Russell Wilson or Colin Kaepernick

This is the spot for player-to-player comparisons.

Who would you rather own in Dynasty leagues?

Russell Wilson
61%
Colin Kaepernick
39%

Total votes: 137

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Re: Russell Wilson or Colin Kaepernick

Postby mullmania » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:38 am

Hype train full speed ahead.

ESPN's Ron Jaworski says Colin Kaepernick "has the ability" to be the best quarterback in the NFL.
Jaws is among the preeminent evaluators of NFL quarterbacks in the analyst game. He notes that Kaepernick has better accuracy than Cam Newton, more size than Robert Griffin III/Russell Wilson and more speed than Andrew Luck. His MLB-caliber pitching arm is as powerful as there is in the game. Jaws also believes Kaepernick will evolve into more of a pocket passer as time goes on, exposing him to less hits. Kaep is the odds-on favorite to win the MVP award in Sunday's Super Bowl at roughly 2-1.

Lumps
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby Lumps » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:50 am

Mullmania wrote:Hype train full speed ahead.

ESPN's Ron Jaworski says Colin Kaepernick "has the ability" to be the best quarterback in the NFL.
Jaws is among the preeminent evaluators of NFL quarterbacks in the analyst game. He notes that Kaepernick has better accuracy than Cam Newton, more size than Robert Griffin III/Russell Wilson and more speed than Andrew Luck. His MLB-caliber pitching arm is as powerful as there is in the game. Jaws also believes Kaepernick will evolve into more of a pocket passer as time goes on, exposing him to less hits. Kaep is the odds-on favorite to win the MVP award in Sunday's Super Bowl at roughly 2-1.

This reads like a car commercial.

Honda civic has more room than corolla. More power than sentra. More cup holders than than mini.

If those traits were the best traits of each quarterback, then yes, it's worth saying. Accuracy is Newton's flaw. Size is the flaw of Griffin and Wilson. Speed is the "flaw" of Luck, though it isn't really.

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:05 am

Going back to the original question, I have these two right next to eachother in my rankings, both on the brink of top 5 but inside of top 10. It's splitting hairs to me on who do you prefer, reminds me of the Doug Martin vs Spiller threads. Just makes me angry that in 1 league backing up Romo I had Flacco and Andy Dalton. Figuring I had a few more years of QB1 play from Romo and those guys I didn't see peaking into QB1 options, I swung for the fences and made deals to bring back Ryan Tannehill and Jake Locker. In essence I was looking for a Russel Wilson or Kaep type of emergence and rolled the dice, didn't exactly work out how I wanted(I hate you Jake Locker) but it makes me mad that I didn't land 1 of those guys in a league where I needed a young QB with upside.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

kmbryant09
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby kmbryant09 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:27 pm

Lumps wrote: This reads like a car commercial.

Honda civic has more room than corolla. More power than sentra. More cup holders than than mini.

If those traits were the best traits of each quarterback, then yes, it's worth saying. Accuracy is Newton's flaw. Size is the flaw of Griffin and Wilson. Speed is the "flaw" of Luck, though it isn't really.
While I see your point, I agree with the message Jaworski is trying to convey. I've actually made, nearly word for word, the same comparisons for Kaepernick and have been blasted on another thread (top10 QB's).

But Newton/RG3/Kaepernick/Luck/Wilson all share in the fact that they can beat you both as a passer and a runner. Some to varying degrees, but the threat is there with all of them. The point is that 4 out of those 5 have 1 glaring "so-called" weakness. RG3 isn't big enough to withstand hits. Wilson is too short to have a long-lasting career (I disagree, though). Luck isn't quite the running threat as the other guys. And Newton has poor accuracy and decision making. If you looked at 6-8 major categories (arm strength, accuracy, decision making, size, durability, explosiveness) and ranked these 5 QB's from 1-5 (1 best, 5 worst), RG3/Luck/Wilson/Newton would rank 4 or 5 in at least 1 category. I don't think Kaepernick would rank lower than 2 or 3 in any of those categories. He's got the strongest arm of the group (google Randy Moss' recent comments). Might be as fast as RG3 with his recent ACL injury. He completed 62.4% of his passes. Only threw 3 INT's in 218 attempts.
10-team/.5 PPR/5 Pts per Passing TD. Start 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2FLEX (rb/wr/te)
QB: J. Hurts, K. Murray
RB: Bi. Robinson, D. Henry, D. Achane, , J. Cook, Z. Charbonnet, T. Chandler, R. Johnson, K. Mitchell, J.K. Dobbins, T. Allgeier, J. McLaughlin, S. Tucker, T. Bigsby
WR: G. Wilson, B. Aiyuk, J. Waddle, T. Higgins,, Z. Flowers, Di. Johnson, K. Toney, A. Iosivas
TE: K. Pitts, E. Engram, C. Okonkwo, G. Dulcich

TheOracle
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby TheOracle » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:31 pm

Lumps wrote:This reads like a car commercial.

Nailed it. If I said "slower than RG3, smaller than Cam, not as developed a passer as Luck or Wilson" you'd say I was way too low on Kaepernick, but all of those things are true, also.
12 team//24 Man Roster//1QB,2RB,4WR,1TE,1RB/WR/TE/1K/1DST//0.5 point PPR//$350 Salary Cap (Salary per year/Years)
QB= Stafford (19/3), Luck (10/1), Locker (1/1),
RB= Forte (39/3), Murray (11/3), Mathews (34/3), Martin (10/1), Tate (11/3), Hunter (6/1), F. Jones (3/1)
WR= Green (21/3), Harvin (27/3), Maclin (33/3), Bowe (23/1) Thomas (11/3), Quick (5/1), Hill (10/1)
TE= Hernandez (19/1), Rudolph (8/1)

12 Team, non-PPR, All TDs 6, QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, TE, RB/WR/TE, DEF, K, 20 man rosters, cut to 14 for Rookie/FA Draft
QB: RG3, Newton, Wilson
RB: Richardson, Martin, Spiller, Charles, L. Miller, L. James,
WR: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Cruz, Marshall, Fitzgerald, Alexander, Hankerson,
TE: Gronk,

zeeshan2
Captain
Captain

Postby zeeshan2 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:19 am

Thought Colin played ok last night. Tale of two halves. 5 yards and a controversial non call from being named the SB MVP. On the other end, he almost had a pick 6 and threw a bad pass that got picked. I noticed he waits for guys to get open before he throws it to them and that's not a good idea.

DynastyZ33
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DynastyZ33 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:31 am

zeeshan2 wrote:Thought Colin played ok last night. Tale of two halves. 5 yards and a controversial non call from being named the SB MVP. On the other end, he almost had a pick 6 and threw a bad pass that got picked. I noticed he waits for guys to get open before he throws it to them and that's not a good idea.
. Agreed if you can't anticipate in this league you can't be a great QB. You can still be successful but you won't be in category of Elite QBs. That's why I'll take luck and Wilson over griffin and kaepernick.
30 man roster 10 team Dynasty- PPR, 6 point passing TDs 2-4RB 2-4WR 1-3TE
QB: R. Wilson, Foles
RB: E. Lacy, C. Michael, J.Stewart, Bradshaw, L. Taliaferro, J. Starks, B. Cunningham
WR: J. Jones, R. Cobb, M. Evans, J. Blackmon, B. Quick, J. Gordon, Marlon Brown, A. Wilson, J. Janis, M. Wilson, J. Huff, J Wright
TE: Kelce, Bennett

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:10 pm

DynastyZ33 wrote:
zeeshan2 wrote:Thought Colin played ok last night. Tale of two halves. 5 yards and a controversial non call from being named the SB MVP. On the other end, he almost had a pick 6 and threw a bad pass that got picked. I noticed he waits for guys to get open before he throws it to them and that's not a good idea.
. Agreed if you can't anticipate in this league you can't be a great QB. You can still be successful but you won't be in category of Elite QBs. That's why I'll take luck and Wilson over griffin and kaepernick.
Agreed but I think it's fair to give Kap a full off season with the first team to see where he stands in terms of reads.

49ersFaithful80
All Pro
All Pro

Postby 49ersFaithful80 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:25 pm

Just because Kaepernick threw that one ball late to Moss (and the analyst mentioned it) doesn't mean he doesn't throw receivers open, I've seen him do it many times this season.

His passer rating was 98.3 this season, and he was the 3rd rated passer according to QBR behind only Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. He will be fine, he's one of the better passers in the league with 10 starts under his belt.

TheOracle
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby TheOracle » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:27 pm

49ersFaithful80 wrote:Just because Kaepernick threw that one ball late to Moss (and the analyst mentioned it) doesn't mean he doesn't throw receivers open, I've seen him do it many times this season.

His passer rating was 98.3 this season, and he was the 3rd rated passer according to QBR behind only Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. He will be fine, he's one of the better passers in the league with 10 starts under his belt.
Hey, he's alive.
12 team//24 Man Roster//1QB,2RB,4WR,1TE,1RB/WR/TE/1K/1DST//0.5 point PPR//$350 Salary Cap (Salary per year/Years)
QB= Stafford (19/3), Luck (10/1), Locker (1/1),
RB= Forte (39/3), Murray (11/3), Mathews (34/3), Martin (10/1), Tate (11/3), Hunter (6/1), F. Jones (3/1)
WR= Green (21/3), Harvin (27/3), Maclin (33/3), Bowe (23/1) Thomas (11/3), Quick (5/1), Hill (10/1)
TE= Hernandez (19/1), Rudolph (8/1)

12 Team, non-PPR, All TDs 6, QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, TE, RB/WR/TE, DEF, K, 20 man rosters, cut to 14 for Rookie/FA Draft
QB: RG3, Newton, Wilson
RB: Richardson, Martin, Spiller, Charles, L. Miller, L. James,
WR: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Cruz, Marshall, Fitzgerald, Alexander, Hankerson,
TE: Gronk,

DynastyZ33
Role Player
Role Player

Postby DynastyZ33 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:12 pm

It wasnt just his throw to Moss that made me believe he doesnt anticipate routes, all his games prior suggest that he doesnt trust/know how to throw the ball until the player is open. Could he learn? Possibly, but it is certainly not the easiest thing to learn nor is it certain he can. Some cases you either have it or you don't I do know Wilson has it and thats why I trust Wilson long term and not Kaep (as a passer).
30 man roster 10 team Dynasty- PPR, 6 point passing TDs 2-4RB 2-4WR 1-3TE
QB: R. Wilson, Foles
RB: E. Lacy, C. Michael, J.Stewart, Bradshaw, L. Taliaferro, J. Starks, B. Cunningham
WR: J. Jones, R. Cobb, M. Evans, J. Blackmon, B. Quick, J. Gordon, Marlon Brown, A. Wilson, J. Janis, M. Wilson, J. Huff, J Wright
TE: Kelce, Bennett

Raven_Lunatics
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Raven_Lunatics » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:47 pm

I think that is something he may have but not use. We just don't know yet. He tends to rifle it when a player becomes open because he has an accurate and powerful arm...and the legs to wait for the moment.

His play (or playcalling) inside the 10 last night is something SF will be working all off season. Cost them the game and opportunity to tie on the missed two point conversion.

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:31 pm

Raven_Lunatics wrote:I think that is something he may have but not use. We just don't know yet. He tends to rifle it when a player becomes open because he has an accurate and powerful arm...and the legs to wait for the moment.

His play (or playcalling) inside the 10 last night is something SF will be working all off season. Cost them the game and opportunity to tie on the missed two point conversion.

Just heard a stat that SF ran 70% either in the redzone or inside the 10.

Last night they went away from it...

CokeAndBacardi
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby CokeAndBacardi » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:43 pm

Mullmania wrote:
Raven_Lunatics wrote:I think that is something he may have but not use. We just don't know yet. He tends to rifle it when a player becomes open because he has an accurate and powerful arm...and the legs to wait for the moment.

Just heard a stat that SF ran 70% either in the redzone or inside the 10.

Last night they went away from it...
Inside the 10 and they led the league in that category. From what I saw, BAL brought the house near the goal line, forcing Kaepernick to make quick decisions to receivers in 1-on-1 situations with little room to work with. I'm not sure how running into that would have gone but it was a brilliant game plan and obviously a flaw BAL saw coming in.
10 Team/26-man dynasty/PPR/Year 10/4-6 pt TDs/2QB-2RB-2WR-2RB/WR-2TE
QB-Goff/Rosen/Lock/Grier/Luck
RB-Mack/Hunt/RoJones/Bernard/Snell/AP/Edwards/Ajayi
WR-ODB/Robinson/T.Williams/Davis/Anderson/Cobb/Renfrow
TE-Kelce/Goedert/Njoku/Rudolph/Oliver
2020 - Currently and likely 1.01, have all of my own picks

49ersFaithful80
All Pro
All Pro

Postby 49ersFaithful80 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:42 am

DynastyZ33 wrote:It wasnt just his throw to Moss that made me believe he doesnt anticipate routes, all his games prior suggest that he doesnt trust/know how to throw the ball until the player is open. Could he learn? Possibly, but it is certainly not the easiest thing to learn nor is it certain he can. Some cases you either have it or you don't I do know Wilson has it and thats why I trust Wilson long term and not Kaep (as a passer).
I just don't think Kaepernick would have been so successful throwing the football this season if he simply doesn't have the ability to anticipate throws, and I doubt anyone can definitively say one of these QB's can anticipate throws and the other can't.

Big fan of both of these QB's, I think Wilson is a little further along with his mental grasp of the game as of right now but I think Kaepernicks elite athleticism will make him the superior fantasy option.