Brock Osweiler-Worth a stash? Development time?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
mullmania
MVP
MVP

Brock Osweiler-Worth a stash? Development time?

Postby mullmania » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:25 pm

I nabbed Brock to sit on my taxi squad in a 3 year contract startup league. He can sit there for 2 years, assuming I keep him there and don't bump him for other rookies ect I've got AROD/A. Smith so I should be fine for that time.

What are your thoughts on his potential? How long before he might be NFL ready...let alone fantasy ready?

I've got a 5 year window with him, in a perfect situation which likely won't happen, and am wondering what to expect, if anything.

Thoughts on this guy and his possible development time? Becoming a fantasy relevant QB seems like a really long road.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: Brock Osweiler-Worth a stash? Development time?

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:43 pm

Be prepared to sit on him a long time. Hopefully, when Peyton's hanging them up (3 years from now?) we'll have an idea about Osweiler's NFL-readiness. I have a bunch of deep rosters, but I wouldn't be willing to wait for someone for so long with such an uncertain chance of success.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:55 pm

Thanks. That was kind of what I was thinking. In a straight dynasty...sure worth a stash but in a league like this, I'm probably better off with another prospect.

Regardless of my personal situation...feel free to chime in on his potential. He's got a unique skill set and learning from Elway/Peyton is certainly intriguing.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:35 pm

Yeah, the 2 year stash part would dampen my interest. If he's lucky, he'll be where Skelton is now in a year. More likely, it'll take him something closer to 2 years. The fact that he's so tall turned off a lot of scouts- few QBs have succeeded who've been so tall. Do like his intangibles, though. Getting a chance to learn from Elway and Peyton to correct his numerous mechanical issues is a plus, though.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

allpurple
Starter
Starter

Postby allpurple » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:55 pm

I would never be affraid of Plan B Osweiler is a poke and a prayer. great stash for a taxi and you can read him next preseason beofre you continue the hold on him. I just don't see him as a nfl QB. Once Manning retires i'd be more interested in the FA pick up QB or the QB they draft.

??Droppedballs??
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby ??Droppedballs?? » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:07 pm

i would sure taxi him this yr and revisit it next yr, at least wait to see him in preseason

xlote
Starter
Starter

Postby xlote » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:14 am

I think Elway knows what he's doing, and Osweiler will be able to learn from him and Manning. Osweiler has things to work on, but he has a big arm, he's a good athlete and he's huge. There's a lot to like. But he is a developmental guy and it will be a few years.

general mills
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby general mills » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:29 am

I have him on my taxi and holding him to atleast next season. Like to see how he does preseason and how healthy Manning looks.

mullmania
MVP
MVP

Postby mullmania » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:02 pm

Ok thanks for the responses guys. I'm gonna keep him there for now but I think he might have the least chance of popping in the next few years. Who knows those. Maybe he studies for a year...than something happens to Manning and he inherits a somewhat established offensive system.

Watching video of him I have determined that

A. He kind of sounds like a douche. Sometimes that cockiness can be good those . Rivers has some of it.
B. His game reminds me of several players. I partly see a little bit of Stafford's height and arm strength, some of Big Ben's tough to bring down in the pocket ness and a little of Alex Smith's scramble ability.

My current taxi is:

Broyles
Toon
Osweiler
Robinson-TE Giants

meineymoe
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby meineymoe » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:02 pm

If you have room on your taxi squad, then this is the perfect use of that option. I am all for it. If you can put him there and not look at him until at least a year from now, then do it.

-oo-

tstafford
GOAT
GOAT

Postby tstafford » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:19 am

meineymoe wrote:If you have room on your taxi squad, then this is the perfect use of that option. I am all for it. If you can put him there and not look at him until at least a year from now, then do it.

-oo-
:thumbup:

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:25 pm

I stashed him away on a few leagues expecting it to be about 4 years or so before knowing anything, and only 1 league did I make it a priority to draft him, and that's because I traded for Peyton mid-draft to be my only back-up QB on the roster behind Stafford, so I figured stashing Osweiler with a 5th round pick wouldn't hurt. Another league I have Romo and I'm doing the same. I'm not the biggest fan, but it's hard to not love what is going on here.

