Jake Locker

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
49ersFaithful80
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Jake Locker

Postby 49ersFaithful80 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:31 am

It seems as if people don't understand how subjective completion percentage is, a QB's accuracy throwing the ball is one of many things that will affect his completion %. Some QB's are more aggressive than others in regard to pushing the ball down field. Anyone can complete a high percentage of their throws if they check down a lot, in my opinion YPA is a much better measure of a QB because it actually shows what production they are generating rather than just completing passes. Some QB's try to push the ball down the field a lot and it obviously is going to negatively affect their completion % (Jay Cutler, Tim Tebow), then there are QB's who check down a lot and get a bump to their completion % (Ryan Fitzpatrick). And lastly there is Sam Bradford who checks down on every play and still has a terrible completion %.

dlf_erich
MVP
MVP

Postby dlf_erich » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:00 am

I watched Locker play and was pretty impressed. He only completed 7 of 13 passes, but I counted at least 3 drops...two by Damian Williams and one by CJ1K. He's not Drew Brees by any stretch of the imagination, but he has a cannon arm and can throw on the run. His mobility will also cause defenses to respect the run game a little more, which should open up the passing game. To me, it's a no-brainer that he should be starting over Hass at this point in their respective careers.
Twitter: @EDH_27

Ted Stryker
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby Ted Stryker » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:24 am

If we are pointing out drops for Locker and his lack of turnovers, let's be fair and talk about Hasselbeck's performance too...the first INT was off his receiver's hands, the second was a third and long play from midfield that was effectively a punt if the DB comes down with the jump ball, and CJ0k also dropped an easy screen pass from him. Seattle's first team defense (that Hass faced and Locker didn't) is legit, and the home crowd was as close to regular season size (and volume) as I've seen in a preseason game.

I'm not saying I think the job should go one way or the other, I haven't followed the camp battle that closely, but if we base it on this preseason performance alone we are definitely jumping to conclusions...I know the Locker camp wants their guy to play sooner rather than later, but I don't think a little more time behind a truly professional mentor would hurt his long term prospects at all.
Basic League Settings: non-ppr, 1 pt per 25 yds rush/rec; 6 pts per TD; 1 pt per 50 yds passing; 4 pts passing TD; 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR, 2 WR/TE, 1 RB/WR, 1 K, 1 D/ST

QB: Stafford, TyGod, Kizer, McCown, Bridgewater
RB: Gurley, Fournette, Lamar, Ty, AJones, Barber
WR/TE: Evans, Dez, ARob, Davis, Parker, Jimmy

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:04 am

It should be Locker that wins this competition due to the fact that it's so close and he was a top 10 pick. I mean, it's not like these are two veterans here, it's a guy they felt strong enough about they drafted in the top 10, basically the future franchise QB. All he needs to do is keep it close enough, and IMO the "battle" is so he comes out sharp and feels he has to earn it. If Locker is your guy he should be ready, I'm not expecting him to light the NFL up this year and I expect a bunch of mistakes as with any young QB, all I want to see are flashes of brilliance where he makes a play, or a drive, or a game and you go "wow this guy is going to be really good" and I'd be satisfied.

They are a longshot to make the playoffs anyway, but he'll get some valuable experience this year going forward.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:52 pm

49ersFaithful80 wrote:It seems as if people don't understand how subjective completion percentage is, a QB's accuracy throwing the ball is one of many things that will affect his completion %. Some QB's are more aggressive than others in regard to pushing the ball down field. Anyone can complete a high percentage of their throws if they check down a lot, in my opinion YPA is a much better measure of a QB because it actually shows what production they are generating rather than just completing passes. Some QB's try to push the ball down the field a lot and it obviously is going to negatively affect their completion % (Jay Cutler, Tim Tebow), then there are QB's who check down a lot and get a bump to their completion % (Ryan Fitzpatrick). And lastly there is Sam Bradford who checks down on every play and still has a terrible completion %.
I think your out of your mind as completion percentage has a massive impact on YPA but sure...

