Jalen Hurts: What's the verdict?

General talk about Dynasty Leagues.
halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Re: Jalen Hurts: What's the verdict?

Postby halfbaked88 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:37 pm

mild wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:48 pm
halfbaked88 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:09 am The gamble here is if Philly decides to draft a QB.

Best case scenario Hurts becomes poor man's Lamar Jackson.

If they do draft a QB...
He already is poor man's Lamar Jackson. He's the QB1 in Fantasy in his 2nd year as a pro, 1st year as a proper starter. That's Lamar Jackson.

No "becomes" about it.
halfbaked88 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:09 am If they do draft a QB, Hurts loses his job for X amount of time and you have no idea where he goes or what NFL team may or may not show interest in him...

But for me, personally, if he's my only QB getting me by and I can cash out Hurts and obtain a known, secure asset with 80% the ceiling, but with a contract for the next 3 years - I'm playing safe.
Name me the 2022 rookie QB that can come in and take Hurts' job right now right-off-the-bat as a rookie. I will wait.

Cool, yeah, trade away an asset that has already shown QB1 overall upside because you're scared he won't last. That's fine.

Last I checked, the point of Fantasy was to win. Taking the high-upside swings is exactly how you win championships. Trading that player away is how regrets are made.

I think you're nuts if you're trading Hurts away right now. He is -clearly- a hold with a value that is now skyrocketing. If you don't dig risk, and you can get off him for someone "safer" (that Mac Jones Q is a good one) then fair play to you - but this smells of Lamar all over again, the narrative is -literally- the same as it was his 2nd year when he was named the first ever unanimous MVP of the NFL.

"His legs won't last, this isn't sustainable"
"He will never be a good thrower"
"I'm thankful for the fantasy championship this year, but I'm going to get off Lamar for a safer option like Baker Mayfield or Aaron Rodgers"

When a players value is in such flux like this, with such an insane proven upside - it most often pays to hold.
Lamar Jackson "the 4th year veteran."* Let's see if Hurts makes it that long.

I think you're drunk off the points this year. No offense.

All of these fantasy based arguments - this "is" a fantasy forum, but NFL coaching staffs do not categorize Quarterbacks by top fantasy scoring.

The lists you gave do not enter coaching evaluation rooms of how well a QB is performing.

The reality of Nick Siriani having to adjust the offense to Hurts skill set i.e. becoming more run based may not be what the Eagles see as a success as fantasy players do.

For what it's worth, it very may well be viewed as a "weakness" when it comes time to look at the future of the QB position.

I've barely begun to look at the 22' rookie class, but ultimately what we see at the QB position from a fantasy perspective varies greatly from what real football evaluators see.

If an NFL team wants to move on from a QB I have a very, very hard time believing they'll punt the year and simply draft something else. For "value."

I'm sorry that's just not how GMs and coaches think. They draft a QB and buy more audition time to keep their jobs afloat - even if it's on a whim. They coaches blame the QB to save their jobs. It's messed up, but I've seen it over and and over and over again.

There's a human element to real life football that I think is lacking in the optimistic approach to Jalen Hurts future.

You can gamble with your dynasty team and I can definitely see solid reasoning behind why you would with Jalen Hurts.

Hurts is *DOMINATING* from a fantasy perspective this year.

My point is: I don't think that fantasy success weighs heavily on whether or not Nick Siriani, Howie Roseman and the Eagles fan-base view Jalen Hurts as a long-term future QB.

And that drafting a QB, while they have the option, is definitely, 100% going to be on the table this off-season. I'm not holding him while that occurs and watching nervously as I clutch my pearls.

I'm getting what I can for him now, if I'm not a serious contender, and moving on.

I traded Hurts for George Kittle. Then moved Kittle+ for Trevor Lawrence+ (because I needed a QB.) And I am very happy with that.

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:38 pm

The MAC Machine wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:34 pm
halfbaked88 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:09 am obtain a known, secure asset with 80% the ceiling, but with a contract for the next 3 years - I'm playing safe.
Sooooo are you saying that you dont believe Mac Jones is a known, secure assett, with a contract for the next 3 years?
OR
are you saying that you dont think that Mac Jones will be 80% of what Hurts' ceiling is? (Mac is currently producing around 67% of what Hurts is right now)

OR are you saying both?

Because it looks like Mac Jones is the most stable QB of all of the rookie QBs this season so far. Based on what you were saying it seems like upside matters less if there is no stability....but now you seem to be....backtracking a little. Which way are you really leaning with this?
Did you miss the part where I said I would trade for Mac Jones?

ChinAntlerParseMans
Combine Attendee
Combine Attendee

Postby ChinAntlerParseMans » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:29 pm

Saw a stat today that compared him to Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson. As a passer, I don't think he's quite there, but he also needs his receivers to develop and to get better talent around him.

Not that the Eagles have bad talent. They still got some good players out there, but meh, 5-6 is a bit deceptive, even though they got 4 games left against NYG and WFT.

Anteaters
Legend
Legend

Postby Anteaters » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:56 am

Pullo Vision wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:06 pm Thoughts on Tyrod Taylor as a comp? Similar rough skills and a good locker room guy.
:thumbup:
Great comp and approximates my prediction for career course for Hurts.
TEAM 1:
12 Team ppr w/20 keepers - start 1QB 2RB 3WR 1TE 1FLX 6IDP 1DEF
QB: Tua, Lamar, Levis
RB: Etienne, Pacheco, JavonteWms, JFord, CEH
WR: Lamb, JChase, Waddle, Pickens, MWilliams, Q Johnston
TE: Goedert, Friermuth
DEF: Cowboys, Ravens
IDP:(LB) Bolton, Greenlaw; (DE/DL) ZCollins, BJHill; (S/CB) Pitre, Bates, Witherspoon
2023 & 2022 Champion: 2020 third place: 2019 Champion

TEAM 2:
14 Team 30roster SF/ppr/TEP - QB/RB/WR/TE/5FLX/SF
QB: Tua, CJStroud, Carr, AOC, MWhite, Lock
RB: Etienne, Stevenson, GusE, AJD, Singletary, CEH, Spiller
WR: Amon-Ra, Kirk, Dell, Thielen, Gallup, Ch Jones
TE: Andrews, Waller, Taysom, Smythe, WMallory, JOliver
2023 semifinals loser

honcho55
All Pro
All Pro

Postby honcho55 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:42 pm

Knowing your league setup, rosters, scoring, league mate tendencies, etc, is an enormous part of this game, and often overlooked. (Likely not as much by people on FF forums)

I think this Hurts case is a perfect example.

His current production, weighed against his future uncertainty, looked at through the lens of your specific league? Thoughts are gonna vary. I believe that is contributing to why this thread got so long.

10 team, 1QB league? Say you’re not a contender, and someone hoards QBs? Potentially easiest sell in the world.

14 team SF, you’re a contender? Even if you’re on the side that thinks he’s not a long term asset, he is still worth a ton.

Odder leagues, like the one that I have him in and inspired this post: auction keeper SF, where he’s super cheap, he’s possibly my teams MVP.
main league, half PPR, all TDs 6, -3 for INT
12 team. 2019 champ, 2020 runner up, ‘21 3rd
start 2SF, 2RB, 2WR, 1TE, 2WRT

QB: T Lawrence, K Cousins, R Wilson, Z Wilson
RB: K Walker, T Ettiene, JK Dobbins, D Gore, J Hasty, D Johnson, L Rountree
WR: JJ, AJB, A Cooper, Juju, C Kirk, J Dotson, N Westbrook-Ikhine, I McKenzie
TE. T Kelce, Pitts, Albert O, D Parham, J O’Shaunessy

1.03, 1.11, 2.02, 2.09
Extra 24 1st

Cameron Giles
GOAT
GOAT

Postby Cameron Giles » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:54 am

Starting to give me Josh Allen vibes in the sense that some people are cautious on his improvement and trajectory, and won't be sold until it's too late. The upside is there for a huge breakout next season and he's starting to show it some this year.

From a fantasy perspective, he has only 2 games as a starter where he's scored below 20 points.

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:25 am

Cameron Giles wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:54 am Starting to give me Josh Allen vibes in the sense that some people are cautious on his improvement and trajectory, and won't be sold until it's too late. The upside is there for a huge breakout next season and he's starting to show it some this year.

From a fantasy perspective, he has only 2 games as a starter where he's scored below 20 points.
As a passer he's shown basically nothing. In terms of Allen, he came into the NFL with everybody knowing he had ridiculous arm talent, and a huge ceiling because of that, from an NFL stand point. Hurts isn't in the same ball park, not even close, in that regard. I know you are talking about his improvement trajectory, but Hurts ceiling as a passer just isn't close to paralleling Allen's.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

Shcritters
MVP
MVP

Postby Shcritters » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:01 pm

If today doesn’t make the point that he isn’t a passer I don’t know what will.*

*from someone who is rooting for him to develop as a passer
Gopher Two
PPR SF, WR & TE Premium (WR 1.2 PPR , TE 1.5 PPR), 10 total starters, 1 QB, 1SF, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Mahomes, Prescott, Mayfield
RB: Hall, Pacheco, Jacobs, Connor, Chubb, Mattison
WR: Tyreek, AJ Brown, Flowers, CSutton, JJeudy, Slayton, Iosivas
TE: McBride, DSchultz, Musgrave, Kraft, MGesicki
2024: 1.02, 2.02
2022 and 2023 League Champ

SafeLeague #1 (12 team, SF, 2.0 PPR TE Prem). 10 total starters 1 QB, 1SF (QB/TE/RB/WR), 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 3 Flex
QB: Purdy, Levis, DTR
RB: Pacheco + scrubs
WR: Downs, MMims, EMoore, Jeudy, MWilson + scrubs
TE: Hock, Kincaid, Pitts, Mayer + scrubs
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.11, 2.01, 2.02, 2.06,
2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds

SafeLeague #2
QB: Purdy, Richardson, Hooker, Willis
RB: literal ZERO RB (for now)
WR: Mingo, MMims, Toney, Skyy, Iosivas
TE: LaPorta, Kincaid, McBride, Mayer, Musgrave, Schoonmaker (and a bunch more 2nd stringers)
2024: 1.01, 1.05, 1.06, 1.08, 1.09, 1.10, 2.01, 2.05, 2.06
2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:45 pm

Shcritters wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:01 pm If today doesn’t make the point that he isn’t a passer I don’t know what will.*

*from someone who is rooting for him to develop as a passer
"The Eagles schedule. So EZ. Going undefeated ROS. QB = Solved...."

No worries, the next time he rushes for 30 pts again this will all be forgotten by the fantasy football community.

Howie Roseman won't forget though. Nick Siriani won't. And the Eagles fans won't.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:54 pm

halfbaked88 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:45 pm "The Eagles schedule. So EZ. Going undefeated ROS. QB = Solved...."

No worries, the next time he rushes for 30 pts again this will all be forgotten by the fantasy football community.

Howie Roseman won't forget though. Nick Siriani won't. And the Eagles fans won't.
First paragraph of Dane Brugler's latest 2022 draft top 50:
It might not be surprising, but it is interesting that there are zero quarterbacks or wide receivers among the top 15 prospects. It is rare for there to be more quarterbacks drafted on Day 2 than Day 1 (it has only happened once over the last 13 years). However, it could happen this April because while it is easy to like some of the quarterbacks in the 2022 class, it is hard to love them.
I'll say it again: name for me the rookie 2022 QB that could come in and unseat Hurts next year.

He was brutal today. No two ways about it. He still had multiple chances to win the game where he did his job and was let down by his surrounding talent. That might stick out to Howie too...

FantasyFreak
GOAT
GOAT

Postby FantasyFreak » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:28 pm

mild wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:54 pm
halfbaked88 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:45 pm "The Eagles schedule. So EZ. Going undefeated ROS. QB = Solved...."

It might not be surprising, but it is interesting that there are zero quarterbacks or wide receivers among the top 15 prospects. It is rare for there to be more quarterbacks drafted on Day 2 than Day 1 (it has only happened once over the last 13 years). However, it could happen this April because while it is easy to like some of the quarterbacks in the 2022 class, it is hard to love them.
I'll say it again: name for me the rookie 2022 QB that could come in and unseat Hurts next year.

He was brutal today. No two ways about it. He still had multiple chances to win the game where he did his job and was let down by his surrounding talent. That might stick out to Howie too...
Corrall, Howell, possibly one or two others. I mean, if they decide to go that route, Hurts likely gets moved, or is a place holder perhaps to start the year. If they use a first on a QB, they are going to be playing at some point next year, more than likely. I'm not saying they will go that route, I am just saying IF they do.
"You're a creep. You got caught.." -Dan Patrick

halfbaked88
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby halfbaked88 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:35 pm

mild wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:54 pm

A 22' rookie doesn't have to unseat Hurts next year.

Management will do that for him.

Your question is superfluous. It's too early to accurately determine which QBs and how much hype they'll generate. There's still lots of time and opportunity for college QBs to put on a show at bowl games, make good film and generate media hype to sway evaluators.

Likewise, theres lots of time for bad film from current NFL QBs to work themselves out of a job.

You can look up any article at imright.com and find supporting evidence, but really the only one thing you can count on is by this summer: all of that's going to change.

As of right now, by my casual Google research, at least 3 QBs have a good chance of being drafted in the 1st round: Kenny Pickett, Matt Corral and Carson Strong.

All of these guys have better passing potential than Hurts.

And guess what? If any of them are slated as Day 1 consensus prospects the Eagles will be looking at them.

If they determine Hurts can't develop fast enough, which at this point is a pretty good assumption in Eagles time, the Eagles will draft another developmental QB, because Siriani thinks he's a guru and has to prove it. To keep his job. Otherwise next year they're gonna be looking to get rid of HIM.

Ultimately, Hurts was a 2nd round QB. It's nothing to lose him.

Top 15 prospect or not, "any" 1st round QB will be on the table come draft time.

If this kind of play continues or we find more 3-4 INT games, I mean come on, that QB might not even need to be a 1st rounder. They might take another 2nd round QB. Hello, QB controversy.

I'm just waiting for Minshew to be named a starter. Ooo just wait.

DJB
Ring of Fame
Ring of Fame

Postby DJB » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:41 pm

He was absolutely trash today. Poor decision making on a number of occasions and bad throws.

Hopefully bounces back next week
Follow me on Twitter @NickDynastyff

remedy29
Pro Bowler
Pro Bowler

Postby remedy29 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:20 pm

Was I watching a different game? Didn't Hurts throw an extreme easy catchable ball for the win that his WR dropped?

That WR, Reagor, will be out of the league way sooner than Hurts.

Hurts had a bad game, but winnable. He just didn't have a winnable roster to work with.

mild
Legend
Legend

Postby mild » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:33 pm

remedy29 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:20 pm Was I watching a different game? Didn't Hurts throw an extreme easy catchable ball for the win that his WR dropped?

That WR, Reagor, will be out of the league way sooner than Hurts.

Hurts had a bad game, but winnable. He just didn't have a winnable roster to work with.
That definitely happened. Twice... off Reagors hands both times.

But. They were in that position because of some notably bone-headed decisions of his own in the earlier going that he needs to learn from. Closing out the half, seconds left on the clock, he forces a sideline throw that is INT'd... just throw that away bud. Take the 3 points, tie the game.

Hopefully he learns these lessons and learns not to "beat himself" a little more going forward. It's clear that if he's in an offense that caters to his skill set, then he can have success. That's all just learning to be a pro, and lets hope he keeps doing that - because we should want to root for him to be a starter in this league with the kind of scoring he is capable of putting up.

Trust the Giants and their bust of a 50 million dollar defense to fire a coach, then finally wake up for a Week 13 Philly game in an already-lost season. :lol: