Ryan Mallett: Is there a pulse?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
PurpleHaze
Role Player
Role Player

Re: Ryan Mallett: Is there a pulse?

Postby PurpleHaze » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:20 pm

Chris_R wrote:
PurpleHaze wrote: Pretty sure you are misquoting me pretty badly. But it is true that back in 2010 there was a legitimate debate as to who was the better college QB, Luck or Mallett
PurpleHaze wrote:Brady has something worse than neck injuries to deal with. He has the "Patriot way" to deal with. And right now Mallett is every bit as good as Luck is, if not better.
Yea I was so far off :crazy: What you said was actually worse.
I believe I said that before Luck had taken a regular season NFL snap so it may have been true at the time.

As for the "Patriot way" the Patriots broke the trend and went all-in on Brady who signed with them at a discount vs other top QBs.

Euclid
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Euclid » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:38 pm

PurpleHaze wrote: I believe I said that before Luck had taken a regular season NFL snap so it may have been true at the time.
This is interesting. Could you go deeper into this statement?

mjreardon
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby mjreardon » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:26 pm

I really don't think Mallet has shown anything that would lead a team to trade for him with the idea of slotting him in as a starter right away. He's been very inconsistent.

I also don't think the Patriots are interested in leaving themselves without a legitimate backup quarterback for 2013.

Near 0% chance he gets traded this year.
M. Reardon, Member Corner Writer
Follow me on Twitter, always happy to talk fantasy (@mjreardon)

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:42 am

PurpleHaze wrote:
As for the "Patriot way" the Patriots broke the trend and went all-in on Brady who signed with them at a discount vs other top QBs.

We tried to explain this so your for I don't know how long but you had Mallett blinders on. The "Patriot way" doesn't mean dumping any old player off of the roster for the next young, unproven guy. It never meant that. And even if it did most anyone would understand that for a 1st ballot HOF QB and one of the best to ever play the game they would never dump him or trade in. They are trying to win SB's not play Madden. You assumed that because they moved on from a replaceable position that Richard Seymour played like 3-4 DE and thought it could happen with Tom Brady. So they didn't break any trends just because they did something you personally didn't think would happen.

I won't even get into the Andrew Luck comment again, just was pointing that out since you said I was "misquoting you pretty badly" but it was comments like that one that skewed what you thought NE would do.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

Euclid
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Euclid » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:50 am

Chris_R wrote:
PurpleHaze wrote:

We tried to explain this so your for I don't know how long but you had Mallett blinders on. The "Patriot way" doesn't mean dumping any old player off of the roster for the next young, unproven guy. It never meant that. And even if it did most anyone would understand that for a 1st ballot HOF QB and one of the best to ever play the game they would never dump him or trade in. They are trying to win SB's not play Madden. You assumed that because they moved on from a replaceable position that Richard Seymour played like 3-4 DE and thought it could happen with Tom Brady. So they didn't break any trends just because they did something you personally didn't think would happen.

I won't even get into the Andrew Luck comment again, just was pointing that out since you said I was "misquoting you pretty badly" but it was comments like that one that skewed what you thought NE would do.

I think now we know that the "Patriot Way" was to find devalued players that were still talented but had question marks (character, injuries, PEDs) and take chances on them based on the hopes that they'd straighten out.

PurpleHaze
Role Player
Role Player

Postby PurpleHaze » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:15 am

dlf_miker wrote:I really don't think Mallet has shown anything that would lead a team to trade for him with the idea of slotting him in as a starter right away. He's been very inconsistent.

I also don't think the Patriots are interested in leaving themselves without a legitimate backup quarterback for 2013.

Near 0% chance he gets traded this year.
On the first point, I said that Mallett would have to have a nice preseason to increase his trade value.

On the 2nd point, word is that Tebow is doing well in camp so he could take over as the #2. He's got plenty of starter experience.

On the 3rd point, I disagree, it is possible but more likely in the 2014 offseason.

PurpleHaze
Role Player
Role Player

Postby PurpleHaze » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:18 am

Euclid wrote:
PurpleHaze wrote: I believe I said that before Luck had taken a regular season NFL snap so it may have been true at the time.
Back in 2010 pundits debated whether Luck or Mallett was the top college QB. Luck had more of an all-around game + some mobility while Mallett had a cannon arm and an offense that lit up the scoreboard in the SEC. At the time I made that statement Mallett had a year of experience working with Tom Brady while Luck had just been drafted. So at that time it's possible that Mallett as good as Luck if not better as an NFL QB. Obviously now Luck has a lot more game experience so if you look at that statement now you have to consider when it was said.

Euclid
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Euclid » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:21 am

PurpleHaze wrote:
Euclid wrote:
Back in 2010 pundits debated whether Luck or Mallett was the top college QB. Luck had more of an all-around game + some mobility while Mallett had a cannon arm and an offense that lit up the scoreboard in the SEC. At the time I made that statement Mallett had a year of experience working with Tom Brady while Luck had just been drafted. So at that time it's possible that Mallett as good as Luck if not better as an NFL QB. Obviously now Luck has a lot more game experience so if you look at that statement now you have to consider when it was said.
So there was a chance that Mallett > Luck, even before it was confirmed Luck > Mallett?

Euclid
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Euclid » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:22 am

PurpleHaze wrote: On the 2nd point, word is that Tebow is doing well in camp
I've read the opposite, several times.

PurpleHaze
Role Player
Role Player

Postby PurpleHaze » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:27 am

Euclid wrote: So there was a chance that Mallett > Luck, even before it was confirmed Luck > Mallett?
A better way of putting it is: As an NFL QB, Mallett was more experienced that Luck a year ago but now Luck is more experienced.

We now pretty much know what Luck is as an NFL QB. We still don't know what Mallett is. The Patriots haven't really showcased him yet. Even when Mallett played in preseason they didn't call any deep passes which is his fortay. It seems they wanted to work on his short and intermiediate passes which is probably where he needed the most work. Mallett's got huge upside but the question is will he live up to his potential. That's what makes him such an intriguing prospect.

If the Patriots decide to showcase Mallett this preseason (and I'm not sure they will), some GM's might be salivating when he throws 70 yard lasers down the field.

Euclid
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Euclid » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:31 am

PurpleHaze wrote:
Euclid wrote: So there was a chance that Mallett > Luck, even before it was confirmed Luck > Mallett?
A better way of putting it is: As an NFL QB, Mallett was more experienced that Luck a year ago but now Luck is more experienced.

We now pretty much know what Luck is as an NFL QB. We still don't know what Mallett is. The Patriots haven't really showcased him yet. Even when Mallett played in preseason they didn't call any deep passes which is his fortay. It seems they wanted to work on his short and intermiediate passes which is probably where he needed the most work. Mallett's got huge upside but the question is will he live up to his potential. That's what makes him such an intriguing prospect.

If the Patriots decide to showcase Mallett this preseason (and I'm not sure they will), some GM's might be salivating when he throws 70 yard lasers down the field.
So at some point in time there was a chance that Luck < Mallett? That's what I'm asking. Is this like an alternate universe/timeline thing or something? I'm trying to figure out what you are saying.

edit - sorry, I meant to say because RIGHT NOW WE KNOW THAT LUCK > MALLETT. That's confirmed. Let's not entertain any other fantasies about this.

PurpleHaze
Role Player
Role Player

Postby PurpleHaze » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:34 am

Euclid wrote: So at some point in time there was a chance that Luck < Mallett? That's what I'm asking. Is this like an alternate universe/timeline thing or something? I'm trying to figure out what you are saying.
For fantasy football 2013 Luck > Mallett

For their future NFL careers Luck ??? Mallett. The jury is still out on Mallett. We have not seen what he can do as a starting NFL QB. He might be a total bust or he could be future HOF. We just don't know yet. What I do know is that Mallett has the best deep ball I've ever seen.

Last edited by PurpleHaze on Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:39 am

Stop talking about Ryan Mallett. I am actually kinda high on the guy, but this is getting old.

PurpleHaze
Role Player
Role Player

Postby PurpleHaze » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:41 am

dynastyninja wrote:Stop talking about Ryan Mallett. I am actually kinda high on the guy, but this is getting old.
My point of bringing this thread back up is that trade rumors were floating around again. So it's another time that people can stash Mallett just for the preseason to see what happens.

The problem is that when this thread comes back up it opens a huge can of worms :? Mallett is a player where people either love him or hate him as a future dynasty QB.

Euclid
Role Player
Role Player

Postby Euclid » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:50 am

PurpleHaze wrote:
Euclid wrote: So at some point in time there was a chance that Luck < Mallett? That's what I'm asking. Is this like an alternate universe/timeline thing or something? I'm trying to figure out what you are saying.
For fantasy football 2013 Luck > Mallett

For their future NFL careers Luck ??? Mallett. The jury is still out on Mallett. We have not seen what he can do as a starting NFL QB. He might be a total bust or he could be future HOF. We just don't know yet. What I do know is that Mallett has the best deep ball I've ever seen.

OK, so you ignored my statement to stop with the fantasizing.