With that in mind, Locker's college YPA was 6.7 with his best year being 7.1. That's essentially what Joe Flacco is doing against NFL defenses (slightly less actually). His 6.7 would have put him in around 25th last year had it been against NFL defenses. His best season in college would've put him in line with Alex Smith last year. For comparison's sake, Smith put up an 8.9 YPA in college.

As I said, Kyle Boller with athleticism. Good luck with that.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

TheOracle
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby TheOracle » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:06 pm

If you're quoting Locker's YPA from last year, what you're really saying is "I don't understand the concept of a small sample size or why that's a bad thing."
12 team//24 Man Roster//1QB,2RB,4WR,1TE,1RB/WR/TE/1K/1DST//0.5 point PPR//$350 Salary Cap (Salary per year/Years)
QB= Stafford (19/3), Luck (10/1), Locker (1/1),
RB= Forte (39/3), Murray (11/3), Mathews (34/3), Martin (10/1), Tate (11/3), Hunter (6/1), F. Jones (3/1)
WR= Green (21/3), Harvin (27/3), Maclin (33/3), Bowe (23/1) Thomas (11/3), Quick (5/1), Hill (10/1)
TE= Hernandez (19/1), Rudolph (8/1)

12 Team, non-PPR, All TDs 6, QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, TE, RB/WR/TE, DEF, K, 20 man rosters, cut to 14 for Rookie/FA Draft
QB: RG3, Newton, Wilson
RB: Richardson, Martin, Spiller, Charles, L. Miller, L. James,
WR: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Cruz, Marshall, Fitzgerald, Alexander, Hankerson,
TE: Gronk,

dm1129
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby dm1129 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:07 pm

Jake Locker will start Tennessee's second preseason game on Friday.

Source: Jim Wyatt on Twitter

We'll get to see him against the #1s on defense Friday.

49ersFaithful80
All Pro
All Pro

Postby 49ersFaithful80 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:14 pm

ericanadian wrote:
49ersFaithful80 wrote:It seems as if people don't understand how subjective completion percentage is, a QB's accuracy throwing the ball is one of many things that will affect his completion %. Some QB's are more aggressive than others in regard to pushing the ball down field. Anyone can complete a high percentage of their throws if they check down a lot, in my opinion YPA is a much better measure of a QB because it actually shows what production they are generating rather than just completing passes. Some QB's try to push the ball down the field a lot and it obviously is going to negatively affect their completion % (Jay Cutler, Tim Tebow), then there are QB's who check down a lot and get a bump to their completion % (Ryan Fitzpatrick). And lastly there is Sam Bradford who checks down on every play and still has a terrible completion %.
I think your out of your mind as completion percentage has a massive impact on YPA but sure...

With that in mind, Locker's college YPA was 6.7 with his best year being 7.1. That's essentially what Joe Flacco is doing against NFL defenses (slightly less actually). His 6.7 would have put him in around 25th last year had it been against NFL defenses. His best season in college would've put him in line with Alex Smith last year. For comparison's sake, Smith put up an 8.9 YPA in college.

As I said, Kyle Boller with athleticism. Good luck with that.

Yes obviously completion percentage is one piece to a QB's YPA but it is more of a complete statistic because it illistrates how a QB is throwing the ball. It tells you whether a QB is able to consistently complete passes down the field.

Locker's college stats definitely leave you wanting but considering how awful everyone around him was I'm not suprised.

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:36 pm

TheOracle wrote:If you're quoting Locker's YPA from last year, what you're really saying is "I don't understand the concept of a small sample size or why that's a bad thing."
I was referencing his college career stats.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

TheOracle
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby TheOracle » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:41 pm

ericanadian wrote:I was referencing his college career stats.
I know man, I wasn't referring to you. I agree with just about everything you've posted. :cheers:
12 team//24 Man Roster//1QB,2RB,4WR,1TE,1RB/WR/TE/1K/1DST//0.5 point PPR//$350 Salary Cap (Salary per year/Years)
QB= Stafford (19/3), Luck (10/1), Locker (1/1),
RB= Forte (39/3), Murray (11/3), Mathews (34/3), Martin (10/1), Tate (11/3), Hunter (6/1), F. Jones (3/1)
WR= Green (21/3), Harvin (27/3), Maclin (33/3), Bowe (23/1) Thomas (11/3), Quick (5/1), Hill (10/1)
TE= Hernandez (19/1), Rudolph (8/1)

