2022 Coaching Carousel

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Postby Ice » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:28 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:50 am
Ice wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:05 am Bottom line: Hiring a coach or firing a coach because of skin color is bad. Saying it is bad optics for the Texans to do it is nuts. Go blame the Dolphins since they just fired one of the best coaches in the league who may actually end up in Houston.

News flash if he goes to Houston it won't be because he is black; It will be because of a past relationship with the the GM who has consolidated his power and knows he is actually a qualified candidate who the vast majority would probably consider an upgrade.

Beating the racist drum is getting really old. Will the league do better than 5 minority head coaches last year in the future???? Maybe but so many getting on a soap box every time a minority gets fired seems like a White/Black thing which is pretty sad IMO.

Yes racists exists and that is bad but thinking Culley's firing is bad optics, whatever that means, is silly. It is bad optics when one believes he was fired for one single reason.
Again, I have not said that a coach was fired because they were black, or that a coach should be hired purely because they are black.

I don't understand why you keep bringing that up like anyone has said so.

The point is that a black coach got a job in a shitty situation, where the team went into it knowing that there was a high chance that he would not be the coach beyond a season or at best two. You have echoed the same thing a few pages back. Culley never had a legitimate chance to be their long-term coach.

Again, I don't think he was hired or fired because he is black. I think there are logical reasons to want to upgrade your coach if you are the Texans. However, that doesn't change the fact that they put him in a shitty situation, in a league where black HCs and black front office executives already struggle to get HC jobs. The quality of job was poor and offered no long-term security. It's bad optics for a league that has poor representation at HC and in the front office for a league where the majority of players are black.

You mentioned earlier that (paraphrase): Well, it's still a win for him, because he made money and he'll keep a job in the NFL going forward. Culley is 66 years old. He's been a HC in the NFL since 1994 and has been coaching overall since the 70s. There's a strong likelihood that he will never get another HC job in the NFL after waiting 27 years to get one.

Asking "why does everything have to be about race" is an effortless thought for those who don't empathize for the people who are actually affected by issues that have to do with their race. I'm not accusing you of that, but it's a poor question when there's an obvious and clear answer explained by multiple decades of history in the NFL.

My intent was never to make this a drawn out discussion, but only to rightfully acknowledge that it is a part of the story of his firing and a cyclical issue in the NFL.
Bottom line you have decided to attach race as an argument of Culley’s situation.

Not sure of your agenda here but without question you have an agenda, if nothing else to talk about by inference in blaming owners, history, or White people. Not sure which.

The coaching carrousel is the wrong platform so feel free to continue on without me!
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:48 pm

Ice wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:28 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:50 am
Ice wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:05 am Bottom line: Hiring a coach or firing a coach because of skin color is bad. Saying it is bad optics for the Texans to do it is nuts. Go blame the Dolphins since they just fired one of the best coaches in the league who may actually end up in Houston.

News flash if he goes to Houston it won't be because he is black; It will be because of a past relationship with the the GM who has consolidated his power and knows he is actually a qualified candidate who the vast majority would probably consider an upgrade.

Beating the racist drum is getting really old. Will the league do better than 5 minority head coaches last year in the future???? Maybe but so many getting on a soap box every time a minority gets fired seems like a White/Black thing which is pretty sad IMO.

Yes racists exists and that is bad but thinking Culley's firing is bad optics, whatever that means, is silly. It is bad optics when one believes he was fired for one single reason.
Again, I have not said that a coach was fired because they were black, or that a coach should be hired purely because they are black.

I don't understand why you keep bringing that up like anyone has said so.

The point is that a black coach got a job in a shitty situation, where the team went into it knowing that there was a high chance that he would not be the coach beyond a season or at best two. You have echoed the same thing a few pages back. Culley never had a legitimate chance to be their long-term coach.

Again, I don't think he was hired or fired because he is black. I think there are logical reasons to want to upgrade your coach if you are the Texans. However, that doesn't change the fact that they put him in a shitty situation, in a league where black HCs and black front office executives already struggle to get HC jobs. The quality of job was poor and offered no long-term security. It's bad optics for a league that has poor representation at HC and in the front office for a league where the majority of players are black.

You mentioned earlier that (paraphrase): Well, it's still a win for him, because he made money and he'll keep a job in the NFL going forward. Culley is 66 years old. He's been a HC in the NFL since 1994 and has been coaching overall since the 70s. There's a strong likelihood that he will never get another HC job in the NFL after waiting 27 years to get one.

Asking "why does everything have to be about race" is an effortless thought for those who don't empathize for the people who are actually affected by issues that have to do with their race. I'm not accusing you of that, but it's a poor question when there's an obvious and clear answer explained by multiple decades of history in the NFL.

My intent was never to make this a drawn out discussion, but only to rightfully acknowledge that it is a part of the story of his firing and a cyclical issue in the NFL.
Bottom line you have decided to attach race as an argument of Culley’s situation.

Not sure of your agenda here but without question you have an agenda, if nothing else to talk about by inference in blaming owners, history, or White people. Not sure which.

The coaching carrousel is the wrong platform so feel free to continue on without me!
Lol later dog
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
Notable Assets in Rebuild
QB: Mahomes - Levis - Rudolph
RB: K Mitchell - J McLaughlin - C Rodriguez - Z Evans
WR: AJB - M Pittman- R Doubs - E Moore - Shaheed - C Tillman- A Iosivas
TE: MAndrews - Kraft
'24: 1.1, 1.7, 2.1, 2.6, 2.10, 3.1, 3.10
‘25: 1 1st, 2 2nds, 2 3rds

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
QB: TLaw - Purdy - Goff
RB: Chubb - D Montgomery - D Singletary - A Mattison - K Miller - J Hill
WR: CeeDee - Aiyuk - Rice - Godwin - J Reed - E Moore
TE: Kittle - Kincaid - Chig
picks: 1.09, 2.11

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:59 pm

murphysxm wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:52 am
dustyroads wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:46 am
Ice wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:19 am

Good question.

I highly doubt it but strange things do happen.. Watson has probably burnt that bridge beyond repair but Flores really likes him. I could see Flores going to Chicago and getting Watson their via a trade or something like that.
Follow up question based on some assumptions which may not be the case; but let's pretend Houston can get a pretty good haul of draft picks over the next 2/3 years in trading Watson and he is willing to be traded to whatever team they come to terms with: Is that better for the teams future then just retaining and building around Watson? I'm torn because a good QB can be one of the hardest pieces to come by and really hinder a team right on the edge of breaking through; but also Houston is not Denver and seems to be too many other pieces short to really contend. I'd lean towards taking picks and doing a longer-term rebuild.
With the added wrinkle of Watson's complete lack of trust in the front office before the bigger story took over, it's time start over
Yeah, I think Watson is done in Houston, without a doubt. I don't think either side wants a part of each other at this point.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:31 pm

Please can we get back on track here...

Is the link between Flores and Watson so strong that the former will pull the latter to whatever team he goes to? Watson going to Chicago with Flores would have to force Fields out- would another team give what Chicago paid to get him?
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:38 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:31 pm Please can we get back on track here...

Is the link between Flores and Watson so strong that the former will pull the latter to whatever team he goes to? Watson going to Chicago with Flores would have to force Fields out- would another team give what Chicago paid to get him?
I doubt the link between the two is that strong. Miami at one point had a ton of capital to work with, and a decent roster. Have Watson and Flores ever even met? There's no real history between the two that I know of, I just think that Flores wanted to pay up for Watson with the draft picks and QB Miami had. He probably won't be going to a team that was in such a good position to land Watson again.

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:25 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:38 pm
Pullo Vision wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:31 pm Please can we get back on track here...

I doubt the link between the two is that strong. Miami at one point had a ton of capital to work with, and a decent roster. Have Watson and Flores ever even met? There's no real history between the two that I know of, I just think that Flores wanted to pay up for Watson with the draft picks and QB Miami had. He probably won't be going to a team that was in such a good position to land Watson again.
Yeah, I've been trying to figure the link between the two. Shared agent? Friend married a niece? Worked the same commercial, or visited troops together overseas?

