Brian Quick Update

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
cha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Brian Quick Update

Postby cha » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:51 am

(Rotoworld) Steven Jackson is publicly challenging rookie WR Brian Quick because the Rams plan to "lean heavily" on the second-rounder this season.
Analysis: "We're going to need someone on the outside to make plays," said Jackson. "And I'm challenging him right now because we're going to need him to prepare himself over the next six weeks to be a standout on this team." Quick has impressed with his physical gifts during OTAs, but S-Jax noted that he's still swimming in the playbook after coming from mid-major Appalachian State's spread offense. The Rams are "in love" with Quick to the extent that their personnel staff believe he's on par with Justin Blackmon.

Glad he fell to me :thumbup:

CokeAndBacardi
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Brian Quick Update

Postby CokeAndBacardi » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:01 pm

I would be more happy with the part about Jackson wanting to take him under his wing despite the positional difference. Quick has very little help in terms of veteran pass catchers on that squad and needs some guidance. Jackson can't teach him the ins and outs of running routes but any portion of Jackson's work ethic that rubs off on Quick is a great thing.

The part about the personnel staff saying he is on par with Blackmon is a joke and to be expected from a team who traded out of the top-2, missed out on their number one target when the Jags jumped them to five and eventually had to settle for one of the worst drafts I have ever seen from a team picking either 1st or 2nd in every single round. Brockers, Quick, Jenkins, Pead, Johnson, Givens, Watkins... They would have been better off taking RG3 and figuring out what to do later. Hopefully they make their future 1sts from Washington count because this draft looks awful right now.
10 Team/26-man dynasty/PPR/Year 10/4-6 pt TDs/2QB-2RB-2WR-2RB/WR-2TE
QB-Goff/Rosen/Lock/Grier/Luck
RB-Mack/Hunt/RoJones/Bernard/Snell/AP/Edwards/Ajayi
WR-ODB/Robinson/T.Williams/Davis/Anderson/Cobb/Renfrow
TE-Kelce/Goedert/Njoku/Rudolph/Oliver
2020 - Currently and likely 1.01, have all of my own picks

TheFFGhost
Role Player
Role Player

Postby TheFFGhost » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:30 pm

I've got to disagree with CandB's assessment of the Rams draft. I think they went in looking to draft very good players and a lot of them as opposed to one or two knock it out of the park players. I think they acheived this and will have a lot more picks in coming years to continue on this plan.

As for Quick I've grabbed him in a lot of leagues, he has a great opportunity, fits in well and has a lot of talent so why not?

jhunter3
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jhunter3 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:03 pm

CokeAndBacardi wrote:I would be more happy with the part about Jackson wanting to take him under his wing despite the positional difference. Quick has very little help in terms of veteran pass catchers on that squad and needs some guidance. Jackson can't teach him the ins and outs of running routes but any portion of Jackson's work ethic that rubs off on Quick is a great thing.

The part about the personnel staff saying he is on par with Blackmon is a joke and to be expected from a team who traded out of the top-2, missed out on their number one target when the Jags jumped them to five and eventually had to settle for one of the worst drafts I have ever seen from a team picking either 1st or 2nd in every single round. Brockers, Quick, Jenkins, Pead, Johnson, Givens, Watkins... They would have been better off taking RG3 and figuring out what to do later. Hopefully they make their future 1sts from Washington count because this draft looks awful right now.
This is far and away the biggest swing and a miss I have ever read on any sports forum. The rams had one of the best drafts to date and got unbelievable talent and future picks that sets them up for the future. Jenkins is the best CB in the draft and just wait until Brockers hits his stride. I wont go into further detail because I am writing this from my phone. But wow, this was just so false I had to sign on and correct our bears fan and his big blunder.

CokeAndBacardi
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby CokeAndBacardi » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:08 pm

dlf_TheFFGhost wrote:I've got to disagree with CandB's assessment of the Rams draft. I think they went in looking to draft very good players and a lot of them as opposed to one or two knock it out of the park players. I think they acheived this and will have a lot more picks in coming years to continue on this plan.

As for Quick I've grabbed him in a lot of leagues, he has a great opportunity, fits in well and has a lot of talent so why not?
Peyton Manning has shown us what just one knock it out of the park player can do to a horrible team. Teams like the Cowboys, Falcons, Texans, Chargers and Jets have shown us what a bunch of good players will get you. I think you're right that they went for quantity and many draft grades support your case of the Rams having a nice draft. I just see a team that traded out of the RG3 slot, missed out on Blackmon, passed on Claiborne, had the Cardinals take Floyd right in from of them, etc. If Brockers turns into Fisher's next Haynesworth, awesome. I think their best picks were on defense and they could have added three starting-caliber corners in FA and the draft (Finnegan, Jenkins and Johnson). They got no help for one of the worst pass and run blocking lines last year. They added two mediocre WR prospects to a group of mediocre wide receivers and added Jerious Norwood remix to their backfield. Plenty of upside in this draft but one of the lowest floors I have ever seen.

CokeAndBacardi
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby CokeAndBacardi » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:24 pm

jhunter3 wrote:
CokeAndBacardi wrote:I would be more happy with the part about Jackson wanting to take him under his wing despite the positional difference. Quick has very little help in terms of veteran pass catchers on that squad and needs some guidance. Jackson can't teach him the ins and outs of running routes but any portion of Jackson's work ethic that rubs off on Quick is a great thing.

This is far and away the biggest swing and a miss I have ever read on any sports forum. The rams had one of the best drafts to date and got unbelievable talent and future picks that sets them up for the future. Jenkins is the best CB in the draft and just wait until Brockers hits his stride. I wont go into further detail because I am writing this from my phone. But wow, this was just so false I had to sign on and correct our bears fan and his big blunder.
Ha. Wow. I have never written anything that received the highest of praises. I guess I will accept the "Biggest Swing and Miss Award" instead. Thank you.

Give us your full thoughts when you have a larger keyboard. Interested to hear who the unbelievable talents are. Also, are you saying this is one of THEIR best drafts to date or that this draft will go down in NFL history as one of the best ever? I really hope it's just the former since there hasn't been much to live up to in the last decade.

Also, what did I say that was "false"? Did they not miss out on what was likely their top three targets with the first rounder in Blackmon, Claiborne and Floyd? Did they truly go into the draft targeting Brockers as the cure to Sam Bradford's major sophomore regression? Did adding zero offensive linemen help keep Bradford healthy? What am I missing that makes my post such a slam dunk swing and miss?

cha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby cha » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:40 pm

I am not sure about the mediocre statement. I am sure already posted but Cosell's thoughts and he is somewhat respected:

The next wide receiver chosen, by the St. Louis Rams with the first pick of the second round, was Brian Quick from Appalachian State. The Rams selected him ahead of more celebrated and widely discussed receivers Stephen Hill and Randle. Quick was another player who, seconds after his name was read, was branded with those disparaging descriptions of “reach” and “overdrafted”. That resulted from two things: he came from a smaller school and he struggled early in Senior Bowl week against higher quality competition.

Many will use the small school component of Quick’s résumé to suggest he will have a much larger learning curve to adjust to the NFL. Again, another myth tossed around as if it’s gospel. Watch any college wide receiver, especially one that played in a spread, and you will see limited routes. Justin Blackmon went to Oklahoma State, and he has no greater route running experience that Quick. They both played in spread offenses. In fact, studying both extensively on film, you can make the argument that Quick, who’s significantly bigger than Blackmon, is more naturally athletic. Quick is a very fluid and smooth athlete with excellent lateral quickness and deceptive vertical speed due to stride length. It’s not a stretch at all, when you analyze Quick’s physical and athletic attributes, to understand why the Rams selected him early. With his size and overall skill set, he has a chance to be the best wide receiver in this draft class. I know some teams saw him that way. Certainly, there are questions, and many variables will factor into the equation, as they do with any receiver entering the NFL, including Blackmon and Jenkins.

CokeAndBacardi
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby CokeAndBacardi » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:27 pm

Cosell also had Brockers going 31st overall in his mock just days before the NFL draft. Even if you consider Quick to be a solid value pick by Cosell's standards at 33, Brockers was certainly a reach at 14.

Listen, I am not saying the Rams didn't find a few good football players. They probably did. What I am saying is this: they ended the 2011 season with the number 1 or 2 pick in each round. Then they moved down for what I thought was awesome value from 2 to 6. Every other move from that point on was very questionable in my opinion. Weren't there reports that Fisher or someone smashed his fist on the table when Jacksonville jumped them for Blackmon? I could be mixing up stories but I promise you, despite any gleaming report you will read to the contrary, that draft did not go anywhere near according to plan for the St. Louis Rams.

CokeAndBacardi
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby CokeAndBacardi » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:40 pm

From yahoo sports:
After Cleveland took Richardson off the board, the Vikings followed by selecting Kalil, and there were fist pumps in the war room. The Rams had no interest in Kalil and were now one pick away from landing Blackmon, who'd immediately have become the most potent weapon for third-year quarterback Sam Bradford.

