Brock Osweiler

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Brock Osweiler

Postby ericanadian » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:04 am

I've seen a few people deriding Bronco players on the basis of once Peyton leaves, they'll all lose huge amounts of value. Wasn't this exactly the situation Osweiler was drafted for and being groomed towards? I haven't heard much on him, but I haven't seen any suggestions that his development isn't on track. Did I miss something?
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Brock Osweiler

Postby meineymoe » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:36 am

Osweiler is only 22 years old. I think the Broncos were pretty high on him when the drafted him, with the intention of developing him into their QB of the future. Wouldn't you rather be a QB who has his redshirt season in the NFL rather than in college??

-oo-

TommyL31
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby TommyL31 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:36 am

I'm not sure anyone was ever really that high on him. Wasn't highly rated in the draft last year. I suspect that he isn't the long term answer.
"whiners kill more leagues than incompetent trades" - clarion contrarion

DFFL - Flea Flickers, 12 team PPR dynasty
Legends of the Gridiron - Boss Hawgs, 12 team PPR Superflex Salary Cap league
USFL - Memphis Showboats, 12 team PPR Superflex Tiered Salary Cap League

DYNOmite
All Pro
All Pro

Postby DYNOmite » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:51 am

TommyL31 wrote:I'm not sure anyone was ever really that high on him. Wasn't highly rated in the draft last year. I suspect that he isn't the long term answer.
They didn't use their 2nd on him with the intent for him to be a career backup. Obviously they expect him to take over for Peyton. Whether he can is a different story but he'll get 2-3 years to learn how to play and he'll still be young when he gets the chance.

BPP
Captain
Captain

Postby BPP » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:06 am

TommyL31 wrote:I'm not sure anyone was ever really that high on him. Wasn't highly rated in the draft last year. I suspect that he isn't the long term answer.
He was universally believed to be a second day pick, and a lot of scouts loved the pick for the Broncos. Several mock drafts actually had him picked exactly where he went.

eNdblu
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby eNdblu » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:14 am

ericanadian wrote:I've seen a few people deriding Bronco players on the basis of once Peyton leaves, they'll all lose huge amounts of value. Wasn't this exactly the situation Osweiler was drafted for and being groomed towards? I haven't heard much on him, but I haven't seen any suggestions that his development isn't on track. Did I miss something?
I certainly wouldn't expect the Bronco's the be the same offensively when Peyton eventually retires. I don't think that Osweiler was a highly regarded prospect the same way that Aaron Rodgers was when he was the backup to Favre, so to expect the same type of output that (arguably) the greatest QB to don cleats can do would be crazy talk.

Matt Waldman labeled Osweiler as a "Long Term Project" in his post draft analysis. He's worth a stash if you've got the roster space and can wait it out.
16tm SC w/ tiered PPR (0.25/0.5/1.0) 1QB 1RB 1WR 1TE 3FLX
QB - Burrow(2), Tannehill(1)
RB - Taylor(2), Williams(3), Gibson(2), Dillon(2)
WR - Godwin(5), Metcalf(1), Pittman(2), Mingo(5), Boutte(5), Metchie(4), Renfrow(1), Mims(3)
TE - Kelce(1), Pitts(3), Kincaid(5), Njoku(3), Gesicki(5), Thomas[WSH](2)

16tm TE PPR Prem 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2OFLX 1DL 2LB 1DB 1DFLX
QB - Murray, Winston
RB - CEH, Penny, Sanders, Mattison, Wilson
WR - Hill, McLaurin, Jeudy, JuJu, Ridley, Edwards, Ruggs
TE - Goedert, Johnson[NOS]
DL - Young LB - Kirksey, Tranquill, Walker[GB], Walker[ATL] DB - Sneed

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:37 am

This site has a compilation of many different pre- and draft-day analyses on Osweiler: http://www.milehighreport.com/2012/4/27 ... ing-report

I tend to agree that if he'd stayed in college for his senior season, he would have had that much more game day experience to bring to the pros - and hard telling what that would have done for his draft stock this year. But with the measurables and the stuff he had shown already in his limited snaps, there was apparently enough there to convince at least one team that he was worth a 2nd round pick. Plus, they get to work him in their system for that extra season and not have to move up and spend a first round pick on him this season if he had reached that potential.

