrote:
DJB wrote:With Finley hurt, great chance for Bostic t o show what he can do next week!
How do we know Bostic is the next man up?
We don't. My money is on one of the other guys starting next week because they have probably at least practiced with Rodgers before. The veteran TEs definitely know the playbook.

captain howdy
All Pro
All Pro

Postby captain howdy » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:05 pm

TryingToWin wrote:
captain howdy wrote:
DJB wrote:With Finley hurt, great chance for Bostic t o show what he can do next week!
We don't. My money is on one of the other guys starting next week because they have probably at least practiced with Rodgers before. The veteran TEs definitely know the playbook.
That is what I was thinking. Probably Quarless..Quarless is not very good, but I doubt the Packers thrust any type of big role on Bostick. At this point, I'd be ecstatic with 3 targets and OK with 1 target.

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:37 pm

I've had Bostic rostered off and on for the last year now. Not sure if there is anything here but considering who his QB is, + his basketball ground + his athletic ability + a potential opening at the position longterm and it's enough for me to be very intrigued. I'm stashing him just to see how it pans out, because if it does work out it'll probably be in a big way even though the odds aren't very likely.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:22 pm

captain howdy wrote:
I don't think we know that he is next up, but with Finley's injury and along with his free agent status, my guess is that they want to give a guy like Bostic a chance to see what he can do. It might severely impact how they handle Finley in the offseason.

Just an guess.
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:00 am

The Packers are one of those teams that don't just start playing rookies & new guys til they prove they know the system. If Finely misses time, I'd expect Bostic to see a slow increase in snaps. Quarless sucks but he's a veteran. He'll play more first.

If you've got roster space & patience, it sure seems like he's got a chance to be the TE1 next year in a great passing game.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Patmos
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Patmos » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:24 am

If the soon-to-be free agent Finley and the Packers decide to break up at the conclusion of the season, converted wide receiver and 2012 practice squad darling Brandon Bostick is the most dynamic choice to replace him on the roster.

The 6'3" 245-pound speedster blazed his 40-yard dash in 4.49 seconds and notched a 36-inch vertical jump at his pro day. For comparison's sake, those measurables would have been best and second-best among tight ends at this year's NFL combine.

After working out and not getting a contract offer from the Jets, Bostick made it all the way to the final cut down in Green Bay last year. Wasting no time (and in a fairly obvious sign that he knew he had a significant talent) GM Ted Thompson signed Bostick to the practice squad as soon as he could. And Green Bay's new "move" tight end did not disappoint. While toiling on the scout team all season, and being asked to play the roles of Pro Bowl tight ends like the New Orleans Saints' Jimmy Graham and Vernon Davis of the San Francisco 49ers, Bostick gave many of his coaches whiplash from turning their heads so much.

Perhaps the biggest roadblock to success in the NFL though is gaining an opportunity. Fortunately for Bostick, after Finley, Green Bay's tight end depth chart is littered with underwhelming options.
This is a condensed version of an article I found from May 7th. I picked him up last week and had planned to hold him hoping Finley would leave next year. I'm certainly going to hold him now...
aka Indy Speedway in the Lead Dog Championship League

pack4ever22
All Pro
All Pro

Postby pack4ever22 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:50 am

Pac_Eddy wrote:The Packers are one of those teams that don't just start playing rookies & new guys til they prove they know the system. If Finely misses time, I'd expect Bostic to see a slow increase in snaps. Quarless sucks but he's a veteran. He'll play more first.

If you've got roster space & patience, it sure seems like he's got a chance to be the TE1 next year in a great passing game.

I'm going to disagree with you on two fronts here. First off, Brandon Bostic is a 2nd year player with the Packers and does know the system, he's still raw though. And secondly, the Packers are starting more rookies than any team in the league right now, so they are, and always have been, very willing to play rookies over veterans. With that said, I do expect Quarless to be the primary replacement for Finley for now.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:15 am

pack4ever22 wrote:
Pac_Eddy wrote:The Packers are one of those teams that don't just start playing rookies & new guys til they prove they know the system. If Finely misses time, I'd expect Bostic to see a slow increase in snaps. Quarless sucks but he's a veteran. He'll play more first.

I'm going to disagree with you on two fronts here. First off, Brandon Bostic is a 2nd year player with the Packers and does know the system, he's still raw though. And secondly, the Packers are starting more rookies than any team in the league right now, so they are, and always have been, very willing to play rookies over veterans. With that said, I do expect Quarless to be the primary replacement for Finley for now.
Good points. But I think the Pack has had their hand forced into starting rookies by injury & ineptitude. I'm sure most teams are in that situation at times. Seems like they have more injuries than most teams...

The good news is that Bostic has had snaps in four games this year from what I can tell. Easier to start ramping up than from zero.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

barrow
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby barrow » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:28 pm

Can we get the thread title changed? His name's Bostick, not Bostic.

Anyways, I attached my car to the Bostick hype train after the Cobb/Jones injuries in hopes of him being used. That was with Finley in, now that Finley is out I'm full steam ahead.

Rotoworld posted an update today:
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/825 ... on-bostick
ESPN suggests the Packers could try to use TE Brandon Bostick for some of the seam routes Jermichael Finley ran.
Bostick was a wideout at Newberry College and spent last season on the practice squad. He added some girth so he can play tight end in the NFL and now goes 6'3/250. He got eight snaps against the Browns after Finley went down, but didn't see a target. Bostick is a true "move" tight end and Finley is out indefinitely, so extreme deep leaguers and Dynasty owners should be monitoring his progress. Oct 22 - 8:59 AM

DYNOmite
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Brandon Bostick

Postby DYNOmite » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:44 pm

Unless Bostick bombs, he appears to be Finley's replacement next year.

Krang
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Krang » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:20 am

I did some reading up on this kid so I could formulate an opinion on the situation (had never heard of him until this thread started), and I'll admit there seems to be room for potential. Converted WR who put up reasonable stats in college, albeit at an inferior level of competition. His size doesn't seem ideal for the traditional TE position - he's 6'3" 250ish - but I do see a trend towards the "smaller" so-called joker/move types, for which his size is about right, and he's got some speed.

Ultimately, it's typically VERY difficult for division II athletes to transition to the NFL, so I wouldn't be expecting Bostick to come out with ballz on fire production. That said, I have never been a fan of Quarless and think he's not the answer, so Bostick should at least get a few targets while Rodgers feels him out to see what the kid's got.

Patmos
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Patmos » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:07 pm

FYI, Jordan Reed is 6'2" 235, so I'm good with Bostick's size. Agree that the concern is the D2 experience, but opportunity may trump - worth a shot given his competition!
aka Indy Speedway in the Lead Dog Championship League

WZA
All Pro
All Pro

Postby WZA » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Patmos wrote:FYI, Jordan Reed is 6'2" 235, so I'm good with Bostick's size. Agree that the concern is the D2 experience, but opportunity may trump - worth a shot given his competition!
Didn't Joe Flacco play at Delaware? Tons of examples of D2 guys having great careers. Agree that it is less common than guys coming out of the big schools.

cremrock
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby cremrock » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:32 pm

The only TE I can think of in recent memory from D-II with some fantasy success was Kevin Boss. That said, I'm interested in seeing what Bostick's got. With the notable exception of running back (till this year) Green Bay seems to know what they're doing with their back of roster skill guys.

WZA
All Pro
All Pro

Postby WZA » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:40 pm

cremrock wrote:The only TE I can think of in recent memory from D-II with some fantasy success was Kevin Boss. That said, I'm interested in seeing what Bostick's got. With the notable exception of running back (till this year) Green Bay seems to know what they're doing with their back of roster skill guys.
Shannon Sharpe

Arguably the best TE to ever play the game.