Sob Stories - Everyone's 2021 Unfortunate Circumstances This Yr

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
KCLep20
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Re: Sob Stories - Everyone's 2021 Unfortunate Circumstances This Yr

Postby KCLep20 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:34 am

Lost Dobbins before the season started
Traded for AJB last year, then with Julio signing thought Tannehill would explode this year... (they all 3 have sucked)
Think I caught a break grabbing Damien Williams, he gets COVID
Russ goes down, erasing the WR1 potential of DK
Chubb gets hurt....

Sitting at 2-4 when I haven't missed the playoffs since 2015.
1QB/2RB/2WR/1TE/1Flex (RB/WR/TE)/1 Superflex (QB/RB/WR/TE)
'Ships: 2008, 2017, 2019, 2021; 2nd place: 2010, 2014, 2018, 2022
12 team PPR with 14 Keepers/year
2023 Draft Picks: 1.04, 1.05, 1.11, 3.04, 3.07, 5.04
QB: L.Jackson, J. Burrow, G. Minshew, J. Winston
RB: J.Mixon, ETN, Jav.Williams, J.Conner, Z.Moss, JK Dobbins (IR), N.Chubb (IR)
WR: AJB, CD Lamb, DK, C.Sutton
TE: M.Andrews, T.McBride, I. Likely

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:55 am

I dont want to hear sob stories :lol: this is why being good on paper doesnt matter. :lol:
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"
⛳️Jaguars will finish 11-6 and make the playoffs
⛳️If Sam Darnold finishes outside of the top 13 QB in 2021 then StripesOfKC & Sriracha get to decide what my new handle and icon will be. :thumbup:

12 TEAM SUPERFLEX PPR
START: QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 3 FLEX, 1 SUPERFLEX
ROSTER STARTERS
QB: S. Darnold (CAR)
RB: J. Jacobs (LV), L. Fournette (TB)
WR: Cooper (DAL), Ridley (ATL), M. Williams (LAC)
TE: R. Seals-Jones (WAS), M. Alie-Cox (IND)
FLEX: Sutton (DEN), J. Smith-Schuster (PIT), D. Harris (NE)
SUPERFLEX: M. Jones (NE)

BENCH:
QB: Rudolph (PIT), Book (NO), Minshew (PHL), Stidham (NE)
RB: Cord. Patterson (ATL), A. Collins (SEA), D. Dallas (SEA), K. Vaughn (TB), JJ Taylor (NE), S. Perine (CIN)
WR: M. Jones (JAX), Zaccheus (ATL), G. Olszewski (NE)
TE: B. Jarwin (DAL), D. Asiasi (NE)
IR: Tre' Q. Smith (NO), Tyrod Taylor (HOU), Chark Jr (JAX), R. Penny (SEA)

Nanananananana
Starter
Starter

Postby Nanananananana » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:08 am

I have one team that is favored every week but keep getting these rando’s scoring big on me.

3 weeks in a row from
CJ Uzoma
OJ Howard
D’Ernest Johnson

I’m not crying, this sort of stuff evens itself out between all the teams I manage but this one team this year keeps catching blowup games from scrubs.

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:18 am

For anyone who's sob story revolved around multiple bad matchups and being tops of their league in PF, but also in PA (so basically a record that reflects the strength of schedule much more than strength of team); I highly recommend moving to a two game a week system. I think one of the best set-ups myself is playing 1 game a week heads up against an individual opponent like normal, but another game every week against the median points scored. IOW, the top 5 scoring teams each week get a win on the record, the bottom 5 scoring teams get a loss. This has greatly reduced some of the unpredictable bad luck of matchups, but you still get to keep the competitive "me vs. that guy" aspect each week as well, which brings out some good sht talk and rivalries still.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:16 am

dustyroads wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:18 am For anyone who's sob story revolved around multiple bad matchups and being tops of their league in PF, but also in PA (so basically a record that reflects the strength of schedule much more than strength of team); I highly recommend moving to a two game a week system. I think one of the best set-ups myself is playing 1 game a week heads up against an individual opponent like normal, but another game every week against the median points scored. IOW, the top 5 scoring teams each week get a win on the record, the bottom 5 scoring teams get a loss. This has greatly reduced some of the unpredictable bad luck of matchups, but you still get to keep the competitive "me vs. that guy" aspect each week as well, which brings out some good sht talk and rivalries still.
I like traditional double headers every week. Even better is victory points scoring. Both help to flatten out the teams that get lucky to play a low scoring team each week and vice versa.

You can't take away the luck factor, but you can help reduce the drastic highs and lows.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

dustyroads
Starter
Starter

Postby dustyroads » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:21 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:16 am
dustyroads wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:18 am For anyone who's sob story revolved around multiple bad matchups and being tops of their league in PF, but also in PA (so basically a record that reflects the strength of schedule much more than strength of team); I highly recommend moving to a two game a week system. I think one of the best set-ups myself is playing 1 game a week heads up against an individual opponent like normal, but another game every week against the median points scored. IOW, the top 5 scoring teams each week get a win on the record, the bottom 5 scoring teams get a loss. This has greatly reduced some of the unpredictable bad luck of matchups, but you still get to keep the competitive "me vs. that guy" aspect each week as well, which brings out some good sht talk and rivalries still.
I like traditional double headers every week. Even better is victory points scoring. Both help to flatten out the teams that get lucky to play a low scoring team each week and vice versa.

You can't take away the luck factor, but you can help reduce the drastic highs and lows.
Yeah as a commissioner I feel like every year we've made changes to try and reduce the luck factor, any fantasy in general has migrated in that direction for the most part. Moving to FAAB instead of rotating waivers, doing away with scoring bonuses based on arbitrary thresholds (1 pt bonus for 50 yard receptions, etc.), using IDP instead of team DEF, adjusting kicker scoring (or just dropping the position completely), improving how dynasties determine rookie draft order. Most recently it was moving to the two game a week thing. I've been slowly leaving my leagues that don't have most of these changes as it's incredibly frustrating to deal with after having seen the benefits of moving away from them. One of my longest leagues (I'm not commissioner of obv.) still uses H2H record as a tie breaker for playoff seeding and it's screwed me two of the past three years.

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:20 pm

I had a late draft in one league and let preseason chatter affect my rankings. I passed on JaMarr Chase for Trey Lance for a league converting to SF in a couple years.

Up until August, I assumed I was going to get either Chase or Pitts and would have been thrilled with either.

Hankybro21
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby Hankybro21 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:20 am

All the injuries on Team 2. I went from top 2/3 team and heavily competing to wondering if I'll make the playoffs.

As of now, IR/Out: Russ, Watson, Zach Wilson, CEH, Dobbins, ETN, MT....with Waller and Hock banged up.

Not great.
Team 1
Q: Allen, Lamar
W: Devonta, Nuk, Godwin, Adams, Diontae, MT, Bateman, Toney, Osborn
R: JT, Henry, Ekeler, Gibbs, Mattison, Ford
T: Kelce

Team 2
Q: Allen, Mahomes, ARich
W: Jefferson, AJB, Tyreek, GW, Ridley, Godwin, MT, Downs, Toney
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, Breece, J. Cook, Kamara
T: Kelce, Hock
2024: 1.02, 1.04, Pick 21
2025: 1st (early)

Team 3
Q: Lamar, Herbert, Goff, Geno
W: Chase, AJB, Waddle, Pittman, Ridley, MT, Terrace Marshall, Downs
R: CMC, Ekeler, Bijan, Barkley, JT, Kamara, Tucker
T: Andrews, Granson
2024: 1.03, 3rd (late)

Team 4
Q: Mahomes, Allen, Geno
W: Tyreek, Lamb, Ridley, Pittman, Diontae, MT
R: CMC, Henry, JT, Chubb, Dobbins, Tucker
T: Kelce, Gesicki, Kittle

sugbear65
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby sugbear65 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:53 am

Looking at this thread reminds me why I don’t build teams around RBs. Rather load up on quality backups and trade for cheap help during the season if needed, while beefing up the other positions.
At the very least, this helps me remember my golden rule- Never trade significant value for a RB that’s not still on their rookie contract!

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:06 am

sugbear65 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:53 am Looking at this thread reminds me why I don’t build teams around RBs. Rather load up on quality backups and trade for cheap help during the season if needed, while beefing up the other positions.
At the very least, this helps me remember my golden rule- Never trade significant value for a RB that’s not still on their rookie contract!
Bingo. As a Hubbard owner, it's funny how many offers I've got including CMC. Normally, the owners of the stud RB is supposed to trade for the handcuff

Patsfan86
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Patsfan86 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:14 pm

sugbear65 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:53 am Looking at this thread reminds me why I don’t build teams around RBs. Rather load up on quality backups and trade for cheap help during the season if needed, while beefing up the other positions.
Yup, i started out pretty bad so i decided to go full tank while trading away all my RBs and keeping my young WRs while also acquiring as many firsts as possible. I traded Chubb, Gibson, and Jacobs and got great returns on all of them. Because of these trades i was able to add Claypool, Hockenson, Etienne on the cheap as well as 3 firsts and 2 seconds. Next step is to snag some more WRs, maybe go in the tank again next year and draft a RB to pair with Etienne. I also have cheaper young depth options at RB like Chris Evans, Singletary, JJ Taylor. With some luck im competing in 2023

burntfire
Role Player
Role Player

Postby burntfire » Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:43 pm

Well add Tonyan to the list.
14 Team Super Flex, 1 PPR
QB, 3WR, 2RB, 1TE, 1 Flex, 1 SFlex, 3 IR

QB: Davis Mills, Kenny Pickett, Sam Darnold, Matt Corral
WR: Chris Godwin, A.J Brown, D.K. Metcalf, Jerry Jeudy, Jalen Reagor, Allen Lazard, K.J. Osborn, Skyy Moore, Tutu Atwell, Greg Dortch
RB: Josh Jacobs, Khalil Herbert, Tyson Chandler, Ronald Jones, K Gainwell
TE: Robert Tonyan, David Njoku, Jonnu Smith, Gerald Everett, Jelani Woods
2023: 1.05, 1.08
2024: 1

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:19 pm

Who you targeting for cheap help right now?

I feel thin at RB in my sig league and haven’t had much luck so far. I do have the firepower to get someone not so cheap, but obviously would love to hold on to picks too.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:46 pm

honcho55 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:19 pm

I feel thin at RB in my sig league and haven’t had much luck so far. I do have the firepower to get someone not so cheap, but obviously would love to hold on to picks too.
The only ones I can imagine being cheap right now that are also productive and should maintain their current roles (i.e., not including guys like Booker and Perine) are Cordarrelle Patterson and James Conner. Otherwise, everyone is hurting at RB, increasing the price on productive starters.
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

The MAC Machine
Captain
Captain

Postby The MAC Machine » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:55 pm

Ruggenater wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:46 pm
honcho55 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:19 pm

The only ones I can imagine being cheap right now that are also productive and should maintain their current roles (i.e., not including guys like Booker and Perine) are Cordarrelle Patterson and James Conner. Otherwise, everyone is hurting at RB, increasing the price on productive starters.
Jacobs
Robinson
K Herbert
Mattison
JJ Taylor
Samaje Perine (short term)/Chris Evans (long term)
Keyshawn Vaughn
AJ Dillon
The Handle Formerly Known as "The Godwin Complex"
⛳️Jaguars will finish 11-6 and make the playoffs
⛳️If Sam Darnold finishes outside of the top 13 QB in 2021 then StripesOfKC & Sriracha get to decide what my new handle and icon will be. :thumbup:

12 TEAM SUPERFLEX PPR
START: QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 2 TE, 3 FLEX, 1 SUPERFLEX
ROSTER STARTERS
QB: S. Darnold (CAR)
RB: J. Jacobs (LV), L. Fournette (TB)
WR: Cooper (DAL), Ridley (ATL), M. Williams (LAC)
TE: R. Seals-Jones (WAS), M. Alie-Cox (IND)
FLEX: Sutton (DEN), J. Smith-Schuster (PIT), D. Harris (NE)
SUPERFLEX: M. Jones (NE)

BENCH:
QB: Rudolph (PIT), Book (NO), Minshew (PHL), Stidham (NE)
RB: Cord. Patterson (ATL), A. Collins (SEA), D. Dallas (SEA), K. Vaughn (TB), JJ Taylor (NE), S. Perine (CIN)
WR: M. Jones (JAX), Zaccheus (ATL), G. Olszewski (NE)
TE: B. Jarwin (DAL), D. Asiasi (NE)
IR: Tre' Q. Smith (NO), Tyrod Taylor (HOU), Chark Jr (JAX), R. Penny (SEA)