2022 QB Carousel

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

2022 QB Carousel

Postby slaughterrt » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:37 pm

I thought with all of the rumors going around about Rodgers and Wilson maybe switching teams that we could use a QB Carousel thread.

Prob gonna be quite a few HC/GM shakeups, so we will prob see a few QBs get moved around.

How about Kirk Cousins? Zimmer could/should be out the door. The Vikings could end up rebooting and going full youth movement. Kirk is not a franchise guy and is not young anymore. Hypothetically, the Broncos miss out on Rodgers and Wilson…could Cousins be a potential target for a team like Denver?

10000% just speculation. But just thinking.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: 2022 QB Carousel

Postby Pullo Vision » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:59 pm

Don't see Cousins getting traded. The contract is a significant hurdle, but they can always be renegotiated. The bigger problem, from what I've read, is that Minnesota would take a massive cap hit if they trade him, which couldn't be adjusted with a contract restructure.

Hard to find secondary options behind Rodgers/Wilson to get excited about.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

Mjvb5
Legend
Legend

Postby Mjvb5 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:02 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:59 pm Don't see Cousins getting traded. The contract is a significant hurdle, but they can always be renegotiated. The bigger problem, from what I've read, is that Minnesota would take a massive cap hit if they trade him, which couldn't be adjusted with a contract restructure.

Potentially watson? Don't know how likely it is but possible

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:04 pm

I think Rodgers is staying in GB. I think Love is more likely to move than Rodgers at this point. People saying Kirk isn't a franchise guy, I don't get it. Cousins is one of the better NFL QB's. He's not in the Mahomes elite tier, but he's in the 2nd tier, along with guys like Stafford etc. If they move on from him, they need to get something substantial. Mond isn't ready to even attempt to fill the void, and they have no premier picks in a weak 22 QB class.

I think Jimmy G moves, beyond that, not sold on many big names moving, except for Watson of course.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:07 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:59 pm Don't see Cousins getting traded. The contract is a significant hurdle, but they can always be renegotiated. The bigger problem, from what I've read, is that Minnesota would take a massive cap hit if they trade him, which couldn't be adjusted with a contract restructure.

It's not just the cap hit, it's the guaranteed money. 66 million. The owner isn't paying 66 million for 1 season of football, unless he gets a haul in the trade to make that loss of money worth it to rebuild the team. QB's of Cousins caliber don't grow on trees, so I have my doubts he's going anywhere, unless they are getting the picks they need to re-boot.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:24 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:07 pm

It's not just the cap hit, it's the guaranteed money. 66 million. The owner isn't paying 66 million for 1 season of football, unless he gets a haul in the trade to make that loss of money worth it to rebuild the team. QB's of Cousins caliber don't grow on trees, so I have my doubts he's going anywhere, unless they are getting the picks they need to re-boot.
The Vikings would have to give a high pick and Cousins just to move him. He will be Viking next season unless they move more money his way and extend him. His salary is going to be around 6 million higher than the Franchise Tag but that is because they moved a lot of money around his contract extension in 2020.

QB really isn't the problem with the Vikings. He is much better than given credit for in the NFL. Think was 4th or 5th in passer rating this year in the league. He may not have the WOW factor but he is steady.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:44 pm

Looking on OTC, and Minnesota would save $35 million if they trade Cousins and only have $10M in dead money.

It's just difficult thinking of teams who want to pay Cousins $45 million, even if it's just for one season.

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:54 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:44 pm

Looking on OTC, and Minnesota would save $35 million if they trade Cousins and only have $10M in dead money.

It's just difficult thinking of teams who want to pay Cousins $45 million, even if it's just for one season.
Denver. Wouldnt be the first trade that happens only if the player agrees to redue their contract.
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:05 pm

I don't see why the Vikings would try and move Cousins (without getting good draft capital back), it's not like the offense is the issue. Who would they replace him with? Good QB's down grow on trees, and they have Mond behind him, and don't have the draft capital to get a premier QB in this class (if there even is one)

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:08 pm

Honestly, I think there will be a lot less movement than people think. Reich declined to comment about the roster in 2022 and people are going to make a big deal about it, but I highly doubt Wentz goes anywhere. They just moved a first plus for the guy, and there isn't an upgrade readily available. Cousins, I doubt he moves. Jimmy G I think does, and Watson. Beyond that, I doubt much happens.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:31 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:08 pm Honestly, I think there will be a lot less movement than people think.
like always!

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:07 am

I think Wilson, Rodgers, Cousins stay put. Watson plays somewhere, maybe even Houston, and then there are about 6 somewhat meaningful rookies drafted to situations where they will play behind vets/journeymen like Darnold, Winston/Hill, Goff, Fitzpatrick, Minshew, Trubisky, D Jones, Lock etc who will presumably act as bridge QBs for those teams. Teams like: CAR, DEN, DET, NO, NYG, PIT, WFT. For 2-3 of those teams the rookies won’t work out, the vets will continue to outplay them, and they will stay a mess in perpetuity.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:15 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:44 pm

Yep, and I didn't understand the discrepancy at the time I heard it, nor do I know what podcast it was. If it's simply a question of a one year high number contract, I'd think that could be fixed with an extension spreading the money out.
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:46 am

If we’re just throwing out plausible possibilities, here’s a few more
-J. Hurts should start somewhere, even if the Eagles choose to go another direction(which I find unlikely unless they bring in a big catch like Watson, Wilson)
- Danny Dimes could be looking over his shoulder, or even be on a new team, depending on what the new staff thinks.
-WFT almost certainly have to bring in a new front runner for the job
-could T. Brady ride off into the sunset? Prob not but he’s at the point we have to at least mention it every year
-Big Ben likely retiring, though maybe he could get a bridge shot somewhere else. Steelers be searching.
-D. Carr seems to be perennially on the hot seat these days. Though a playoff appearance may have quoted that talk, and a run would likely shut it up.
-hard to think Wentz could be out after they traded for him, but maybe facing a rookie breathing down his neck. That wasn’t exactly a ringing endorsement at the end of season presser.
-Saints. Bring back Winston? Try out a season with Hill(unlikely esp with the injury)? Or bring in new blood?
- Miami. New coach. Tua constantly under speculation. I think he deserves to stay and most likely will, but this is a prime Watson destination if reports are to be believed.
- I don’t think anyone inside or outside of Detroit thinks Goff is the answer to who could be their franchise QB. They may be stuck with him another year, but have to add competition at least.
- I don’t think anyone inside or outside of Carolina thinks Darnold is the answer to who could be their franchise QB. They may be stuck with him another year, but have to add competition at least.
-Titans. I think Tannehill may be the safest player to return on this list so far. Which feels weird to say. But he doesn’t strike me as an Uber-elite so have to at least throw the possibility out there that they could upgrade.
-Houston, Seattle, GB, Denver, SF situations have all already been touched on.

That’s a lot of possibilities. I’m not saying most/some/any of these situations will change much. Only that it wouldn’t be that surprising if any of them did.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:01 am

Here is a list of teams with potential openings and QBs that potentially could be moved. Obviously if a team ends up acquiring a QB then the previous QB there would then be available and vice versa so I'm just going to list teams/QBs once with whoever is most likely to be looking.

List of potential openings:
Eagles
Giants
Football team
Saints
Panthers
Falcons
Lions
Texans
Steelers
Raiders
Broncos

List of potential starting QBs with a new home:
Watson
Jimmy G
Rodgers
Russ
Dalton
And obviously all of the QBs that would be replaced by above teams by signing one of these QBs.

I think some of the teams (lions, Texans, falcons, panthers, Giants) are more likely to go the rookie route and add a vet than they would be to go after a legit QB.

Broncos, football team, Steelers, eagles, and possibly raiders seem like teams that if they could add a legit QB like Watson, Russ, or Rodgers they would be a legit playoff contender.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07