12 Team, non-PPR, All TDs 6, QB, 2 RB, 4 WR, TE, RB/WR/TE, DEF, K, 20 man rosters, cut to 14 for Rookie/FA Draft
QB: RG3, Newton, Wilson
RB: Richardson, Martin, Spiller, Charles, L. Miller, L. James,
WR: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Cruz, Marshall, Fitzgerald, Alexander, Hankerson,
TE: Gronk,

TryingToWin
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby TryingToWin » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:24 am

Ok fellas...

If he gets the starting gig, what's he going to do with it?? Short term and long term.

SpeedKills4914
Role Player
Role Player

Postby SpeedKills4914 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:03 am

TryingToWin wrote:Ok fellas...

If he gets the starting gig, what's he going to do with it?? Short term and long term.
If he wins out in the short term, I see much scrambling with a few over/underthrown balls along the way. There's still a learning curve to be straightened out, and even the experience from last season won't be enough to combat that. At first. As the season progresses (assuming he keeps the starting job), I think we'll begin to see some good progression as far as decision-making and accuracy. Just because Hass loses the starting job doesn't mean he loses his ability to teach Locker. I think we'll be satisfied with Locker's performance this year, and we'll be ready for a breakout in 2013. That is, if if Tennessee's coaching staff lets him start all season. :pray:
16 Tm, $90 cap (Keep 12)
QB(1): RGIII-5.5
RB(1): A.Ellington-1.75, D.Wilson-5
WR(2): H.Nicks-5.5, M.Crabtree-4.09, J.Gordon-3.1
TE(1): G.Olsen-2.91, J.Reed-2.3
K(1):
LB(3): D.Johnson-3.75
DL(3):C.Johnson-1.25, R.Quinn-2.74
DB(4): T.J.Ward-4.21
HC(1):
2D 2O FLEX

holy_stromboli
MVP
MVP

Postby holy_stromboli » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:27 pm

Very ugly tonight for Locker. No way Locker is the starter week 1 with this kind of play. Very discouraging. :roll:

hvacman
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby hvacman » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:36 pm

holy_stromboli wrote:Very ugly tonight for Locker. No way Locker is the starter week 1 with this kind of play. Very discouraging. :roll:
Agreed. saw him on the sideline looking bored. They should have given him some pre snap still shots to study, he looked a bit lost.
DangeRUSS(YR3)
-8 team League 2 ppr, 6pt.pass td/bonuses for ypcatch and carry, comp%/ 1pt.assist,2pt tackle, blk kick/punt,recovery,2.5pt t.f.l, 4pk sk, int, ff
QB(1)- PManning, Ryan, RWilson
RB(2-3)- Rice, Sproles, Martin , Wilson, BTate, Pierce
WR(2-3)- Julio, Demaryus, Nicks, GTate, T Austin, Mike Floyd, Randle, Royal, Hartline
TE(1-2)- Gonzo, Rudolph, Eifert, Reed
DL/DE(2)-J Allen, C Johnson
LB (3)- Kuechly, LDavid, Burfict
DB (2)- Barron,HSmith
Def(1)- Niners, Pats

dlf_erich
MVP
MVP

Postby dlf_erich » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:59 am

holy_stromboli wrote:Very ugly tonight for Locker. No way Locker is the starter week 1 with this kind of play. Very discouraging. :roll:
If anyone drafted Locker and expected him to be a major contributor this year, shame on them. Moreover, if an owner did that, and didn't back him up with Hasselbeck, then that just compounds the foolishness.

He definitely needs some more seasoning, but it's not like Hass has been lighting it up either. Odds are that even if Locker doesn't start right away, he will at some point this season. The accuracy remains an issue, but he has flashed game-breaking abilities (running and throwing) in the past. If you were on board with the Locker Train this far, I don't think last night is enough to convince you to get off at the next stop...
Twitter: @EDH_27