General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Postby StripesOfKC » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:14 pm

Ice wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:09 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:10 pm
dondickenson wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:45 pm Lane Kiffin in the lead for the Vikings job? Like that for the offense, especially passing game.
I'd stay at Ole Miss if I were Kiffin. That program looks like it's on the upswing.

The Minnesota job doesn't seem very exciting. Defense is in rebuild, team needs to find their future at QB.
Come on man, it is the NFL, not the minor leagues
Seriously

This was Ole Miss' peak unless you think they are toppling Bama and staying ahead of LSU/Texas A&M forever (they aren't)

The Vikings job with a talented roster with no question at QB seems plenty exciting compared to going 7-5/8-4 forever

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:07 pm

Ice wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:09 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:10 pm
dondickenson wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:45 pm Lane Kiffin in the lead for the Vikings job? Like that for the offense, especially passing game.
I'd stay at Ole Miss if I were Kiffin. That program looks like it's on the upswing.

The Minnesota job doesn't seem very exciting. Defense is in rebuild, team needs to find their future at QB.
Come on man, it is the NFL, not the minor leagues
Obviously, the NFL is a bigger job, but there's significantly less job security in that job.

Kiffin could stay at Ole Miss, continue to increase his stock at a program on the upswing, and wait for a better opportunity than a team that doesn't have a future QB, has a mediocre offense, and has a bottom 10 defense.

Matt Rhule left Baylor, signed a 7-year deal, and he's likely on the hot seat going into next season in Carolina unless they get a QB. Kiffin leaving for a very similar situation.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:22 pm

College football has changed big time with the instant transfer portal and pay for play schemes these days. Thinking this is a good structured job is just plain silly.

If a coach has any designs on the NFL one can count on one hand college teams that can compete with ANY NFL job which offers far more structure these days. Kiffen isn't at one of those programs.

BTW Matt Rhule is making a fortune with a guaranteed contract. That is a terrible example as he could always go back to the minor leagues if he desired.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:56 pm

Ice wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:22 pm College football has changed big time with the instant transfer portal and pay for play schemes these days. Thinking this is a good structured job is just plain silly.

If a coach has any designs on the NFL one can count on one hand college teams that can compete with ANY NFL job which offers far more structure these days. Kiffen isn't at one of those programs.

BTW Matt Rhule is making a fortune with a guaranteed contract. That is a terrible example as he could always go back to the minor leagues if he desired.
College coaches still have better job security even with NIL and the Transfer Portal. Why else do you think someone like Lincoln Riley didn't leave Oklahoma for the NFL? Hell, even Matt Campbell has stayed at Iowa State despite interest.

Again, the argument isn't that you don't make more money in the NFL. It's that you don't have much job security and it's not worth leaving a great college situation to pursue unless you have something to work with or you have significant power.

Minnesota is damn near a full-fledge rebuild. There will always be openings like that in the NFL every cycle.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:20 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:56 pm
Ice wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:22 pm College football has changed big time with the instant transfer portal and pay for play schemes these days. Thinking this is a good structured job is just plain silly.

College coaches still have better job security even with NIL and the Transfer Portal. Why else do you think someone like Lincoln Riley didn't leave Oklahoma for the NFL? Hell, even Matt Campbell has stayed at Iowa State despite interest.

Again, the argument isn't that you don't make more money in the NFL. It's that you don't have much job security and it's not worth leaving a great college situation to pursue unless you have something to work with or you have significant power.

Minnesota is damn near a full-fledge rebuild. There will always be openings like that in the NFL every cycle.
I guess there is a percent of coaches who long for the safe college route but then again many want to jump into the big leagues given they can always go back to college ala Nick Saban.

It is a point of view but there are only 32 head jobs in the big leagues and at the level these guys are at they already have financial security.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:34 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:56 pm Again, the argument isn't that you don't make more money in the NFL. It's that you don't have much job security and it's not worth leaving a great college situation to pursue unless you have something to work with or you have significant power.
maybe someone is confident in his abilities and wants a promotion.

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:39 am

I think Rhule earned about $1million more than Kiffin this year (~$8.5mil vs $7.5mil), which isn't chump change by any stretch, but it's also not remarkably more. From listening to a lot of interviews over the years, that really isn't enough to move the needle for everything else they give up leaving college to coach in the NFL. Kiffin has been in college for over a decade now since his stint with the Raiders, and I'm hard pressed to believe he hasn't been contacted in all that time with an offer again from the NFL, and come to that same conclusion: not worth it (for him).

