2022 Coaching Carousel

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Postby Space Cowboy » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:09 pm

Of course they did him dirty - we all saw this coming the second he was hired. Bright side is he got a raise and an audition. He's now relevant and at the very least he'll get the assistant head coach title.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:01 pm

Ice wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:36 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:10 pm
Ice wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:43 pm

I see it differently. I think he was a place holder from the jump when they brought in Nick Caserio as GM. Culley did do a pretty good job given the turmoil around Watson.

Now there are 2 serious NE candidates that Caserio can go after in Josh McDaniels or Tom Flores.

This team was in full rebuild and actually played better than most expected. I don't see Culley having any issue in getting a job. May not be as a head coach but he will get snapped up pretty quick.

Caserio has brought quite a bit of calm as the GM after the dumpster fire that was the Texans the last few years.
Well, that's the problem.

If a team planned to hire a head coach as a placeholder, especially a black head coach, then that's pretty problematic. It would be different if he was an interim, but he had the official title.

What could he possibly get fired for right now given what he had to work with?
You don't really think they need a reason or even a reason that aligns with your viewpoint do you? It is a business and Houston is a huge market that might want to bring in a big name just because. It doesn't have to make sense but the cold hard facts are the Texans were really bad last year and as a result they were awarded the 3rd pick in the draft.

Bringing Race into this is stupid. Why would you even bring that up?

When people believe everything is racist then nothing is as the credibility meter becomes absolute zero. At some point; The Boy who Cried Wolf will become The Boy who cried Racist.
Ah, yes. Let's pretend race doesn't exist in a league where 70% of the players are black and there's 1 black HC and 2 black GMs.

You can't possibly think the optics of this particular aren't pouring more gasoline on it. It's clearly a real issue no matter how hard you want to avoid discussing it as a part of the equation.

He walked into an impossible situation to succeed and didn't get a real shot to show what he can do with a competent roster. His bank account won't suffer, but it's still a dirty situation.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:35 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:01 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:10 pm

Well, that's the problem.

If a team planned to hire a head coach as a placeholder, especially a black head coach, then that's pretty problematic. It would be different if he was an interim, but he had the official title.

What could he possibly get fired for right now given what he had to work with?
You don't really think they need a reason or even a reason that aligns with your viewpoint do you? It is a business and Houston is a huge market that might want to bring in a big name just because. It doesn't have to make sense but the cold hard facts are the Texans were really bad last year and as a result they were awarded the 3rd pick in the draft.

When people believe everything is racist then nothing is as the credibility meter becomes absolute zero. At some point; The Boy who Cried Wolf will become The Boy who cried Racist.
Ah, yes. Let's pretend race doesn't exist in a league where 70% of the players are black and there's 1 black HC and 2 black GMs.

You can't possibly think the optics of this particular aren't pouring more gasoline on it. It's clearly a real issue no matter how hard you want to avoid discussing it as a part of the equation.

He walked into an impossible situation to succeed and didn't get a real shot to show what he can do with a competent roster. His bank account won't suffer, but it's still a dirty situation.
Oh My!

Maybe you can go to a rally somewhere or try posting in a political thread.

You have absolutely no basis to call the Texans Racist.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:07 pm

Ice wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:35 pm
Cameron Giles wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:01 pm

Oh My!

Maybe you can go to a rally somewhere or try posting in a political thread.

You have absolutely no basis to call the Texans Racist.
Talking about race doesn't equate to a political discussion.

Nowhere in my post did I call the Texans racist. I said the NFL has a factual problem with not hiring black coaches or GMs in a league that is largely black, and that Culley getting saddled with a Bottom-2 roster as a rookie head coach and getting fired afterwards is bad optics for the league trying to improve on that. Even if he's a richer man going forward, he still got a raw deal in terms of getting an authentic chance to be a team's head coach.

This is a fantasy football forum, but there's no rule here that says we can't discuss actual football issues and this is an actual football issue that is being discussed all over Twitter and television today. It's certainly a part of the story.

yinzername
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby yinzername » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:31 pm

I’m with Cameron Giles here
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
Notable Assets in Rebuild
QB: Mahomes - Levis - Rudolph
RB: K Mitchell - J McLaughlin - C Rodriguez - Z Evans
WR: AJB - M Pittman- R Doubs - E Moore - Shaheed - C Tillman- A Iosivas
TE: MAndrews - Kraft
'24: 1.1, 1.7, 2.1, 2.6, 2.10, 3.1, 3.10
‘25: 1 1st, 2 2nds, 2 3rds

2nd year DFF
SF - PPR - 12t - start10
QB: TLaw - Purdy - Goff
RB: Chubb - D Montgomery - D Singletary - A Mattison - K Miller - J Hill
WR: CeeDee - Aiyuk - Rice - Godwin - J Reed - E Moore
TE: Kittle - Kincaid - Chig
picks: 1.09, 2.11

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:45 pm

@Cameron Giles

While specifically discussing the Texans and only the Texans you said:
If a team planned to hire a head coach as a placeholder, especially a black head coach, then that's pretty problematic.
Given the fact the Texans still owe Culley around 4 Million which is the remainder of his guarantee contract exactly what did you mean?