The Bucs, Fisher and Snead believed, weren't likely to select Blackmon. When the Rams' IT director, Bill Consoli, announced that the Jags had traded up for the fifth pick (information that was revealed in the war room minutes before television viewers received the news, as Consoli was communicating with counterparts from the league's 31 other franchises), Fisher slammed his eyeglasses onto the table and uttered a one-syllable expletive.

oppy
Role Player
Role Player

Postby oppy » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:58 pm

The Rams missed out on Blackmon, who was their #1 choice, but they were not targeting Claiborne or Floyd.

The Rams don't need to hit that home run pick like RG3 because they already have Sam Bradford, and he'll show he can be that guy this season. Their roster is lacking talent everywhere else due to mismanagement for years and poor drafting by Scott Linehan and inconsistent GMing from Billy Devany. They did pick up a few guys during the Spagnoulo era but they still had lots of holes to fill to become a good football team.

With the most important position already covered with Bradford it made perfect sense for the Rams to trade down multiple times to grab a bounty of picks and use them to select players. They got five or six guys who can be starting players for the Rams this season. It's unlikely any other team will be able to say the same about their drafts.

??Droppedballs??
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby ??Droppedballs?? » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:48 pm

CokeAndBacardi wrote:From yahoo sports:
After Cleveland took Richardson off the board, the Vikings followed by selecting Kalil, and there were fist pumps in the war room. The Rams had no interest in Kalil and were now one pick away from landing Blackmon, who'd immediately have become the most potent weapon for third-year quarterback Sam Bradford.

The Bucs, Fisher and Snead believed, weren't likely to select Blackmon. When the Rams' IT director, Bill Consoli, announced that the Jags had traded up for the fifth pick (information that was revealed in the war room minutes before television viewers received the news, as Consoli was communicating with counterparts from the league's 31 other franchises), Fisher slammed his eyeglasses onto the table and uttered a one-syllable expletive.
a blessing, i tend to agree with the rams having an outstanding draft, over your view of it. brockers was a great pick and by no means was a reach at 14 and i dont think there is a giant difference between quick and blackmon, i think blackmon is over rated by pretty much everyone, now i wouldnt say quick was a better prospect but i would have rather traded down, picked up another player and drafted quick, over taking blackmon.

Joey Pigskins
Starter
Starter

Postby Joey Pigskins » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:56 am

cha wrote:(Rotoworld) Steven Jackson is publicly challenging rookie WR Brian Quick because the Rams plan to "lean heavily" on the second-rounder this season.
Analysis: "We're going to need someone on the outside to make plays," said Jackson. "And I'm challenging him right now because we're going to need him to prepare himself over the next six weeks to be a standout on this team." Quick has impressed with his physical gifts during OTAs, but S-Jax noted that he's still swimming in the playbook after coming from mid-major Appalachian State's spread offense. The Rams are "in love" with Quick to the extent that their personnel staff believe he's on par with Justin Blackmon.

which pick did you get him at
@JoeyPigskins

11th Year 10 Team Dynasty 1/2 PPR (20 man rosters, three round rookie/FA draft, 2 taxi)

Commissioner/Founder

Champions 2011, 2012
Runnner-up 2013, 2016

1 QB 2 RB 3 WR 1TE 2 Flex (WR/RB/TE) 1 K 1 DEF

Matthew Stafford, Marcus Mariota
Todd Gurley, Melvin Gordon, Jordan Howard,, Jonathan Stewart, Darren Sproles, Theo Riddick, Jonathan Williams
DeAndre Hopkins, Mike Evans, Allen Robinson, Michael Thomas (NO), Phillip Dorsett, Kenny Britt, Kenny Stills, JJ Nelson (taxi)
Jimmy Graham, Eric Ebron, Austin Seferian-Jenkins (taxi)
Adam Vinatieri
NYG D

2017: 1st, 2nd

cha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby cha » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:01 am

awake1188 wrote:
cha wrote:(Rotoworld) Steven Jackson is publicly challenging rookie WR Brian Quick because the Rams plan to "lean heavily" on the second-rounder this season.

which pick did you get him at
End of the second. People kept passing but in their defense our draft was before all the good reports came out.

MR ROURKE
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby MR ROURKE » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:14 am

:snooze:

I am surprised at all the attention Quick is getting. Childs seems like a better prospect to me and he's getting no attention, but I guess that is good.

cha
Charter Member
Charter Member

Postby cha » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:38 am

MR ROURKE wrote::snooze:

I am surprised at all the attention Quick is getting. Childs seems like a better prospect to me and he's getting no attention, but I guess that is good.
I am more bullish on Quick but I did also draft Childs in the followng round. Childs has been hurt, has a more difficult path to targets, and has Ponder throwing him the football.