Plus, money is important to everyone when it comes to job satisfaction, but there are a lot of other things that play into it. It's almost a completely different job coaching grown men who've played the sport for 20+ years and are multi-millionaires vs a bunch of children who've played for less than 10 years and still get care packages of ramen and ez mac from their mom's (maybe showing my age, I don't know what broke college kids eat these days). Almost everyone referenced this as just one of the many reasons Urban would fail this year, and then watched it play out before our eyes (and in the media). I don't think Kiffin is quite as bad as that, and has calmed a bit over the years, but I'd be hesitant to believe he would change his personality and coaching style that much to fit the difference. On Kiffin's personality, college coaches in general are revered in and around college towns as though they are gods. Add in Kiffin's larger than life persona and ego, I'm sure he's feasting on that. Esp when he's turning around teams like FAU and Ole Miss; likely hasn't paid for a meal or drink out in some time. When you put all the pros/cons on a scale, there seems to be a lot more to lose than gain in making a move back to the NFL. I guess in Kiffin's case it could trigger an ego thing after the Raiders debacle to want to come back and change his legacy; but I think he's already been doing that in college and can continue doing it much easier there.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:56 am

dustyroads wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:39 am

I think Rhule earned about $1million more than Kiffin this year (~$8.5mil vs $7.5mil), which isn't chump change by any stretch, but it's also not remarkably more. From listening to a lot of interviews over the years, that really isn't enough to move the needle for everything else they give up leaving college to coach in the NFL. Kiffin has been in college for over a decade now since his stint with the Raiders, and I'm hard pressed to believe he hasn't been contacted in all that time with an offer again from the NFL, and come to that same conclusion: not worth it (for him).

Plus, money is important to everyone when it comes to job satisfaction, but there are a lot of other things that play into it. It's almost a completely different job coaching grown men who've played the sport for 20+ years and are multi-millionaires vs a bunch of children who've played for less than 10 years and still get care packages of ramen and ez mac from their mom's (maybe showing my age, I don't know what broke college kids eat these days). Almost everyone referenced this as just one of the many reasons Urban would fail this year, and then watched it play out before our eyes (and in the media). I don't think Kiffin is quite as bad as that, and has calmed a bit over the years, but I'd be hesitant to believe he would change his personality and coaching style that much to fit the difference. On Kiffin's personality, college coaches in general are revered in and around college towns as though they are gods. Add in Kiffin's larger than life persona and ego, I'm sure he's feasting on that. Esp when he's turning around teams like FAU and Ole Miss; likely hasn't paid for a meal or drink out in some time. When you put all the pros/cons on a scale, there seems to be a lot more to lose than gain in making a move back to the NFL. I guess in Kiffin's case it could trigger an ego thing after the Raiders debacle to want to come back and change his legacy; but I think he's already been doing that in college and can continue doing it much easier there.
Well said. Kiffin has reversed his narrative and he's still very young for a HC at 46 and has a HC gig in the most prominent conference in college football. He's been through the Raiders job, so he knows what that type of situation is like. I'd be surprised if he jumps to another rebuild without a QB in place unless there's some insane amount of money and power attached with it.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:25 pm

Texans fired Culley. Another rebuild opens up

Shame how the Texans basically set him up for failure.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:33 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:25 pm Texans fired Culley. Another rebuild opens up

and he didn't fail, he had that team playing well above expectations. I expect Josh McDaniels will be heading there soon.
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:43 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:25 pm Texans fired Culley. Another rebuild opens up

I see it differently. I think he was a place holder from the jump when they brought in Nick Caserio as GM. Culley did do a pretty good job given the turmoil around Watson.

Now there are 2 serious NE candidates that Caserio can go after in Josh McDaniels or Tom Flores.

This team was in full rebuild and actually played better than most expected. I don't see Culley having any issue in getting a job. May not be as a head coach but he will get snapped up pretty quick.

Caserio has brought quite a bit of calm as the GM after the dumpster fire that was the Texans the last few years.

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:45 pm

Tom Flores is turning 85 this year and hasn't coached since the early 90s in Seattle. Don't think he's in the running. Brian on the other hand...lol

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:10 pm

Ice wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:43 pm

I see it differently. I think he was a place holder from the jump when they brought in Nick Caserio as GM. Culley did do a pretty good job given the turmoil around Watson.

Now there are 2 serious NE candidates that Caserio can go after in Josh McDaniels or Tom Flores.

This team was in full rebuild and actually played better than most expected. I don't see Culley having any issue in getting a job. May not be as a head coach but he will get snapped up pretty quick.

Caserio has brought quite a bit of calm as the GM after the dumpster fire that was the Texans the last few years.
Well, that's the problem.

If a team planned to hire a head coach as a placeholder, especially a black head coach, then that's pretty problematic. It would be different if he was an interim, but he had the official title.

What could he possibly get fired for right now given what he had to work with?

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:27 pm

dondickenson wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:45 pm Tom Flores is turning 85 this year and hasn't coached since the early 90s in Seattle. Don't think he's in the running. Brian on the other hand...lol
DOH! I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing Glue.... :confused:

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:36 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:10 pm
Ice wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:43 pm

Well, that's the problem.

If a team planned to hire a head coach as a placeholder, especially a black head coach, then that's pretty problematic. It would be different if he was an interim, but he had the official title.

What could he possibly get fired for right now given what he had to work with?
You don't really think they need a reason or even a reason that aligns with your viewpoint do you? It is a business and Houston is a huge market that might want to bring in a big name just because. It doesn't have to make sense but the cold hard facts are the Texans were really bad last year and as a result they were awarded the 3rd pick in the draft.

Bringing Race into this is stupid. Why would you even bring that up?

When people believe everything is racist then nothing is as the credibility meter becomes absolute zero. At some point; The Boy who Cried Wolf will become The Boy who cried Racist.