What’s the Best Dynasty Advice You’ve Ever Received?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: What’s the Best Dynasty Advice You’ve Ever Received?

Postby nathanq42 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:50 pm

Patsfan86 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:38 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:29 am That Fantasy Points Per Touch is THE most predictive metric for RB success. I am the proud owner of Jaylen Samuels and Damien Williams on ALL my Dynasty rosters. Read 'em and weep, fellas.
:lol: :lol: This one will never go away and im all here for it

Go with your gut, I should have sold Antonio Gibson last offseason when he was being valued a top 5 Dynasty Rb, my gut told me to sell, i did not. I instead tried to build my team around him and went all in this season thinking id have a top 5 Rb. That ended horribly resulting in me being the 1.01 pick in 2022........ without having my own pick since i went all in.
Gibson was still RB11 in my half PPR (I think I've seen him quoted as high as RB9) I dont think you lost solely due to Gibson not being a top 5 RB (plus dynasty rankings dont necessarily correlate to year by year stats, being so young Gibson can still be worth a pretty penny at his current production.

The best advice I've gotten is to be honest with yourself on when you should go all in and when you should re-tool. in 2019 I finished 3rd last or something like that thanks to some injuries and poor performances, I blew the team up and I finished 5th after putting up a stinker in the first round in 2020 (would have been in the finals otherwise but cant verifiy if I would have won or not had I been there) and 3rd this year after having my team slaughtered by COVID and injuries to close out the season
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:52 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:50 pm
Patsfan86 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:38 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:29 am That Fantasy Points Per Touch is THE most predictive metric for RB success. I am the proud owner of Jaylen Samuels and Damien Williams on ALL my Dynasty rosters. Read 'em and weep, fellas.
:lol: :lol: This one will never go away and im all here for it

Go with your gut, I should have sold Antonio Gibson last offseason when he was being valued a top 5 Dynasty Rb, my gut told me to sell, i did not. I instead tried to build my team around him and went all in this season thinking id have a top 5 Rb. That ended horribly resulting in me being the 1.01 pick in 2022........ without having my own pick since i went all in.
Gibson was still RB11 in my half PPR (I think I've seen him quoted as high as RB9) I dont think you lost solely due to Gibson not being a top 5 RB (plus dynasty rankings dont necessarily correlate to year by year stats, being so young Gibson can still be worth a pretty penny at his current production.
He certainly wasnt the reason i lost but i did make some moves thinking he would be a top 5 Rb and if i traded other RBs away for WRs id be absolutely fine. That did not work out.

NWABCS
Captain
Captain

Postby NWABCS » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:16 am

dynastyninja wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:41 am To play devil's advocate here, I don't know if I believe the only guys your gut has told you to get are JT, Cook, and Henry. I agree with the sentiment, just casting a little doubt on the level of effectiveness.
You're right. I just used that as an example. I'm trying to look smart over here :lol:

I didn't go with my gut to get JT. I just got lucky because other owners went with theirs and JT was sitting there for me at 4.

2019:
My gut told me Parris Campbell and to pass on a trade down 5 spots (where Deebo was drafted).

2020:
I traded up in 2 leagues to draft Jerry Jeudy. I leapfrogged the same owner in both who took Justin Jefferson. I actually went back to look at message I sent him. "Well I might look really stupid in 2-3 years but my gut said JJ DEN over JJ MIN". Right now.. I'm looking dumb.

Going with your gut certainly doesn't always work but I'd rather trust myself. I find that you don't overthink or stress over things that way. Even if it does end up being the wrong choice.

Now.... everyone sit down and let me tell you about my Lee Evans "gut feeling" and how that worked out. :crazy:
12 team
1/2 PPR
Start: 1QB, 2RB, 1 R/W/T, 3W/T, 1SF, 1K, 1 DEF

QB: Mahomes, Burrow, Lawrence
RB: Bijan Robinson, J. Taylor, Etienne, B. Hall, Roschon Johnson, Najee
WR/TE: J. Jefferson, D. Samuel, AJ Brown, DJ Moore, J. Chase, Waddle, Nico Collins, Rashee Rice
K: Butker
DEF: Bills
2024 picks: 1.11, 3.04
2025 picks: 1st, two 2nds

12 team
1/2 ppr
Start: 1QB, 2RB, 1R/W/T, 3 W/T, 1SF

QB: Mahomes, Josh Allen, Aidan O'Connell, Mason Rudolph
RB: Javonte Williams, Barkley, Etienne, J. Warren, D. Foreman, K. Herbert, N. Harris, Chris Rodriguez
WR/TE: D. Adams, DJ Moore, DK Metcalf, Waddle, Pittman, Drake London, ARSB, Mark Andrews
2024 picks: 1.04, 2.01, 2.12, 3.05, 3.11, 4.04, 4.09, 5.05, 5.07
2025 picks: two 2nds

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:27 am

I am too proud for advice. Lol.
There is more than one way to skin a cat. I don’t mind hearing other opinions. It’s always helpful getting different points of views. But the best strategy is whatever works for you. You learn through taking your lumps, trial and error, and success. Eventually you’ll come up with a fantasy blueprint all your own, and that’s the best kind.
There is only one real blanket statement type of advice I think should apply to everyone-
This should be fun.

