Dalton Schultz: Situational Production or Something More?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Dalton Schultz: Situational Production or Something More?

Postby Cameron Giles » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:29 pm

Didn't see a thread on him.

He seems to have comfortably unseated Blake Jarwin as the starting TE in Dallas after Jarwin missed last season with an injury.

- Currently TE4 through Week 6 with a 31/359/3 line
- TE11 last season
- On pace for 87/1016/8
- Free agent after the season

Doesn't have a remarkable athletic or production profile, but keeps producing in a great offense.

Is there something more here, or is he an Austin Hooper-type flash in the pan of an average TE with great opportunity?

Ice
Legend
Legend

Re: Dalton Schultz: Situational Production or Something More?

Postby Ice » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:51 pm

Cameron Giles wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:29 pm Didn't see a thread on him.

He seems to have comfortably unseated Blake Jarwin as the starting TE in Dallas after Jarwin missed last season with an injury.

- Currently TE4 through Week 6 with a 31/359/3 line
- TE11 last season
- On pace for 87/1016/8
- Free agent after the season

Doesn't have a remarkable athletic or production profile, but keeps producing in a great offense.

Is there something more here, or is he an Austin Hooper-type flash in the pan of an average TE with great opportunity?
He is easily a TE 1 in that offense. He was drafted in the 4th round and was primarily a blocking TE in college but has turned into a very good receiver. Prescott seems to really like him.

Don't see him falling back anytime soon. Dallas is so loaded on offense he will be open a lot so I wouldn't sell him today unless you get great value. Top 5-8 for the next few years IMO.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:31 pm

I’d lean towards situational. This year he’ll likely continue to produce, but he’s on a Dallas team with a ton of other weapons for defenses to worry about. As you noted, unrestricted free agent after this year, and I’d be very worried about whether he can keep it up on a less talented team (assuming he doesn’t re-sign).
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:07 pm

Ruggenater wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:31 pm I’d lean towards situational. This year he’ll likely continue to produce, but he’s on a Dallas team with a ton of other weapons for defenses to worry about. As you noted, unrestricted free agent after this year, and I’d be very worried about whether he can keep it up on a less talented team (assuming he doesn’t re-sign).
Agreed. Anyone who's TE1 on Dallas can put up numbers, due to all the attention required from others. If he walks, it could be another Austin Hooper situation, and most likely would be, seeing a massive drop in production.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

MucBuc
Captain
Captain

Postby MucBuc » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:05 am

Situational due to the offense, I guess. And that may not be a bad thing. If other NFL teams share that view, they may not be willing to throw a lot of money at him, allowing DAL to re-sign him for cheap.
3x teams in 32-team standard PPR + IDP leagues

It doesn't matter what we want. Once we get it, we want something else.

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:59 am

Both. If he stays in Dallas he will be a legit starting fantasy tight end for years. He's pretty good and Dak likes him, and he has his own role on that offense that won't go away. I agree if he walks hes just Austin Hooper.

I've been trying to sell in my league as I already have Kelce, but nobody will buy for anything.

ArrylT
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby ArrylT » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:29 pm

He was a TE1 last year with Dak Prescott only playing 5 games. Put up similar fantasy production as Fant, Gesick and Andrews from Weeks 6-17.

I do not consider him a top tier TE in terms of talent or pedigree but anyone looking for a TE1 for a 1-2 window isnt going to care about that only the production which should be pretty safe floor with obvious top 6 upside on a weekly basis.

Also a good reminder that he is doing exactly what you expect from a decent TE - took 2 years to develop and has had good production once he developed and was given opportunity.
Please speak to clarion contrarion before considering the use of vetos..

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:08 pm

In a TE super premium league and couldn’t even swap him and a 3rd for a 2nd before the season… safe to say that value has changed.

But as was said above, nobody is willing to buy. Based on that I’m probably holding indefinitely

And from my understanding Jarwin’s contract has an out after this year… will be interesting to see if they can him and give the $’s to Schultz or let him walk.
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:36 am

ArrylT wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:29 pm He was a TE1 last year with Dak Prescott only playing 5 games. Put up similar fantasy production as Fant, Gesick and Andrews from Weeks 6-17.

I do not consider him a top tier TE in terms of talent or pedigree but anyone looking for a TE1 for a 1-2 window isnt going to care about that only the production which should be pretty safe floor with obvious top 6 upside on a weekly basis.

Also a good reminder that he is doing exactly what you expect from a decent TE - took 2 years to develop and has had good production once he developed and was given opportunity.
Last year the Cowboys D was epically bad. Cooper was WR1, as well, during that time. It's not the same game this year. He's going to be a viable TE as long as he's in Dallas. The issue is, he's not a great talent, and somebody else can step in and do it for cheaper. He may go elsewhere in FA, and that's going to most likely send his stats into possible Hooper terrritory.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:47 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:36 am
ArrylT wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:29 pm He was a TE1 last year with Dak Prescott only playing 5 games. Put up similar fantasy production as Fant, Gesick and Andrews from Weeks 6-17.

Last year the Cowboys D was epically bad. Cooper was WR1, as well, during that time. It's not the same game this year. He's going to be a viable TE as long as he's in Dallas. The issue is, he's not a great talent, and somebody else can step in and do it for cheaper. He may go elsewhere in FA, and that's going to most likely send his stats into possible Hooper terrritory.
What defines talent at the TE position? Certainly it is not pretty combine numbers with questionable hands and poor blocking skills.

By talent, is Njoku more talented than Schultz?
Who do you think will get the bigger contract next year, Schultz or the "more talented" Njoku? I'd bet on Schultz as he is a more well rounded complete TE capable of doing his job.

Situation is more important than perceived talent at the TE position. Certainly, you'd hope Schultz stays in Dallas as his situation there is ideal. However, I'd argue Schultz would succeed elsewhere too if the situation was good...For instance, I think he'd do well in Seattle and better than the "more talented" Gerald Everett, because Schultz is a better NFL TE and will play more snaps and receive his fair share of targets.

If he goes to the Jets, because they desperately need a TE and have plenty of cap space, then you'd have to rely on the Jets offense taking a step forward, but at least the TE position will be utilized by the Jets.

SteveMaddensShoes
Legend
Legend

Postby SteveMaddensShoes » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:27 am

remedy29 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:47 am

What defines talent at the TE position? Certainly it is not pretty combine numbers with questionable hands and poor blocking skills.

Who do you think will get the bigger contract next year, Schultz or the "more talented" Njoku? I'd bet on Schultz as he is a more well rounded complete TE capable of doing his job.

Situation is more important than perceived talent at the TE position. Certainly, you'd hope Schultz stays in Dallas as his situation there is ideal. However, I'd argue Schultz would succeed elsewhere too if the situation was good...For instance, I think he'd do well in Seattle and better than the "more talented" Gerald Everett, because Schultz is a better NFL TE and will play more snaps and receive his fair share of targets.

If he goes to the Jets, because they desperately need a TE and have plenty of cap space, then you'd have to rely on the Jets offense taking a step forward, but at least the TE position will be utilized by the Jets.
TE is somewhat situational. From what I can remember, RAS scores are very influential in TE rankings, though. A TE needs to be a 9+ most of the time to be truly elite. Not so much a predictor per se, but a TE would be in the top % if he is successful.

Go look up https://ras.football/2019/12/15/dalton- ... ras-15641/ and compare him to other elite TEs. I think it's safe to assume he is a technically proficient TE in a good situation. I'd be looking to sell, though not at a huge discount, since Dallas likes to overpay the wrong people, especially pass catchers. If I remember correctly it's not like Hooper dropped in price when he was traded to Cleveland. If Schultz is traded I would sell before he actually PLAYS for the new team though.
TEAM 1 - 12 man SF. ppr, TEP 1.65 ppr

11 starters - QB, RB(2) WR(3) TE, SF, Flex(3)

Stroud, Kyler, Bryce Young, Anthony Richardson, Minshew, Trey Lance, Dalton l, Mike White

Breece, Achane, AJ Dillon, Justice Hill, Evan Hull, Chris Rodgriquez

Chase, Lamb, Waddle, Olave, London Drake, Demario Davis, Jake Bobo

Kyle Pitts, Mark Andrews, Kincaid, Schoonmaker

24 picks - 1x2, 3,4,5

Team 2-
12 man SF, .25ppc, .5ppr rbs, 1 ppr wr, 1.5 ppr TE

Joe Burrow, Trevor Lawerence, Jake Haehner, Jake Browning

JT, Kendre Miller,, K Ingram, Ty Chandler, Michael Carter, Kenny Macintosh, Sean Tucker

Puka, Rondale, Mooney, Wan’dale, Terrace Marshall, DPJ, Justyn Ross, Xavier Hutchinson,

Kyle Pitts, Luke Musgrave, Juwan Johnson, Darnell Washington, Jelani Woods, Elijah Higgins

24 - 1st x 3, 2nd x 2, 4th x 3 ,5

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:36 am

remedy29 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:47 am

Schultz currently has 95% of his passes deemed catchable and plays in a really good offense.

Talent isn't everything at TE, but right now he's in a near perfect situation for a TE to succeed and doesn't have the overwhelming talent or skill to translate everywhere else. There's a long fall from that.

Gotta give him credit for maximizing the production, I'm just short on signs that nobody else could do what he's doing in the same role. It may not matter though if Dallas commits long-term, but after a big season he could be in line for a hefty pay raise.

Space Cowboy
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby Space Cowboy » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:47 am

He's every bit as good as a Hunter Henry or Logan Thomas. Maybe, just maybe slightly better. He's a smooth pass catcher with impressive YAC.

SoftwoodGrampian
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby SoftwoodGrampian » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:04 pm

Def a better athlete than his name and draft status earn him

thebeast
Legend
Legend

Postby thebeast » Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:07 am

So here we are at the end of the season and Schultz is TE4 in full PPR leagues. Where are we ranking him for next year? Having watched his recent performances I don't think this is a fluke and I think he can still develop further. His situation is also great as he's tied to Dak for the foreseeable future and Dak seems to trust him in critical moments and in the redzone.