Being Commish is NOT for Everyone

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
sloth8u
Degenerate
Degenerate

Being Commish is NOT for Everyone

Postby sloth8u » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:22 am

A few years ago I thought about starting this thread, and don't believe I ever did. Not sure that i remember an in depth thread/discussion about being the commish either. What brought me to the idea of posting in the past was having 2 commish walk from the league in the first few seasons. Why I'm posting today....over the years, I've heard you folks talk about situations/happenings and how they've been handled. Rarely do we see a post about how well the man in charge handled the situation, but thats ok in my opinion. Over the last 2 days, I've had 2 leagues fold that I never would have imagined when i entered (also had 1 fold last offseason), so figured now would be a great time to bring up the topic as it's highly likely that many reading this may be thinking about starting their own league now or in the next few months.

Some advice on whether or not starting a league may or may not be for you....

-are you committed? I know this sounds like a good idea now. How will you feel 5+ years from now? The owners joining your league are doing so with the intent that it will be going on for many years. Will they all be around forever? Of course not....but you are going to have a good majority of owners than plan on being there "forever" if you will. Hopefully when you need to replace, you are able to find owners that want to be there and like the atmosphere of the league (whatever that atmosphere is and trust me when I tell you that I've seen a ton of different conversations in the chats). Owners are not joining your dynasty league to have the commish walk away from it. 3 years seems like a long time in this game....reality is, your league is just getting started for a lot of the owners in your league.

-how do you handle losing? Obviously your not hoping to start a league and be a cellar dweller...but that can happen. You should not be folding your league because your not contending. If you can't handle losing and are the type that would rather quit than donate...PLEASE DO NOT START A LEAGUE. This really comes down to respect for the owners you're recruiting and whom ultimately join your league. If you already know that you won't be able to stick through the tough times...let someone else run the league/s you play in.

-are you able to put personal bias to the side? It's likely that there will be things come up that will test you. It's ok to give your opinion on these things, but ultimately...you really should listen to the owners in your league. Keep in mind that alot of us just want to play...we'll adjust to the rules as long as they are fair for everyone. A good set of bylaws can take care of most of these issues if you do decide to start a league. Be proud of your league, but realize that without the other owners, there is no league. If you can not put personal bias to the side when it comes to commish duties....if things tend to have to be "your way or no way"....play in as many leagues as you wish. IF you start a league, you need to make sure that your bylaws are very clear because things are going to pop up and you don't want something crazy happening at a bad time and then the majority pissed off at how you handled something.

I just tossed out a few thoughts there and am sure you guys can give many more tips for owners looking to start a league. Anyone out there looking to start a league? Feel free to ask any questions that you may have. We can certainly help.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Re: Being Commish is NOT for Everyone

Postby dynastyninja » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:16 am

The safeleagues-type commissioner is the commissioner of the future in my opinion. It's a terrible, thankless job that pays nothing unless you do it at scale like they're doing. I'd much prefer that.

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:59 am

sloth8u wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:22 am -are you committed? I know this sounds like a good idea now. How will you feel 5+ years from now?
i mean, i'm a fantasy football degenerate, and it's likely i will still be 5 years from now, but... if i only started things that i'm sure i will still be doing 5 years from now, i'd basically just wank and sleep (not that i'm doing much more than that, mind you).

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:28 pm

That's a long post.

My .02. Being commish is not for everyone cause it requires work, dedication and decision making. Most people have none of those, let alone 3.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:36 pm

Space Cowboy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:28 pm Being commish is not for everyone cause it requires work, dedication and decision making. Most people have none of those, let alone 3.
++

I also slightly disagree with the thought that "my way or the highway" is always a bad attitude for a commish. I've commished a lot of leagues and played in many times more. Every league has owners who have suggestions to "improve" the league. As Commish, it is not my job to listen to every freaking idea (sometimes more of a complaint than an idea,) then give it actual consideration for change. Every year, at least one owner suggest one idea to improve every league I commission. Sometimes, the same owner argues polar opposite suggestions in back-to-back years. Change the FA process to X because one move didn't end up in his favor and he feels it kept him out of the playoffs. Next year, he recommends changing the FA process to Y because one move didn't end up in his favor and he feels it kept him out of the championship game.

