Jalen Hurts: What's the verdict?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Re: Jalen Hurts: What's the verdict?

Postby Ruggenater » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:52 pm

abloom wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:19 pm Bad NFL QB with a bad coaching staff.

He needs to improve all aspects of his passing game.

Can he run with his legs? Yes
Can he put up good fantasy numbers? Yes
Is he going to keep a starting job in the NFL? Not a long one. Maybe eagles keep him as the starter next year, or maybe they draft a QB in the first round or use some their capital to get a better one.
Bad coaching staff? Preseason projections regularly had the Eagles as a cellar dweller, but thanks to the adjustments of said coaching staff, they clinched a playoff spot before the final week of the season. The team massively outperformed expectations this year—if both Hurts and the coaching staff are terrible, who deserves credit for the relative success?
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:27 pm

Ruggenater wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:52 pm

Is he going to keep a starting job in the NFL? Not a long one. Maybe eagles keep him as the starter next year, or maybe they draft a QB in the first round or use some their capital to get a better one.
Bad coaching staff? Preseason projections regularly had the Eagles as a cellar dweller, but thanks to the adjustments of said coaching staff, they clinched a playoff spot before the final week of the season. The team massively outperformed expectations this year—if both Hurts and the coaching staff are terrible, who deserves credit for the relative success?
I'd credit the schedule mostly lol Giants, WFT x2, Jets, Lions, Broncos, Saints. Idk about massively outperformed... their over under for wins was 6.5 and they got 9.

I mean solid adjustments probably from the coaching staff to play to their strengths, but they really had no business sneaking in the playoffs.
Last edited by Jigga94 on Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abloom
GOAT
GOAT

Postby abloom » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:28 pm

Coaching staff gets credit for finally realizing half way through the season that they should be running the ball with their rbs and not throwing as much with their running QB. But somehow they learned this far after most others did.
Team #1: 2nd place
12 team, 1 ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,2F,1D,1K

Q: Kyler, AR
R: JT, CMC, Barkley, chandler
W: Evans, Chase, Mooney, Collins, Dell, Pickens
T: Kelce, Goedert
D: nyj
K: Sanders

Team #2: back to back champion
12 team, 1ppr (1.5 te), 1Q,2R,2W,1T,1SF,1F,1D,1K

Q: R Wilson, Murray, Watson
R: Swift, Walker, gus bus
W: Puka, Metcalf, Dell, Cooper, DJM, K Allen
T: Kelce, Pitts
K: Tucker
D: CLE

Team #3: back to back champion
14 team, SF, 1PPR (2PPR for TE), 1Q,2R,3W,1T,1SF,2F

Q: Mahomes, Rodgers, Watson, Heinicke, walker
R: Mostert, walker, a Jones, Wilson, Charb, Z White, McLaughlin, freeman, d Williams, Reynolds,
W: Waddle, A St Brown, K Allen, Cooper, Nuk, Juju
T: Kelce, Schultz, Thomas, Ferguson

Team #4 3rd
https://www49.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0004&O=01

Team #5 4th
https://www45.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =07&F=0009

Team #6 orphan
https://www46.myfantasyleague.com/2024/ ... =0013&O=07

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:38 pm

Hurts with his 4th quarter magic padding his stats, but this game was 31-0 well into the 4th, and the game was over. Bucs just started playing softer concepts, or the stat line would have been even uglier. He's just not a good NFL QB. He will probably be the starter next year, unless the Eagles really have their heart set on someone in this draft, or want to pay up for Watson. Neither are that likely, but they won't get to where they want to get to with Hurts. Still, getting a few years of good production for a 2nd round SF pick isn't the worst thing in the world.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Ruggenater
All Pro
All Pro

Postby Ruggenater » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:57 pm

Jigga94 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:27 pm

I'd credit the schedule mostly lol Giants, WFT x2, Jets, Lions, Broncos, Saints. Idk about massively outperformed... their over under for wins was 6.5 and they got 9.

I mean solid adjustments probably from the coaching staff to play to their strengths, but they really had no business sneaking in the playoffs.
Sure, it was an easy schedule and that definitely helped, but that schedule was known when everyone made preseason predictions as well. Most projections I saw had the Eagles at 4-5 wins and in line for a top 5 draft pick.
12 Team Superflex - PPR, 0.25 PPC - QB/2RB/3WR/TE/Flex/Superflex
QB: L Jackson, Tagovailoa, Rodgers, Pickett, Tannehill
RB: Swift, Pacheco, Sanders, Hubbard, Spears, Dillon, Herbert, McLaughlin, Chandler, Dowdle
WR: DeVonta, Waddle, Aiyuk, Nacua, McLaurin, Hopkins, M Williams, Mingo, Wan’Dale, Hyatt
TE: Kelce, Okonkwo, Schoonmaker

