Jalen Hurts: What's the verdict?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Re: Jalen Hurts: What's the verdict?

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:01 pm

mild wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:33 pm
remedy29 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:20 pm Was I watching a different game? Didn't Hurts throw an extreme easy catchable ball for the win that his WR dropped?

That WR, Reagor, will be out of the league way sooner than Hurts.

Hurts had a bad game, but winnable. He just didn't have a winnable roster to work with.
That definitely happened. Twice... off Reagors hands both times.

But. They were in that position because of some notably bone-headed decisions of his own in the earlier going that he needs to learn from. Closing out the half, seconds left on the clock, he forces a sideline throw that is INT'd... just throw that away bud. Take the 3 points, tie the game.

Hopefully he learns these lessons and learns not to "beat himself" a little more going forward. It's clear that if he's in an offense that caters to his skill set, then he can have success. That's all just learning to be a pro, and lets hope he keeps doing that - because we should want to root for him to be a starter in this league with the kind of scoring he is capable of putting up.

Trust the Giants and their bust of a 50 million dollar defense to fire a coach, then finally wake up for a Week 13 Philly game in an already-lost season. :lol:
Why? I'm not rooting against him, per se but he, and this offense are complete bore, from a football watching perspective. Through a FF lense, his points are largely due to rushing. If someone gets those points on their FF team, I suppose that's exciting, but as a football fan, the offense they are forced to run with this guy is a snooze fest.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:05 pm

remedy29 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:20 pm Was I watching a different game? Didn't Hurts throw an extreme easy catchable ball for the win that his WR dropped?

That WR, Reagor, will be out of the league way sooner than Hurts.

Hurts had a bad game, but winnable. He just didn't have a winnable roster to work with.
This doesn't make much sense. If he was bad all game, and they still could have won the game at the end, how was the roster not winnable? Pretty sure a majority of NFL QB's could have won with that roster vs the Giants today. Yes, Reagor should have come down with that ball at the end. However Hurts did nothing all game, other than turn the ball over, and that's a big reason why they were in the position they were in to begin with. The Giants being a terrible team was the reason the Eagles had a chance at the end.

MFundercover
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Postby MFundercover » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:12 pm

Hurts just doesn't have the arm talent. When game script doesn't go his way, or he puts himself in a hole with INTs he's exposed.

I love the kid personally and wish he could play, but he's just not it. Reagor has contributed nothing in the NFL but he's just a scapegoat for the loss today. Actually there's a lot of blame to go around, but this one was on Hurts more than anyone.

Pac_Eddy
Legend
Legend

Postby Pac_Eddy » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:31 pm

Hurts reminds me of Tim Tebow. Gets fantasy points by rushing, can't throw.

"But did you see that game winning drive?'"

Yep. And if he were a decent passer, they'd have been up big at that point and wouldn't have needed late game heroics.
Not all that counts can be counted. Not all that can be counted counts.

dynastyninja
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Postby dynastyninja » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:50 pm

Hard to have many positive takeaways for Hurts after that game, even with the Reagor drop. That was ugly.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:52 pm

FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:01 pm Why? I'm not rooting against him, per se but he, and this offense are complete bore, from a football watching perspective. Through a FF lense, his points are largely due to rushing. If someone gets those points on their FF team, I suppose that's exciting, but as a football fan, the offense they are forced to run with this guy is a snooze fest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iexSWjr7kjw

Because we like fun? Because we'd rather have more "good" players in the NFL than bad ones? Because if he works out, and you're a fantasy shareholder, you're looking at the most volatile asset valuation since Crytpocurrency and you're hoping you've struck fantasy gold?

I dunno, this one doesn't really need any objective justification. You can just turn off Eagles games, much like how we turn off the Broncos and the Raiders and the Lions and the Browns and the Dalton-era Bengals because they bore us so.

I could see Hurts being a very entertaining watch if he could improve his throwing just a touch more. He was fun playing this style at Oklahoma, that's for sure.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:25 pm

mild wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:52 pm
FantasyFreak wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:01 pm Why? I'm not rooting against him, per se but he, and this offense are complete bore, from a football watching perspective. Through a FF lense, his points are largely due to rushing. If someone gets those points on their FF team, I suppose that's exciting, but as a football fan, the offense they are forced to run with this guy is a snooze fest.

Because we like fun? Because we'd rather have more "good" players in the NFL than bad ones? Because if he works out, and you're a fantasy shareholder, you're looking at the most volatile asset valuation since Crytpocurrency and you're hoping you've struck fantasy gold?

I dunno, this one doesn't really need any objective justification. You can just turn off Eagles games, much like how we turn off the Broncos and the Raiders and the Lions and the Browns and the Dalton-era Bengals because they bore us so.

I could see Hurts being a very entertaining watch if he could improve his throwing just a touch more. He was fun playing this style at Oklahoma, that's for sure.
I'd say a lot more, personally. To cut it in the NFL, he's going to need to. If he does, sure, THEN he'd be fun to watch. But I am just not seeing it. I'm being a realist. I suppose I can cheer against my instinct telling me he's not good and boring, and hope he becomes good and not boring, but if another QB comes in and is more exciting, I'm OK with that too.

Also, Smith was wide open on that final play, and Hurts didn't pull the trigger. It's a big talking point for Eagles fans, that play, and just in general, Hurts not making the proper reads. He (Devonta) was pissed, and some other games, like the Dallas game, Devonta is getting separation constantly and Hurts isn't seeing it. It's a problem. I feel like if Devonta had a Cousins level QB, he'd be pushing JJ's rookie record. He's getting open a lot.

https://twitter.com/Jeff_McLane/status/ ... 6720133128

killer_of_giants
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby killer_of_giants » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:49 am

mild wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:52 pm

Because we like fun?
i'd have more fun watching minshew than hurts.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:40 am

dynastyninja wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:50 pm Hard to have many positive takeaways for Hurts after that game, even with the Reagor drop. That was ugly.
Agree; You pretty much summed it all up.

Hurts was terrible. He ran decent but this is the type of game that will give the Eagles pause to reflect on what type of QB they really want in the future.

Reagor is not an NFL quality WR IMO and the team did have several drops but Hurts really looked out of place yesterday.
The Clock is Running and there are no Timeouts

murphysxm
Degenerate
Degenerate

Postby murphysxm » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:01 am

Pac_Eddy wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:31 pm Hurts reminds me of Tim Tebow. Gets fantasy points by rushing, can't throw.

"But did you see that game winning drive?'"

Yep. And if he were a decent passer, they'd have been up big at that point and wouldn't have needed late game heroics.
bingo
I am just a guy sharing some thoughts

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:40 am

One target for Goedert? ONE target! For Sanders - 9 runs for 64 yds (avg 7.1), and one reception for zero yds; Good grief. How disfunctioinal!

J.Hurts along with an inept offensive coaching staff - IS the problem. He may be good for fantasy points, but, he sure does look inept as a NFL starting Qb. Reagor's drops aside, not sure that kid has gotten a fair shake thus far either as the Philidelphia offense has been a mess for the past two seasons.
Truth is found through Evidence.

Science is the poetry of reality.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:06 pm

JFever wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:40 am One target for Goedert? ONE target! For Sanders - 9 runs for 64 yds (avg 7.1), and one reception for zero yds; Good grief. How disfunctioinal!

J.Hurts along with an inept offensive coaching staff - IS the problem. He may be good for fantasy points, but, he sure does look inept as a NFL starting Qb. Reagor's drops aside, not sure that kid has gotten a fair shake thus far either as the Philidelphia offense has been a mess for the past two seasons.
While all that is probably true I thought Reagor was a massive reach so hard to agree on that one point. He doesn't run very good routes and had suspect hands in college. While his QB wasn't very good in college he dropped a lot of balls that should have been easy catches. Always thought he needed a really accurate passer. I was stunned how high he was drafted but then again it is the Eagles.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:38 pm

Ice wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:06 pm
JFever wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:40 am One target for Goedert? ONE target! For Sanders - 9 runs for 64 yds (avg 7.1), and one reception for zero yds; Good grief. How disfunctioinal!

While all that is probably true I thought Reagor was a massive reach so hard to agree on that one point. He doesn't run very good routes and had suspect hands in college. While his QB wasn't very good in college he dropped a lot of balls that should have been easy catches. Always thought he needed a really accurate passer. I was stunned how high he was drafted but then again it is the Eagles.
Maybe a reach on Reagor, but, not a massive one imo. He was right in that mix of prospect wr with upside after Lamb and Jeudy from his class along with Jefferson, Pittman, Aiyuk, Higgins, Shenault, Claypool & Mimms. He had plenty of good and impressive tape at TCU. His drops suck though for sure. The injuries he’s dealt with and his current dysfunctional qb & offense scheme have seemingly slowed his progress.

* Reality (as defined by Webster's dictionary) - A word for things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional ideal of them.

Ice
Legend
Legend

Postby Ice » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:53 pm

JFever wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:38 pm
Ice wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:06 pm

Maybe a reach on Reagor, but, not a massive one imo. He was right in that mix of prospect wr with upside after Lamb and Jeudy from his class along with Jefferson, Pittman, Aiyuk, Higgins, Shenault, Claypool & Mimms. He had plenty of good and impressive tape at TCU. His drops suck though for sure. The injuries he’s dealt with and his current dysfunctional qb & offense scheme have seemingly slowed his progress.
No doubt there were some that liked him but there were also several that didn't have a high grade on him.

The death nail for me were his issue in dealing with press coverage. Don't mind a small catch radius if you can destroy press but he struggled and still does with Press IMO at this level.

He could improve but don't see him as an elite type personally especially in that suspect run first scheme.

He isn't close to Smith on talent IMO who I do see as a future stud.

Hurts needs to eliminate games as bad as Sunday as the Eagles are an impatient lot.

Jfever
Legend
Legend

Postby Jfever » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:08 pm

Yeah, I don’t think Reagor will ever rise up to wr1 production or consistency. Most likely a depth guy for fantasy with a low floor and a dependence on the rare TD. Agreed on Smith’s talent in comparison. With Hurts at qb, I don’t think any offensive skill position (wr/ D.Smith, te/ Goedert, rb / Sanders) can be started with confidence.

Sucks, because talent wise, Smith, Goedert, and Sanders are far more talented than their usage and fantasy production would indicate. Far less talented players on other teams are easily out producing these guys. I see a problem there in phili with this talent not translating to production. The common denominator is Hurts and the offensive coordinator / coaching staff yet we have people here seeing something very different. Strange imo.