You have a guy with elite tools, and an arm to make throws only a handful of QB's can make. He just needs coached up, and some patience, 2 things he'll get plenty of. For the price he's been going at during the off-season I've been stashing him away and I'll hope for the best. I don't have taxi squads, just 30 man rosters that I have to churn at the bottom and maybe make some small 2 for 1 deals to always keep room for him. He's a good guy to target if you have a QB that's 32, 33 years old right now.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)

Pix
Practice Squad
Practice Squad

Postby Pix » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:29 pm

To put Osweiler in perspective, which back-up QBs would you prefer to have stashed away for production or trade value in 2-4 years? (Apart from Locker, Tebow, Tannehill, Flynn.)

ericanadian
Legend
Legend

Postby ericanadian » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:47 pm

Pix wrote:To put Osweiler in perspective, which back-up QBs would you prefer to have stashed away for production or trade value in 2-4 years? (Apart from Locker, Tebow, Tannehill, Flynn.)
Mallett, Wilson, Josh Johnson, Kaepaernick, Kafka, Hoyer and I could see a case for Cousins. That's just off the top of my head.
All I Der Is Win - 16 Team IDP League (Pass TD 6pts)

QB - Stafford, Stroud, Tune
RB - Swift, Hall, Penny, Bigsby, Ford
WR - Pittman, Olave, Di. Johnson, G. Wilson, J. Williams, Metchie, Robinson, M. Wilson
TE - Okonkwo, Schoonmaker
LB - Brooks, R. Smith, Phillips
DL - Crosby, Allen, Simmons
DB - D. James, Baker, Delpit
K - Just a stupid kicker

Chris_R
MVP
MVP

Postby Chris_R » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:25 pm

ericanadian wrote:
Pix wrote:To put Osweiler in perspective, which back-up QBs would you prefer to have stashed away for production or trade value in 2-4 years? (Apart from Locker, Tebow, Tannehill, Flynn.)
Mallett, Wilson, Josh Johnson, Kaepaernick, Kafka, Hoyer and I could see a case for Cousins. That's just off the top of my head.
Those are good ones as well. I love stashing guys like these for the most part. They usually have dirt cheap value and you can get them as a throw in, but you've got better odds to hold a few of those guys vs putting all your eggs in 1 basket. A Tony Romo only comes along so often.

Mallett is a guy I've targeted often, he's got the skill set that could produce big time fantasy numbers if he's used the most out of his time behind Brady in the Pats offense, and reports of them shopping him after a strong pre-season have came along. I know he had his faults, but he still had talent to be the #1 pick, and IMO the main thing seperating a guy like him and Stafford was/is pocket presence. Stafford stays calm, has great agility, and will step up into any and every throw to deliver a strike.

Mallett has bricks for feet and moves like those bricks are in mud when he's in the pocket. Luckily he got to watch 1 of the best(IMO the best QB in the pocket in Tom Brady). Just to throw a scenario out there, if he landed somewhere like Kansas City, they keep Bowe and Baldwin, and Mallett at least slightly improves his procket presence he can be a damn good QB that should approach top 15 eventually. I like him better then Brock because he'll probably play sooner, and was the better QB in College. Osweiler has a lot more technique to work on.
12 Team ppr Dynasty IDP Superflex
1 QB, 1 QB/RB, 1 RB, 1 WR, RB/WR, WR/TE, 1 TE, 2 DL, 2 LB, 2 DB, 2 DL/LB/DB

QB: Dak Prescott/Kyler Murray
RB: Jonathan Taylor/James Robinson/D'Onta Foreman/Chris Hubbard/Keontay Ingram
WR: Jamar Chase/Diontae Johnson/Amron St Brown/Courtland Sutton/Rondale Moore/Donovan Peoples-Jones/Christian Watson
TE: Dalton Schultz/Gerald Everett/Greg Dulcich/Jeremy Ruckert

DL: Joey Bosa/Khalil Mack
LB: Leighton Vander Esch/Tremaine Edmunds/Blake Martinez/Telvin Smith/Sean Lee
DB: Earl Thomas/Keanu Neal/Minkah Fitzpatrick/John Johnson

Picks: 2023(three)