-oo-

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:38 am

NickDblU wrote:
ericanadian wrote:I've seen a few people deriding Bronco players on the basis of once Peyton leaves, they'll all lose huge amounts of value. Wasn't this exactly the situation Osweiler was drafted for and being groomed towards? I haven't heard much on him, but I haven't seen any suggestions that his development isn't on track. Did I miss something?
I certainly wouldn't expect the Bronco's the be the same offensively when Peyton eventually retires. I don't think that Osweiler was a highly regarded prospect the same way that Aaron Rodgers was when he was the backup to Favre, so to expect the same type of output that (arguably) the greatest QB to don cleats can do would be crazy talk.

Matt Waldman labeled Osweiler as a "Long Term Project" in his post draft analysis. He's worth a stash if you've got the roster space and can wait it out.
True, and if I had Decker or whoever they get in the slot, I'd be worried. However, I've seen this logic applied to RBs and I would assume some thing this way with Thomas, neither of which make any sense to me.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:49 am

I believe they drafted him to be Peyton's successor. How many Aarons and Peytons are there? I dont think anyone expects him to be Peyton, just good enough to win ball games. Boy, what a great teacher to learn from.
Sentenced to Redraft Duty

Wentz / Goff
Jacobs / Mack / Coleman / Mixon
OBJ / Adams / Thielen / Sutton / Gallup / Davis
Ertz / Henry

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:00 pm

georg013 wrote:I believe they drafted him to be Peyton's successor. How many Aarons and Peytons are there? I dont think anyone expects him to be Peyton, just good enough to win ball games. Boy, what a great teacher to learn from.
Agreed. I don't know that there were that many folks who thought Aaron Rodgers would be as good as, or as it turned out, better than Brett Favre.

-oo-

will6779
All Pro
All Pro

Postby will6779 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:05 pm

Thats pretty much the way i took it. He was very raw comming out of college but with great physical skills. Im sure that they will bring in competition once peyton leaves. He may develop into a starter. Ive never believed having a qb develope as a backup for more than a year was a good thing tho. They usually have to play to get better.
12 team, ppr,idp league. 35 man roster, 5 ts.
Start- qb,2-3rb,3-4wr,1-2te,pk, 2-3 dl, 2-3 lb, 2-3 db
Scoring- all tds 6 pts, lb&db 2/t, 4/sack. Dl 3/t 5/ sack

QB- luck, tannehill, mallet
RB- spiller,sproles,mathews,ingram p thomas, woodhead, f jackson, k davis, freeman
WR- brandon marshall d thomas,cobb,amendola , bolden, landry, bryant, watkins, carter
TE- Olsen, reed, ertz, housler, escobar
PK- Vinatary
DL- , quinn, dunlap, hankins
LB- Kueckly, bowman, greenway, v miller , ogletree, bostic, kirksey
DB- Beathea, weddel

whatadai
Captain
Captain

Postby whatadai » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:09 pm

will6779 wrote: Ive never believed having a qb develope as a backup for more than a year was a good thing tho. They usually have to play to get better.
Even if it's behind Manning? 2-3 years behind Manning and then playing doesn't sound so bad. Manning entering the 2014 season at 38 years old with his neck history just sounds scary...let alone 2015 at 39...

Rodgers also sat for 3 years behind a great QB too and look how he's playing now.
10 Team .5 PPR Salary Cap Dynasty (Starters in Bold)
HC: B. Belichick, D. Quinn
QB: A. Rodgers, D. Carr, N. Foles
HB: L. McCoy, A. Foster, T. Mason, B. Sankey, I. Crowell, C. Ivory, S. Ridley
WR: D. Bryant, D. Thomas, D. Hopkins, A. Cooper, A. Robinson, V. Cruz, T. Smith, C. Johnson, B. Quick, J. Gordon
TE: R. Gronkowski
PK: N. Novak, D. Carpenter
PN: J. Hekker
DT: G. Atkins, S. Marks
DE: R. Quinn, O. Vernon, C. Johnson, J. Hughes, V. Beasley, J. Smith
LB: J. Mayo, B. Cushing, J. Freeman, C. Barwin, V. Rey, B. Orakpo, A. Okafor, D. Washington
CB: J. McCourty, A. Verner, B. Browner
S: E. Weddle, T. McDonald, T. Gipson, D. Bucannon
OL: T. Armstead, S. Vollmer, K. Holmes, T. Frederick, M. Unger, J. Asamoah, J. Sitton, A. Smith, J. Troutman, M. Yanda, L. Warford

PS: RB J. Allen, WR P. Dorsett, WR K. Bell, WR B. Coleman, DE J. Sheard, DE D. Fowler, DE L. Webster, LB S. Anthony

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:35 pm

whatadai wrote:
will6779 wrote: Ive never believed having a qb develope as a backup for more than a year was a good thing tho. They usually have to play to get better.
Even if it's behind Manning? 2-3 years behind Manning and then playing doesn't sound so bad. Manning entering the 2014 season at 38 years old with his neck history just sounds scary...let alone 2015 at 39...

Rodgers also sat for 3 years behind a great QB too and look how he's playing now.
This

Wentz / Goff
Ertz / Henry

eNdblu
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby eNdblu » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:36 pm

meineymoe wrote:
georg013 wrote:I believe they drafted him to be Peyton's successor. How many Aarons and Peytons are there? I dont think anyone expects him to be Peyton, just good enough to win ball games. Boy, what a great teacher to learn from.
Agreed. I don't know that there were that many folks who thought Aaron Rodgers would be as good as, or as it turned out, better than Brett Favre.

-oo-
Winning ball games doesn't always mean fantasy success... Joe Flacco wins balls games, yet he's always been somewhere between QB15-20. Up until this season Mark Sanchez was winning ball games, and Mark Sanchez sucks.

A difference between ARod and Osweiller is that ARod was in discussions to be the #1 overall pick that year.. He got passed over and let that fuel him to become one of today's top QBs. I hope Osweiller becomes a great QB, but have any of Peyton's understudy's gone on to do anything in the NFL?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
16tm SC w/ tiered PPR (0.25/0.5/1.0) 1QB 1RB 1WR 1TE 3FLX
QB - Burrow(2), Tannehill(1)
RB - Taylor(2), Williams(3), Gibson(2), Dillon(2)
WR - Godwin(5), Metcalf(1), Pittman(2), Mingo(5), Boutte(5), Metchie(4), Renfrow(1), Mims(3)
TE - Kelce(1), Pitts(3), Kincaid(5), Njoku(3), Gesicki(5), Thomas[WSH](2)

16tm TE PPR Prem 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2OFLX 1DL 2LB 1DB 1DFLX
QB - Murray, Winston
RB - CEH, Penny, Sanders, Mattison, Wilson
WR - Hill, McLaurin, Jeudy, JuJu, Ridley, Edwards, Ruggs
TE - Goedert, Johnson[NOS]
DL - Young LB - Kirksey, Tranquill, Walker[GB], Walker[ATL] DB - Sneed

KMA
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby KMA » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:00 pm

Peyton's understudies never had a real chance at any significant playing time. Furthermore, they weren't added to one day take over. Big difference between serviceable backup and future of the franchise. While the Broncos have little concern over a player's fantasy success, I do believe he can be productive fantasywise despite not being a first round prospect. How are Kaep and Wilson performing these days? Not comparing them but who saw that coming? If you say me, attach the dated link!

Wentz / Goff
Ertz / Henry