Trading future production to WIN-NOW! worth the risk?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
joeday
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Trading future production to WIN-NOW! worth the risk?

Postby joeday » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:48 pm

Cy23 wrote:I NEVER trade future talent for current production. Ever.

The one exception is if I think someone is being undervalued and the current production is worth it... for example, older players who still have a few years are fine in my book (I traded for Andre Johnson last year, would trade for Roddy White and a couple of others), but trading a lot for Reggie Wayne doesn't make any sense.

The Maclin for Witten trade is confusing, because Witten could be good for a few more years, but I really just prefer the Maclin side of things. He hasn't put it together yet, but he is so young, I like him long term.
even future draft picks? Those are the first to go! lol
BERLIN BOMBERS (0 – 0)
1996 | 2005 | 2012 | 2013 | 2014 | 2017 – πŸ†
1999 | 2000 | 2019 | 2020 – πŸ₯ˆ

14 team | 4 keepers | non ppr | est. 1996
QB –
RB – Christian McCaffrey | Josh Jacobs
WR – AJ Brown | CeeDee Lamb
TE –

ROCKY MOUNTAIN MASTODONS (0 – 0)
2011 | 2013 | 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2020 – πŸ†
2008 | 2012 | 2014 | 2019 – πŸ₯ˆ

12 team | 10 keepers | non ppr | est. 2001
QB – Joe Burrow
RB – Tony Pollard | Kenneth Walker III | Rhamondre Stevenson
WR – Justin Jefferson | Stefon Diggs | DK Metcalf | Tee Higgins | Jameson Williams
TE – Trey McBride

Overall 2024 Regular Season Record: 0 – 0

49erAus
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby 49erAus » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:29 am

Water Buffalo wrote:
49erAus wrote:If you genuinely believe it will get you a championship then do it . That's what we play for after all. There's no point always playing for the future cause you'll forever be planning 3 years ahead

Win now my friend win now
The guys in my league seriously need to take this advice to heart at least a little bit. There are a few guys in my main league that absolutely REFUSE to trade unless they are completely fleecing you, and they are obsessed with hoarding any and all youth. They don't even seem to care about winning the league, they just hoard, hoard, hoard. They don't even care if they have a position of need, they'll still refuse to make fair deals. They wouldn't even consider trading for a guy like Brady, or Peyton even if they had 0 QBs to even start if the asking price was a promising young player. Why? Because "they only have a few years left". It's frustrating and obnoxious to say the least knowing full well that you could make a mutually beneficial trade but it will never happen.
That's one of the most frustrating things IMO because as soon as they realize the young player isn't developing they try to offload and then get annoyed when you dont accept. Then the cycle starts again

Im happy to take the risk of an older player for a championship and understand that it doesn't always pay off but when it does, it delivers what we all play for.
32 team dynasty, ppr, IDP big play scoring, 40 man qb, rb, 2 wr, te, Wr/Rb/TE flex, k, 3 lb, 2 de, dt , lb/dl flex, 2 cb, 2 s
qb- Wilsonrb- d Wilson , miller, javon ringer wr- crabtree, hill, Jeffrey, Palmer te- J dreesen, D walker v green, d fells

Picks 1.09 1.11 2.05 3.05 4.05 5.11

cha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby cha » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:30 pm

49erAus wrote:
Water Buffalo wrote:
49erAus wrote:If you genuinely believe it will get you a championship then do it . That's what we play for after all. There's no point always playing for the future cause you'll forever be planning 3 years ahead

Win now my friend win now
The guys in my league seriously need to take this advice to heart at least a little bit. There are a few guys in my main league that absolutely REFUSE to trade unless they are completely fleecing you, and they are obsessed with hoarding any and all youth. They don't even seem to care about winning the league, they just hoard, hoard, hoard. They don't even care if they have a position of need, they'll still refuse to make fair deals. They wouldn't even consider trading for a guy like Brady, or Peyton even if they had 0 QBs to even start if the asking price was a promising young player. Why? Because "they only have a few years left". It's frustrating and obnoxious to say the least knowing full well that you could make a mutually beneficial trade but it will never happen.
That's one of the most frustrating things IMO because as soon as they realize the young player isn't developing they try to offload and then get annoyed when you dont accept. Then the cycle starts again

Im happy to take the risk of an older player for a championship and understand that it doesn't always pay off but when it does, it delivers what we all play for.
Just traded for Peyton in mine because I am in a position to win and my QB position was not very good. Had to give up some youth but if I win it was worth it. That is why you play the game! :biggrin:

49erAus
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby 49erAus » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:37 pm

cha wrote:
49erAus wrote:
Water Buffalo wrote: The guys in my league seriously need to take this advice to heart at least a little bit. There are a few guys in my main league that absolutely REFUSE to trade unless they are completely fleecing you, and they are obsessed with hoarding any and all youth. They don't even seem to care about winning the league, they just hoard, hoard, hoard. They don't even care if they have a position of need, they'll still refuse to make fair deals. They wouldn't even consider trading for a guy like Brady, or Peyton even if they had 0 QBs to even start if the asking price was a promising young player. Why? Because "they only have a few years left". It's frustrating and obnoxious to say the least knowing full well that you could make a mutually beneficial trade but it will never happen.

Just traded for Peyton in mine because I am in a position to win and my QB position was not very good. Had to give up some youth but if I win it was worth it. That is why you play the game! :biggrin:
Props to you sir. Hope it pays off for you #whyweplaythegame ( get this trending lol :rockon:
32 team dynasty, ppr, IDP big play scoring, 40 man qb, rb, 2 wr, te, Wr/Rb/TE flex, k, 3 lb, 2 de, dt , lb/dl flex, 2 cb, 2 s
qb- Wilsonrb- d Wilson , miller, javon ringer wr- crabtree, hill, Jeffrey, Palmer te- J dreesen, D walker v green, d fells

Picks 1.09 1.11 2.05 3.05 4.05 5.11

Cy23
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby Cy23 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:57 pm

joeday wrote:
Cy23 wrote:I NEVER trade future talent for current production. Ever.

The one exception is if I think someone is being undervalued and the current production is worth it... for example, older players who still have a few years are fine in my book (I traded for Andre Johnson last year, would trade for Roddy White and a couple of others), but trading a lot for Reggie Wayne doesn't make any sense.

The Maclin for Witten trade is confusing, because Witten could be good for a few more years, but I really just prefer the Maclin side of things. He hasn't put it together yet, but he is so young, I like him long term.
even future draft picks? Those are the first to go! lol

Oh, I trade future draft picks all the time, I think their value is greater before they are used. Once used, they are locked into one particular player-- as picks, they could be anything. "What is in the mystery box? It could even be a boat!"

However, I refuse to trade them for old players. For example, in one dynasty right now someone is trying to get me to trade a 4th for Foote. Do I need the 4th? No. But I refuse to give up that value for a LB that is so old and is only a hair better than my depth at LB.

Would I give up a 4th for Wayne? Of course. Maybe even a 3rd. Would I give up a 2nd? Only if my WR2 and WR3 are so bad that I can't compete this year without a WR. And even then, I would look to get a younger WR, even if it cost my 1st, rather than spend the 2nd on an older one.

(As the owner of Wayne, Andre Johnson, Jennings and Colston, there aren't many older WR that are undervalued that I don't already have. Colston isn't older, but nobody likes him due to injury concerns)

BAMtastic
Role Player
Role Player

Postby BAMtastic » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:39 am

If the trades won't kill the future value of your team then do it now. I am in a few money leagues and of course I would give up medium youth and draft picks to win now. But I will not canabilize my team to get $250 when I can sit and get $100 for 3rd place. I am in 6 (of 9) different playoffs if the postseason started today. There are only a couple where I am thinking of making a move.

Having said that - there are teams at the bottom that now 'request' premium picks for their decent players to 'help put you over the top' because they have no chance and draft like bleep anyway. For these owners I just say no way...

MucBuc
Captain
Captain

Postby MucBuc » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:12 pm

BAMtastic wrote:Having said that - there are teams at the bottom that now 'request' premium picks for their decent players to 'help put you over the top' because they have no chance and draft like bleep anyway. For these owners I just say no way...
+1
3x teams in 32-team standard PPR + IDP leagues

It doesn't matter what we want. Once we get it, we want something else.