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:02 am

sugbear65 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:27 am I am too proud for advice. Lol.
There is more than one way to skin a cat. I don’t mind hearing other opinions. It’s always helpful getting different points of views. But the best strategy is whatever works for you. You learn through taking your lumps, trial and error, and success. Eventually you’ll come up with a fantasy blueprint all your own, and that’s the best kind.
There is only one real blanket statement type of advice I think should apply to everyone-
This should be fun.
This is a great point, i like this thread and love seeing the advice but you really just have to go about all of this your own way. Im going to be honest, im only in one league, its been around for 8 years and ive absolutely stunk for 6 of them and havent won a single playoff game the two years i have made the playoffs. I thought i was going to be really good this 2021 season but i was not and it was one of the most frustrating seasons ive had because i went all in and now im rebuilding AGAIN due to it.

However for some reason i still feel like things are clicking for me and im evaluating prices on players right and i value picks right, so im more confident playing dynasty. Even though i had an awful season i still feel like i finally get what im doing here, why? Because i scoured these boards for 5 years and read the articles on the website, but these boards have been the most helpful by far. So i guess thats my other piece of advice, do research, listen to opinions, and eventually things will click.

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:51 pm

sugbear65 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:27 am I am too proud for advice. Lol.
This should be fun.
This is true and goes along with trusting your gut.

Say if I was 60-40 on something and I asked for advice here, I'd certainly take it all into account. But I would need a strong 80-20 going the other way in order to sway me

bcap88
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bcap88 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:50 pm

Don’t be afraid to trade draft picks for proven players, not ever draft pick is going to hit and not ever 1.01 is gonna be a serviceable 7 plus year player
12 Team 1qb ppr 6 pt tds

QB:Mahomes,Stafford,
RB:Bijan,Gibbs,javonte Williams,Hubbard, Aaron jones,gainwell
WR:Higgins,London,aiyuk,Jsn
TE:Goedert,Fant
Taxi:Austin,pierce,Phillips,okonkwo,Washington,Jarrett,tucker, hooker

2025,2026 two first round picks in both years

nathanq42
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby nathanq42 » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:27 pm

bcap88 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:50 pm Don’t be afraid to trade draft picks for proven players, not ever draft pick is going to hit and not ever 1.01 is gonna be a serviceable 7 plus year player
Flip side. I traded 1.03 in 2017 for Arob. "Proven" players aren't guaranteed to keep performing
12 Team 1 ppr .1 points per carry
Garbage
QB Jalen Hurts
RB A-train, D'Onta Foreman,Jahmyr Gibbs, JK Dobbins, Rashaad Penny, AJ Dillon, Jerrick McKinnon, Joshua Kelley, TDP, Chase Edmonds, JRob, Zamir White
WR CeeDee Lamb, Justin Jefferson, DJ Moore, Hollywood Brown, Brandin Cooks, Odell Beckham Junior, Marvin Jones, Braxton Berrios, Richie James
TE Dalton Kincaid, Foster Moreau
+2 Flex
1.02, 1.06

MontrealBen
Role Player
Role Player

Postby MontrealBen » Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:58 pm

Perhaps silly or obvious, but timing matters. A pick will never have more value than just before you make it, and vets will never be cheaper than during your draft. The opposite is true during the season. If you take the earlier advice of always trying to make deals that are perceived as fair at the time, but pay attention to WHEN you should be trading for/away picks, you should win in the long run.

bcap88
Rookie
Rookie

Postby bcap88 » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:49 pm

nathanq42 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:27 pm
bcap88 wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:50 pm Don’t be afraid to trade draft picks for proven players, not ever draft pick is going to hit and not ever 1.01 is gonna be a serviceable 7 plus year player
Flip side. I traded 1.03 in 2017 for Arob. "Proven" players aren't guaranteed to keep performing
This is also true, I guess depends what kind/type of player you are trying to acquire and what phase your team is in (rebuild vs competitor). I literally just traded 2022 1.01,1.02,1.03 for swift and a 2023 1st(which now gives me 3 2023 first). Sometimes you have to gamble on young proven elite players to pull yourself out of a perpetual rebuild and sometimes the gamble doesn’t work out
12 Team 1qb ppr 6 pt tds

QB:Mahomes,Stafford,
RB:Bijan,Gibbs,javonte Williams,Hubbard, Aaron jones,gainwell
WR:Higgins,London,aiyuk,Jsn
TE:Goedert,Fant
Taxi:Austin,pierce,Phillips,okonkwo,Washington,Jarrett,tucker, hooker

2025,2026 two first round picks in both years

Orenthal Shames
Legend
Legend

Postby Orenthal Shames » Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:58 pm

Beware Coogan
16 team league
1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 2 Flex (RB/WR/TE)
26 upman rosters - full point ppr
2015, 17, 18, 19, 20 Champs

QB: Watson, Flacco Stidham
RB: Bijan, Gibbs, McLaughlin
WR: Olave, Addison, Flowers, Rice, Sutton, Downs, Mims, Tillman
TE: Kittle, Goedert, Chig, Woods
24 Picks: 1.06

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:20 am

Coogan is a thief and liar.

LOL

I dunno what this is, I saw it as a sig once and it stuck.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:31 am

SoftwoodGrampian wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:20 am Coogan is a thief and liar.

LOL

I dunno what this is, I saw it as a sig once and it stuck.
Cheater and a thief, I believe it was. I know, but don't want to stir up something that the mods had to lock, and really got quite heated.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:54 am

Coogan was Sleeper before it became a thing

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:01 am

cazzie33 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:54 am Coogan was Sleeper before it became a thing
:lol:
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick