2022 QB Carousel

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
eNdblu
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: 2022 QB Carousel

Postby eNdblu » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:14 am

I read this Twitter thread a few weeks back from former DLF writer Nick Whalen about GB, Rodgers, and their current cap situation -
https://twitter.com/_NickWhalen/status/ ... 4881776641

It'll be interesting to see what GB does this offseason if Rodgers sticks around. The roster is gonna have to be gutted unless they can pull off some crazy moves with the funny money to make the cap space work.
16tm SC w/ tiered PPR (0.25/0.5/1.0) 1QB 1RB 1WR 1TE 3FLX
QB - Burrow(2), Tannehill(1)
RB - Taylor(2), Williams(3), Gibson(2), Dillon(2)
WR - Godwin(5), Metcalf(1), Pittman(2), Mingo(5), Boutte(5), Metchie(4), Renfrow(1), Mims(3)
TE - Kelce(1), Pitts(3), Kincaid(5), Njoku(3), Gesicki(5), Thomas[WSH](2)

16tm TE PPR Prem 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 2OFLX 1DL 2LB 1DB 1DFLX
QB - Murray, Winston
RB - CEH, Penny, Sanders, Mattison, Wilson
WR - Hill, McLaurin, Jeudy, JuJu, Ridley, Edwards, Ruggs
TE - Goedert, Johnson[NOS]
DL - Young LB - Kirksey, Tranquill, Walker[GB], Walker[ATL] DB - Sneed

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:27 am

eNdblu wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:14 am I read this Twitter thread a few weeks back from former DLF writer Nick Whalen about GB, Rodgers, and their current cap situation -

It'll be interesting to see what GB does this offseason if Rodgers sticks around. The roster is gonna have to be gutted unless they can pull off some crazy moves with the funny money to make the cap space work.
Wow. I had forgotten about Green Bay's cap issue. There's almost no chance they can afford to keep Rodgers and Davante Adams. Looks like this is the last year of a Super Bowl run to me.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:10 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:27 am
eNdblu wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:14 am I read this Twitter thread a few weeks back from former DLF writer Nick Whalen about GB, Rodgers, and their current cap situation -

Wow. I had forgotten about Green Bay's cap issue. There's almost no chance they can afford to keep Rodgers and Davante Adams. Looks like this is the last year of a Super Bowl run to me.
Rodgers is under contract and they could F-Tag Adams. A few cuts here and restructures there and they will be just fine.

Rodgers and Adams wanting to be there may be a different story but it is not as bad as the article is making out to be.

Talent costs money but the better teams know how to work around the cap.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:13 am

Green Bay will be fine cap wise. They will not be able to build out a super team unless Rodgers restructures, but they'll be similar built team in 2022 to what they have been the last few seasons. 2023 will be a different story after tagging Adams in 22. But again, restructure and cap going up are probable. Cap is basically fake in the NFL

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:14 am

Ice wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:10 am
Pac_Eddy wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:27 am

Rodgers is under contract and they could F-Tag Adams. A few cuts here and restructures there and they will be just fine.

Rodgers and Adams wanting to be there may be a different story but it is not as bad as the article is making out to be.

Talent costs money but the better teams know how to work around the cap.
Jinx!

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:53 pm

Drink everytime you hear a talking head mention cap gymnastics!

NWABCS
Captain
Captain

Postby NWABCS » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:53 am

https://twitter.com/MikeWellsNFL/status ... 3714407429
Chris Ballard on Carson Wentz: ‘At the time, we felt it was the right decision…I’m not going to make a comment on who is going to be here next year and who is not.’

So... $43 million in cap space for the Colts, $56 million if they cut Carson Wentz. $71 million if they trade him (if they can?) according to Over The Cap calculator.

Any chance he is playing somewhere else in 2022?
12 team
1/2 PPR
Start: 1QB, 2RB, 1 R/W/T, 3W/T, 1SF, 1K, 1 DEF

QB: Mahomes, Burrow, Lawrence
RB: Bijan Robinson, J. Taylor, Etienne, B. Hall, Roschon Johnson, Najee
WR/TE: J. Jefferson, D. Samuel, AJ Brown, DJ Moore, J. Chase, Waddle, Nico Collins, Rashee Rice
K: Butker
DEF: Bills
2024 picks: 1.11, 3.04
2025 picks: 1st, two 2nds

12 team
1/2 ppr
Start: 1QB, 2RB, 1R/W/T, 3 W/T, 1SF

QB: Mahomes, Josh Allen, Aidan O'Connell, Mason Rudolph
RB: Javonte Williams, Barkley, Etienne, J. Warren, D. Foreman, K. Herbert, N. Harris, Chris Rodriguez
WR/TE: D. Adams, DJ Moore, DK Metcalf, Waddle, Pittman, Drake London, ARSB, Mark Andrews
2024 picks: 1.04, 2.01, 2.12, 3.05, 3.11, 4.04, 4.09, 5.05, 5.07
2025 picks: two 2nds

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:34 am

Colts didn’t use their ample 2021 cap space to sign Hunter Henry, Jonnu Smith, or trade for Zach Ertz. They didn’t go sign a FA WR. They kinda left Wentz out to dry with a very mediocre receiving core of Pittman, ghost of TY Hilton, Pascal, Campbell, Doyle, Allie-Cox. I mean wtf did they expect from him? What do they think Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady would have to say if those were their weapons? They would have retired on the spot.

Wentz did his job, being about QB12+- in terms of many analytics. He handed the ball off to JT and he limited turnovers, throwing 27 TDs and only 7 INTs.

They have plenty of money to throw around still and should sign a TE, Ertz/Gesicki/Schultz are all UFAs. WR is trickier because guys like Adams could be tagged but realistically they could be top bidder for ARob/JuJu/MWilliams/Chark, or injured Godwin/Gallup.

What the f else are they gonna do at QB, and why would they continue to half bleep their roster and hamstring Wentz if he’s their only legit option going forward?

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:56 am

Ballard has been a drafting type GM, tends to hoard/accumulate cap space. No surprise he didn't spend in FA despite the cap space last year.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:29 pm

NWABCS wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:53 am https://twitter.com/MikeWellsNFL/status ... 3714407429
Chris Ballard on Carson Wentz: ‘At the time, we felt it was the right decision…I’m not going to make a comment on who is going to be here next year and who is not.’

So... $43 million in cap space for the Colts, $56 million if they cut Carson Wentz. $71 million if they trade him (if they can?) according to Over The Cap calculator.

Any chance he is playing somewhere else in 2022?
Doubt it. Reich and Ballard just aren't opening the door to talks about the roster next year, they have both been clear on that. I doubt they'd throw away the first plus that quickly, plus 15 million dollars or so. Wentz didn't play well last week, but nobody on that team did. They had a terrible WR corps, and I think that's what they need to address, rather than starting over at QB with a journeyman or a draft pick that probably won't yield better results.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:30 pm

dondickenson wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:34 am Colts didn’t use their ample 2021 cap space to sign Hunter Henry, Jonnu Smith, or trade for Zach Ertz. They didn’t go sign a FA WR. They kinda left Wentz out to dry with a very mediocre receiving core of Pittman, ghost of TY Hilton, Pascal, Campbell, Doyle, Allie-Cox. I mean wtf did they expect from him? What do they think Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady would have to say if those were their weapons? They would have retired on the spot.

Wentz did his job, being about QB12+- in terms of many analytics. He handed the ball off to JT and he limited turnovers, throwing 27 TDs and only 7 INTs.

They have plenty of money to throw around still and should sign a TE, Ertz/Gesicki/Schultz are all UFAs. WR is trickier because guys like Adams could be tagged but realistically they could be top bidder for ARob/JuJu/MWilliams/Chark, or injured Godwin/Gallup.

What the f else are they gonna do at QB, and why would they continue to half bleep their roster and hamstring Wentz if he’s their only legit option going forward?
Yeah, basically. Well put.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:33 pm

dondickenson wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:34 am Colts didn’t use their ample 2021 cap space to sign Hunter Henry, Jonnu Smith, or trade for Zach Ertz. They didn’t go sign a FA WR. They kinda left Wentz out to dry with a very mediocre receiving core of Pittman, ghost of TY Hilton, Pascal, Campbell, Doyle, Allie-Cox. I mean wtf did they expect from him? What do they think Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady would have to say if those were their weapons? They would have retired on the spot.

He still has accuracy issues and forces throws. Look at Carr, he made lemonade out of old lemons. Wentz couldn't, let's not forget he had a smash mouth run game as his best friend.

Franky Four Fingers
Starter
Starter

Postby Franky Four Fingers » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:34 pm

Well said. Wentz made a couple high profile mistakes this year for sure, but overall I thought he was fine. Surround him with some more weapons and continue to build the rest of the roster. Mike Gesicki would be an amazing addition along with a healthy Paris Campbell and possibly another WR. It wasn't Wentz that allowed Trevor Lawrence to score a season high in points. I'm sure that Denver wouldn't mind getting that type of production out of the QB, nor would a handful of other teams if Indy is silly enough to hang their dashed post-season aspirations solely on Wentz

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:02 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:33 pm

He still has accuracy issues and forces throws. Look at Carr, he made lemonade out of old lemons. Wentz couldn't, let's not forget he had a smash mouth run game as his best friend.
Yeah true. I'm sure the Colts wish they could slightly upgrade from Wentz to a Carr or Cousins. But they can't.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:49 pm

Wentz does Wentz things when the pressure is on. He is broken and the Colts cannot be happy.

Wentz simply doesn't deserve more chances. The Colts may be stuck but if any QB should be looking over their shoulder it is Wentz. The gave up a 1st round pick for him to make the playoffs and didn't. Ownership is probably fuming as a result.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts