2022 Coaching Carousel

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Postby dustyroads » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:46 am

Ice wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:19 am
Fishmud wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:13 am So if Flores goes to Houston does Watson stay?
Good question.

I highly doubt it but strange things do happen.. Watson has probably burnt that bridge beyond repair but Flores really likes him. I could see Flores going to Chicago and getting Watson their via a trade or something like that.
Follow up question based on some assumptions which may not be the case; but let's pretend Houston can get a pretty good haul of draft picks over the next 2/3 years in trading Watson and he is willing to be traded to whatever team they come to terms with: Is that better for the teams future then just retaining and building around Watson? I'm torn because a good QB can be one of the hardest pieces to come by and really hinder a team right on the edge of breaking through; but also Houston is not Denver and seems to be too many other pieces short to really contend. I'd lean towards taking picks and doing a longer-term rebuild.

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:52 am

dustyroads wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:46 am
Ice wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:19 am
Fishmud wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:13 am So if Flores goes to Houston does Watson stay?
Good question.

I highly doubt it but strange things do happen.. Watson has probably burnt that bridge beyond repair but Flores really likes him. I could see Flores going to Chicago and getting Watson their via a trade or something like that.
Follow up question based on some assumptions which may not be the case; but let's pretend Houston can get a pretty good haul of draft picks over the next 2/3 years in trading Watson and he is willing to be traded to whatever team they come to terms with: Is that better for the teams future then just retaining and building around Watson? I'm torn because a good QB can be one of the hardest pieces to come by and really hinder a team right on the edge of breaking through; but also Houston is not Denver and seems to be too many other pieces short to really contend. I'd lean towards taking picks and doing a longer-term rebuild.
With the added wrinkle of Watson's complete lack of trust in the front office before the bigger story took over, it's time start over
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:50 am

Ice wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:05 am Bottom line: Hiring a coach or firing a coach because of skin color is bad. Saying it is bad optics for the Texans to do it is nuts. Go blame the Dolphins since they just fired one of the best coaches in the league who may actually end up in Houston.

News flash if he goes to Houston it won't be because he is black; It will be because of a past relationship with the the GM who has consolidated his power and knows he is actually a qualified candidate who the vast majority would probably consider an upgrade.

Beating the racist drum is getting really old. Will the league do better than 5 minority head coaches last year in the future???? Maybe but so many getting on a soap box every time a minority gets fired seems like a White/Black thing which is pretty sad IMO.

Yes racists exists and that is bad but thinking Culley's firing is bad optics, whatever that means, is silly. It is bad optics when one believes he was fired for one single reason.
Again, I have not said that a coach was fired because they were black, or that a coach should be hired purely because they are black.

I don't understand why you keep bringing that up like anyone has said so.

The point is that a black coach got a job in a shitty situation, where the team went into it knowing that there was a high chance that he would not be the coach beyond a season or at best two. You have echoed the same thing a few pages back. Culley never had a legitimate chance to be their long-term coach.

Again, I don't think he was hired or fired because he is black. I think there are logical reasons to want to upgrade your coach if you are the Texans. However, that doesn't change the fact that they put him in a shitty situation, in a league where black HCs and black front office executives already struggle to get HC jobs. The quality of job was poor and offered no long-term security. It's bad optics for a league that has poor representation at HC and in the front office for a league where the majority of players are black.

You mentioned earlier that (paraphrase): Well, it's still a win for him, because he made money and he'll keep a job in the NFL going forward. Culley is 66 years old. He's been a HC in the NFL since 1994 and has been coaching overall since the 70s. There's a strong likelihood that he will never get another HC job in the NFL after waiting 27 years to get one.

Asking "why does everything have to be about race" is an effortless thought for those who don't empathize for the people who are actually affected by issues that have to do with their race. I'm not accusing you of that, but it's a poor question when there's an obvious and clear answer explained by multiple decades of history in the NFL.

My intent was never to make this a drawn out discussion, but only to rightfully acknowledge that it is a part of the story of his firing and a cyclical issue in the NFL.

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:08 am

dustyroads wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:55 am
realmacaroni wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:06 am Cameron Giles is not wrong here. Ok, sure, Culley was fired for legit reasons as far as one team's football operations are concerned. This is not the issue. The problem is a 70% black player base, men with countless years of experience combined, or maybe 30/40/50 years of football experience individually; and the NFL can only find ONE qualified person to currently be a head coach? And yes, it seems like Houston (a good ol' boy town if there ever was one) did a minority hire in a situation where they were pretty sure they could have a quick out if/when they desired, wipe there hands, and move on.

it is a bad look. period. if you don't agree than you are on the opposite side from me, and hopefully on the wrong side of history
Lol... reiterating "appreciate the candor when it can be done without insults/accusations/inflammatory statements."

Your post is a good example of why these discussions get little traction and rarely lead to positive outcomes. However I'm sure it must be much more psychologically comforting to live life in black and white (pun not intended), always believing there are on two possibilities, and that the one you choose is the correct one. What I'll never understand is the need to then not only place everyone who isn't lock step with your OPINIONS in a little box you create and attribute to them all the qualities you assign that box; but to audaciously proclaim them as also being definitively "wrong".

It's great to be an activist when the intentions are built around a desire to effect positive change on the world. Not so much when it's a self-serving way to inflate one's own ego. This often winds up being the case when "being right" is more important to an individual than "getting it right". Maybe that's not you, but as an example, insinuating the entire city of Houston is racist will not help any cause. It comes across as inflammatory and self-serving, is obviously false, and alienates everyone from there pushing them further away from a cause you seemingly are trying to get people to rally around. So then I am lead to believe you are either bad at being an activist, or have ulterior motives.
I’m admittedly not very political and prob considered a bad activist by any side of any issue. But in 2022 to sit here and read that race is not at issue in this arena doesn’t sit with me. Just because a handful of posters on a dfl chatboard want to say it does not bear on the proceedings is laughable. Join the present, says I. But these are only my opinions and convictions. I won’t back down or be backed down from them. But thanks for the character attack, totally doesn’t come across a little self-serving and ego inflating
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
Notable Assets in Rebuild
QB: Mahomes - Levis - Rudolph
RB: K Mitchell - J McLaughlin - C Rodriguez - Z Evans
WR: AJB - M Pittman- R Doubs - E Moore - Shaheed - C Tillman- A Iosivas
TE: MAndrews - Kraft
'24: 1.1, 1.7, 2.1, 2.6, 2.10, 3.1, 3.10
‘25: 1 1st, 2 2nds, 2 3rds

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
QB: TLaw - Purdy - Goff
RB: Chubb - D Montgomery - D Singletary - A Mattison - K Miller - J Hill
WR: CeeDee - Aiyuk - Rice - Godwin - J Reed - E Moore
TE: Kittle - Kincaid - Chig
picks: 1.09, 2.11

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:03 pm

realmacaroni wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:08 am
dustyroads wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:55 am
realmacaroni wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:06 am Cameron Giles is not wrong here. Ok, sure, Culley was fired for legit reasons as far as one team's football operations are concerned. This is not the issue. The problem is a 70% black player base, men with countless years of experience combined, or maybe 30/40/50 years of football experience individually; and the NFL can only find ONE qualified person to currently be a head coach? And yes, it seems like Houston (a good ol' boy town if there ever was one) did a minority hire in a situation where they were pretty sure they could have a quick out if/when they desired, wipe there hands, and move on.

it is a bad look. period. if you don't agree than you are on the opposite side from me, and hopefully on the wrong side of history
Lol... reiterating "appreciate the candor when it can be done without insults/accusations/inflammatory statements."

Your post is a good example of why these discussions get little traction and rarely lead to positive outcomes. However I'm sure it must be much more psychologically comforting to live life in black and white (pun not intended), always believing there are on two possibilities, and that the one you choose is the correct one. What I'll never understand is the need to then not only place everyone who isn't lock step with your OPINIONS in a little box you create and attribute to them all the qualities you assign that box; but to audaciously proclaim them as also being definitively "wrong".

It's great to be an activist when the intentions are built around a desire to effect positive change on the world. Not so much when it's a self-serving way to inflate one's own ego. This often winds up being the case when "being right" is more important to an individual than "getting it right". Maybe that's not you, but as an example, insinuating the entire city of Houston is racist will not help any cause. It comes across as inflammatory and self-serving, is obviously false, and alienates everyone from there pushing them further away from a cause you seemingly are trying to get people to rally around. So then I am lead to believe you are either bad at being an activist, or have ulterior motives.
I’m admittedly not very political and prob considered a bad activist by any side of any issue. But in 2022 to sit here and read that race is not at issue in this arena doesn’t sit with me. Just because a handful of posters on a dfl chatboard want to say it does not bear on the proceedings is laughable. Join the present, says I. But these are only my opinions and convictions. I won’t back down or be backed down from them. But thanks for the character attack, totally doesn’t come across a little self-serving and ego inflating
Was going to reply in kind, but really your comment says it all. People who are so closed minded that they "won't back down from their opinions" or consider any other reality outside their own aren't really worth trying to have a discourse with. Especially when they brazenly state they aren't even knowledgeable about, or even good at doing, whatever it is they are fervently attempting to do. Sorry if you felt that was attacking your character, just using your own statements as a basis to explain my interpretation of how it comes across. But I'm open to the fact that's just my personal interpretation, as well as open to the fact I could be wrong. :thumbup:

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:07 pm

first of all, where do i admit to being unknowledgeable? Non political and non active don’t mean what u think they mean

Secondly, u want to convince me that the NFL is not subject to our nations clear and undeniable race problems? I’m not unmalleable or obtuse. But I’m gonna stay strong on this one.

Third, ‘K bye
SF - PPR - 12t - start10

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:34 pm

This is one on the most asinine things I've ever read on these boards. I would say this. If you really believe that's the case, and don't agree with it, you should probably stop watching the NFL and supporting it with your time and money, or else you're just helping it and supporting it.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:45 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:34 pm

This is one on the most asinine things I've ever read on these boards. I would say this. If you really believe that's the case, and don't agree with it, you should probably stop watching the NFL and supporting it with your time and money, or else you're just helping it and supporting it.
“It seems like”, I said. Hope I’m wrong. But whatever. You guys seem real upset that I’m wary or racism in the NFL
SF - PPR - 12t - start10

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:31 pm

realmacaroni wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:45 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:34 pm

“It seems like”, I said. Hope I’m wrong. But whatever. You guys seem real upset that I’m wary or racism in the NFL
No, that's not it. That's just an attempt to deflect, and that's not what I am "real upset" with. "It seems" like you are making ridiculous assumptions without a shred of evidence, and then insinuating you are morally superior based off that. Nick Caserio is a first time GM, every poor move he makes is a strike against him losing his job, eventually. You really think he hired a coach he didn't really want due to the scenario you already presented? So he hires a black coach (which would enrage the supposedly racist town of Houston, of course), simply because he was black, and this minority hire would make them look less racist, only to fire him a year later, and have people such as yourself insinuate they are racist for then firing him? How does that help anybody on the Texans, especially Caserio, and his job security? There's racism in all walks of life, man. Insinuating it's happening from a vantage point of sitting behind a computer with no access to the ins and outs of the situation, and with no evidence of it doesn't help to rid the world of it.

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:44 pm

I said some things, my dander is up over race issues, I’m gonna take shots at that stuff if I see it. U guys are making the assumptions and insinuations. And ur def up in arms about it being called out. I for sure feel morally superior to anyone who is racist (were that the case) but again, that’s just me
SF - PPR - 12t - start10

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:51 pm

This thread needs to change course or be locked. Cripes.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:52 pm

U ain’t lyin’
SF - PPR - 12t - start10

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:55 pm

realmacaroni wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:44 pm I said some things, my dander is up over race issues, I’m gonna take shots at that stuff if I see it. U guys are making the assumptions and insinuations. And ur def up in arms about it being called out. I for sure feel morally superior to anyone who is racist (were that the case) but again, that’s just me
You really miss the point. Like completely. I'm not going to waste any more time on you. Best of luck.

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:01 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:55 pm
realmacaroni wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:44 pm I said some things, my dander is up over race issues, I’m gonna take shots at that stuff if I see it. U guys are making the assumptions and insinuations. And ur def up in arms about it being called out. I for sure feel morally superior to anyone who is racist (were that the case) but again, that’s just me
You really miss the point. Like completely. I'm not going to waste any more time on you. Best of luck.
Lol bye
SF - PPR - 12t - start10

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:11 pm

dynastyninja wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:14 am
Pullo Vision wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:17 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:33 pm

Darnold is terrible. He simply doesn't process the game well, or fast enough, and makes really poor decisions consistently. Scheme isn't the problem, he is. Cousins isn't in his range of outcomes IMO, it's much lower.
It's an aggressive projection with maybe a 5% chance of panning out, but if someone can get things right in Darnold's head, I think he could turn it around. This isn't a one year reclamation. A personality like Carroll might be the psychic salve needed.
It would be genuinely funny to me if Darnold got another shot with another team. Carolina fell for it, so maybe another team will, but he's a backup in the NFL. Nothing more to be seen with him. Any GM/Coach that bets on him would be out of a job in 12-24 months.
Yeah, someone trades a 4th for him, thinking it's a great deal, that they can "fix" him, then he bottoms out for a 3rd time.