For the record, I actually live in the Houston area and thought Culley did a great job with what he had to work with but it is a tough business where you go into it knowing getting fired is the norm. We have seen 8 firings this year.
Last edited by Ice on Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DynoScout
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby DynoScout » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:49 pm

There is a macro issue around race in NFL leadership roles but that doesn’t preclude the Texans from doing whatever they believe to be in the best interest of their individual team (business) going forward. Shame for Culley, sure, but from my view its just business. They are not bound to keep him just because he avoided falling flat on his face. Hope he got a nice financial windfall and he certainly benefited from the exposure. Wish him all the best and hope the Texans find their guy, too.

Seems like it will be a former Pats guy, as it has appeared from the moment the GM was hired. It could be Flores, who wasn’t available last year when Culley was hired.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:57 pm

DynoScout wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:49 pm There is a macro issue around race in NFL leadership roles but that doesn’t preclude the Texans from doing whatever they believe to be in the best interest of their individual team (business) going forward. Shame for Culley, sure, but from my view its just business. They are not bound to keep him just because he avoided falling flat on his face. Hope he got a nice financial windfall and he certainly benefited from the exposure. Wish him all the best and hope the Texans find their guy, too.

Seems like it will be a former Pats guy, as it has appeared from the moment the GM was hired. It could be Flores, who wasn’t available last year when Culley was hired.
That is how see it.

My guess is the GM wants a young coach that fits in with viewpoint on players and someone he can work with during the draft. I think Flores would be great for the Texans but he will probably be chased by several of these teams looking.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:02 pm

Ice wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:45 pm @Cameron Giles

While specifically discussing the Texans and only the Texans you said:
If a team planned to hire a head coach as a placeholder, especially a black head coach, then that's pretty problematic.
Given the fact the Texans still owe Culley around 4 Million which is the remainder of his guarantee contract exactly what did you mean?

For the record, I actually live in the Houston area and thought Culley did a great job with what he had to work with but it is a tough business where you go into it knowing getting fired is the norm. We have seen 8 firings this year.
I already explained it to you. The NFL has had an issue for years with diverse coaching and executive hires in a league where players are 70%+ black. The NBA has a similar problem. There is currently 1 active NFL HC who is black, and 2 GMs who are black.

Culley was hired (great), but given a Bottom-2 roster that never had a chance to do anything relevant (bad) and he's canned after one season as HC (even worse). He didn't have an authentic shot to actually be successful.

The optics are bad for showing improvement with this. The issue isn't money. Every NFL HC makes millions of dollars.

I'm not saying that this situation is entirely race-related. I said that it is a part of the story.

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:06 pm

Optics are politics.
I wouldn’t want to be hired because of the color my skin.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:08 pm

Fishmud wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:06 pm Optics are politics.
I wouldn’t want to be hired because of the color my skin.
I'm sure black players would love to see more qualified black HCs. It's not about hiring Joe the Janitor to call plays just because he's black or a minority.

It's certainly a part of the story and discussion around the firing.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:10 pm

I see no evidence Culley was hired or fired for being black. I see a respected coach with a long career of success.

Teams should higher the best candidates regardless of race.

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:14 pm

Ice wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:10 pm I see no evidence Culley was hired or fired for being black. I see a respected coach with a long career of success.

You're replying with statements that I haven't said. I never said he was hired or fired because he is black. I said that firing him after saddling him with a terrible situation is bad optics for a league that lacks diversity in their coaching hires and supposedly is trying to improve on that.

Once again: Firing Culley after giving him a Bottom-2 roster after one season is bad optics for a league that lacks diverse coaching hires.

Representation on the sidelines and in the front office absolutely matters, especially in a league where the players are 70% black.

That doesn't mean hiring Brian the Ballboy as your GM because he's a minority.

kadun2
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby kadun2 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:16 pm

Ice wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:10 pm I see no evidence Culley was hired or fired for being black. I see a respected coach with a long career of success.

Exactly

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:26 pm

Your optics around the Texans coach are just that.....your optics.

I haven't seen DeMaurice Smith weigh in on Culley who heads up 100% of the players regardless of race.

I do think the NFL will hire a more diverse group as time goes by. Last year, I believe there were 5 minority head coaches.