StripesOfKC
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby StripesOfKC » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:03 pm

Ruggenater wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:57 pm
Jigga94 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:27 pm

Sure, it was an easy schedule and that definitely helped, but that schedule was known when everyone made preseason predictions as well. Most projections I saw had the Eagles at 4-5 wins and in line for a top 5 draft pick.
I don't know if Sirianni is good or bad. It's early to say

But with 7 team playoffs plenty of bad teams can stumble in

Remember the Bears made it last year and no one considers that an great coaching job by Nagy

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:08 pm

Hurts vs Davis Mills? Who's the better QB? Both might end up as starters next year. Mills definitely looks like he can throw the ball better to my eyes, though I haven't seen a ton of him. For FF, the rushing makes it Hurts, but who's the better actual QB?
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Jigga94
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Jigga94 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:16 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:08 pm Hurts vs Davis Mills? Who's the better QB? Both might end up as starters next year. Mills definitely looks like he can throw the ball better to my eyes, though I haven't seen a ton of him. For FF, the rushing makes it Hurts, but who's the better actual QB?
I'd think strictly as a passer, Mills. But I would take Hurts for the dual threat and hope he can progress as a passer enough to be a long term starter. I guess I see Hurts with a much higher ceiling, even though im with you that he's not a very good QB right now passing the ball

cazzie33
All Pro
All Pro

Postby cazzie33 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:58 pm

Hurts looked like he hasn’t been coached very well in the passing game nuances or just doesn’t see it or anticipate well. Troy Aikman was continually bringing it up how Hurts waits til he “sees” the guy open before delivering the ball so it way too often ends up late & behind . As he stands now he isn’t a good NFL QB but can see lots of things he can clean up or be coached up if he’s any kind of learner.

Question now is does the Philly front office have the patience 🤔

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:33 pm

cazzie33 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:58 pm Hurts looked like he hasn’t been coached very well in the passing game nuances or just doesn’t see it or anticipate well. Troy Aikman was continually bringing it up how Hurts waits til he “sees” the guy open before delivering the ball so it way too often ends up late & behind . As he stands now he isn’t a good NFL QB but can see lots of things he can clean up or be coached up if he’s any kind of learner.

Question now is does the Philly front office have the patience 🤔
I still don't see 20 better QB's in the league that are long for it, and I don't see too many "killers" in the 2022 draft.

Even if the Eagles make a move, you can bet that Howie will extract value and then ship Hurts.

He's a self-contained fantasy asset. He sinks any fantasy offense he's in, but is always the player at the centre of it that you want - much like early Lamar. No matter if he's starting for the Eagles, Seahawks, or even the Vikings or Steelers or Saints next year - he's still going to be worth holding on any competing roster as a player with week-winning upside in fantasy.

As to his longevity: no arguments here, I've always noted that it contends on him continuing to grow and get better. As bad as today was, you can't argue that he did not improve as the season went on. It is what it is: another young QB in a long line of them making his first NFL playoff start and losing to Tom Brady on a team that was grossly underfunded this year and (imo greatly) exceeded preseason expectations. No shame in that.

dondickenson
Starter
Starter

Postby dondickenson » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:12 am

Below average QB, even in fantasy, until garbage time. Eagles clearly did not belong in the playoffs and the NFC East should be relegated. Chances he sticks as a long term starter are dwindling, and holding him is a big gamble now. There's a chance he works out for you, but I would sell for absolute sure while he still has some borderline QB1 value.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:56 am

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:08 pm Hurts vs Davis Mills? Who's the better QB? Both might end up as starters next year. Mills definitely looks like he can throw the ball better to my eyes, though I haven't seen a ton of him. For FF, the rushing makes it Hurts, but who's the better actual QB?
Mills can actually throw the ball with accuracy down field. He was the best of any rookie in this area and IMO was the 2nd best rookie QB overall this season behind Jones.

Mills really showed improvement the more he played. He has a good shot to be the starter in Houston next season. His yards per attempt were not what one would like to see but then again the Texans didn't have the talent to really support him.

Don't think your eyes are lying to you; Hurts really has accuracy issue down field. Some of his throws are really offline. Ultimately, he will need to fix that or he won't start long in this league. Hurts is obviously way more athletic.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

Pyro_6138
Starter
Starter

Postby Pyro_6138 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:21 am

As an Eagles fan I've been saying Hurts isn't the guy since they drafted him he's looked like the same player he was at OU there's been no progress as a passer in the 2 years he's had at the pro level his mechanics arent great and his reads are slow he also seems to lack any sort of touch on the ball which I'd probably attribute to his throwing motion. Not entirely his fault Howie "QB Factory" Roseman over drafted him then did nothing to help him grow as a passer.

The Eagles as a team are in a tough spot. Do you give uo a ton of assets for a Wilson or Watson when you clearly need help on both sides of the ball? Do you sit tight and just draft one of the QBs with one of those 3 1sts if so isn't that just doing the same thing as hoping Hurts figures it out? Give up draft capital to move up and grab a QB in an uninspiring class considering again you need clearly need more overall talent. I personally feel they'd be better off trading off Hurts starting Minshew and tanking next year and gambling on a QB then.
10 team .5pt PPR 1 QB, 2 RB, 2WR, 1TE, FLEX, 4DL, 4LB, 4DB

QB- Josh Allen, Garoppalo, Wentz, Pickett
RB- Swift, Josh Jacobs, CEH, Breece, Penny, Pacheco, Josh Kelley, Drake, Keontay Ingram, Hubbard
WR- Godwin, DJM, Cooks, Aiyuk Jeudy, Juju, Reynolds, Pickens,
TE- Andrews, Ertz, Jordan
DL- Leonard Williams, Payne, Ojulari, Franklin-Myers, Tuitt, Greenard,
LB- Shaq Thompson, Anthony Walker, Myles Jack, JOK, Kirksey, Oweh, Ernest Jones, Kyzir White
DB - Jessie Bates, Micah Hyde, Jalen Thompson, Quandre Diggs, Moehrig, Kareem Jackson, Gardner-Johnson

10 Team 4 Keepers IDP, 2QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, 2WR/TE, 2IDP Flex, 2DL, 3LB 2DB

QB - Mayfield, Carr, Zach Wilson
RB - Chubb, Najee Harris, Ronald Jones, Michel
WR - Hopkins, OBJ, Claypool, Pittman, Sutton, Chase, Rondale Moore
TE - Kittle, Higbee
DL/ LB - Bosa, Shaq Barrett, Reddick, Chubb, Jabril Peppers, Landry, Jaelan Phillips
DB - Byard, Bates, Horn

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:40 am

Pyro_6138 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:21 am As an Eagles fan I've been saying Hurts isn't the guy since they drafted him he's looked like the same player he was at OU there's been no progress as a passer in the 2 years he's had at the pro level his mechanics arent great and his reads are slow he also seems to lack any sort of touch on the ball which I'd probably attribute to his throwing motion. Not entirely his fault Howie "QB Factory" Roseman over drafted him then did nothing to help him grow as a passer.

The Eagles as a team are in a tough spot. Do you give uo a ton of assets for a Wilson or Watson when you clearly need help on both sides of the ball? Do you sit tight and just draft one of the QBs with one of those 3 1sts if so isn't that just doing the same thing as hoping Hurts figures it out? Give up draft capital to move up and grab a QB in an uninspiring class considering again you need clearly need more overall talent. I personally feel they'd be better off trading off Hurts starting Minshew and tanking next year and gambling on a QB then.
Maybe 12-13 QB's in the league are good enough to win in today's NFL. Maybe a Cousins or a Jimmy G are the last two on the list that can get it done.

The Eagles may be able to get one of 4 including those 2 but it will be expensive.

1) Watson is damaged goods with a no trade clause
2) Wilson looks like he has lost a bit but maybe a chance
3) Cousins could be had but will probably get extended.
4) Jimmy G looks like the target but he will be targeted by a lot of teams.

Yep your Eagles are in a tough spot.

I know everyone thinks Watson will get traded but the Texans may just let him sit unless someone really steps up if he ever puts his off field issue behind him. Best talent but biggest gamble by far at this point. Texans will probably demand at minimum 3 first round picks to even consider moving him given they are a long way off so can be patient.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:49 pm

Pyro_6138 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:21 am As an Eagles fan I've been saying Hurts isn't the guy since they drafted him he's looked like the same player he was at OU there's been no progress as a passer in the 2 years he's had at the pro level his mechanics arent great and his reads are slow he also seems to lack any sort of touch on the ball which I'd probably attribute to his throwing motion. Not entirely his fault Howie "QB Factory" Roseman over drafted him then did nothing to help him grow as a passer.

Unless a QB falls in our lap we're probably stuck with Hurts/Minshew again next year. Even if Watson looks clear to play he's going to require all the ammo we have. I can't picture Rodgers ever going to the Eagles (still think he stays a Packer). Russ is a maybe, looks likely that he will leave Denver. Cousins or Garoppolo? Not sure the perceived upgrade is worth the price, but maybe. We're probably best off fleshing out the roster and loading up the defense. Then again it's Howie making the picks and an owner that wants a high powered offense.

Like a lot of teams we're pretty much stuck in mediocrity without getting a high end quarterback. Take Hurts out of the game script suited for him and he gets exposed.