If there is no real connection, then bringing in Flores (as is currently rumored) doesn't really affect the chances Watson stays in Houston.

Yarnith
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Yarnith » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:56 pm

Interesting things about Flores being brought out. The trade deadline ended without Watson coming to Miami. Flores stops communicating with his asistants. No meetings, no game plan sessions, nothing. Miami goes on the win streak. I will be interested if the "Ego" reports where Flores basically had a tantrum with not getting his way was the source of the losing streak or if it was the front office. Perhaps someone who knows can share. Can the HC put in a game plan for Offense and Defense week to week without his coaching staff or was it the staff just doing their own plans in the player meetings for their perspective groups? Basically was the win streak all Flores work or just Flores being out of the way?
Cavaliers 12 team standard, 1QB, 1RB, 1WR, 2WR/TE, 1flex
QB: J. Allen, S. Howell, Z.Wilson
RB: A. Kamara, J. Taylor, CEH, K. Gainwell, P. Strong
WR: A.J. Brown, A. Cooper, J. Dotson, C. Ridley, E. Moore, W. Robinson, J. Meyers, T. Marshall,
TE: G. Kittle, J. Johnson, J. Woods, H. Henry
'23 1.10, 2.10, 3.10 '24 1, 2, 3
Recent Championships '19,'21,'22

Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends- 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 2Flex
QB: Mahomes, Purdy, Lance
RB: Pierce, Miller, K. Herbert, E. Hull
WR: Chase, Watson, Davis, JSN, Metchie, Pierce, V. Jefferson, Claypool, Thornton, Westbrook-Ikhine
TE: Pitts, Woods, Latu

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:40 pm

Bob mcadoo as Carolina OC float anyone's boat?

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:48 pm

Yarnith wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:56 pm Interesting things about Flores being brought out. The trade deadline ended without Watson coming to Miami. Flores stops communicating with his asistants. No meetings, no game plan sessions, nothing. Miami goes on the win streak. I will be interested if the "Ego" reports where Flores basically had a tantrum with not getting his way was the source of the losing streak or if it was the front office. Perhaps someone who knows can share. Can the HC put in a game plan for Offense and Defense week to week without his coaching staff or was it the staff just doing their own plans in the player meetings for their perspective groups? Basically was the win streak all Flores work or just Flores being out of the way?
:think: Wow. That's crazy. Almost like he was trying to lose his job. If this is true, it's almost certain that he had no belief in Tua, and knowing the front office did, he felt he had to get out. I mean, resigning at years end would have been the professional way to go, but who knows. Food for thought, though.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:51 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:40 pm Bob mcadoo as Carolina OC float anyone's boat?
Not at all.

Feel like people are forgetting quite how dire he was for the Giants. A spectacularly bad leader of men.

Pretty hard to say he was anything spectacular as an OC as well, considering his resume was bolstered by two future HOF QB's in Aaron Rodgers and Eli Manning (waves red flag at bull :twisted: )

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:36 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:40 pm Bob mcadoo as Carolina OC float anyone's boat?
i thought he played basketball!

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:03 pm

killer_of_giants wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:36 am
i thought he played basketball!
McAdoo about nothing :crazy:

YouMightDieTryin
MVP
MVP

Postby YouMightDieTryin » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:38 pm

Am I missing something? Why is Dan Quinn a finalist for a majority of HC jobs? Sans Parsons/Diggs production this defense wouldn't be top 15 or anywhere near that.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:57 pm

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:38 pm Am I missing something? Why is Dan Quinn a finalist for a majority of HC jobs? Sans Parsons/Diggs production this defense wouldn't be top 15 or anywhere near that.
Yes.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:16 pm

YouMightDieTryin wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:38 pm Am I missing something? Why is Dan Quinn a finalist for a majority of HC jobs? Sans Parsons/Diggs production this defense wouldn't be top 15 or anywhere near that.
I sure hope he stays in Dallas. He had that defense playing amazing given the youth. His attacking scheme was impressive. That defense should be way better next season and the led the league in takeaways this year.

The Players seem to really like him. Wouldn't bother me if Dallas made him the head coach. He seemed reinvigorated this past season.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts