Advice for expanding rosters post draft

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
CruzinToVictory
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Advice for expanding rosters post draft

Postby CruzinToVictory » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:20 am

Hey guys,

I got my guys into dynasty this year, and we did our draft about 2 weeks ago. It's an auction/salary cap league with a $500 limit. Here's my issue.

We hosted the draft itself through Yahoo because of their FAR superior auction software, but it only allowed us to draft a maximum of 30 players. We start 17 guys (QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/Flex/Flex/PK/DL/DL/LB/LB/DB/DB/IDP) and therefore have only 13 bench spots. This just doesn't seem like enough to me in a league like this.

I thought about expanding rosters and allowing people to bid on new players, but the problem I think of is that some people have spent a lot of their money (in fact one guy spent all $500 already).

The only other thing I could think of is adding more cap money to bid with, but that might have too much of an effect on the values of players already drafted.

Anyone have any thoughts or are we just screwed?
Daily Fantasy Writer and Product Coordinator for RotoGrinders.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Re: Advice for expanding rosters post draft

Postby Pac_Eddy » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:50 am

Make the last 13 bench spots be $1 guys only. That would make it a draft to fill them. Odds are pretty good that only a few owners have more than a $1 max bid anyway.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

CruzinToVictory
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby CruzinToVictory » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:33 am

Thanks for your response, interesting idea. So say if I were to expand the rosters by 10 spots, I would make it a $510 cap and just do a snake draft for those 10 players.

Of course this is all assuming all my players are okay with it. I want to make sure this is as fair as possible, but I strongly feel like adding depth to the rosters will go a long way to making the league successful.

Any other ideas?

dlf_jules
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby dlf_jules » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:39 am

Pac_Eddy wrote:Make the last 13 bench spots be $1 guys only. That would make it a draft to fill them. Odds are pretty good that only a few owners have more than a $1 max bid anyway.
This is how I'd go too.
Download the 2019 Cohort Report for free today!

Euclid
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Euclid » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:44 am

Wait until next season. People have budgeted for a particular set of rules and their strategy highly depends on that budget. Even giving everyone an equal amount of cap space works against some particular strategies. Giving people a year would allow for enough adjustments to be made.

TXPackFan
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby TXPackFan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:03 am

Euclid wrote:Wait until next season. People have budgeted for a particular set of rules and their strategy highly depends on that budget. Even giving everyone an equal amount of cap space works against some particular strategies. Giving people a year would allow for enough adjustments to be made.
I agree with this. It hurts your depth now, but it is the fairest way to go I think.
12 Team, .5PPR, 6pt TD
QB, RB, WR, TE, R/W, W/T, R/W/T, K, DEF
QB-Wilson, Cousins
RB-Gurley, McCoy, Lynch, Abdullah, Ellington, Gore, Perine, Mack, Kelley, Darkwa
WR-Green, Mike Thomas, Demaryius Thomas, Thielen, R. Matthews, Higgins, Ross, A. Steweart
TE-Doyle, Smith
2018-1, 2

CruzinToVictory
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby CruzinToVictory » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:40 am

Euclid wrote:Wait until next season. People have budgeted for a particular set of rules and their strategy highly depends on that budget. Even giving everyone an equal amount of cap space works against some particular strategies. Giving people a year would allow for enough adjustments to be made.
You're probably right. Sucks right now because people will have to take cap hits to drop players this year, but it's the fairest way to do it. I'll probably add 10 roster spots (for a total of 40 - 17 starters and 23 bench) next offseason and let them fill them via free agent auctions.

Thanks for all the advice guys I really appreciate it.

Euclid
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Euclid » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:51 pm

CruzinToVictory wrote:
You're probably right. Sucks right now because people will have to take cap hits to drop players this year, but it's the fairest way to do it. I'll probably add 10 roster spots (for a total of 40 - 17 starters and 23 bench) next offseason and let them fill them via free agent auctions.

Thanks for all the advice guys I really appreciate it.
YW

I suppose if a unanimous vote agreeing on the 1 buck/player idea were to happen, then that could fly. Even if one person doesn't like the idea though, it starts the league off on a bad note because that person will at least feel oppressed by a new rule without enough time to adjust.

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:14 pm

How are you going to do free agency? It seems crazy that someone would spend all of his dough in the auction and not save any back for free agency, if the players picked up on waivers cost money.

anyway, if you don't have a plan in place already for this season, then you should really wait until next season to fix the problem, since as someone else pointed out, the owners drafted based on the set of rules you set forth.

However, if free agents don't cost anything, then just expand the roster size gradually during the season to allow people to build roster size slowly that way.
-oo-

whatadai
Captain
Captain

Postby whatadai » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:25 pm

I would be annoyed as an owner who likes to plan out his budget far in advance. I would wait until next off-season.
10 Team .5 PPR Salary Cap Dynasty (Starters in Bold)
HC: B. Belichick, D. Quinn
QB: A. Rodgers, D. Carr, N. Foles
HB: L. McCoy, A. Foster, T. Mason, B. Sankey, I. Crowell, C. Ivory, S. Ridley
WR: D. Bryant, D. Thomas, D. Hopkins, A. Cooper, A. Robinson, V. Cruz, T. Smith, C. Johnson, B. Quick, J. Gordon
TE: R. Gronkowski
PK: N. Novak, D. Carpenter
PN: J. Hekker
DT: G. Atkins, S. Marks
DE: R. Quinn, O. Vernon, C. Johnson, J. Hughes, V. Beasley, J. Smith
LB: J. Mayo, B. Cushing, J. Freeman, C. Barwin, V. Rey, B. Orakpo, A. Okafor, D. Washington
CB: J. McCourty, A. Verner, B. Browner
S: E. Weddle, T. McDonald, T. Gipson, D. Bucannon
OL: T. Armstead, S. Vollmer, K. Holmes, T. Frederick, M. Unger, J. Asamoah, J. Sitton, A. Smith, J. Troutman, M. Yanda, L. Warford

PS: RB J. Allen, WR P. Dorsett, WR K. Bell, WR B. Coleman, DE J. Sheard, DE D. Fowler, DE L. Webster, LB S. Anthony

FiremanEd
Legend
Legend

Postby FiremanEd » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:45 pm

No way you can adjust this mid-draft. Either has to be done once done through blind bid dollars or next year through free agent/rookie draft. Changing anything now would lead to upset owners and hurt the credibility and longevity of your league IMO.

CruzinToVictory
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby CruzinToVictory » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:25 am

Yep, luckily this is a league of close friends so we were able to have a reasonable discussion about it. We've decided to wait until next offseason, where we'll expand the rosters right after the season ends and people can plan for the free agency draft next year.

As for how we pick up free agents, it's blind bidding with salary cap dollars, and I was just as shocked as you when that guy used every dollar he had. He said he's "just gonna trade away one of the higher value guys to make room" but I'm not sure he realizes how hard that might be in a league like this. We're all new to dynasty (I'm in another league but it also just started this year) and in the past this group has done auction redrafts, so I think some guys are stuck in that mentality, even though I warned multiple times that it's very different and to prepare.

Anyway he put shorter contracts on some guys so he might be hurting for waivers this year, but should be okay long term.

Even though I know everyone I try to be as fair of a commish as possible, so I'll be very careful to give everyone ample time to plan for something like this.

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:27 am

FiremanEd wrote:No way you can adjust this mid-draft. Either has to be done once done through blind bid dollars or next year through free agent/rookie draft. Changing anything now would lead to upset owners and hurt the credibility and longevity of your league IMO.
I argee with this to a degree. People paid what they paid for player considering the cap size and roster size. Changing either of them changes the value of every player in the league... after that value has already been determined. More roster spots make players worth a little less. Adding 10 roster spots and only say $10 to the cap, makes every player worth a little less and the majority of players are already locked into their salaries.

CruzinToVictory
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby CruzinToVictory » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:19 am

MR ROURKE wrote:
FiremanEd wrote:No way you can adjust this mid-draft. Either has to be done once done through blind bid dollars or next year through free agent/rookie draft. Changing anything now would lead to upset owners and hurt the credibility and longevity of your league IMO.
I argee with this to a degree. People paid what they paid for player considering the cap size and roster size. Changing either of them changes the value of every player in the league... after that value has already been determined. More roster spots make players worth a little less. Adding 10 roster spots and only say $10 to the cap, makes every player worth a little less and the majority of players are already locked into their salaries.
I agree with this, but if we were to expand rosters/cap we would certainly allow everyone to reassign their contracts since they were just assigned last week. So that isn't as much of a concern, but that said, I completely agree that it effects the value of every other player.

15% of your cap on a player with 30 roster spots is much different than 15% of your cap on a player with 40 roster spots. I really think that waiting until next year will allow people to plan accordingly and prepare some cap space for the extra 10 players next year.

rubber_duck
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby rubber_duck » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:33 am

CruzinToVictory wrote:15% of your cap on a player with 30 roster spots is much different than 15% of your cap on a player with 40 roster spots. I really think that waiting until next year will allow people to plan accordingly and prepare some cap space for the extra 10 players next year.
FWIW: I think waiting until next year is by far the best approach. For any league members that may grumble about the delay this summer, it will be a long forgotten memory by year three.