A commish has to draw the line. I have clearly explained rules/by-laws. I listen patiently to complainers/suggestors without ridiculing. I rarely change rules based on the complaints of one or two whiny owners. If you don't like my league, there are thousands of others. Not every league is for every owner, and not every owner is meant for every league.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

jgoodie24
Rookie
Rookie

Postby jgoodie24 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:22 pm

Anteaters wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:36 pm
Space Cowboy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:28 pm Being commish is not for everyone cause it requires work, dedication and decision making. Most people have none of those, let alone 3.
++

A commish has to draw the line. I have clearly explained rules/by-laws. I listen patiently to complainers/suggestors without ridiculing. I rarely change rules based on the complaints of one or two whiny owners. If you don't like my league, there are thousands of others. Not every league is for every owner, and not every owner is meant for every league.
+++

Clear rules posted where anyone can look at them is extremely important. If it's in writing, you don't have defend your decisions - just clip the appropriate section of the rules and send with the decision. On the flip side, never act like you are infallible. If you make an error, admit it and fix it as quickly and fairly as possible.

Someone always wants to change something. There's a balance to knowing what is necessary or may be beneficial and what is game-breaking or just complaining.
Riverside Van Dwellers - 2021 Champion
10 Team, 0.5 PPR:
starts 1 qb, 2 rb, 3 wr, 1 te, 1 flex, 1 D/ST, 1 K
12 bench, 4 IR, 3 Redshirts (2 yr limit)

QB: T. Brady, J. Garoppolo
RB: D. Singletary, D. Swift, CEH, J. Cook, J. Warren, J. McKinnon
WR: C. Kupp, T. Higgins, K. Allen, DeVonta Smith, G. Davis, A-R St. Brown, A. Pierce
TE: T. Higbee, TJ Hockenson
K: T. Bass, B. Maher
D/ST: Pit, Ind, LAR
IR: Marquise Brown
Redshirt: D. Ridder, K. Williams

2023 picks: 1, 2, 3, 4x2
2024 picks: 1, 2, 3, 4

d3sp3rad0
Rookie
Rookie

Postby d3sp3rad0 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:23 pm

Anteaters wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:36 pm Every year, at least one owner suggest one idea to improve every league I commission. Sometimes, the same owner argues polar opposite suggestions in back-to-back years.
I learned this lesson this year. Last year was our first year, my first time commissioning dynasty (long-time redraft commish). I had a very thoughtful and articulated constitution in place, thankfully, but all last year I had one guy complaining about how the byes were assigned (two division winners). Thankfully the top two teams were the division winners, so it was a moot point. But I honored his "complaint" and allowed an offseason vote - and I was completely dumbfounded when he went off in the group chat during the vote about how unfair it would be to NOT have division winners earn the byes.... as we were voting on HIS AMENDMENT PROPOSAL. :wall: I was dumbfounded. But I learned a very valuable lesson.
LOS DESPERADOS

2020 startup / 2020 champion

10 team | half-PPR | 1QB | 6-pt pass TD

QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, WR/TE, FLEX, FLEX

QB: Dak, Tua, Stafford, Tannehill, Purdy
RB: Saquon, Ekeler, D. Montgomery, Miles Sanders, Kamara, Gainwell, Cordarrelle, D. Henderson, Mark Ingram, Chase Edmonds, Boston Scott, Jordan Mason, Mike Boone
WR: Tyreek, Amari, D.J. Moore, Aiyuk, Jeudy, A. Robinson, Van Jefferson, Laviska, Odell, Hamler, D. Mims,
TE: Goedert, Njoku, Everett, Albert O., O.J. Howard

Taxi: Dyami, Tylan W.

2023 picks: 2.01 (11), 2.05 (15), 3.01 (21), 4.06 (36), 5.04 (44)

Pullo Vision
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Pullo Vision » Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:43 pm

d3sp3rad0 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:23 pm
Anteaters wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:36 pm Every year, at least one owner suggest one idea to improve every league I commission. Sometimes, the same owner argues polar opposite suggestions in back-to-back years.
I learned this lesson this year. Last year was our first year, my first time commissioning dynasty (long-time redraft commish). I had a very thoughtful and articulated constitution in place, thankfully, but all last year I had one guy complaining about how the byes were assigned (two division winners). Thankfully the top two teams were the division winners, so it was a moot point. But I honored his "complaint" and allowed an offseason vote - and I was completely dumbfounded when he went off in the group chat during the vote about how unfair it would be to NOT have division winners earn the byes.... as we were voting on HIS AMENDMENT PROPOSAL. :wall: I was dumbfounded. But I learned a very valuable lesson.
What was the lesson? Assuming the rules spelled out how to handle rule change requests and that process was followed, what lesson was there to learn?
League #1- 14 tm ppr, 1Q, 2R, 3W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1K
1 DT, 2 DE, 2 LB, 1 CB, 1 S, 1 flex

League #2- 12 team PPR, 1Q, 1R, 2W, 1T, 1 R/W/T, 1 W/R/T, 1 Def

League #3- 12 tm PPR, 1Q, 0R (yes, ZERO RB) 3W, 1T, 2 R/W/T flex, 1 Def

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:54 pm

Pullo Vision wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:43 pm
d3sp3rad0 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:23 pm
What was the lesson? Assuming the rules spelled out how to handle rule change requests and that process was followed, what lesson was there to learn?
don't humor annoying assholes?

slaughterrt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby slaughterrt » Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:18 pm

As a former Commish in two leagues, being a good Commish is also knowing when to step down. My two longest winning leagues (one about 10 years old and one about 6), were both my creations. I had been commissioning them both since inception, until stepping down in the 2020 offseason. I knew that my real-life plate was too full, and that I would not be able to shoulder the responsibility of running both of those leagues. Luckily I had two solid leagues with multiple owners willing to step up and continue running the leagues. I am still an active owner/team manager in both leagues and the new commissioners are doing a great job.

Another piece of advice for commissioners is to have a co-Commish or two. This greatly reduces the work/stress that the job can sometimes being.

Moral of the story is to surround yourself with competent people/commissioners/owners and you will be all the better for it. Same can be said in real life.

d3sp3rad0
Rookie
Rookie

Postby d3sp3rad0 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:34 pm

killer_of_giants wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:54 pm
Pullo Vision wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:43 pm
don't humor annoying assholes?
That's putting it bluntly lol but essentially. I guess to put it simply, I learned not to take every complaint at face value. I'm the type of person that if I am lobbying a complaint, it is well-thought out and is based on some some merit/value/principle that won't shift (e.g. based on what I perceive to be more advantageous to my team at the time). I try my very best to be objective as much as possible. I learned that you can't please everyone, especially those who are.... less than pleasant (and inherently selfish in nature). :D

But yes, the process and requirements for voting on/enacting rule changes/amendments was spelled out, and the vote did pass 8-2. For this issue it seemed to work out that I listened to this manager's request because (almost) everyone seems more comfortable with giving byes to the top two overall teams rather than division winners.

Moving forward, this particular manager's voice/opinions will carry little to no weight for me is all I'm saying.
LOS DESPERADOS

2020 startup / 2020 champion

10 team | half-PPR | 1QB | 6-pt pass TD

QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, WR/TE, FLEX, FLEX

QB: Dak, Tua, Stafford, Tannehill, Purdy
RB: Saquon, Ekeler, D. Montgomery, Miles Sanders, Kamara, Gainwell, Cordarrelle, D. Henderson, Mark Ingram, Chase Edmonds, Boston Scott, Jordan Mason, Mike Boone
WR: Tyreek, Amari, D.J. Moore, Aiyuk, Jeudy, A. Robinson, Van Jefferson, Laviska, Odell, Hamler, D. Mims,
TE: Goedert, Njoku, Everett, Albert O., O.J. Howard

Taxi: Dyami, Tylan W.

2023 picks: 2.01 (11), 2.05 (15), 3.01 (21), 4.06 (36), 5.04 (44)